Tweet Link: Okung in walking boot

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 5, 2014 at 8:20 pm with 57 Comments »
April 5, 2014 8:20 pm

That’s Russell Okung in a walking boot at Oklahoma State football practice today.

There was discussion at the end of the season whether Okung would have another surgery on the injured toe that nagged him all season after keeping him out eight games.

After the season, Pete Carroll was in-between with his answer when asked about Okung.

“We’re talking about what’s necessary,” Carroll said. “So we’ll see. He’s had a sore toe this whole time and he played through and did a great job to contribute under those circumstances.”

Then, at the NFL Combine, Carroll said there had not been a surgery and it didn’t appear there would be.

“No, at this point he has not,” Carroll said. “At this point looks like they are not going to. But that’s not done yet. Still some work being done there.’’

That was about five weeks ago. Today, we see Okung, who went to Oklahoma State, in a walking boot.

1. Hopefully that fixes it. Also hopefully we can draft a stud for the right side that can be a back-up on the left.

2. I understand the need for deceit during the season about injuries and keeping information from the fans in the best interest of the team but why lie in this situation? I mean, really, if they were honest about his surgery is this going to give the 49ers more or less than a competitive balance heading into ’14? No.

In this day and age of social media, does anyone with a clue really think you can keep a guy like this off twitter or whatever (like the above photo) in terms of “hiding” the surgery?

If Okung hasn’t had surgery, I’m pretty sure it’s not a good thing he’s walking around in a boot in April and that means he SHOULD have had it. Either way, not good.

Reading between the lines, I’m glad he (probably) had the surgery and can head into ’14 in good health. It’s also a contract year for him. He’s a guy who could have a career year and still make less next year than he’s about to make this year (thanks to the stupid old rookie wage scale/situation) which will actually help the Seahawks cap situation next off-season (assuming he’s resigned).

3. tealskin says:

I’m assuming that having a boot on is not necessarily an indication of having had surgery. Could be the prescribed treatment for his condition. No need to assume the worst…..yet. Plus, Bobby, don’t understand why you jump to the conclusion that lying is happening.

4. Go ahead and live in fantasy land. I’m sure it’s a fun place. The land of common sense is pretty good, too (and like the other place, the Hawks are Super Bowl Champions, as well).

5. tealskin says:

OK if we’re talking common sense; why would any procedure be a big secret and require lying about? Obviously Russell is not treating like its a secret. Just seems like you’re making the big deal out of zilch.

6. Sorry, I don’t see the lying thing either.

All of Carrols comments are vague-ish – indicating they were still evaluating. I conpletely agree he was being vague, but just don’t see any lying.

7. Southendzone says:

Just because he’s wearing a boot doesn’t mean he “should” have had surgery.

With the entire offseason to recover from either surgery or not, is there any reason for the team doctors to recommend the wrong course of action?

I know 3 people that have been prescribed a walking boot for foot problems the didn’t have surgery. Don’t think we can read too much into it at this point.

8. I heard he’s wearing a boot because he dropped the Super Bowl trophy on his foot. C’mon BobbyK.

9. bird_spit says:

This part of the off season is a waste. Bring on the draft already…

I think calling Carroll a liar here is pretty strong. He has a policy (at least for what it appears to be) of not discussing injuries in specific terms, for good or ill. The other think to consider is that historically, players hate having their injuries aired out by others in the orginazarion. There may be some of that at play here as well.

Regardless, I too think it’s pretty obvious the walking boot is an indication of a procedure having taken place on that foot in some way.

11. tealskin says:

Does anyone remember what happened when Unger had the turf toe and missed a season? Did he have any surgery or was it a case of just healing? Toe injuries are tricky and depending on specifics are often allowed to heal on their own.

12. banosser says:

Jeez.. Okung’s in a boot to see if immobilization for an extended period of time will heal the toe.. you know, so it doesn’t flex with every step he takes… if it doesn’t look like good progress is being made then, exactly as Carroll stated, they will have to consider a surgical solution. It ain’t the grassy noll

13. SandpointHawk says:

I wear not one but two walking boots whenever I go out dancing with my wife. Gives me some nice Frankenstein moves and embarrasses my wife…We don’t dance for long…

14. Not announcing that Okung had a procedure is not the same as telling a lie. They don’t issue a press release for everything.

15. Great link.. thx for posting SandPointHawk!

16. rramstad says:

I had a walking boot.

The whole reason to have it was to AVOID surgery.

I had a choice between having plates and screws putting my foot together, with them there forever, with my foot cut open, and likely I’d be unable to walk for four to six weeks, and it could take a year plus for it to heal properly — but then it would be quite strong, if occasionally annoying i.e. when it got cold or hot, it would hurt funny, because of the titanium and the screws, and it would always be at a risk of a catastrophic second injury (think totally shattered everything).

The other option was wearing a boot for six to eight weeks, with periods of walking on it — very painful periods — to keep things aligned… and to do things to keep the ligaments and tendons from shortening during the process. I’d always have some residual pain in the foot, but I’d be at no risk of catastrophic failure.

I picked the boot, and then did physical therapy on and off for eight months, maybe ten, I forget, it sucked.

Did not have surgery — did not want surgery — did the boot precisely to not have surgery.

My injury if curious was four foot fractures, all on the small toe side of my foot. I don’t think Okung has foot fractures, but he might, he could have stress fractures and a boot is a VERY common non surgical way to clear those up. Stress fractures happen a lot in big people in feet. Most healthy men will heal up minor fractures in four to six weeks in a walking boot. Biggest advantage is you don’t lose muscle mass in your leg the way you would if you had surgery… it can take years to get your legs back the way they were if you spend two months on the couch or in bed unable to walk.

17. I’m with Bobbk–probably much to his chagrin, since I’m not exactly popular….

Carrol is almost as full of shit as The Emperor–Bellicheat. Why lie about Surgery etc?! This is a pattern with PC, but one that makes no sense; Bellicheat hides stuff, but it seems Seattles comes out; so why obfuscate?!

Tell the truth PC–or shut up. Either you lie like a Bastard all the time—like The Pats and Bellicheat–or tell the truth. Don’t be the margarine of Evil…

18. Could be Okung decided to do it against the teams suggestions . . . . . . .

19. surelyyoujest says:

Good grief. What lie ? His answer above was about as non-committal as it could be. Some of you will find crap to gripe about even when none exists. We just won the SB, gripe about that.

20. Southendzone says:

Hey Todd, last week Doug Baldwin tweeted a couple times about being found not-guilty in a battery case, stemming from an argument during a pickup B-Ball game.

Any info on this? Where, when, what type of stuff?

21. TallyHawk says:

Wow you really can tell how little actual news there has been that some of you are so worked up on this. Not that big of a deal IMO. Definitely not enough to get that bent out of shape about.

22. Southendzone says:

Ok I found the case in the Santa Clara Superior court search. You have to send in a request to the court for actual documents if you want to know the particulars, you can’t look it up online. This seems like something one of the Seahawk reporters should have done by now.

Last Name: Baldwin
    First name : Douglas
    Middle Name: D
    GEN: JR
    Case Number: B1366293
    FILE DATE: 5/10/2013
    PARTY ID: 1138218809

Here’s how you request info:

What do I do once I have the case number?

Write a letter saying what documents you want. Be specific. Give the case number, the full name of the defendant and his/her date of birth and the name of the documents you want.

For example:

minute order from [you must list a specific court date]

Come on TNT investigative team, go get us some info.

23. SandpointHawk says:

Read the link I posted, it was nothing…

“I heard the story on 710AM today, this whole thing happened over a year ago at Stanford. Doug was playing a pickup game at Stanford with some people he didn’t know, and one guy ended up getting angry at Doug for whatever reason, got all up in his face, and Doug had to push him back a little bit. The guy went on to file a civil suit for battery charges by saying Doug punched him multiple times in the face. Problem is he had zero witnesses to defend his story, and Doug had multiple witnesses on his side. Took the jury less than 20 minutes to side with Doug.

Not sure why this is all coming out now though.”

24. montanamike2 says:

Is Davis going to the Giants going to fetch us another comp pick or does the fact he was an UFA mitigate that? Have we reached our limit of comp picks?

25. thursday says:

I tend to side with the folks who have actual walking boot situations to offer as examples. The rest is conjecture. But it makes sense he’d be trying to avoid surgery.

26. chuck_easton says:

A walking boot, or air-cast as our doctors here refer to them, allows the injury to heal naturally without the stress or pressure of putting weight on the foot.

My son fractured his foot this winter at Luge practice. He continued to try and compete, but the pain would be unbearable. He could walk just fine with no pain. It was only when he pushed during workouts that the pain would come back.

Six weeks in an air-cast and he has no lingering problems.

The air-cast is a nice mid-point between nothing and complete immobilization as it doesn’t have the side effect of muscle/tendon atrophy in the foot/lower leg.

And as my sixteen year old enjoyed, he still got to take it off to shower so he didn’t have to face the girls all stinky.

Okung in a boot is just that, he’s taken the stress and pressure of the big toe while still being mobile.

The team has barely been off the field for six weeks. The doctors may have said 8 to twelve weeks in the boot and everything will be fine without the need for cutting.

27. wazzulander says:

5 weeks ago Carroll was unsure about Okungs need for surgery, now Okung’s being seen in a walking boot. Where is the lie, and why the eagerness to call Carroll a liar?

28. Interesting PFF article on pass rushing and blitzing. Seattle is ranked very high.

29. MoSeahawk12 says:

Calling Carroll a liar and comparing him to Belichick…really? That’s about as far a reach as you can have. The photo was out there and it doesn’t seem anyone was trying to bury or hide it. As many have mentioned, walking boots are used for many types of foot and toe injuries. I have one for Plantar fasciitis as it helps. Let’s not jump to Carroll is video taping the 49ers practices when we see our left tackle wearing a boot in April. Seriously.

30. HawkfaninMT says:

Draft is one month from Thursday!

Who are you guys hoping for at this point, now that Pro Days are about over?

31. WiscCory says:

MM2 – Regarding Kellen Davis signing with the Giants, Seattle may lose a pick because they’re actually better without him.

32. Screensmoke says:

Really?????- the school girls are out to recess again- Bring on the draft-

33. montanamike2 says:

Thanks WiscCory that’s funny and true. Harbaugh had more on his mind than a trophy when he laid in bed and wondered. Poor John, poor poor John.

34. montanamike2 says:

Sherman had his revenge against Harbaugh by killing him with the play of his life!

35. Southendzone says:

MM2: I still think we are net loss of more than 4 UFAs so I don’t think Kellen Davis helps us out.

Lost: Tate, Breno, McQ, McDonald, Browner, Thurmond, Maragos

Picked up: Taylor Price, that CB from Oakland, and maybe 1 more I am forgetting.

So we are still over 4 net lost prior to Davis, so I don’t think he would have an impact.

36. montanamike2 says:
  37. trout_hound says:

Peter Carroll to Jim Harbaugh: ‘What’s your deal?’

38. montanamike2 says:

Bring on the draft already! Since we won the SB the off season fighting is a lot shorter and more minimal than usual.

Southendzone – If there were a Tweet available regarding that case rest assured it would have been posted here by now…

40. rramstad says:

The comments at the bottom of the article about extending Harbaugh are pretty hysterical. I do agree overall with most of them however. It would be very amusing if the 49ers extended Kap with a deal similar to Cutler — and those are all salary cap dollars — and refused to pay an extra $2 million a year to Harbaugh to make him happy — when those are not salary cap dollars.

It makes me very happy to have an owner in Paul Allen that obviously understands that spending (plenty of) non cap dollars to have a great building, great workout facility, great coaching staff, great trainers… well, it all pays off. An extra $2 million or $10 million a year spent on those things has a huge palpable effect, it takes you from being average to being the best in terms of non-contract spending.

41. Amid all the hand-wringing here, I just thought I’d mention that I re-watched the Superbowl this weekend for the first time.

Why can’t I get rid of this silly grin on my face?

42. SandpointHawk says:

Harbaugh is working for the wrong owner to be the highest paid coach in the NFL. The York’s are worth 1.3 Billion (23rd richest owner in the NFL). Carroll is working for the richest owner in the NFL (15.9 Billion). Pete has more responsibility (final say over personnel) and has won the Super Bowl. Harbaugh is feuding with his GM and owner. Harbaugh would need to get a 4 million a year bump to be the #1 paid coach and that ain’t going to happen…

BTW the math I’m using is from the still unconfirmed 9 million a year Carroll is now getting.

43. chuck_easton says:

Ok, here’s what I can tell you regarding the Baldwin matter.

The trial, by Jury, was in Criminal Court and not Civil. This means that the other party didn’t ‘sue’ Baldwin for money (yet).

The alleged victim filed a complaint with the local police department claiming he was the victim of battery. Keep in mind that battery is not assault under the California Penal Code.

Assault is defined as:
    “An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present
    ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.”

Whereas Battery is defined as:
    “A battery is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence
    upon the person of another.”

So, Baldwin was arrested and charged with the greater crime of Battery. Assault can be swinging at a person and missing. Battery requires actual physical contact.

Assault has a punishment of a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 and/or no more than 6 months in county jail. A Battery has a punishment of a fine not to exceed $2,000.00 and/or up to but not more than 6 months in County Jail.

For the matter to get all the way to trial, there has to be an incident where there is a ‘suspect’ and a ‘victim’. The ‘victim’ has to file a sworn complaint with the police outlining the ‘crime’.

The police have to determine that the elements of the ‘crime’ have been satisfied such that there can be an arrest.

After the arrest and processing the police report and arrest report are forwarded to the local District Attorneys office where it will be determined if there is sufficient evidence to lay criminal charges.

Once the ‘defendant’ is formally charged he and his counsel have the right to choose the means of trial. I.e. trial by judge alone or trial by judge and jury.

So in this case. We had an allegation of the criminal act of battery. ‘Victim’ claimed Baldwin had punched him several times. We had an arrest of Baldwin by the local police. We had a District Attorney in Santa Clara County determine there was enough evidence to press formal charges, Baldwin and his attorney chose trial by Jury. After hearing all the evidence the Jury found that Baldwin was not-guilty of Battery.

Keep in mind this whole incident happened in Santa Clara County where there is this brand new Levi’s Stadium set to open this fall and where the SF 49rs have their team headquarters. I throw that out there for those conspiracy theory guys.

So, this was a criminal matter, not civil. I’m sure the inevitable civil trial will commence shorty so this ‘victim’ can try to get money where he was unable to prove an actual crime.

But, non-the-less, this was a full blown criminal trial and Baldwin was risking a criminal record.

Thanks as always to Chuck for the straightforward analysis and clarification. Appreciated.

45. Southendzone says:

INteresting stuff Chuck. I had suspected a lot of that but not all the details. I was pretty sure it was criminal, not civil, and that just like OJ, the victim can still go for some cash in Civil court.

Are you at all surprised that the DA brought charges and the jury found him not-guilty in only 20 minutes? Is it common for the prosecution to lose a case (seemingly) so convincingly?

Last question, where do you get the information that “Victim claimed Baldwin punched him several times”?

46. chuck_easton says:

It is rare for charges of this nature to get this far unless there is some physical evidence of injury (bruising, cuts, something broken), or witnesses that can confirm the allegation and can positively identify the suspect.

This is a situation where a DA pushed, likely to get some sort of a ‘plea bargain’ and Baldwin’s defense lawyer pushed back. I can only guess the mindset of the prosecutor in this case, but even with the competing versions provided by the ‘victim’ and Baldwin I would not have taken this to trial unless I had some iron-clad witnesses that could support the claim.

I get the details of the alleged incident from the link provided by SandPointHawk.

Baldwin admitted to being in the pickup basketball game at Stanford. He admitted the ‘victim’ got angry and got in his face. He admitted to pushing the ‘victim’ away. The victim claimed it was more than a push but several blows to his head. Apparently the only witnesses that came forward backed Baldwin’s version.

47. Southendzone says:

I just watched Wolf of Wall Street last night. This conversation reminds me of the part when the FBI/prosecutors are talking to Leo DeCaprio and his lawyer.

They tell him this case is like “Grenada” because it is such a guaranteed win for the prosecution, they could come into court with their d’s hanging out and they would still convict him!

funny scene.

48. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks Chuck_E…

49. Good Grief. The ones complaining about complaining are the ones complaining…

Carrol has a history of obfuscating and talking in circles regarding surgeries on players, and I think it stinks. My point is–either answer the question honestly, or just refuse to answer the question. The non-answer BS is simply annoying, and puts him on a trajectory to end up in Patriot-ville with Bellicheat.

But its really not that big of a deal at the moment. Perhaps Okung is simply resting his toe, as Chuck pointed out. I surely hope it works, and surgery doesnt become necessary and he actually plays a whole season for only the second time in his overpaid career…

Now the specter of having Okung miss time next year is a MUCH bigger concern than Carrol’s annoying obfuscating over injuries.

and MO, DUDE! I never said anything about Carrol video taping practice–I only referenced Bellicheats habit of obfuscating regarding injuries. Carrol is a lesser artist in that field, but he still paints….

50. jawpeace says:

One thing that I found interesting in this article not mentioned was the number of drop backs against us. Only San Fran had a higher number. Which means that the Hawks were in the lead most of the time and other teams were passing to catch up. When you know the other team must pass- the pass rush is easier to execute.

51. jawpeace says:

Chuck E. I saw on Judge Judy a guy suing for assault (getting violently shoved) and he won over $3,000. Is that the Canadian max you referred to?

52. chuck_easton says:

Those amounts I mentioned are out of the California Penal Code. Those are the fines Baldwin would have had to pay into Court if he were convicted.

We still don’t know what the outcome of the upcoming Civil trial might be.