Tweet Link: Sherman rips Eagles, defends Jackson

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 2, 2014 at 2:50 pm with 23 Comments »
April 2, 2014 2:50 pm

I see some of you already discussing this story, so we’ll get it up here.

A quick aside: As expected, Pete Carroll and John Schneider were at Washington’s Pro Day today to watch quarterback Keith Price, running back Bishop Sankey, safety Sean Parker and wide receiver James Johnson. Tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins did not participate since he is still healing from foot surgery. Here are some notes from Washington’s Pro Day over on our Huskies blog.

1. thursday says:

I think he’s right that a lot of this definitely stems from a lack of understanding of inner city life. Also, obvious double standard.

2. jcollyer53 says:

Completely agree Thursday! I love his analogy with Jim Irsay, perfect example of hypocrisy.

3. @Chuck

From the last post, I was just saying that everything Sherman said was true and that he was just pointing it out. How is that playing the race card, was there no validity to what he was saying. Throwing in the NAACP I believe was just an unnessassary remark. Just because a black dude is pointing out the obvious with regards to race, doesn’t mean they’re always “starting down the NAACP path”.

4. Southendzone says:

If i were a billionaire, I’d carry around 29k on me all the time. Only difference is if I was a druggie, I’d have a little sidekick fall guy who walked around with me and carried all the illegal drugs. He could dole them out to me like a pez-dispenser. Or for that matter, just ask Michael Jackson’s doctor to prescribe them.

These tips and more will be revealed in my new book “Billionaires for Dummies” hitting Amazon next month.

5. If anyone follows the NFL besides the Seahawks they will clearly know that Jackson has been a selfish and malcontent player for pretty much his entire career after his initial season in the league. From his whining about a new contract, to alligator arms, to his me-first approach that has been on display for years, such as a few post-game interviews that displayed his selfishness… I’m glad he’s not a Hawk. The reason he’s been tolerated is because of what a freak player and deep threat he is and that’s the biggest reason I’m glad he didn’t go to SF. He’s a great talent, there’s no denying that. And if he was a white kid who lived on a farm in Iowa, I would care less about him all the same if he acted the same way. If you’re a moron, you’re a moron and he’s a moron regardless if he were white, or pink, or brown, or yellow, or whatever. Anyone else remember one of those times when he has alligator arms and it was reported his teammates were ready to do something about/to him because that case happened the same time he was in the midst of a public fued about wanting a new contract and he was looking out for himself (as is his history).

6. montanamike2 says:

Southendzone that’s fng hilarious. If i were a billionaire , i’d have a hell of a lot more on me than 29k. I like the sidekick fall guy idea, It makes perfect sense. I’m not even gonna participate in the race discussion because why bother?

7. I have much less of a problem with him protecting himself before he got his FIRST big payday in the NFL and was severely underpaid than his apparent whining about being underpaid at 10 mil a year. I haven’t seen quotes of him whining about the 10 mil, but some here talk about it as if it’s a fact.

Teams put themselves first, so I have no problem with a player doing the same. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Ask Jevon Walker if your team still compensates you when you come in and take a chance and blow out your knee. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I understand that we as fans look out for the team number one, but that shouldn’t blind you to fairness.

8. LouieLouie says:

I applaud Sherm for speaking (writing) out. Maybe Jackson is a prima-donna. Maybe he did grow up in a not-so-good part of town. There are lots of guys who don’t make 10-Million per year guilty of the same. I say don’t criticize the speck in your neighbor’s eye while ignoring the plank in your own.

I suspect that Philly’s loss will be Washington’s gain.

9. freedom_X says:

Sherman’s piece was well written as usual, but I think he should have just left the Irsay and Cooper comparisons out.

Until Sherman knows exactly why the Eagles dumped Jackson, he can’t draw any comparisons with other cases. If Sherman knows the Eagles did it because of “gang ties”, then he’s got a point.

But would Sherman complain if Pete Carroll dumped a player who was habitually late to meetings, complained about his contract and carried his complaints into games, and made numerous mental mistakes?

(BTW I have nothing but scorn for Irsay and Cooper. I don’t think for a moment that Cooper is reformed or was out of character in his “incident.” But Cooper was smart enough to get a wake-up call and change his public behavior and humble himself. If Jackson would have done the same, he’d still be in Philadelphia.)

10. Sounds alot like DJ is like PH except DJ can run a more complete route tree. PH was a problem for the Vikings since day 1, and has established gang ties along with 90% of the Florida players under Urban Meyers watch. Have yet to hear a story similar to PH throwing weights at training staff, or throwing his QB under the bus like PH did while in Minnesota.

11. MoSeahawk12 says:
  12. SaigonSun says:

MoSeahawk12, that is hilarious

Washington’s pro day is the aside to a tweet?! I’m stunned. Once again, actual football takes a backseat. (And no, that’s not a shot at Sherman, who once again raises a great point and makes thoughtful points.)

14. bsinnitt says:

I was impressed with Sean Parker the last 2 seasons for UW. Solid in coverage and loves to hit people. If he goes undrafted he might be a nice free agent to compete for a back up safety spot.

15. SaigonSun says:

The Mariners have the best record in the MLB…. ! Darn it, my printer doesn’t work. How can I save that page? I think it will hail in hell tomorrow.

16. freedom_X says:

Sean Parker ran a 4.79 40 yd. dash and is 5-9 3/4, 190 lbs. He’ll have to be a knockout special teams player to make the Seattle roster if he joined them, I think.

17. Todd Dybas says:

Dukeshire,

It was Washington’s Pro Day. We have a Washington writer. He went to the Pro Day, as did Dave Boling. They wrote stories about it.

Thanks.

Todd

18. “Sounds alot like DJ is like PH except DJ can run a more complete route tree. PH was a problem for the Vikings since day 1, and has established gang ties along with 90% of the Florida players under Urban Meyers watch. Have yet to hear a story similar to PH throwing weights at training staff, or throwing his QB under the bus like PH did while in Minnesota.

Long story short only freaks deserve to be paid like PH, and DJ are being paid. Neither are truly elite WR.”

WTF are you babbling about? Harvin will run routes in the middle of the field all day long. Good luck getting Jackson to do that. People in glass houses. I thought we were done with the stupid Harvin bashing after winning a SB. Guess not.

19. chuck_easton says:

Hey, I agree with bbmate! SaigonSun is on to something. Somebody check the weather report for Hell today. I think it’s going to be rather chilly down there.

PH has earned a reprieve from the bashing. Until he goes on another extended owie spree. If that never happens then there will be no further bashing of Harvin. This edict comes directly from the president of the BashHarvin club!

And by extended I mean something that causes him to miss more than two consecutive games. Dude is tiny and plays like he isn’t there is going to be the occasional game that he isn’t right. Just no streak that lasts three or more games and I’m good.

20. Interesting stats from PFF on DJ’s route-trees in PHI. DC has gotten themselves a potent weapon, however iffy DJs offfield stuff is: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/02/the-routes-of-desean-jackson/

21. WiscCory says:

C’mon Todd, I think you should let Duke continue to build the blog mutiny…

22. Nobody is buying a mutiny. . . .

also – why did Philly teammates speak out in support of Cooper but not for Jackson?

23. xcman,

Cooper was still on the team and they were asked about him constantly. They had pressure to either support him to some extent or give no comment at least. And they were in camp.

Jackson is not on the team and it is the off-season. No reporters hounding the players.

I’m not saying that Jackson was a good teammate, I don’t know, but his teammates not speaking out doesn’t mean anything IMO. And you don’t look great if you insinuate in any way that they shouldn’t have released him if you are a current Eagles player.