Morning Links: First-round reboot

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 8, 2014 at 11:55 am with 25 Comments »
April 8, 2014 12:32 pm

Good morning.

Today, we’ll start looking at the draft in various ways. Over the next few days, we’ll take a round-by-round look at the picks in the John Schneider era. We’ll start with the first round.

For comparison, we’ll also look at some projections at the time for the Seahawks’ pick:

First-round picks

Mel Kiper
No. 6: Russell Okung
No. 14: Earl Thomas

Walter Football
No. 6: Russell Okung
No. 14: C.J. Spiller

Overview: These were two jackpot picks for the Seahawks. It’s also interesting to see Spiller’s name. He helped deliver Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks via trade in October of the 2010 season. Buffalo turned to Spiller and Fred Jackson to handle rushing duties and moved Lynch for a fourth-round pick in 2011 and conditional sixth-round pick in 2012. Buffalo selected Clemson offensive tackle Chris Hairston with the fourth-round pick. It took TCU linebacker Tank Carder with the conditional pick, which ended up a fifth-round pick in 2012.

Hairston started a total of 15 games from 2011-12. He spent last season on the reserved list because of foot and ankle injuries. Carder now plays for the Cleveland Browns. He never made a tackle for the Bills.

2011
No. 25: OL James Carpenter

SI
Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina

(Should be noted here that Peter King suggest they Seahawks “should” pick some guy named J.J. Watt. He, of course, was long gone by No. 25. The Texans picked him 11th.

Mel Kiper
Jake Locker, QB, Washington

Walter Football
Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

Overview: Carpenter is entering the final season of his contract. He rotated at left guard with Paul McQuistan last season. He appeared out of shape for much of the year. Carpenter said two offseason knee surgeries last year, which caused him to miss much of the offseason workouts, set him back. This will be Carpenter’s final chance.

2012
No. 15: Bruce Irvin (Seattle traded the 12th pick to Philadelphia for their first (15th), fourth (114th), and sixth round (172nd) selections. So, the projections below, were if the Seahawks had the 12th pick)

SI
Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

Mel Kiper
Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

Walter Football
Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Overview: This was one of the Seahawks’ surprise picks. Irvin and the Seahawks are still trying to figure out where he fits best. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him with his hand on the ground much more next season, rushing from the outside.

2013
Percy Harvin
The Seahawks traded the 25th overall pick, plus a 2013 seventh-round pick and a 2014 third-round pick, to the Minnesota Vikings for Harvin.

The Vikings picked cornerback Xavier Rhodes, Florida State, with the first-round selection in 2013. He was solid in 13 games for Minnesota last season.

2014
The Seahawks pick 32nd in the first round. Names they have been linked to include UCLA OL Xavier Su’a-Filo, Stanford OL David Yankey, Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin, DT Stephon Tuitt and WR Brandin Cooks.

Links:

> Our John McGrath on the never-ending NFL calendar.

> MMQB looks at the St. Louis Rams and how what they decided to do with picks No. 2 and No. 13 could change the course of the draft.

> MMQB also looks at who is the “best of the beasts,” between tackles Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson.

> Jake Locker is healing up for the Titans.

> NFL.com takes a look at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ new blueprint.

> Lastly, Russell Wilson and Malcom Smith are expected at the Mariners opener tonight.

1. jawpeace says:

A lot of focus is made on the first two rounds. But to me where you win is hitting on the later rounds. Oh wait does my Fantasy Football draft rules also apply to the NFL? YUP!

2. jawpeace says:

This years SUPER BOWL CHAMPS ( love saying that:) ) picking at 32. No clue who will be available by that pick. The only thing I am sure of is the Hawks will probably go BPA over need. Which seems to be RT and WR.

3. HawkfaninMT says:

Well hopefully BPA will just match up need… and it very well may!

4. HawkfaninMT says:

@ Todd: To add another element to this, perhaps you could include what position and player you feel the Hawks should be looking at in these rounds?

5. tchristensen says:

Joel Bitonio #32!

Kiper pegged both Okung and Thomas? Pretty good.

7. I agree, surprisingly accurate picks by Kiper.

8. I am cool with Joel Bitonio at #32.

For fun….. I can (almost) guarantee that our choice at #32 is in this list of 10 players

Joel Bitonio OT
    Morgan Moses OT
    Cyrus Kouandjio OT
    Xavier Su’a-Filo OG
    David Yankey OG
    Kelvin Benjamin WR
    Marquis Lee WR
    Allen Robinson WR
    RaShede Hageman DT
    Stephon Tuitt DT

9. HawkfaninMT says:

I don’t see Allen Robinson linked to the Hawks nearly enough… Especially if he is going to be had at 64

10. The OL guy who blew out his ACL would be a good later-round candidate for the Seahawks IR, redshirt squad, like Jesse Williams last year.

11. ChrisHolmes says:

I’d rather have an OL prospect who has a chance of actually playing this year, especially considering how horrible our OL was last year, and the fact that a couple guys got let go.

We need OL bodies that can be on the field this year, not projects (and we still have Sweezy for that).

I sure like that Harvin pick…

12. I’m hoping we draft a tackle, though I wouldn’t be broken hearted with a big WR with speed.

13. I don’t think Allen Robinson lasts to 64….. Hawks grab him at 32 or fuh-get-about-it!

14. I think best value at 32 is an OT. I know there will still be good WR available at 64, not so sure about finding a good OT at 64.

At 64 I think Donte Moncrief or Jordan Matthews would do nicely.

15. Not a good choice at #32 and maybe not there at #64…… but if he IS there at #64 a solid choice at RT.

16. I love talking draft. I spend way too much time on this stuff.

17. Annoying we have no 3rd round choice.

18. jawpeace says:

Blocis, you did not put Cook WR from OSU, are you thinking he will be long gone before 32?

19. I left Cooks off my list because I believe he will be long gone at #32 and I am guessing The Seahawks are looking for a taller receiver – the evidence for this is the signing of Chris Matthews from CFL and the reported interest in maybe resigning Sidney Rice.

20. banosser says:

“Annoying we have no 3rd round choice.”

Agrred, but…. fly sweep, fly sweep, kick return TD.. We’re pickin 32! :)

21. ChrisHolmes says:

Harvin was worth it. For The One Ring.

I love thinking about that: It’s 22-0 at halftime, and that’s certainly a good half of football, but we have ALL seen way too many comebacks in NFL history, and with Peyton Manning in particular, to know that it was a lock.

And then Percy busts the kickoff for a TD.

And it really was over.

Who doesn’t love a kick return?

Which reminds me: someone fire Goodell before he ruins the game. KTHXBYE

22. HawkFromDay1 says:

Just to back up on Kiper –

I think he’s usually pretty accurate because he does more reporting for his mocks than he does talent evaluation.

Lots of guys do this – they have sources with teams so they know where teams are leaning. They don’t just plug a guy in based on a team’s need and their evaluation of the player. They know the Redskins are leaning toward Trent Williams by the time you get to a week or so before the draft.

Rob Rang is pretty solid too – not sure how much inside track he has on these things but I think he actually called the Carpenter pick. If he didn’t know something on the inside, that’s an impressive call.

23. HawkfaninMT says:

Rang was money when predicting the Holmgren/Ruskell/Mora times… I do not know how well he is plugged in, or in tune with, PC/JS. Still love the analysis he offers, and the insight he has lent to TNT in the past. Would love to see him in here for a chat before the draft like he has before.

24. HawkFromDay1 says:

Totally agree Rang is very solid – Holmgren/Ruskell/Mora were a little more predictable and by the book then PC/JS to be sure… (who isn’t?)

The Irvin pick was wild (you knew they’d like him with that size/speed) but I didn’t think they’d have the guts to pull the trigger on him at 15… my bad – never doubt them again!

Christine Michael was a good pick, I’m convinced – and came SO far outta left field. But if you look at the guy’s workout numbers they were so far and away superior to every other back, especially at his size.

Eager to see the RB competition this year… watch out Turbo.