49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested at LAX

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm with 42 Comments »
April 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Sunday afternoon became another headache for the Seahawks’ arch rival, the San Francisco 49ers.

Linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport after claiming he had a bomb, according to airport police. Smith was randomly selected for secondary screening, which led to an altercation and arrest.

“The suspect then became belligerent and uncooperative with the process and with the TSA agent, making a comment indicating that he was in possession of a bomb before proceeding toward the gate area,” Sgt. Karla Ortiz said in a statement.

Smith was released on $20,000 bail, according to multiple reports, after being booked for felony false report of a bomb threat.

Smith has been arrested numerous times.

Sept. 20 of last year, he was charged with driving under the influence. He received the same charge in January of 2012.

In addition, from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Smith, one of the Niners’ all-time best pass rushers, also faces three felony weapons charges stemming from a party at his house in June 2012, during which he reportedly fired a gun into the air and was stabbed while two others were shot. He pleaded not guilty to the weapons charges.

San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick and wide receiver Quinton Patton, plus Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, were under investigation for possible sexual misconduct stemming from an incident allegedly occurring in Lockette’s Miami apartment April 3. Kaepernick denied the allegations on Twitter. No charges have been filed.

All of which has prompted this from columnist Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News:

The San Francisco 49ers crime crisis routine is set, and it would be mundane if it weren’t so embarrassing for a franchise that is recently falling so short of its long-held ideals.

The pattern: A 49ers player gets in some kind of trouble with the authorities, 49ers general manager Trent Baalke issues a terse response indicating little, and the legal process churns on, ever so slowly.

Oh, and the player remains on the team, most especially if he’s a very good player.

Not the kind of offseason the 49ers were hoping for.

1. Macabrevity says:

As much as I am absolutely loving the ’49ers crime crisis’ I will say that those TSA guys have a way of really pushing people over the edge. I remember an 80+ year old woman in front of me at Sea-Tac, coming into the country, just getting grilled to the point of tears. Then they got to me and I almost had to laugh when they combed through my bag and found ‘suspicious’ pine needles in the bottom left over from a camping trip. I still have the image of that guy wearing a rubber glove and holding a pine needle up to the light, eye-brows furrowed while he spun it in his fingers ever so cautiously.

2. FleaFlicker says:

Seems like the players need the football season even more than the fans

3. seatowntp says:

“I’ve definitely noticed it,” Harbaugh said (of the suspension situation in Seattle),

“Play by the rules. You want to be above reproach. . .” Jim Harbaugh

If Aldon Smith doesn’t receive a suspension by the NFL, then there is collusion between the league and the whiners!

4. SF is probably considering all their options right now. I’m not holding my breath on their social conscience pushing them to get penalize AS or trade him.

Here is an interesting link I just found on how they want to upgrade their receiver corps to better compete with Seattle, and tweaking their offense: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/harbaugh-hints-at-changes-to-49ers-offense.html

5. banosser says:

While being flipent with the TSA is never a wise thing to do, this latest bonehead maneuver by Smith will hardly be the straw that breaks the camels back for him… but it does continue to make that program and their coach look like douche-bags..

6. RDPoulsbo says:

Whenever TSA is doing ‘random’ checks, they always ‘randomly’ pick me. Every single time, no exception. I just pay the checked luggage fee just so I can get it over with a quickly as possible. Yes, I’m even picked when I have no carry on luggage. No use complaining and risk getting arrested like Smith. At best, it doesn’t change anything.

That’s 3 pending criminal cases for Smith now. As much as the 49ers are reluctant to punish him and the league wanting to wait for the courts to decide, this might be too much for Goodell to not take action.

7. Macabrevity says:

I hope the league makes a statement with this guy…

8. HawkFromDay1 says:

Eagerly awaiting the public service announcement starring Aldon Smith:

“Let’s face it: even in this age of state-sponsored terrorism, jokes about taking a bomb on a plane are still freaking hilarious. But in front of TSA, it’s a good idea to keep those knee-slappers to yourself… I mean unless you have a good attorney and an unlimited budget for legal fees – then just let it rip!

So take it from me kids: every time you fly, make sure to have at least $20K in your Louis Vutton fanny pack for bail – that way you can say anything to anyone, and still hit the blackjack table before the buffet opens.

Always remember: felony onvictions are avoidable via fame and money – and felony charges are just the sign of a good time!”

9. Singularitarian says:

TSA deuches suck. They really infringe on freedom of speech. He probably just said something sarcastic like “yeah, I really have a bomb”

10. SaigonSun says:

The “filthy whiners” deserve all the hate, but it is hard for me to defend the scum from TSA. Some of those bastard don’t deserve to be called human.

11. Southendzone says:

The more important thing about this stupid move is that 6 or 7 months after his in-patient treatment for substance abuse, he was reportedly drinking earlier in the day and his belligerent attitude at the airport supports that claim.

He’s one step from the Leonard Little ring of honor.

12. Million dollar athlete with a ten cent head.

13. You’re giving his head too much value assessing it at a dime.

14. chuck_easton says:

The issue isn’t if Smith was profiled. The issue is once he was ‘randomly selected’ he was stupid enough to utter the “B” word at an airport. That is full stop.

Signs are everywhere in the security area.

Don’t even ‘joke’ about such things or you will be arrested.

How is this suddenly the fault of the TSA workers? We’ve all been there. We’ve all been held up for some reason or another at the airport. Yes, it’s frustrating as hell. But you just go with the flow and get it over with as quickly as possible.

I’ve missed my flight because of security. Guess what? The airline just got me on the next available plane going to the same direction. It’s not like Smith was going to miss some important meeting that would end his career if he didn’t make that exact flight.

So, the blame is totally on him. The TSA people were doing their job.

15. Aldon Smith is a very good football player, but is a little short on discretion. I don’t think this warrants a fine, though.

16. HawkFromDay1 says:

Oh he’s getting a fine. You can’t mess around with a federal agency, get charged with a felony and have the league say “eh.. not a big deal.”

Did Golden get fined for stealing donuts? So yeah…. this is worse.

17. Whatever happened at LAX is not an isolated event. Aldon has created a pattern of poor judgment. Something needs to get his attention before he sinks his career with a major screwup. Hefty fine might help in that direction.

18. stantak, I would agree with you in the fact that this situation doesn’t warrant a fine if it was a first offense. But when coupled with the two DUI’s and the mysterious stabbing all within a two year period makes a fining and suspending instance. Also, didn’t he just to rehab? So the fact that he was suspected of being drunk when at the airport is another issue.

It is the overall pattern that needs to be looked at, not just the isolated incident.

19. ChrisHolmes says:

“Play by the rules. You want to be above reproach. . .” Jim Harbaugh

Glad someone quoted that. Because that (old) quote is the best part of this news story.

If Harbaugh wants to sit on his high horse, I hope he can tolerate the stench of the manure pile he’s standing in.

Personally, I hate hypocrites.

Feeling a bit of schadenfreude today…

20. RDPoulsbo says:

At a very minimum, he’ll get a hefty fine from the feds for this one. No, I don’t like dealing with the TSA anymore than the next guy, but you don’t mess around like that just like you can’t yell fire in movie theater and claim free speech.

He’s been lucky so far that the wheels of justice move incredibly slow in the state of California, but with 4 ongoing legal issues on for completely separate incidents (I forgot about the earlier DUI to go with the DUI he had last September). Goodell has dropped the hammer for conduct detrimental to the league for reasons much less serious than that.

21. Could get put on the “no fly” list for this without even being notified. Following a suspension, that’d be too funny if he had to miss a game for that as well. Unsure if that applies to a chartered jet or not. If that’s the case they’ll have to charter a chauffer, because they sure as hell ain’t going to want him driving cross country. Hard to imagine he still has a driver’s license after that attempted tree homicide. I still can’t get over him still asleep at the wheel with his foot on the gas. Has to be more than simply alcohol, you’d think.

22. Sign Rice Immediately!

23. I would be really happy with re-signing Rice to an appropriate contract. It would really give us flexibility heading into the draft.

24. #1 with a bullet.
    After placing 2nd in 2013 for NFL Crime & PED infractions ~ The 9ers are making a strong push to be #1 in 2014… (5th in 2012)

2013
    2014

25. Ray_Maines says:

San Feloncisco?

26. jawpeace says:

Ray LOL I like San Feloncisco!

27. Southendzone says:

I could see Rice coming in and if everything fell just right, being a dominant WR again. I know this is a really optimistic point of view, but the guy has all the measureables to be a true #1 WR.

I think he’s only 28 years old too.

28. Rice contract 1Year $8 Million , NO GUARANTEES,$500,000 a game,NO PLAY,NO PAY!

29. My wishful thinking!

30. which hawk got caught with 100 vicodin as a rookie.. that wasn’t golden was it.

31. Rice is going into his age 28 year.

“Rice contract 1Year $8 Million , NO GUARANTEES,$500,000 a game,NO PLAY,NO PAY!”

I wouldn’t give him 8 mil, but I’d like to have Rice back. And you can’t sign a contract like that exactly. They’d have top guarantee him the vet minimum should he be on the roster week 1 and have the rest cme in the form of incentives. You can’t guarantee less than the vet minimum as I understand it.

32. “Smith, one of the Niners’ all-time best pass rushers, also faces three felony weapons charges stemming from a party at his house in June 2012, during which he reportedly fired a gun into the air and was stabbed while two others were shot. He pleaded not guilty to the weapons charges.”

I’ve always thought that it’s not much of a party if someone isn’t stabbed and a couple of people aren’t shot. ;-)

I’m not going to root for someone’s life to go down the toilet, even if they’re a Whiner, but it is nice to thi9nk of that big, smug smile being wiped off of that douche Harbarf’s ugly mug.

33. I remember ex-Chargers Safety Kevin Ellison getting caught with Vicodin after signing with the Seahawks afew yrs ago. He was busted down here in my neighborhood.

34. rramstad says:

bbmate is right. The deal for Rice would absolutely have to be set up as something where he’s guaranteed at least vet minimum, and then has incentives for the rest. I believe the players union does not allow contracts that have per game incentives, but you clearly could give him a big bump for a minimum eight games started, or similar, and another at twelve or so i.e. still giving yourself a lot of protection against him missing a lot of time.

35. Don’t know why you’d call the police if you had drugged a girl? Looks good for Lockette at least if he truly called the police. Way too early to make any determinations, which is why this shouldn’t even be in the press. Not sure why it’s okay to drag someones’ name through the mud before charges have even been filed.

36. jawpeace says:

Rice may be 28 but his legs are NFL aged to about 34.

37. vichawkfan says:

We OWE Aldon Smith our support. If it wasn’t for his offsides and lack of effort on the Kearse 4th down TD who knows if we win a SuperBowl!

38. letsworkitout says:

There are idiots on every team.