More on the Carroll extension

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 3, 2014 at 9:30 pm with 32 Comments »
April 3, 2014 9:51 pm

The Seattle Seahawks will announce an extension for head coach Pete Carroll on Friday morning.

The Seahawks sent out a press release Thursday night announcing a 10:30 a.m. press conference Friday at their headquarters in Renton. They did not say why.

A source told the News Tribune the press conference is to announce a new deal with Carroll. The NFL Network first reported that the announcement would be an extension for Carroll, who was going into the final year of a five-year, $35 million contract he signed in 2010.

During last season, Carroll was asked three times if his contract had been extended. He chose to simply say, “I’m in great shape,” each time. At the NFL Combine in late February, general manager John Schneider was also asked about Carroll’s contract and chose not to address it.

Carroll, a spry 62, led the Seahawks to their first Super Bowl victory in franchise history this past season.

Carroll is 71-57 in eight seasons in the NFL with three different teams — the New York Jets, New England Patriots and Seattle. He is 38-26 in Seattle.

Carroll left USC to join the Seahawks in 2010.

Since arriving in Seattle, Carroll has won the NFC West Division title twice. His first season, the Seahawks were 7-9, which was good enough to take the division. Last season, the Seahawks were a league-best 13-3 before going onto to a 43-8 blowout of the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.

1. seahawksteven777 says:

Best coach in Seahawks history.

2. surelyyoujest says:

Never doubted this would get done. Congrats Coach! Highest paid Coach in the NFL I bet, or should be.

3. Macabrevity says:

Easily our best coach ever, although what Chuck Knox did can’t be minimized, especially in that era where teams kept their talent bases and the strong tended to stay strong longer. Quick turnarounds were the exception more than the rule, as opposed to today where the turnover among playoff teams is significant.

For some reason I was never a huge Holmgren fan, but I softened on him as I saw what he was doing… with Pete though, I instantly began to like the roster and philosophy he installed. Despite last year’s ignominious end to our playoff run I still felt this was my favorite all-time Hawk’s lineup (at the time).

All three are great coaches in their own right, but Chuck and Pete remain my favorites, with Erickson being up there rather than Holmgren as a coach I liked despite not having the results to go along with it.

4. montanamike2 says:

One of the best off season moves this year. Pete and John, (yes we’re on a first name basis) are the best tandem in the NFL.

5. HawkFromDay1 says:

Holmgren’s on the fringes of HOF discussion. Oddly I think Tom Flores is too (think Raiders, not Hawks).

Pete’s got a long way to go to get into that discussion.

Just such different guys – Holmgren’s teams were meticulously prepared and relied on flawless execution. Pete’s teams embrace (and create) chaos.

6. Congrats Pete!

I have to agree – best Seahawk coach ever.

Chuck Knox would be second and Holmgren third IMO.

And how about Paul Allen? Gotta be the best Seahawk owner ever.

7. Carroll extension = big old rusty knife in Harbaugh’s side. I wonder how much longer Harbaugh will last. As I understand it, he has alienated everyone in about roughly 3 years everywhere he’s been, all the way back to early childhood.

8. Continuity is key. We have the best owner, GM, coach and QB combination in the NFL, IMO. I wouldn’t trade that combo for any other set in the league.

9. +1 BobbyK. Ability to put ego in it’s proper place (i.e the relationship is more important than ego) is the key that makes it work IMO. It really is Napolean Hill’s “mastemind” concept at work (2 or more poeple working together in harmony toward a goal can achieve and create things that never would be possible if one mind(ego) dominates and the others “serve” that ego.

If you look at Holmgren, this was his great mistake IMO. All the people in Cleveland were his Chronies. I’m not saying those were bad people at all and I’m not saying Holmgren is anything less than great. I’m just saying that the way Pete and John are doing it is a much better way IMO. Plus Pete brings a unique philosophy that no one else uses, yet.

10. HawkfaninMT says:

Guesses?

I am going with 5 yr/$45m

11. grizindabox24 says:

Bucs trade Mike Williams to Bills for 6th round selection

12. doubledink says:

Macabrevity,
    Knox did it first in LA, then Buffalo and then here. He took overall average talent in losing organizations and made them instant contenders. He was known for not only changing the way OLinemen played the game, but how the league officiated the line play. His ability to resurrect 3 floundering franchises is unmatched in NFL history.

MikePDX,
    Stephen Covey coined the term “Synergy” to describe that.

13. FleaFlicker says:

Glad to see PC and JS will be together for a good while. They both deserve every last penny of their contracts.

I think Holmgren needed a second Super Bowl ring to ensure HOF status. His valiant effort to combine the GM/HC roles ended up tarnishing some of his accomplishments because it ultimately didn’t work out very well.

But it’s funny how a legacy can turn on a few moments in time. Super Bowl XL: the phantom holding call and maybe Holmgren has that second ring. 2012: Robert Turbin doesn’t drop that wheel route all alone in the corner at SF in week 6 and we go on to clinch the division and Clemons doesn’t blow out his knee on the road at FedEx Field and that first Lombardi might have come last year with a rookie QB.

But also interesting to step back and look at the evolution of PC as a coach. The first two NFL gigs, he really didn’t have time to shape the organization. And he probably learned some hard lessons in the terms of the deal (i.e. having veto power over personnel decisions). And I’d have to say that the first couple trips into the playoffs, the team seemed a bit overwhelmed by the moment (dropping balls at Chicago, unable to score points in the first half at Atlanta). This year, they were fast, fluid, and confident. Four decades of successes and failures have combined to make PC the best coach in the league. Amazing how long the learning curve can be in this game.

14. doubledink says:

The difference between winning and losing at this level can be razor thin.

15. HawkfaninMT says:

Bummer, I’ve been quietly hoping we could send a 7th to TB for him. Same size as a lot of the WR being mocked to the Hawks but with Pro experience already.

Of course it would all depend on how he recta to the locker room. In any case… The band plays on

16. The day we signed Pete to a deal was the day I look at as the moment it all turned around. I think he’ll keep us competitive for as long as he’s coach. These are good days for us Hawks fans.

17. Macabrevity says:

Hawkfromday1 – Not looking at stats at the moment, so I could be way off, but in my mind I seem to remember countless games under Holmie where we came out flat, starting the game off by spotting the other team points off a turnover, etc. I also recall us looking a bit rusty in season openers under Holmie, but again, might just be the bias of a game or two that stood out in my memory and not the big picture.

One game Holmes definitely didn’t do a great job of getting us mentally ready for was the SB. We squandered opportunities, then at halftime decided we were destined to lose, and went out and did just that. Penalties aside, we quit before the game was over.

18. jawpeace says:

This signing/extension is the biggest of this off season. Sweet time to be a Hawk fan!

19. Assuming he won’t get himself stabbed again, Mike Williams for a 6th round pick maybe a bargain. His 2014 cap hit is $1.8m

20. Love the news. My only worry is that some team may come in and offer John Schneider a position in an organization where he was President and grand poobah and could hire the coach, and be in charge of an entire organization. Would he take something like that? Or would hestay here, where Pete always has the final word?

21. jawpeace says:

Just saw a Yahoo article grading all teams on Free agency for the year. LOL this is not the first time I have seen a failing grade for the Hawks from the media. They got a D minus…. As it has always been the Hawks know what they are doing the media does not. The article is flawed as spending a bunch of money in FA does not mean you did a good job. Instant gratification compared to long term success and the ability to resign your future stars. Hmm I take long term. Go Hawks!

22. MoSeahawk12 says:

Three year deal for Carroll.

23. sherminator says:

Well earned. I am one of the many who was initially disappointed when I heard Pete Carroll was hired as the Seahawks coach. I was so wrong about that and now am “All In” on Pete. May he coach here a long time.

24. DreadHawks says:

Ah remember when the rumors of in fighting between Pete and John surfaced during that second year? We’ve come along way in a short time. Love how Pete says we don’t want just a ring. Team of the decade would be nice 3-4 Lombardis.

25. Beyond building a SB team, two things that make PC the best coach in Seahawk history.

One, the guy brings such a contagious positive attitude that people WANT to be here.

Two, he’s upfront and honest about his players being the best they can be personally.

Everyone knows it’s a business but they also know that within the framework of business PC and JS care about them as people.

It’s interesting to me that wines have changed people’s perception of Carroll for rah rah to “positive”.

“Ah remember when the rumors of in fighting between Pete and John surfaced during that second year?”

No, I don’t, actually. Where were these rumors stemming from?

wins… (wines?) And nor for, from… (ugh…)

28. HawkfaninMT says:

I also remember the rumors about in fighting between PC/JS… they never gained traction and were squashed by PC. But I do remember that.

29. DreadHawks says:

@Duke, the 2nd 7-9 season some pundit put forth a “rumor” by an unnamed source…..of course. That there were disagreements and bickering between the JS/PC.

30. sherminator says:

Wins certainly are the main reason the perceptions of Pete Carroll have changed, but also the fact that we have come to know him.

Before the Seahawks, I knew that he was a good NFL defensive coach who got fired, but I didn’t really know why. He went to USC and won, but I didn’t really know why. The 60 Minutes story on him and his work with at-risk youth caused me to see him in a better light, but he was still USC’s coach and not much else.

When he became Seattle’s coach and I started really listening to his philosophy, I started to really know him. That is a big part of the turnaround – we simply know him better than we did before.

31. Ditto what jawpeace said – this extension makes SEA’s offseason a solid A. Sure glad SEA’s coaches weren’t poached this offseason. Wish PC’s extension was for more than 3 years, but that 3 yr term goes along with PC’s “Always Compete” mantra. Maybe a SB win every 3 yrs? Hindsight tells me for SEA to make this offseason an A+, PA should give JS at least an equal extension.

Following are the total regular season records and win percentage (W%,) for SEA coaches:
    PC’s W-L @ SEA: 38-26 = .594
    JM’s W-L @ SEA: 05-11 = .313
    MH’s W-L @ SEA: 86-74 = .538 (@ GB 75-37 = .670)
    DE’s W-L @ SEA: 31-33 = .484
    TF’s W-L @ SEA: 14-34 = .292
    CK’s W-L @ SEA: 80-63 = .559
    MM’s W-L @ SEA: 07-04 = .571
    JP’s W-L @ SEA: 35-59 = .372

Pete Carroll has the best W%, and Mike McCormack, who finished off Jack Patera’s final season, had the next best W%. Then came Chuck Knox, then Holmgren. Note that MH had a much better W% at GB (’92-’98) than he ended up with at SEA.

Ron Wolf became GB’s GM in ’91, the year before he hired MH as HC there. Wolf retired in ’01, two years after MH left for SEA. Ted Thompson was Wolf’s Dir Pro Personnel but Holmgren brought TT to SEA to be his VP of Football Ops. Holmgren also tried to bring Mike Sherman with him to SEA but GB took him back to be their HC, until Wolf retired as GM in ’01, then M.Sherman became GB’s GM. When SEA hired Tim Ruskell (TR) as GM in ’05, TT went back to GB and become their GM, which is what he is now.

Maybe Holmgren was thinking about trying to be like GB’s Vince Lombardi (96-34-6 = .754 W%) being both HC & GM when he came to SEA, but SEA’s FO under MH did not have the kind of “luck” with their pro personnel that GB’s FO had with Ron Wolf as GM. Holmgren would chew out his players as HC on the field, but would make up for it as GM by having his players backs. MH kept players who had character flaws that eventually effected their on-field performance.

In ’05, his first year as GM with SEA, TRs pro personnel staff seemed to make the kind of moves that would put SEA on track to duplicating GBs success under MH as HC-only. Many a SEA-blogger “TRusted” in TR. Sadly, injuries to key pro personnel masked SEA’s fatal FO-coaching mismatch for a few years before the franchise began to show the then-obvious signs of it’s fundamental flaws at the top. By that time SEA had become uncompetitive, and under TR & Jim Mora it would have taken a long time for SEA to become competitive again, (if ever.)

One of those flaws was the difference between how MH & TR viewed the importance of position players (eg OG.) TR wanted to make SEA’s D a T2 and pay the offense’s skill players rather than the OL, making up for the drop in OL performance by changing it to a ZBS. SEA’s offensive skill players did not match well with an OL struggling to learn a new scheme, so SEA’s traditional WCO timing disappeared along with their run game. Without an effective offense SEA’s defense could not play with a lead and their DBs were no-where near capable of stopping a good balanced offense.

Rather than having a gruff yell-at-you HC with a soft-heart “got-yer-back” approach as GM (which may have worked well for Lombardi before capped teams,) SEA has a player-goal affirming HC who helps the players see exactly what he expects from their position-play and how he expects them to get there, and a GM who’s job is to maximize the competitiveness of the team under the cap, in the present and into the future.