Morning Links: The waiting is the hardest part

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 23, 2014 at 11:14 am with 42 Comments »
March 23, 2014 11:14 am

Good morning.

There was a fake report about Jared Allen this morning, otherwise, his status remains the same as everyone waits for him to make a decision.

Our Dave Boling was at the Seattle regional combine Saturday. He said it’s a place for longshots to get their shot. From Boling:

Tag Ribary, Seahawks director of team operations, explained how NFL personnel staff can benefit from these endeavors.

“It’s an extra look,” he said Saturday at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center. “There’s people that maybe have been out of the game a little bit, but they’re still keeping in shape and they’re still eligible to compete at a certain level whether it’s the NFL, CFL, Arena League. And there’s all kinds of body types and skill levels at these things.”

Inside the cold practice facility, the players went through the same tests and measurements conducted at the featured combine in Indianapolis. They then were taped running through specific “position skills.”

The results from the 10 regional combines get registered with the league, where scouts can access numbers that are uniform and reliable.

The Seahawks had already scouted (Benson) Mayowa and graded his performance while he was at Idaho. But he got noticed at the combine.

“We got that extra look at him,” Ribary said. “He ran well, he jumped well. His numbers were really good, and he took it from there.”

Punters and kickers participate in the regional combine today.

Links:

> ESPN writes that Gus Bradley is becoming a draw in Jacksonville.

> Multiple reports that the Eagles will trade or cut DeSean Jackson.

> The 49ers’ GM, Trent Baalke, says they have not talked to Philadelphia about Jackson.

> USA Today writes about the Jets gambling on Michael Vick. The signing of Vick led to former Pete Carroll pupil Mark Sanchez being cut.

1. SandpointHawk says:

Good for Gus…

2. montanamike2 says:

The 49’rs can’t afford him, they’re still trying to work the Kaep.

3. SaigonSun says:

It doesn’t matter about the 9ers. Seahawks will win the west, Arizona will be the wildcard, Philadelphia or the Giants will be the other wildcard. S.F. is done.

4. jawpeace says:

I was thinking about the schedule. As SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS(so fun to say)that means we will be playing the first game of the year on Thursday night. I believe the NFL schedule rule was that every team has to play one Thursday game. Does that mean we fulfill our one Thursday game quota with that game?
    If so that is really cool that we don’t have to have a short week during the season. Also like the fact that game is usually on the main networks as I don’t have the NFL network and will be able to record the game.

5. edstang45 says:

Allen must be pretty torn with this decision. ..like him to make it and live with it …my anticipation is more important. ..Go Hawks

6. Singularitarian says:

Pick 1, not considering money. Allen or Jackson. I’m going with Jackson. Make you say Golden who when returning punts. The ultimate play action deep threat across from Percy. End around from either side. Probably won’t happen but it would be sick

7. With training camp 1/3 year away, I think it’s okay to take a couple of days to ponder. As a fan it’d be nice to know though. lol

8. Singularitarian says:

I don’t agree that Gas Bradley is becoming a draw. To ex Seahawks who just got cut? Yes. But outside that I see Toby Gerhart who’s choices were to get buried in the depth charts (aagain)in SF, or play for the mistake of a team that is Cleveland. Taking Jax over those 2 options doesn’t make Gustavo Bradley a “draw” in my eyes

9. Southendzone says:

Just about any team can fit desean if they want, its about what they’d sacrifice to do it.

He would be scary on SF, and i know CAR is cap strapped but they could use a big time WR also

10. HawkFanInAz says:

Since we’re all in a waiting game to see what Jared will do, lets have a little fun.

Does he sign with the Seahawks?

Retire?

Sign with another team? Visited Seattle two times, Denver, (Denver got Ware) and Dallas (got Melton)

It seems he either signs with us, or retires…correct? Or is there another team that he may secretly have talked to over the weekend?

Can anything be secretly done anymore these days? :)

11. The Broncos played 2 TNF games last year.

12. ospreyLV says:

Most would agree, Harvin was not needed to win XLIII. PH at 13M is getting Tom Brady 15M money or QB in general. I will not lie, can’t wait for 2014 n mercy Percy. But at what PRICE!

15.2 M Hawks under cap
    Sherman f/a in 15 making 1.5 M
    Thomas f/a in 15 making 5.5 M
    Wilson f/a in 16 BUT cap up 15 M

How can hawks up Sherman at to 10M or so, sign draft picks at 4 to 5 M and still sign Allen?

13. ospreyLV says:

Xl111= SB48

14. Singularitarian says:

Seattle has about 40 million in cap next year to spend before the cap increase, so probabaly 50 mill. Remember all those cuts this year? those dead money cap hits wont be there next year

15. Singularitarian says:

with that 40 mill comes FA for Sherman, Thomas, Maxwell and KJ as well as a need to sign extentions for Wilson and Wagner. I think it could get done with that money. You might be able to cut McDaniel and save another 3 mill if some of the draft picks get it going this year. Also there is a possibility of cutting or restructuring Marshawn Lynch and saving 7.5 against the cap. That makes close to 60 mill for those guys

16. Singularitarian says:

now that I look at it we are looking fantastic for the cap next year. we could have upwards of 60 mill cap space if we don’t make any big additions, to sign Sherman, Thomas, KJ, Wilson, Maxwell, and Wags. could definitely get done. Maxwell and KJ could be gone, along with McDaniel. Next man up!

17. Singularitarian says:

If we didn’t sign anybody else in free agency and didn’t extend Sherman this year, by my estimation we’d have around 64-67 million for those players next year, depending on the cap rise

18. HawkFanInAz says:

So, nobody wants to play the guessing game? Why not, everyone fell for the supposed signing?

GO HAWKS!!

19. Singularitarian says:

ok I’ll bite. Jarred Allen 2 years 14 mill all guaranteed with Seattle

20. montanamike2 says:

How is that offer insulting?

21. ospreyLV says:

Dead money? Give all examples voice business

22. Singularitarian says:

dead money is all listed on overthecap.com it’s $8,474,008 this year which disappears next year

23. TallyHawk says:

Gus is absolutely a factor in Jax. They’ve signed a couple free agents that weren’t ex hawks. They arent big names but the jags aren’t a contender yet. You don’t change a culture overnight. By all accounts Gus is one of those guys that wins you over the moment you meet him. Remember when Pete got here seattle wasn’t on the top of the list for places free agents would go. Now it is. A lot of that has to do with Pete.

24. How difficult can the decision be? I hope Jared Allen can show a little more decisiveness on the field (for whoever he plays for). What a lotta nonsense.

25. That’s true. 4 days to figure out if he wants to play for a team? He should just retire already and get it over with.

The man has already made roughly $75-$80m. If he’s concerned with his health, what’s the point of playing for another $10-$20m?

We know what he’s really concerned about and it’s not his health, getting a ring or establishing a legacy.

26. HawkFanInAz says:

Ok, my 2 cents. I say he retires, because he won’t take anything less than 8 million a year, which I doubt we offered him.

27. Southendzone says:

I don’t think he’s going to retire. I feel like he would love to pad his stats a bit more. At 32 years old you know he thinks he’s got some miles left on him and is still a force.

I have a weird hunch he’s going to sign with a team we don’t really expect right now.

28. “He wants to win.”

“He wants to pad his stats.”

“He wants to get paid.”

“He sucks if he doesn’t want to be here.”

“He sucks if he doesn’t want to win a ring here.”

“He’s a jerk if he doesn’t want to play for the Seahawks.”

“He’s a creep if he takes less from someone else.”

There’s more options, too.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough which it is.

If he’s signs with the Hawks it’s because he wants to play for a winner and he’s such an awesome dude for accepting less than he potentially could have. If he goes somewhere else, he’s a loser who we didn’t want anyways (even if he finishes in the top 5 in the NFL in sacks in ’14). If he retires, it’s a mute point.

29. “He’s a creep if he takes less from someone else.”

We all know that’s not an option.

30. Ray_Maines says:

Alex Bannister was at the regional combine. All 6’5″, 207 lbs and 34 years of him. In 2003 he was selected to the Pro Bowl, for his special teams play.

Heck yes! ComPete

31. Ray_Maines says:

Ooops. I got all fired up and hit the Submit Comment a little too fast. My motor is always running at full throttle. Hustle, hustle, hustle. Maybe there’s room on the practice squad for an old, short, fat guy. I’ll sign for league minimum.

OK, back to semi reality…

AB hasn’t played since 2006 and wasn’t all that good back then, but apparently he hasn’t found a steady job, so heck yes, bring him in and lets see what he’s got left. At least let him dream for a month or two.

32. Bannister ran the wrong route in the “We want the ball and we’re gonna score” game. That’s why GB won on that INT to end the game.

I’m not wrong, am I? Or was it a different clown receiver?

33. Ray_Maines says:

No sir, you are NOT wrong. But….

All I said was give the man a chance to compete for a job. God bless the guy if he can pull it off. Who could possibly be more motivated than a 38 year old looking for one last chance.

He’s had eight years to learn the playbook ;)

34. MoSeahawk12 says:

I also believe Bannister broke his collar bone several times and was unable to recover from it. Maybe the eight years allowed him to finally heal up. Milk does a body good and all as they say.

35. mquinn73 says:

We’ve lost some good players this off-season. It’s a by-product of our success. And we’ll continue to lose more next off-season. The challenge for the front-office and the coaching staff is twofold:

1. Identify the absolute ‘must keeps’. Chancellor and Harvin are already in that group based on the contracts they’ve been given. It’s safe to assume that Wilson, Sherman, Thomas, probably Avril and Wagner, maybe Okung, will also be in there. Those are the guys that you want to build the franchise around – not just the current team, but successive teams… these are the 10-12 year guys, the guys that play out their career here because we can’t afford to have them leave.

2. Get the best ‘supporting cast’ to build successful teams around the ‘must keeps’. Bennett is a prime example of this. So too is Zach Miller. These guys are the difference between having a small group of perennial pro-bowlers (a la Philadelphia, the Cowboys, the Lions, etc) or a truly successful team. However, the supporting cast are the guys that you have to be prepared to cut or let them sign elsewhere. Golden Tate was one of those guys. The challenge is to find someone else, either already on the team or through free-agency or through the draft, to step up and fill that position.

Hopefully, Tharold Simon can replace Thurmond. Hopefully, Bowie or Bailey can replace McQuistan or Giacomini. Hopefully, Jordan Hill or Gregg Scruggs or Jesse Williams can replace Bryant and McDonald. If they can, or if the team can draft well, or if we can pick up one or two bargains in free agency, then the ‘hawks have a real chance to repeat. If not, then it’s going to be tough to lose that quality supporting cast and still win those tough, close games.

So, right now, as much as I want Jared Allen, I absolutely want the team to structure its payroll so that it can sign Sherman, Thomas and the other ‘must keeps’ as its priority. I think that means that we can only go to $7m-$8m for Allen, and even then it’s only for two years. Maybe $12m guaranteed. I don’t know if that will be enough to get a deal done. But if it’s not, I won’t lose any sleep over it. However, I would be much more anxious if I heard that they signed Allen to $30m/$40m over 3/4 years, because I can’t see how they can do that and still keep the key guys we need to build into the future.

36. chuck_easton says:

OK,

I think we can put the Jared Allen talk behind us and move on to the next big ‘thing’. He had the weekend. If he hasn’t been able to decide by now, I will venture that the decision is already made. Allen just hasn’t fully embraced what his body and mind are telling him. It’s time to hang em up and move on into the next phase of life.

Allen only wanted to come back if somebody was foolish or desperate enough to give him that 10M a year for multiple years. Nobody did. He had his bottom line and nobody met it. Good for Allen for sticking to his principles and good for the Seahawks for not allowing themselves to get caught up in the moment.

There are more important issues that have to be addressed and they involve the best CB in the league, the best FS in the league and one of the best young QB’s in the league.

Bobby – You’re not wrong. He didn’t break his route off.

38. Bobbyk–While Bannister ran the wrong route, that play was coming all game long. It was just as much Hasselbeck and Holmgrens fault as it was Bannisters, and here’s why;

Early in the game, Hass completed an out route to the left sideline. Al Harris sat on it, and appeared to let it happen in order to ensure no out and up got by him. This was repeated at least three more times in the game, and at least once to the right sideline; Harris allowed the completion every time!

I told my family after the second completion that Holmgren and Hass better watch out calling that play–Harris HAD to be setting them up for later in the game when it really mattered. With every completion, I grew more certain that Harris was baiting them….

When that fateful play started, I told my family OH NO, he better not throw the out! When Hass cocked his arm, I swore fiercely and shut the TV off…My family began yelling “what the hell, why’d you do that?! Turn it On! TUrn it oN! I said “Hass just threw the out AGAIN, and this time Harris is waiting to pick it and will take it to the house–GAME OVER!”

They turned on the TV just in time to see Harris taking it into the end zone…

Now, Im not just a casual fan, I do have a pretty good understanding of football–I played HS football and Im a football geek. But Im not a coach, never have been, and there’s no WAY Holmgren and Hass should have missed what was happening. They BLEW IT, and are just as much at fault as Bannister, if not moreso.

39. I still don’t think Jared Allen will retire. He just takes his time is all. It can be hard for these jocks to give up the game for good. Just ask Favre. My guess on a number is 3 yrs – 24 mil with 6 mil guaranteed and another 4 mil reachable through incentives.

If we could get Jaccpot Jackson – B.O.B for real. Going deep all way.