Tweet link: Seahawks interested in Jackson?

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 28, 2014 at 11:34 am with 101 Comments »
March 28, 2014 11:34 am

The Philadelphia Eagles released wide receiver DeSean Jackson today.

A story out of New Jersey says the Eagles were worried about Jackson’s alleged gang ties, among other things.

Jackson’s release has prompted speculation of his next landing spot, none greater than this from Jason La Canfora:

Considering the money the Seahawks have dedicated to Percy Harvin, the style of offense they play, their focus on extending Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas, plus their defense-first approach, it would seem highly unlikely the Seahawks have strong interest in Jackson unless he wants to play for around $3-4 million a year. That also seems highly unlikely for a player who signed a five-year, $47,000,000 contract in the 2012 offseason.

Jackson released a statement to counter the story that alleged his gang ties.

“I would like to address the misleading and unfounded reports that my release has anything to do with any affiliation that has been speculated surrounding the company I keep off of the field. I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang. I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible.

“I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. I am proud of the accomplishments that I have made both on and off the field. I have worked tirelessly to give back to my community and have a positive impact on those in need. It is unfortunate that I now have to defend myself and my intentions.

“These reports are irresponsible and just not true . I look forward to working hard for my new team. God Bless.”

It’s hard to imagine Jackson ending up in a Seahawks uniform.

1. ChrisHolmes says:

Well, I know a few folks on this blog who love to talk about Deep Threats, and Jackson would certainly fit the bill. He would certainly be a very serious passing weapon for Seattle out of their numerous play-action looks.

Agreed, the money is likely not going to work.

But here’s the thing (and Peter King wrote about this exact issue the past week at the owners’ meetings): the $64,000 question is WHY is Philly letting Jackson go?

There has to be way more to this story.

I am thinking that $3M or $4M might actually be all Jackson can wrangle up if the teams courting him are doing due diligence and figuring out what is really wrong with this picture. Jackson did *something* to cause Philly to let him go like that.

Seattle might be the perfect landing spot. It was for Marshawn Lynch…

More off-season intrigue! Yay!

2. freedom_X says:

Jackson might end up in Seattle if no one else makes him a big money offer. And if no one else makes him a big money offer, it means teams think there’s some fire behind the smoke regarding his off-season ties.

If Carroll and Schneider have the real inside scoop on Jackson (they know there’s no problem with Jackson’s crowd) , then they can pull off a coup of major proportions. Perfect replacement for Tate (an even better punt returner as well as a more accomplished receiver.)

But if they don’t know that for sure – the Seattle train can be derailed big-time with an offseason scandal. It could tear down everything Seattle has built. So Carroll and co. better be sure, not just rolling the dice.

3. PugetHawk says:

Well said Chris…until we know why Jackson was released, its impossible to determine what his market value will be.
    That said, it seems Jackson will want to come back out West to play for a winner, which means Seattle or the Whiners.

4. HawkFanInAz says:

the Eagles were worried about Jackson’s alleged gang ties, among other things.

5. SaigonSun says:

I doubt if anyone has more ties to the L.A. area gangs than PC (from his USC recruiting days). It would be easy for him to get the scoop on D.J.’s gang activities. Maybe, he could even “win/wrestle” a freedom for the kid…. I understand it is not easy to get out once you “sign up”.
    Anyway, I’d like him for the Seahawks if he can stay clean and for the right price. We won the SB without D. Jackson , and we will do it again with him ,or without. Our own players should come first !

6. ChrisHolmes says:

“the Eagles were worried about Jackson’s alleged gang ties, among other things.

Tells you right there why they were concerned and let him go, didn’t even need to read the article.”

And Jackson is vehemently denying his release has anything to do with the people he hangs out with, and he specifically said he is not in a gang, nor has he been.

I’m inclined to think it’s something else, and we’re not hearing about. This is a story that needs further investigation.

7. I read that article about his gang ties and chose to not link it earlier because their “evidence” was pretty damn weak. I’d at least read the article before you assume something.

Like ChrisHolmes, I’m inclined to believe it was something else.

8. HawkFanInAz says:

Yeah, I just seen his statement about not ever being in a gang, so it must be the “among other things”.

9. It’s a little funny that Pete’s eternal quest for his “big” receiver continues to turn up 5’10” guys.

10. TallyHawk says:

It seems a little too convenient that this is coming out the day he’s released. I think the eagles are trying cover their ass a little. My guess is that they didn’t want to pay him 10 mil. I’m not saying there aren’t character issues. There definitely are and have been going back to college. I can still picture him sulking on the sidelines when the Hawks beat them down a couple seasons ago on national tv.

11. grizindabox24 says:

IMO, DeSean is in a gang just like Marshawn is in a gang….

12. grizindabox24 says:

Galena, nothing wrong with finding a “big” receiver and signing a legit deep threat

13. 1-yr prove it deal? a guy can hope . . .

14. Carlsonkid says:

Yes , you are absolutely interested in DeSean Jackson if you’re the Seahawks . This team is strong enough in the locker room and at the top to deal with any issues that may come up . BUT …

The price has to be right . We’re airways going to be a run-first team , but adding Jackson is the perfect antidote to losing Tate and Rice .

15. bigmike04 says:

Brock & Danny talking about him this morning on 710 ESPN & they made comment out how DeShawn Jackson was at Super bowl & getting photos with some of seahawks players as he has friends on the team..

I would take the risk on him because everyone knows that Percy Harvin cannot stay healthy his whole career as he injured prone & will most likely miss 3-4 game each season.. To pick up Jackson for say 2-3yr deal at good price is worth the risk.. Do need someone for Punt Returns & Kick off Return..

16. grizindabox24 says:

still laugh when people knock PH’s health

17. “It seems a little too convenient that this is coming out the day he’s released. I think the eagles are trying cover their ass a little”

agree w/that . .

18. Can’t imagine the Seahawks picking up DeSean Jackson. Too little cap space and too many 5’10” receivers already on the team.

19. thursday says:

laughing right with you @griz.

Just saw a tweet saying it was the LAPD connecting him to “unsavory characters” and not the media. But regardless of what the truth is, I assume if we spring for him, that Carroll knows what he’s doing in terms of handling any off-field issues with him.

20. KR is covered with Harvin and Baldwin.

PR is a need.

21. “But WOW – just think of the offence with Harvin Jackson, Baldwin and Lynch. Crazy scary.”

that’s why you do it. . maybe, on a short deal. would be unbelievable talent to pair him with Percy. There may not be two faster WR’s in the world.

22. ospreyLV says:

An offer of 2 years 12M to Allen. So why only 3 or 4M to Jackson?

23. With Harvin only, you know he will get doubled.

Defence’s wouldn’t be able to double team Harvin and Jackson.

Still….. I would be flat out 100% defibrillator surprised if it happens.

24. HawkFanInAz says:

From Brian Westbrook.. “You have to believe that Chip and the organization believe that D Jack was too much of a distraction to keep. But it’s tough to see him go.”

Whether the NJ.com report is true or not, it sounds like the team didn’t want the distractions.

There may be a point with the money, but he was performing well which is why they gave him the big extension, correct? Asking a guy to restructure after having the year he had last year is kind of silly. Had he not done as well, I can see them asking to restructure.

There’s a lot of he said, she said going on here. Teams that are interested just need to really do their homework.

GO HAWKS!!

25. The LAPD connecting anyone with “unsavory characters” makes for a nice chuckle. They’re the biggest gang in LA, that’s for sure.

26. thursday says:

^lol exactly, which is why I’m taking that with a grain of salt.

27. Macabrevity says:

One of the ‘Trams’ interested in Jackson is the South Lake Union Transit.

28. Good one, Maca. Twitter reporting.

29. It’s fun thinking of SEA getting DJ, just like it was fun thinking of themm getting JA. If SEA somehow got DJ, and PC got him to buy-in, and PH stayed healthy, we could weather some bad injuries on offense and still be able to pull out wins. TJax could skipper that offense and win against strong competition. The best thing would be to be a fly on the wall of Jim Harbaugh’s office upon him hearing that SEA landed him…

30. Yeah, but it will truly suck if the 49er’s land him.

31. HawkFanInAz says:

Marshawn and DeSean were team mates in Cal, so maybe that will sway him to come play with us for the 6 mil a year they offered Allen. Does anyone know if they are good friends?

32. HawkFanInAz says:

*at call*

33. HawkFanInAz says:

oops, at Cal

34. Do we throw enough to keep a guy like this happy? Isn’t he used to catching lots of balls in the Andy Reid/Chip kelly offenses?

35. Agreed Griz. All of our current smurfs have rings. Nothing wrong with that.

36. Southendzone says:

Am I a dumb fan for getting excited every time a big name is linked to the Hawks? This one seems pretty awesome to me. We lost Tate, this guy is like Super-Tate.

Our offense goes deep with shot plays all the time, this guy was born for that type of shot play.

The safety wants to move down in the box to defend against Marshawn or a possible Harvin fly-sweep? Oops, there goes D-Jack for 60 yard TD over the top.

37. My guess is that Pete Carroll has some good knowledge of D. Jackson and probably tried to recruit him for USC. The gang ties issue is easy to slap a guy with, especially if you’re in New Jersey talking about LA. Far away and who knows. It could be true, but of more concern would be attitude on the field and in the locker room–as well as in the Greater Seattle/Tacoma community. I trust PC/JS to make that calculation. But not for big bucks, I’d hope.

38. rramstad says:

Osprey “An offer of 2 years 12M to Allen. So why only 3 or 4M to Jackson?”

Because defensive ends that can rush the passer are hard to find, and wide receivers are easy to find. Simple supply and demand.

That said I understand D-Jack is a very speedy guy, so he’s a bit unique, but he’s not going to get a huge payday from the Seahawks when they already have too much money locked up in the WR position with Harvin.

The guy’s played 11 games the past two seasons. Hilarious.

40. Jackson’s possible addition is for sure interesting in term of what he’d add to the talent level of the team. Somehow wonder how he’d be able to fit under the cap and whether he does bring a diva ‘tude along with himself that could be a distraction? His addition however might allow Baldwin to be traded to team needing a slot WR and a nice pick and $2.134 Mil to be recaptured as a result. Jackson could certainly upgrade the talent level at WR but the team would still likely be looking for that big redone or jump ball guy.

Interesting for sure, but not likely to happen.

41. montanamike2 says:

I’m sure we won’t get him but i hope he doesn’t go to SF, unlikely with Kaep still not budging but i don’t want him in our division unless it’s with us.

42. FairbanksDoug says:

Now that Sherman is more and more into marketing, how much is his name worth now that he is a superbowl winner versus not? How much more would it be worth with two or three rings? I am sure they come because they want a ring on their finger to show off, but I think for guys like Sherman, Russell, Bennett and Earl Thomas III they are building that name for the years beyond their NFL playing years. I believe more today then there was 10 years ago a player builds that name for marketing. It’s money in the bank, and I bet it’s more money then the loss they give up on their presumable home town discount.

43. Hammajamma says:

He’s behaved like a complete dueche. I’d be more entertained by Kam knocking some sense into him during practice than seeing him in uniform.

44. HawkFromDay1 says:

As long as he understands that the offense operates through #24, bring him on.

Just can’t possibly see how you wedge this dude under the cap.

If the goal of the offseason is to not jeopardize keeping Sherm and ET, I have no clue how you get Jackson.

45. Southendzone says:

They could bring him in at a reasonable #. It would be one of those things were he would have to want to be here pretty badly because you know teams like NYJ want him and have a lot more cap flexibility.

If we could have paid JA around 6M year we could do it for Djax. And with reports of his attitude etc.. he seems unlikely to command the 10M / year he’s currently at.

46. I think we’d find a way to work the dollars if we wanted him. But frankly I don’t think he fits our mantra. I don’t see him as a guy that wants to come to work every day and compete for his spot. It feels like he is a bit too much of a “me” player than what fits here. But who knows, his speed certainly fits with what we want.

47. edstang45 says:

Oh boy another what if

48. Personally, I have always hated a me first guy like this but I am pretty sure that this is exactly the type of guy that Mr. happy covets and in case you are a fool, like some, you understand that he is the singular person in this organization who calls the shots. I was for the Allen signing but don’t care for more Jackson type of guys, even though he’s among the most talented players in the NFL. He’s certainly great though, I won’t deny that.

If anyone here hated the way Alexander would curl up into the fetal position, then you have no right to hate on Shaun but to want Jackson.

49. ChrisHolmes says:

Well, my thing has always been: you cannot have enough playmakers on your team. And Jackson is a playmaker.

It’s up to the FO to determine if a dollar figure can be structured in a way that makes sense for the team, and if Jackson’s issues are something they can deal with. There’s obviously a risk of some kind or else Philly would have never let him go.

I know that in our offence – the way Bevell calls games and plays – he would be an impact player. We run a lot of 4 and 5-WR sets, and a lot of play-action out of running formations. There’s a lot of opportunity for a guy with his speed and one-on-one ability to make plays.

And he can return punts.

He’s a weapon. He would certainly fill the whole Tate left and then some.

I was upset when Tate was let go; this would certainly put salve on that wound.

50. HawkFanInAz says:

Anyone know if DJ has a good friendship with ML, since they both went to Cal at the same time? I asked this earlier, so maybe nobody knows.

51. freedom_X says:

One point in favor of getting Jackson cheaply – with lots of excellent receiver prospects in the draft that will be much cheaper to pay, demand will be dampened.

One point against getting Jackson in Seattle – why would he want to come to a run-oriented team that throws only 25 times a game? Jackson is exactly the kind of guy who will blow up and caterwaul if he’s not getting his touches, and he’ll take that public.

Also he won’t have much of a chance to build his value if he’s not pulling down 80+ receptions a year. He’ll only get a chance to stand out as a punt returner – Seattle’s strong defense and good special teams blocking might let him shine even brighter as a punt returner than he did in Philadelphia. But PR’s don’t play their way back into $8 million/yr contracts.

52. who knows how many options Jackson has – – and if those teams are great passing teams or not? plus, playing for a SB contending team brings it’s own spotlight.

Still think this is a huge longshot, but it’s fun to think about.

My close friend is a crazy Eagles fan, and he’s extremely bummed Jackson is gone, though his take is that there has got to be some off-the-field something going that the Eagles know about that is behind this move; not the salary.

53. chuck_easton says:

I will be shocked, flabbergasted, and bamboozled if Seattle figured out a way to sign him.

Not unhappy mind you. But I’d be giving it the big HUH????

54. The eye of tiger from the FO is to build from the draft. Why is everyone on this blog trying to build from free agentcy?

55. Singularitarian says:

Your not getting desean Jackson for 3-4 mill a year. Seattle has shown they will pay for free agent receivers. If we sign him it’s for 7.5 per minimum. A true deep threat who can’t be doubled or schemed around due to Lynch and Harvin would leapfrog this offense into the most potent in the NFL. Jackson is the ultimate play action deep threat reciever. I’d be fine paying him 9 million

56. Singularitarian says:

*you’re*

57. I saw DeSean Jackson picked the Seahawks for the Superbowl – mentioning Marshawn Lynch and how he’d been through a lot of stuff and would like to see him get a ring ….

58. With the front office “always competing” just as much as the players on the team – they’d be forced to be in the mix for a player with such a lot of talent … until they’re not … IMO. But what does Doug Baldwin think?

59. montanamike2 says:

The 49rs are getting thinner in the backfield, no doubt he’ll go to counseling or rehab and be playing in about a month, month and a half. Jimmy must be steaming right now, his team can’t stay out of trouble.

60. “We want to be above reproach in everything and do everything by the rules.”

61. I wonder if Culliver got into any of that “sweet stuff” while he was in the pokey?

BobbyK’s comment about Jackson avoiding contact is not incorrect, but that’s probably how he’s managed to only miss 9 games in his six years at 178 pounds soaking wet. You can get away with that being an outside, deep threat. Doesn’t work real well at RB, though I’m not a big Alexander hater.

Six teams have supposedly already contacted Jackson’s agent. I doubt they’re getting him for real cheap.

62. ospreyLV says:

Rramstad if WR is so easy to find why have the Hawks had such a difficult time! Recently (Largent for 8?) the only good WR trade ever made by Seattle was when Holmgren unloaded Joey Galloway on Dallas for not one but two first rounds that landed Alexander and Koren Robinson.

Burleson 3, Branch 1, Houshmandzadeh f/a, Rice were all a considerable waste. Tate would still likely be here if not for trading a 1st/3rd for Harvin.

Allen said ya’ll up north could wisper in the wind with that offer. Land a top DE 4 M under value, eh. And Golden Tate got 6M. Pony up

63. PH $13.4M cap hit
    ’13: 3 games, 68 snaps, $4.9M cap hit
    ’12: 9 games, 427 snaps,
    ’11: 16 games, 623 snaps
    ’10: 14 games, 650 snaps
    DJ
    ’13: 17 games, 1060 snaps, $9M cap hit
    ’12: 11 games, 722 snaps, $3M cap hit
    ’11: 15 games, 869 snaps
    ’10: 15 games, 856 snaps

64. I think Philly just didn’t want his 12M salary. Gang stuff is good cover story.

65. Seriously, I think WE ALL forget how great it is sometimes. Nothing can beat that night, but it makes me smile that I can dial up videos like this anytime to relive the Hawks crowning achievement so far. I t makes me smile to think about it. That’s not fleeting.

66. Watching Red, Mebane and Mike Rob is a bit bitter sweet.

67. I could see the Hawks putting in an offer similar to what they offered Tate. Which seems to be a little over 3M a year. Both receivers bring different but somewhat equal playmaking ability. While DJax is much more of a vertical threat than Tate, few guys, especially sub 6 ft guys, are able to consistently compete for the ball like Tate does. Watching DJax highlight reel, most of his catches are basket catches, I don’t think he has the hands Tate does. But both guys are shifty and good PRs.

I doubt 3M will be enough to land Jackson, but I have a feeling JS and PC are plenty ready to make some sort of big move, so we will see.

68. MikeFromNewJersey says:

So true bbmate… I have watched the highlights every single day since the super bowl. It never gets old and I smile every time. What an amazing night that capped off an uncredible season!!

P.S. “When you try me with a sorry ass receiver like Crabtree that’s what you get!!!!”

69. SandpointHawk says:

Tate was offered about 5 million a year according to several stories I’ve read. Only Tate said about half in his statement.

Art Thiel mentions it again in today’s column on DeSean Jackson and Pete Carroll….

“But the Seahawks did plan to spend some money to re-hire WR Golden Tate, as well as sign free agent DE Jared Allen, neither of which worked out. It’s not clear what the offers were, although reports said Tate was in line for a $5 million average annual value over multiple years and DE Jared Allen was offered $12 million over two years.”

70. I would be ecstatic if we could land DeSean somehow. It would be a huge win and coup for this FO to snag him away from the Niners. I think it’s in the realm of possibility, say somewhere in the range of 6-8M/yr for 2-3 yrs with incentives. Would not be worried about gang ties, Pete’s got that covered. Better LA founder would know if DeSean was knee deep into gangbanging. And we have multiple guys from LA, Sherman and Jeron Johnson are from Compton and Mebane went to Crenshaw HS, so they have ties in LA and would know if DJ is dangerous or not. Not worried about the money, JS would work that out so it wouldn’t compromise extending Earl and Sherm, he knows what he’s doing.

Imagine our offense with DJ! Bombs all day. And electricity @ CLink whenever we have a kickoff or a punt. PH and DJ would be threats to go all the way every time they touch the ball. I think 3-4 touches a game would be ok because one of them would almost always be a TD.
    I can’t imagine he’d be unhappy if he got 60 catches and 12-15 TD’s for the year.

So it comes down to playing with your good college teammate buddies (Marshawn and Mebane) and playing for a cool understanding coach in a run based offense with huge play action potential. If you can’t beat us, join us DeSean.

SF would be the other decent option for him to go back to the bay area, but then you have to deal with intense, crybaby Harbaugh all the time.
    And the Niners are run heavy also, so he wouldn’t get too many more touches there. Niners have 11M under the cap, we have 15M.

Give him the money we offered to JA, I say DeSean has way more impact.
    We got J Hill and Scruggs and some other guys that are hungry to show what they’ve got. And JA was past his prime, who knows how much he’s got in his tank. DJ is in his prime, right now, with 4.3 speed, damn!
    He is the true deep threat we are always wishing we had. Not since Galloway have we had a barn burner, legit deep threat the opposing D is truly scared of. If we get DJ, rest of the NFL is going to be very weary of our offense. With Marshawn in beast mode, Percy coming out in multi formations in the slot and outside, and DJ split out wide?
    Off the chain.

71. I believe he was released because of his current salary and future salary demands, he wanted to renegotiate his deal only 1.5 yrs after they gave him this huge deal. He got it after a subpar 2012 season, had a good year last year under Chip Kelly, and decided to ask for more money. With him being presumably high maintenance, it was probably decided by Eagles MGMT that he wasn’t worth the money and troubles, and decided to scapegoat him using the gang ties article. I agree the timing is very favorable to the Eagles cause, and seems suspiciously convenient. It seems like a cop out, when they really just didn’t want to pay him going forward.

Also, Chip Kelly just got done with his first year in the NFL, and is trying to establish his program. DeSean wasn’t one of his guys, and maybe he felt that DJ would make it harder for him to establish his culture in Philly. Let’s not forget PC/JS and their record number of transactions their first year here in 2010, among the many cuts was one TJ Houshmandzedeh, even though we owed him $7M that year. There are some guys that you just don’t feel will buy in, and that has to do with the fit of a certain player with a specific team. Not saying that DJ will be a perfect fit for us, but if PC endorses him, I have confidence that he can make it work.

72. montanamike2 says:

CCVI i totally agree about using the gang ties as an excuse to rid his salary and the Chip Kelly part. I still wouldn’t risk losing a core member if his salary demands are too high, but i also don’t want him in SF.

73. grizindabox24 says:

If the Niners were to sign DJ they would most likely have to release Gore

74. tealskin says:

The more I think about it, the less it seems likely that DJ would ever end up in Seattle. He was pushing for a bigger payday in Philly., appears to not be a team first guy. Does that sound like a fit? This FO has looked at players with character issues but they don’t stay if they place themselves above the team.

75. grizindabox24 says:

teal, not sure DJ is going to see a deal worth more APY than he had in Philly…most likely less

76. tealskin says:

Griz. Not thinking he’ll get a bigger contract, but it’s an indication of where his head is at. If I worked in a FO and had to deal with a star player that wanted to renegotiate a contract, it would tend to poison the relationship. Maybe that happened with Clem and the Hawks? Must be a hell of a juggling act keeping the players salaries in line with performance vs. their expectations.

77. How about giving him a 3-4 yr deal but just guaranteeing 8 M?
    That would free us from the burden of a huge long term deal and give us an out in case it doesn’t work out.

78. grizindabox24 says:

CCVI, I see no way that the Hawks offer DJ what a couple other teams most likely will…and someone will offer him more than just $8M gtd.

79. You’re right Griz, it may be wishful thinking on my part, but I never thought we could get Avril and Bennett last year either. It’s just so tantalizing to imagine PH and DJ lining up together, nowhere for defenses to double team, nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide for opposing D’s.

I was thinking we were offering GT 5M/yr, and didn’t sign a replacement.
    We also earmarked around 6M/yr for JA, and I don’t think the 2 deals were exclusive. I think PC/JS were prepared to go forward on both if possible.

I feel like something in the neighborhood of a 3 yrs/$30M w/ a guaranteed $9M as a sign on bonus would do it to land DJ, considering the fact that not many teams would have the cap room along with concerns about his character and also the fact that this draft is 5 rounds deep with good WR talent.
    I’m thinking a reasonable contract would break down like this:
    First yr: 3M sign on bonus / 4M non-guaranteed base w/ 3M more possible if qualifiers met
    Second yr: 3M sign on bonus/ 4M non-guaranteed base w/3M possible w/ incentives
    Third yr: 3M sign on bonus / 4M non-guaranteed base w/3M possible w/ incentives

80. chuck_easton says:

CCVI,

So you want to tie 21.5 Million of the salary CAP to two players who play the same position? 11.5M for Harvin and 10M for Jackson?

Sorry, ain’t gonna happen.

81. SF could jettison Gore, RBs are cheap this offseason(?) SFs cap rollover was near $2.2M to apply to this season’s cap, while SEAs was a little more than $2.8M. Maybe JS wants to make the rollover this seson as large as possible to try an account for ET, Sherm, et al, salary increases in ’15, but then how much will the cap increase in the years thereafter?

Off Cap/Def Cap / Cap Space ($millions)

CLE 38.2/58.6 / 40.1

BAL 57.0/58.8 / 5.3
    KCC 52.9/66.2 / 4.7
    SDC 69.6/42.6 / 3.7
    NOS 67.8/42.5 / 3.6
    DET 58.1/66.4 / 1.8
    DEN 70.4/52.0 / 0.3

If it’s money he wants, DJ could well go to the Jets, even though they’ve said contradictory things in the press the last coupla months. It’s also possible that SF and SEA could try to bid each other up. I’m also wondering what ARI might do to put a burner opposite Fitz, and really hope that STL never gets anybody for Bradford to throw to.

82. chuck, is PH’s cap hit this year only $11.5M? The number I saw was $13.4M: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/percy-harvin/

83. Chuck, we had $21M tied up in Zach Miller and Sidney Rice for 2013.
    Yes, that just happened this past year.
    Can you answer this simple question?
    Who would you rather have DeSean Jackson and Percy Harvin or
    Sidney Rice and Zach Miller?
    The fact of the matter is, the Seattle FO has been more than willing to pay and overpay for offensive players, especially pass catchers.
    Not what I would ideally like, but it’s been proven time and time again. Part of the reason is that our head coach was a DB coach, that’s his wheelhouse. He can make 5th rounders into Pro Bowlers and All Stars, but can’t do the same with wideouts.
    If you disagree I challenge you to check the facts.

And we wouldn’t be paying DeSean 10M unless he got the extra 3M in incentives, which means that he was ballin’. Just sayin’.

84. chuck_easton says:

CCVI,

Miller took a paycut and Rice was outright cut. The reason? Team couldn’t afford to pay them like they did last year.

So, there is a difference. One WR making over 10 million a year is pretty much all a team can take on.

Name one other NFL team that has two 10+M WR’s…go ahead, I’ll wait.

85. Chuck,

These numbers are straight from Spotrac, so you can check them if you want. And to me it doesn’t matter if you have 2 each at $10M, I believe your point was that a team can’t function with that much money tied up in 2 WR’s.

Miami Dolphins:
    Mike Wallace – $15M base, $2.2M bonus, $17.25M cap hit for 2014
    Brian Hartline – $4.785M base, $1.4M bonus, $6.210M cap hit.
    There you go, 2014 base salaries of nearly $20M and more importantly a cap hit of over $23M for those two players! And to top it all off, neither are considered “elite”, just good and solid. And the Miami Dolphins are still considered by some to be threats in the AFC East.

No other team in the NFL can afford to pay $10M a receiver because their Pro Bowl QB and All Pro CB don’t make less than $2.5M COMBINED.
    I don’t know why you’re getting hung up on the $10M number, I am not a contract negotiator for the Seahawks, I just threw that out there because that’s what we do as fans, we speculate. I really hope we can sign DeSean for $6-8M if possible.

I think you are trying to say that no NFL team can be successful while paying 2 WR’s 10M each, and my counterpoint to that was that we already won the SB paying Miller and Rice $21M, and the reason they are not playing for the same money this year because situations change and the market always dictates what you can get. And because Wilson and Sherman ( since he has not been extended yet) will make peanuts for at least another year, PC/JS can structure the team’s salary hierarchy this way if they so choose to. Can I ask you a question, are you against signing him for $10M, or against signing him at all?

Also, might I ask why we have to be like every other team? Especially when being unique has gotten us so much success and the ultimate prize?
    PC’s coaching philosophy is unique, JS approach and relationship with his head coach is unique, and the makeup of our team, of a bunch of nobodies and underdogs, is also unique. Name another team that is coached like ours and is built like ours.
    Because of what Sherm and Russ make, our salary cap structure has been and will be different from other teams for at least 1 more yr. You fail to acknowledge that’s part of the secret to our success, the fact that Sherm and Russ make so little that we can splurge in other areas.

86. wabubba67 says:

tiny bbs,

Mebane is still with Seattle and Robinson is a FA who is expected to re-sign with Seattle. Much more sweet than bitter.

87. Sandpoint–Tate was initially offered only 3.4 million per year by Seattle, before they upped their offer to 5 million per after Detroit offered 6.25 per. The offer Tate found insulting was the initial offer of 3.4 million, not their later offer of 5 million.

On Desean; he’s a wimpy punk, but fast. There’s no way he takes a big enough paycut to be a Seahawk. Washington will pay him big bucks, and so will other teams. Seattle just doing Due Diligence.

Funny how hard it’s been for Seattle to find a big physical WR; it’s been as hard as finding a LG who doesn’t suck lol!

Bottom line; no way in hell does Jackson end up a Hawk.

88. Arguing angrily over which guys were starters is, IMO, silly. Thurmond was our starting nickel back, and played a lot. McDonald played a big role and helped us mightily as a key rotational piece of our D-line. Same with Big Red. We arent sure we can replace Clemons without losing some pressure. Tate will not be easily replaced, whatever some may think. Losing all those guys will hurt, but it had to be done.

This is how you stay young and hungry; you keep churning every four years; you have the majority of the team underpaid, young, and fighting for their job, more money, and respect. When guys get expensive, you let them go and backfill with the next young Hungry.

We may be weaker this year, but there’s more opportunity for rookies and young guys to step up. Someone will!

89. SandpointHawk says:

STTBM…tell Art Thiel that not me. Last I heard he actually had access to the players and management of the Seahawks. It would also be refreshing for a change when you are stating these “facts” to drop a link or two and share your sources with all of us uneducated fans…

90. Chuck, are you out there? Or are you still waiting…

91. Sandpoint–Art Thiel is a Kept Man now–He’s on the Hwaks payroll; ie, he sold out. (PS Good for him!).

Regardless, if you read the full text of Tates interview where he called Seattles INITIAL offer “laughable”, you would’ve understand. But if you’re like many Seahawks fans who don’t care to research and already made up their minds, then nothing will change your opinion.

To be clear, I wasnt mad at you or taking the piss at all, just trying to make things clear. You’re a good dude and all right in my book…

92. SandpointHawk says:

Art Theil is parter in Sports Press Northwest and has never worked for the Seahawks. It has been said by some that Art is the most anti-Seahawk journalist in the Seattle area. I believe you are thinking of Clare Farnsworth who now works for the Seahawks. Easy mix up, they both worked at the Seattle PI together back when they actually printed newspapers…

Tates interview never once mentions dollar figures, just vague terms like “40%” and “almost half” I will post a link to the origination interview which was a radio interview on 710 ESPN Bob and Groz show.

I for one would love to see the real figures but unfortunately we will probably never really know what went on behind the closed doors at Virginia Mason Athletic Center.

It’s no big deal, the whole point being that the Hawks did offer Tate more than 3 million, and as Tate infers in the interview, by then it was to late…

93. chuck_easton says:

CCVI,

No, you proved my point for me quite nicely. It took you some time and the best you could find is a situation where a team has two WR’s who’s combined salary is over 20M. That wasn’t what I asked.

You are advocating signing Jackson to 10+ Million. The team already has Harvin at 11.5 base salary and a cap hit of over 13M for this year.

I asked you to find one other team with TWO WR’s who both make 10+.

Truth is you can’t because there aren’t any. The reason? Too much money to tie up in one position.

My point stands.

And that is why Jackson will not be a Seahawk if the price tag is over 10M per…

But thank you for proving my point.

94. Macabrevity says:

Mindlessly throwing money at certain positions in FA in hopes you get an upgrade is no way to build a team for the long run. We don’t need DJ at all…. what we need is a good or even great draft. We need some holdovers from last years class to step up. We need Kearse to keep making strides. We definitely don’t need to invest another 10M a year at the WR position. With Jared Allen, you can make a case that pass rushers are at a premium, and a key component to our success, but throwing JA money at DJ might not have the impact in the win column that it might on John Madden Football, but could easily hurt us long term if it back-fired.

95. grizindabox24 says:

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 25m
    .@spotrac predicts DeSean Jackson’s new deal will be for 5 years and $48.3M with $14.97M in guaranteed money.

96. HawkFanInAz says:

Visiting the Redskins today, and the Raiders, Bills, Jets are on the list as visits. I think it’s safe to say he won’t be coming to Seattle, one of those teams will sign him. I hear the Raiders really want him, according to NFL AM.

97. With the reports that Jackson’s agent wants $8-10 Mil/yr I don’t think there is any way he signs here.

He’d be an interesting addition to the receiving corps which would present match-up problems for opposing teams, but @ $8 mil/yr it isn’t likely the Hawks would be buyers.

I think Oakland will ‘win’ in this bidding war.

98. Chuck,

You set parameters that I don’t have to live by. Why do I need to find a team with 2 $10M WR’s when that was not my original point. My point was that a team could be competitive and likely dominant if they pay the right players huge sums of money. Because RW and RS are on rookie contracts and our situation allows it.

Let’s just agree to disagree since these are just opinions, and not belabor this any longer. It only took me 3 min to find the cap numbers, I just googled it. I responded to you late because I have a life. Unlike some on this blog, I don’t live in my mom’s basement. smh.