Report: Chancellor having ‘minor’ hip surgery; he refutes it on Twitter

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 25, 2014 at 6:23 pm with 35 Comments »
March 25, 2014 6:31 pm

ESPN’s John Clayton reported Tuesday that Seahawks strong safety Kam Chancellor is having minor hip surgery.

Clayton says the surgery will not be to the level of Percy Harvin’s.

Chancellor was listed on the injury report a few times last season, with the injuries noted as “quadriceps” and “ankle” another time. He didn’t miss any games last season.

Chancellor also was dinged up during the Super Bowl when he came off briefly after making a special teams tackle.

On Twitter, Chancellor appeared to refute the report.

1. montanamike2 says:

I’m confused.

2. Seems like so is John Clayton.

3. I’m watching the Phillies/Yankees on MLB Network and the Yankee$ pitcher getting interviewed is wearing a DangeRuss t-shirt. (Shawn Kelley is the pitcher)

4. That is a pic of a guy wearing a seatbelt. He is wearing it wrong but at least he is wearing it.

It’s good he isn’t having surgery. Maybe it’s just a procedure to drain some fluid or something. Or maybe Clayton is losing it.

5. Ray_Maines says:

No! This is the total beginning of the end. All is lost.

As the world turns……

6. No surprise there. I haven’t heard Clayton be right about much of anything in years. If you played back a recording of all his predictions it would sound like stand up comedy.

7. jawpeace says:

Yay just got my Blu ray super bowl DVD. And Super Hawks by the Tribune and Olympian.

And I thought over the season that Cam was most improved. Towards the end of the season he was a scary force on the field. He has six months to get right if any problems. Which I would believe Cam and is none over Clayton.

8. Twitter has sure changed sports (and news) coverage. . .

9. Jared Allen signed a 4 year deal with the Bears.

10. DanielleMND says:

Damn. So much for the theory that winning a Super Bowl makes it easier to lure veteran players. I guess that only applies to teams outside of South Alaska.

11. montanamike2 says:

Pabs is that true? I can’t find any links.

12. Southendzone says:

We can finally shut up about Allen. You could tell it wasn’t going to happen.

13. Signing Allen at the right price would have been huge. But paying so much that it restricts our options with the core guys Wilson, ET, Sherman coming up would do more harm than good in the long term. So if the young DE can have an impact we may be better off in the long run.

14. montanamike2 says:

OK NFL.com has that link. Damn, if he doesn’t want to be here, i don’t want him. Plan B?

15. edstang45 says:

Mm mm how did Clayton miss that…Jared who???

16. edstang45 says:

I am curious how many millions does it take to sway ya from a chance at a ring

17. montanamike2 says:

The Bears just replaced an aging Peppers with an aging Allen, he still has tread left but he would have fit our system better. Have fun watching us in the playoffs from your couch Jared.

18. Jared Allen’s contract: 4 years at $32M that voids to 3 for $24M. $15.5M is fully guaranteed,

19. So looks like Allen was able to squeeze out an additional $2m a year from the Seahawks offer.

We all know that was the reason for the delay, don’t we?

20. mquinn73 says:

First reports indicating that Allen signed a 4yr contract for $32m, with $15.5m guaranteed. I couldn’t see Schneider & Carroll being prepared to offer that many years for a 31yr old defensive end whose best days are behind him.

It’ll be interesting to see how he fares in Chicago though. To me, he always looked like a player who was better on artificial turf in a dome rather than outdoors or on grass.

So, we’re still approx. $16m under the cap as things currently stand, right?

I’m curious to see what the front office does now. Do we have a Plan B now that Clemons is gone and Allen & Melton have signed elsewhere? Who’s left in the market?

In one way, I’m comforted by the fact that our front office has shown that they will be disciplined in the pursuit of free agents. No doubt losing Allen will hurt. But if you look at those franchises that have been successful over a prolonged period of time, they have built their team around the draft, some good trades and with smart, sometimes undervalued, free agent signings. Rarely does the big-name free agent ‘splash’ really deliver over a longer timeframe.

21. CDHawkFan says:

I came on last Friday and suggested this was what he was doing by needing the weekend ”to think about it”. Freedom and Duke then said what was wrong with giving the guy some time as this was a major decision in his life.

Again, he didn’t use the time to ”think about it” in terms of city/moving his family, he used it to get a better deal. While I don’t have a problem with what JA did, I wonder how others didn’t see through the major decision BS.

22. sluggo42 says:

Whatever……., next!

Teams stay good by not blowing up the budget on the wrong players. JA = good player! but not at $8 mil per year for a part time guy. We will draft a winner. Or 5.
    Last year I didn’t think more than 4 would make it. This year, we already need 4-5…

23. montanamike2 says:

CDHawkFan i remember you bringing that up.

24. Durn. Dude just needs that extra 2 million a year or he cant be happy…Sorry, but his decision is pretty lame. Which is fine, if he’s that way then he doesnt belong here. Bears gave up 15.5 million guaranteed though? Thats huge for a guy his age…no way Seattle could match.

Chicago is a lot closer to where his family lives; perhaps he’s going to keep them there, and that played a part as well. South Alaska is quite a ways from Minny.

There are no Defensive linemen of Allen and Meltons talent and skill level left out there. I cant see Seattle signing anyone who’s currently on the market, unless they are second or third tier guys to compete as a backup. They will probably wait until cuts in preseason.

Now we can add DE and DT to our draft needs, along with RT, WR, and db.

25. They won’t draft OL before the 4th round unless the next David DeCastro falls to them.

26. Too bad – would have been a big boost for us. This is why we should have kept Clemons. I wonder who will end up being the 3rd DE? Irvin? Mayowa? Draft choice?

I am hoping we can use the $Xm he would have cost to re-sign Sidney Rice and/or sign Pat Sims.

27. mquinn73 says:

CDHawkFan – so what are you saying? That Schneider and Carroll should’ve said “this is the deal and it’s only on the table until such time as you walk out the door” (i.e. sign before you leave or the deal is gone)?

I think JS and PC deserve some credit for the way they have handled free agency in each of the seasons that they’ve been here. OK, so we’ve lost a few good players this off-season (a by-product of all successful teams) and we haven’t signed anyone new (again, an indication of the strength in depth we’ve got across most positions).

Sure, losing Allen will sting a bit. But I’m sure the $16m that we have left under the cap will be put to good use!

28. grizindabox24 says:

CDHawk, everyone knew what JA was doing, but they realize it is his choice to do so. Everyone involved knew the deal.

29. Quinn will have to earn his money, and Avril will have to produce like a top-flight pass rushing DE, not just get scam sacks pushed his way by Bennett and Clem. Things will be ok.

While it would have been nice to have Allen, now we have the money to pay Sherm and ET and RW. So not to worry.

We’ve got to replace Tate and Clemons. Big holes, but not impossible to fill. We lost McDonald, Thurmond, and some junk like McQ and Breno. No big loss there except for McDonald, as we can replace Thurmond without worrying about his propensity to toke.

I have faith in Jeremy Lane and the rest to backfill for Thurmond, and in our D-linemen like Brooks, Williams, and Hill etc to fill in for McDonald. And we have bodies at DE, some very intriguing…Mayowa, Morgan, Irvin, and others…

Lets see what we get in the draft, and watch it work itself out in preseason…Those position battles are why I love the preseason…I can watch football without getting worked up over the outcome, as Im watching position battles–unlike the regular season and postseason, where Im far too intensely caught up in the whole win/loss thing…

30. grizindabox24 says:

STTBM, the Hawks had money for Sherm, ET, and RW even if they did sign Allen.

31. Maybe. They havent announced any extensions though, have they? To me, that says ET wants to be the highest paid safety in the game, and Sherm most likely wants Revis money. Of course, I dont think JS will want to go there. But now they have the money to do that, as well as pay RW, even if the cap ends up a little lower than projections.

We’re in good shape, and we should see at least one extension hit before the cutoff. Im hoping both ET and Sherm get their money. It kinda pisses me off they want to extend ET first. He’s already made millions, while Sherm has made peanuts, and shutdown CB’s are worth a LOT more than FS’s on the market.

You can say there’s no one like ET–and you’d be right–but there’s no one like Sherm either.

32. grizindabox24 says:

STTBM, where did I say the Hawks have worked out extensions and they should be announced. What I did say was that if the Hawks signed Allen they could still extend Sherm, ET, and RW. The question should be that even with the cap space will they come to an extension agreement with Sherm, ET, and RW.

33. CDHawkFan says:

Slave, I hope they do DB, ET, and Sherm all on the same day.

34. The problem I see with the extensions is the overall costs.

How good of a team will we have if we are paying #1 safety, #1 CB and top 5 QB in dollars?

They could easily take up 30% or more of the salary – can you put a decent team around them with that?

35. “not just get scam sacks pushed his way by Bennett and Clem”

What a freaking joke. Was his pressure and caused interception in the SB a scam? I guess all of his forced fumbles are a scam? Clem wasn’t the same player for at least the 1st half of the season IMO. You have your narrative about Avril and stick to it regardless of additional data.