Morning Links: Free agency calms down

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 14, 2014 at 3:09 am with 47 Comments »
March 14, 2014 3:09 am

Good morning.

Another day of free agency down. Things calmed down yesterday. The Seahawks brought back Tarvaris Jackson on a one-year deal. Otherwise, the news was from out of town, with Chris Clemons reportedly signing with the Jaguars and Brandon Browner talking to multiple teams, including the New England Patriots.

Let’s recap the status of Seahawks free agents, and we’ll add Sidney Rice into the mix this time since there appears to be an outside chance of his return. And, we’ll kind of reorganize them:

BACK

DT Tony McDaniel

QB Tarvaris Jackson

DL Michael Bennett (signed before free agency)

OUT

WR Golden Tate: Signed a five-year deal with Detroit.

RT Breno Giacomini: Signed with the New York Jets.

DT Clinton McDonald: Signed for four years and $12 million with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

S Chris Maragos: Signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

IN LIMBO

CB Walter Thurmond: Visited Jacksonville. Said visit to San Francisco was next.

LB O’Brien Schofield: Back on the market after deal with the Giants was killed because of bad physical.

CB Brandon Browner: Talking to multiple teams.

TE Kellen Davis: Don’t anticipate seeing him back following the Anthony McCoy signing.

K Steven Hauschka: Waiting to hear on Hauschka.

G Paul McQuistan: No action.

FB Michael Robinson: No action.

RELEASED

DT Red Bryant: Signed with Jacksonville.

DE Chris Clemons: Signed with Jacksonville.

WR Sidney Rice: Pete Carroll did not rule out his return, but he also said the same about Red Bryant.

I’d guess that Hauschka will be back. I’d also anticipate the main reason for all this maneuvering and not paying people like Tate is to reach and extension with either Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman, if not both.

The Seahawks extended Kam Chancellor on April 23 of last year. Here’s what general manager John Schneider said at the time, and it sounds applicable to today:

“This whole offseason has been about Kam and we wouldn’t have gotten into any other deals if we felt it was going to put his situation in jeopardy,” Schneider said.

Links:

> Our Dave Boling says youth means little in the NFL when you become expensive.

> DL Jason Hatcher signed with the Redskins.

> Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft is out.

> The Raiders signed Justin Tuck and LaMarr Woodley, much to Eric Williams’ delight.

> Steve Smith promises “blood and guts” if he plays the Panthers.

> OL Roger Saffold is back with St. Louis, and his agent intimates the Raiders used the “failed physical” route to back out of their deal with him.

1. I agree with the extensions coming on Thomas and Sherman in the next few months.

When is Jared Allen going to stop being a pig and come get his ring? He’s already made over $75m in career earnings. Why pig out for more when there is a legacy at stake?

2. CDHawkFan says:

Pabs, he is too busy working on his 4th DUI. That’s right, he has 3 already, so anyone not wanting Browner or Thurmond because of their pot use/record/letting the team down, then throw your stones at J Allen as well and don’t wish him on your team.

3. While everyone thinks the OL is what will prevent a repeat, I think it will be not finding a third pass rusher. There was a fine line between the 2012 Seahawks and the 2013 Seahawks and we are time traveling back to 2012 without the close out pass rush.

4. HawkfaninMT says:

Melton on the way to visit Seattle? Yes please!

5. When was the last time Allen had one of those DUIs? It’s supposedly been years since he last drank because he knew he had a problem.

6. montanamike2 says:

I really like the potential of Kenneth Boatright and Mayo. We kept J.Johnson so the cupboard isn’t bare. My next priority is Hauschka, before last year i wanted him replaced, but last year his leg became magically stronger and more accurate, now he’s too important to lose.
    A good kicker can win or lose games.

7. Southendzone says:

I could see Sidney Rice having a great year with the team. Maybe not only is he over the ACL injury, but all this time off has helped his other knee injury that seemed to slow him last season.

The one he had the Swedish Platelet procedure on in early training camp last year.

That’s several if’s but the guy is only 27 years old. I’d be totally behind bringing SR back.

8. CDHawkFan says:

BK, I don’t mind if we sign him. My shot is more at the people who wanted nothing to do with Browner or Thurmond because of their pot issues, some wanted them kicked off the team right then and there. These are the same people willing to take Allen with open arms.

There were a lot of people on here judging BB and WT, but I haven’t seen anyone say we shouldn’t go after Allen for those same reasons (being an addict, letting teammates down, stupid, doing something against the rules/contract/CBA).

Its a bit like saying PC/JS are idoits/wrong for letting Tate go, but then saying we need to trust PC/JS because they know more than us when they decided to keep Bennett. Can’t have it both ways.

9. djbargelt says:

If PC & JS have not earned your trust by now, ( the best coach/GM tandem in the NFL, not to mention bring home Seattle’s 1st SB win ), then I guess they never will! Would you have them sign Tate and then lack the funds to keep Earl Thomas ? JS is as shrewd a future planner and thinker as there is in the NFL.

Of course we all have the right and the enjoyment here to express our ideas and thoughts. But for the few ignorant ones who attack PC & JS for being idiots, please remember this saying: “Never enter a battle of wits unarmed”,

10. banosser says:

Allen was suspended the first 2 games in ’07 for 2 ’06 DUIs.. nothing since then.. His first was in ’02… So nada for 8 yrs..

11. yankinta says:

No way,, our FO wants Thurmond back… but only at the right price…

I love Henry Melton as well. He’d be improvement over Clint McDonald/Red Bryant…. Henry was known as the Top Three, 3-Technique DT as of 2 years ago…he still has the talent and the drive..

I don’t want Browner or Thurmond to leave. I would love for Browner to accept a role as a backup player here for cheap, but that isn’t going to happen.
    Yes Browner and Thurmond,(did a knucklehead thing) and shot themselves in the foot but that doesn’t mean they are bad players or bad people.

I’m actually very happy that Maxwell was able to assert himself and seize his position and make a potential bad situation into a very good situation.

It’s players like Maxwell and Smith who step up when others go down that give me confidence in the FO finding replacements for the Tates, the Clems and the whoevers of the future that we lose.

Next man up!

Lol-

Boatright is one of my favorite NFL names.

Every time I go out on my small boat I can’t help but think of Boatright, Boatright, Boatright.

14. Sarcasticus says:

I was hoping FA would result in Bennett and Finley. I would really like to see Melton as well. I am curious about Taylor Price. He has signed and I still know next to nothing about him. Anyone know anything aboutthis guy?

15. princeaden says:

Someone on this blog was talking about Boatright being a monster. I wish I could remember who it was. Does anyone know about him?

16. Soggybuc says:

JS/PC have implicit trust. Its that moron Cable and his lack of drafting high picks that prevents the Hawks from winning.

17. Screensmoke says:

Prevent hawks from winning?- wrong – now that point is not debatable!

Boy, how did Todd miss the Sherman / Blount tweets?

Here’s a little info of pro days that have happened and upcoming.

19. HawkfaninMT says:

Sherman had a spat with D-Hall as well… Seems like people are picking fights with him just to get their names out there because they know he will respond.

I love the way he ended it all:

“Thanks for the motivation!”

20. Not sure who asked, but here is the draft profile for Taylor Price.

21. The Jacksonville Seahawks should have a good defense this year.

22. Jax is like our minor league team. I’m still waiting for them to send a player up here to the pros.

23. re: Browner and Thurmond.

I’d like to keep these guys too, but I can see Schneider accepting either of them back only at a bargain price. I don’t know how much the fact they were both knuckleheads plays into this or not, but Browner is 29 and with his physical style he might not have a long career. Meanwhile Thurmond has not been as tough and durable as other Seahawks DBs. Maxwell and Lane stepping up has made these guys expendable.

And don’t forget Tharold Simon. He was a very tough press CB at LSU. Reminds me of Maxwell. Simon should compete for playing time next year. http://youtu.be/xnMTYYDnNyg

24. Sounds like Price has a lot of potential upside if he can get the game figured out…faster than Tate and gets better separation…makes acrobatic catches. His play has never matched his talent…the same could be said of Tate during his first couple of years. Price is still young and may just surprise a few folks. Maybe all he needs is Lazik surgery and a few donuts to get him on track.

25. We need an update on McQuistan and his visits to the blog.

26. I think it’s funny that Harbaugh is going after Thurmond after accusing us of being lax on PED’s.

27. Posted by Bob Condotta

According to multiple reports, defensive tackle Henry Melton is visiting the Seahawks today. There is also a report that DT Vance Walker, recently of the Raiders, will visit Seattle Sunday.

The 27-year-old Melton, who played with Earl Thomas at Texas, is coming off a season cut to three games due to an ACL injury, which has made teams a little wary.

But he has had interest, having met with the Vikings earlier, with the Bears also reportedly interested in keeping him.

Also looks like he has a trip planned to Dallas after leaving Seattle

28. djbargelt says:

” Along with the ACL injury, Henry Melton also recently allegedly bit a bar owner”

Guess if we sign him, PC will need to keep him on a short leash.

29. The 26-year-old Walker started 15 games for the Raiders last season and also has visited Kansas City and Green Bay.

Seattle’s interest in Melton and Walker, though, shows the Seahawks are not necessarily content with what they have on the defgensive line, despite re-signing Tony McDaniel and Michael Bennett, so far their two major signings of the free agency period.

Seattle also brought in Jason Hatcher for a visit, but he instead signed a four-year, $27.5 million deal with the Redskins, an offer the Seahawks were not going to come close to matching.

Melton could be a much cheaper alternative, and as the linked NFL.com story above notes, in line with some of Seattle’s signings last year, when it signed McDaniel and Bennett to one-year “make good” contracts.

— Also this morning, according to the official NFLPlayers.com breakdown, the Seahawks have just over $16.1 million remaining in cap space;

30. chuck_easton says:

LVHawk,

Thurmond’s issue isn’t with the PED’s. He has trouble relaxing after a long day at work and has taken to self medication.

Issue with Thurmond isn’t the positive test for MJ. It’s that he’s now in Stage 3 and any further positive test is an automatic indefinite suspension.

You can’t give starter money to a guy with that risk and Thurmond sounds like he wants to start.

If some other team wants to take that chance, they are getting a very good CB but it is a high risk/high reward type of deal.

My bet is he doesn’t get anything near what he wants in a new contract. The concern is those tweets of his sounded a little like he’s PO’d with this organization and is looking to sign anywhere but here.

31. Chuck – guess I didn’t think that through! You’re right – although I still think it’s funny Harbaugh seems to think their organization is above all that.

On another note – I saw Darryl Tapp signed with Detroit for $920,000. Didn’t realize he was still around.

32. Well he has lost his “starting job” twice. Got it and got hurt – Sherman took over. Well we know how that went.

This season Got it after Browner injury – got suspended. Maxwell took over, and kept it when WT3 returned.

key for Walter – stay on the damn field if you want to keep your spot

33. doubledink says:

Arguing with Sherman about who is the best CB is like wrestling with a pig. You’re both gonna get dirty, but the pig likes it.

34. MadSweeney42 says:

CD, I don’t want Allen either, even though that goes against your rant. If I thought there was a real chance of him coming here, I’d have mentioned it. He’s going to get too much money from someone, I’d rather spend some of that money on a run stopper rather than a pass rusher.

I don’t want Steve Smith either. He doesn’t fit with our team’s attitude, he cheap shots his own teammates. He’s trash.

35. grizindabox24 says:

I think Pabs is right, the Hawks need to find a 3rd pass rushing end to have behind Bennett and Avril.

36. djbargelt says:

Steve Smith – Alone, in bad company.

37. Not behind them… To be on the field with them on obvious situations.

38. grizindabox24 says:

BobbyK, same diff, a 3rd pass rushing end

39. To quote Mr. Kruger from Kruger Industrial Smoothing: “I’m not too worried about it…”

Seahawks powers that be will turn over every rock and look in every nook and cranny to find players on the cheap that produce on the field. They’re pretty good at building a great defense and a decent offense but as always need a much better O-line from the get-go each season. Not wait for them to “gel” over 10 games. That frustrates me at times but what do I know?…

40. Southendzone says:

Steve Smith and Henry Melton. Smith can punch people while Melton is biting them. Tell me what other team has that kind of combination in the entire league!

41. Macabrevity says:

I’m surprised there’s any complaining at all from Hawk fans. We’re sitting on the Lombardi, and looking good as far as keeping our core goes. If we can lock up Sherm AND ET long term this off-season I will be ecstatic, but I’m sure we’re doing everything possible to keep the nucleus of what allows us to separate from other teams; that’s LoB baby!

42. I’d love to have Thurmond back at the right price. They still have a lot of talent without him too. Sherm, Maxwell, and Lane. And we’ll hopefully get to see Tharold Simon play this camp. Certainly could draft another CB too.

As BobbyK said in an earlier thread, it seems that the S and CB markets have certainly been set. Expect Sherm to get 10-12 mil a year depending on how much is guaranteed and ET to get around 10 mil a year.

I’ve fine with our WR situation as long as Harvin can stay mostly healthy. Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse is a pretty good threesome. Sounds like they may get Rice back as well. Could certainly be a contributor and they won’t be counting on big time production from him. I’d expect them, to draft a WR in the first 4 rounds as well.

Hopefully Duke or someone else with scheme knowledge here can comment, but it seems to me like McDaniel could certainly play the 5-tech in running situations. Has the length and weight. I’m glad they brought him back. I’d expect Hill to at least fill the McDonald role if healthy.

I’m okay with the o-line. I expect them to draft one fairly high. They could also go after either Penn or Joseph that were released by the Bucs if their price isn’t very high.

43. Melton would benefit from the way the Seahawks rotate the DL, since he is rehabbing. The WR’s also include the new CFL tall guy and probably a draftee or two. One super fast guy would be an interesting project. OL depth is always good.

44. Taylor Price was an Ohio Bobcat, and looks a little like Doug Baldwin. His career with the Pats was kinda short, three catches in one game and then waived towards the beginning of Dec. ’11. He was acquired by JAX in Dec. ’11 and was IR’d by them early in ’12. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Price