WR Cody Latimer visits Seahawks

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm with 17 Comments »
April 15, 2014 10:50 pm

As expected, Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer visited the Seahawks on Tuesday.

Latimer is projected as a third-rounder by NFLdraftscout.com.

He’s 6-foot-3, 215 pounds and led Indiana with 1,093 receiving yards. His Pro Day was April 4. Here’s a report from NFLdraftscout.com on that:

Speaking of underrated prospects. Indiana’s Cody Latimer has flown under the radar since the wide receiver declared early for the draft. But after his pro day this week, that might no longer be the case. Latimer ran a 4.38 40-yard dash and turned some heads with his speed and athleticism just two months removed from surgery on his left foot.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound wideout is a former basketball player who decided to play football in high school and found a new love. And NFL scouts are loving what he brings to the field, although clearly still growing and developing. Latimer, who also showed his strength with 23 reps on the bench press, was originally expected to be drafted somewhere on day two of the draft and his pro day performance only confirmed that thought. – Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Teams can host up to 30 players during the pre-draft process. This was one of multiple visits for Latimer.

The Seahawks are also reported to have visits from or scheduled with wide receivers Brandin Cooks and Kevin Cummings of Oregon State, plus Kevin Smith of Washington. Having watched a lot of Smith, I can relay that he is fast and has decent size at 5-11 and 214 pounds. Smith was hurt in 2010 and 2012 before having a solid senior season in 2013 when he had 50 catches for 765 yards, averaging 15.3 yards per catch.

Running back Terrance West of Towson also reportedly visited the Seahawks on Tuesday. Here’s a bio of West, whom NFLdraftscout.com projects as a third-round pick.

1. chuck_easton says:

Interesting that the first two confirmed visits are by guys with 3rd round projections. Considering the team doesn’t have a 3rd round pick this year.

Sounds like the team is just doing its homework to either consider going ‘off menu’ like they did with Irvin and Carpenter, or in hopes that one of these guys falls to the bottom of the 4th round.

2. chuck_easton says:

But then again, the final pick in the 2nd round is pretty much the 1st pick in the 3rd round so taking a guy with a 3rd round grade with that last pick wouldn’t be too much of a reach.

3. Singularitarian says:

Lol Latimer probably won’t make it out of the first 40 picks, probably won’t even be available at pick 32

4. agreed with Singularitarian.

5. HawkfaninMT says:

Not agreed with Singulatarian… :)

I feel like The top tier of WRs is :Waltkins, Evans, OBJ, Cooks, Lee, and maybe Benjamin. Those are your 1st rounders IMO.

2nd tier, and I don’t see much separation between them, is: Moncrief, Latimer, Coleman, Matthews, Robinson, and Bryant. I am still a fan of Landry, but apparently his draft stock is plummeting a bit. Fine by me if he is available in the 4th!

I would be surprised if 2 of those tier 2 guys are not available with our 2nd pick. Which ones? I have no idea! But I would prefer it to be Coleman, Bryant or Latimer

6. Yeah, I think they are looking at these guys for our 2nd round pick, which is essentially a 3rd rounder. It would be stupid to spend a bunch of time looking at guys with 2nd round grades, as the likelihood of them being available at 64 is pretty slim… unless of course you are thinking of possibly taking them at 32.

7. yankinta says:

I prefer M. Bryant over Latimer but I seriously doubt either will be available at 64th overall pick. But there’s a good chance Coleman will be there at 64th.

8. doubledink says:

Gotta love that size and speed though.

9. yankinta says:

doubledink, Bryant is about same size but a lot faster,, although Latimer has stronger hands and ex-baskeball player…. I love both but prefer Bryant…

10. yankinta says:

YankinTa Loved this Mock Draft… :)

- 32nd overall (1st rd) – Joel Bitonio, OT/G/C, Nevada, future Pro Bowl LG or eventual replacement for Okung.

- 64th overall (2nd rd) – Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson, 4.4 speed at this size is exactly what we need, imo.

- 96th overall (3rd rd) – Traded to Vikings. But if we still had it, I would have liked to get Brent Urban, DE/DT Virginia.

- 132nd overall (4rd rd) – Xavier Grimble, TE, USC
    There’s a chance Zach Miller won’t be back next year, so the Seahawks will have to find another tight end to go along with Luke Willson.

- 146nd overall (5th rd) – Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
    The Seahawks will also need depth at corner, given that Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond both left.

- 172nd overall (5th rd) – Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida
    The Seahawks lost Chris Clemons, so they may want to add another pass-rusher during the draft.

11. Singularitarian says:

I think Latimere is a better run blocker, more solid physically and a better route runner. Seattle wants a big cat who can also help out in the run game, go over the middle, and go up and get it (39 inch verticle). I think Seattle hasn’t given up on the receiver they were looking for in Chris Harper, problem was, Harper wasn’t it. Cody Latimer could be

12. Singularitarian says:

The dude has some serious ups for 6’3 215. look at his dunks in basketball. He’s almost nba dunk contest quality jumper. Highlights are for suckers, but watch him high point and shield the ball at 1:10 and watch his break away speed throughout. also peep the dunks at the end just for an athletic perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqSAqtWmXuM

13. Singularitarian says:

what you don’t see in the highlights is his natural physical run blocking and decent routes for a fairly new football player

14. yankinta says:

I agree with you on all those…. I noticed those qualities too. I guess I am a sucker for elite speed at that size. I would still love it if we get either but just leaning towards Bryant cuz of the speed…. :)

15. HawkfaninMT says:

Holy moly I agree with Yankinta!

The only thing I would change is the TE, who I don’t know from Adam, to a DL. Urban would be an amazing “get” in the 4th… Along with Marcus Smith or Will Sutton. That would open the other 5th for Dowling from Western Kentucky

16. yankinta says:

HawkfaninMT,, that’s just means you’re getting close to 95% accuracy,, lol :)