Seahawks at Safeco, and Miller talks restructuring

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm with 26 Comments »
April 9, 2014 12:04 am
Russell Wilson lines up the ceremonial first pitch Tuesday night at Safeco Field. / AP photo

A handful of Seahawks were at Safeco Field on Tuesday night for the Mariners’ home opener. Russell Wilson was high and outside with the ceremonial first pitch to Felix Hernandez. According to sources, he immediately went to the Mariners’ video room to breakdown the throw.

Wilson said he has been working out six days a week. Everywhere he goes — and he has been everywhere during the offseason — he said he works out.

“Every morning,” Wilson said. “It never stops. Biggest thing is watching my film and working out every day (except Sunday).”

Wilson said he will be gathering a group of Seahawks to again work out on the beach in California, like he did last year.

Joining Wilson on Tuesday were Malcolm Smith, Jermaine Kearse, K.J. Wright, Bobby Wagner, Mike Morgan, Pete Carroll, Zach Miller and the Super Bowl trophy. The Seahawks entered from the center field gate to thunderous applause after a video montage.

Miller’s offseason has been non-stop. That’s a byproduct of his 14-month-old twin daughters, Kaydence and Remi, a duo more challenging than any Sunday opponent.

“The hard work is way harder at home,” Miller said. “They’re going all day. It’s way easier to play football, for me at least.”

Miller’s return to the Seahawks was in question because of his large salary. He re-structured his deal in order to return and give Seattle $3 million of salary cap relief this season. Miller has been in the NFL for seven seasons. He’s well aware of mechanics of offseason money management for teams.

“You never know,” Miller said. “I’ve been around long enough that I know the business of the NFL. It’s something you hear rumors about; you never know until you hear from the horse’s mouth (that you will be asked to restructure). I’m just happy to be back. Love to be on this team, love playing with these guys. For me, it never was a question of being anywhere else, I wanted to be here.

“Obviously, it’s not a situation you want to be in. I understand the business aspect of the NFL. I’m just happy to be here for another season.”

Miller said the climate around the Seahawks was a large factor when assessing his options.

“There’s nothing like it in the rest of the NFL, I don’t think,” Miller said.

1. surelyyoujest says:

“There’s nothing like it in the rest of the NFL, I don’t think,” Miller said.

I think that is 100% true. And it’s not surprising since PC is the only coach that I am aware of that has a model for running a football Team like this. I think he might be the only coach that has a model period. Most coaches can talk about what they expect, and how they run their Team…..but that’s not the same thing as having a defined model.

Everything from how they practice, to how the develop CB’s, to how they play defense (philosophically), how they play offense (again, the philosophy), how they treat people, team rules, etc, etc. You could franchise it it’s so developed.

It’s ironic that Pete was chastised as a rah, rah guy coming out of college, but in reality he puts more responsibility on the players than many coaches. He doesn’t treat them like kids, he treats them like men.

I’m thrilled about the SB win, but I’m just as thrilled that we have the best run organization in football…..and perhaps in professional sport (with a nod to the Detroit Redwings). Which is why some of you rascals tick me off with your nit picking from time to time. But I understand that it is sadly human nature, so have at it. Pick your daily nit.

2. montanamike2 says:

I feel good the way we’ve been elevated from over a decade of cellar dwelling to championship caliber football in only a few years. The culture has changed for years to come, it’s true that we have a plan, but no one other than the FO knows what it is. Now teams dread the NFC West and it starts on top with us!

3. yankinta says:

I hope RW will invite Taylor Price to his throwing/workout session in Cali.

Taylor Price has Elite Speed, 4.30 40 time in Combine back in 2010.
    Hopefully he still has the speed and RW can turn him into a Legit WR… :)

4. SandpointHawk says:

What decade are you speaking of? The Seahawks have gone to the Superbowl twice in the last decade. Never mind, maybe you meant the 90′s…

5. trout_hound says:

I kind of feel like we short changed Zack Miller a bit. The dude has always been a baller, did what we asked. I hope he has some big incentive clauses in that reduced contract or something. That big of a salary drop would be a tough pill to swallow. Huge respect for the guy for sticking around.

6. yankinta says:

I love this Mock Draft here…. We get JOEL BITONIO and 49ers get MARQISE LEE with 30th overall pick. LOB does not have to worry about undersized WR that does not have Elite speed. We’ll continue to own them the next 5 years…49er FO is sooo bad at drafting, which is Great for us. :)

trout_hound, I disagree. He’s lucky to earn that (our loyalty speaks volume here, imo). No one else in the league would be willing to pay that much for an Older TE that has lost a ton of speed…

7. HawkfaninMT says:

@Trout: I could be wrong but he was paid handsomely in his first couple of years for the amount of production he gave. I realize recs and tds don’t tell the whole story. I believe he has been one of the top 5 paid Hawks over the last 2 years.

8. Southendzone says:

Do you think Bitonio is better than Morgan Moses? Moses has a much more prototypical OT body than Joe does.

9. This is why we need to make OL top priority. If we solidify RT this frees up the TE and gives us better receiver options. Zack Miller and Luke Willson will give defenses more problems.

10. HawkfaninMT says:

I would prefer Moses to Bitonio, but thats just my opinion. The benefit, to my ear, is that Bitonio can kick inside to Guard as well as play Tackle. This versatility gives him an edge over Moses in some minds.

I feel like Bailey and Bowie could play either OG position, along with Sweezey and Carp. Because of their solid contributions, and ability to backup OT in a pinch, I feel like going with a more solid OT like Moses is more beneficial.

Or going with James or Richardson, from Tenn, in the 2nd if WR/DE/DT is the pick at 32

11. trout_hound says:

I don’t disagree that Zack made a st-ton of money already. But less than a million a year? That seems cheap. And yeah, maybe he’s not the guy he was with the Raiders, but he can still play.

12. yankinta says:

I’m not sure if OL is top priority in this draft but we’ll be getting a couple of OT for sure… I like the idea of red shirting Brandon Thomas (recent ACL tear), if we can get him at 7th round or as a Undrafted FA.

I’m not a high on giving Okung a new contract in 2016, if he’s gonna cost close to 10M a year. The fact that we have a Top 3 QB in the league that has proven he can play behind an OL that ranked 32nd in Pass Protection in 2013, makes High Paid LT a luxury that we probably can live without….

13. Singularitarian says:

less than a million a year? What are you speaking of Trout?

14. HawkfaninMT says:

Yeah, i think he is still set to make 4M this year… Or atleast count that much against the cap

15. MoSeahawk12 says:

They ranked 32nd in pass protection due in large part that Okung and Gino missed half the season and Unger missed many games as well. Throw in rookies at the tackle positions and an old guard playing left tackle for a brutal stretch and we were lucky Wilson made it through the season. I wouldn’t count on that happening again.

16. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12, you’re probably right. But the fact is RW took a team to Super Bowl behind O-Line that ranked 32nd in Pass Protection, while facing top 7 Defenses all year long, especially late in the Season…..

Now let’s take a moment and let that fact sink in. It definitely makes me Smile. :)

This is why he’s Top 3 QB in my book, hands down!! No other QB would have survived that let alone making it to the playoff, winning playoff games and SB.

17. Ray_Maines says:

What if…

What if Sweezy, Bailey and Bowie mature properly, and the ‘Hawks draft a good right tackle? What if Okung and Unger stay healthy, and what if James Carpenter drops 30 lbs. and comes back in great shape?

What would this offence look like with an above average O-Line? It would be terrifying.

18. mquinn73 says:

Anyone else starting to get a little concerned with the team’s apparent inactivity in free agency?

We’ve lost some key veteran leadership which will not be easily replaced and we will be drawing lots from the back of the queue in the draft.

Will we hear news of extensions for Thomas and/or Sherman before the draft?

Are we done on free agent signings (not counting third-level squad fillers like Taylor Price, etc.)?

How much confidence should we have that last season’s underperforming draft class (Michael, Hill, Williams, Simon) will deliver something substantial this season?

As things stand, how much poorer is the current squad from last season’s Superbowl champs?

19. HawkfaninMT says:

Not concerned in the least…

The extensions will happen and this team will be great. If they had spent a bunch on Melton and Allen i would be more concerned. Neither of those guys is worth ET or Sherman

20. My feeling is that inactive in free agency likely means progress (or expected progress) in extending core players. So if we were to fast forward to the future and look back we might say “Wow they were sure smart to not spend much in free agency and keep the core intact”. I’d like to say that looking back after their third superbowl win. : )

21. Southendzone says:

McQ, I’m not concerned with the apparent inactivity at all. They are playing it the way they intended to, with the unfortunate loss of Tate, who they would have liked to retain at lower $.

I think ET is really likely to be re-worked, I don’t know if it will be prior to draft or not. When that and/or Sherman happens, you can think of it as if we just signed 2 ELITE free agents in 2015.

Those 4 guys you mentioned is pretty tough to speculate on. Hill saw the most time and looked OK. My opinion is he will get a good opportunity to compete this year with the turnover on D-Line.

22. freedom_X says:

Young players won’t get the opportunities on strong teams. Byron Maxwell could have been called an underachieving draft pick – until he got his chance to start. Same with Jeremy Lane. If there hadn’t been injuries and suspensions, we still might be wondering if these guys could play. If I recall correctly, injuries are what gave Richard Sherman himself his big break.

With some spots opening up, last year’s draft class will get a legitimate chance to show what they have. Seattle picked players more in the mold of projects anyway, knowing that it was unlikely even a precocious rookie would win a spot on the loaded 2013 Seattle team. At least 28 of the other 31 teams wishes their rosters were as poor as Seattle’s is now.

23. MoSeahawk12 says:

Russell was a huge factor in last years success for sure. I’d say the D more so, best in the league and all. But absorbing another 50+ sacks would be like having a black cat jump off a ladder into a mirror. I think our O-line rebounds from massive injuries and stands strong this year. I agree Ray_Maines, that would be the best kind of terror, for the rest of the league.

24. yankinta says:

lol, we all know the D played well at times but there were many games where RW had to carry/bail out the Defense. Carolina, Houston, Jags, Colts, just a few example..

25. trout_hound says:

My bad, swear I read it was 950K somewhere, which seemed insane. 3-4 million works.

26. Most SB teams loose 1/3 of their starters the next yr. Their only hope is that depth steps up and they can only hope to be a step under their championship year. Hawks were different, loosing not starters but depth. In our case we don’t need depth to become starters but we need only for our depth to replace the depth we lost. Red and Clem were being phased out and replaced by Avril,Bennett, McDaniel. Maxwell and lane already beat out Browner and Thurmond. Tate and Kearse became regulars only because Harvin Rice went down. Harvin is back and Kearse was better than rice. Breno was being beaten out by Bowie/Bailey, and Carp had set McQuisten permanently on the bench. Hawks will be just fine and go for back to back SB. Our new depth will be as good as our lost depth over the course of the season. Hawks will be just fine.