Morning Links: Free agency frenzy, Day 2

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 13, 2014 at 9:28 am with 38 Comments »
March 13, 2014 9:28 am

Good morning.

I have some UW football duties today, but we’ll be back soon.

Let’s update where we stand after Day 2 of free agency:

WR Golden Tate: Signed a five-year deal with Detroit. If somehow you missed it, you can read much more about that here.

DT Tony McDaniel: Re-signed with the Seahawks. The deal was reported at two years and a maximum of $6.3 million.

RT Breno Giacomini: Signed with the New York Jets.

CB Walter Thurmond: Visited Jacksonville. Yet to sign.

DT Clinton McDonald: Signed for four years and $12 million with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

LB O’Brien Schofield: Had been set to sign with the New York Giants before his physical raised questions. NJ.com says the deal is “dead” because of that.

Other Seahawks free agents:

CB Brandon Browner: Reportedly visiting the Patriots, who signed Darrelle Revis yesterday.

TE Kellen Davis: Don’t anticipate seeing him back following the Anthony McCoy signing.

K Steven Hauschka: Waiting to hear on Hauschka.

QB Tarvaris Jackson: Tweets from him last night indicate he will be back on a one-year deal.

S Chris Maragos: Signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

G Paul McQuistan: Continued defending himself in the comments of this blog.

FB Michael Robinson: No action, other than he has an appearance on the Young and the Restless today. Seriously.

Links:

> Already today, Chris Clemons reportedly signed with Jacksonville.

> The Eagles traded a fifth-round pick for Darren Sproles. He will be fun to watch in Chip Kelly’s offense.

> Danny O’Neil of 710 says Golden Tate’s departure shows losses are inevitable.

> Pro Football Talk says Revis will get $12 million this year, then $20 million or free agency the next. The second year is unlikely to happen, however.

> The Panthers officially cut WR Steve Smith this morning.

> For those who listen to sports talk radio, Mike Salk formerly of 710 has quit in Boston and may return to the Seattle market.

1. It looks like the S and CB market has been set.

2. JohnnyBGood says:

Some reason Sidney Rice isn’t on this list?

3. freedom_X says:

I don’t think Todd is tracking released players here, just players who contracts expired.

I wonder if GM’s really do listen to public feedback. The two most controversial contracts (Schofield and Roger Saffold to the Raiders) got scratched due to “failing physicals.” Weird.

4. I don’t read comments enough to get the McQuistan joke.

5. yakimahawk says:

Anyone know how much cap space we have available now including the cap increase? It has got to be fairly substantial. Which leads me to believe that the FO is going to use this money in the coming months to extend ET and sign Sherm…Hopefully!

6. doubledink says:

Oh good. Now I can yell, “Shut up Salk!” to the radio again. Yuk.

7. doubledink says:

pope, at least you knew it was a joke. Makes you a rung higher than some on here. :)

8. PugetHawk says:

Yeah I don’t get the McQuistan thing either…he’s not really defending himself on here is he?
    He is my least favorite Seahawk and hope he doesn’t re-sign but I certainly don’t feel he has anything to defend himself about. Nothing personal.

9. PugetHawk says:

Anyone think its possible Steve Smith would be a good replacement for Tate?

10. Singularitarian says:

lol. I think he’s a bad person and a terrible waste of money to this football team. Whenever I’m unfortunate enough to see him play I want to throw up, but nothing to defend himself about

11. RDPoulsbo says:

Schofield’s contract was nothing short of egregious and saw it much like overpaying for Tate. It’s really too bad he couldn’t cash in on that. The failed physical sounds suspicious to me though. I hadn’t heard of anything that said he was injured in any way. There might be a grievance filed over that one.

12. I don’t get the McQuistan joke either.

But speaking of McQuistan….. I would not be against the Seahawks signing him to a shorter cheaper contract to be our #6 or #7 o-lineman. His ability to play both OT and both OG spots make him a versatile back-up. And I mean back-up – don’t want him back as a starter.

13. grizindabox24 says:

Puget, don’t see Smith as a good addition.

yakima, just over $17M

14. grizindabox24 says:

blocis, no way I want McQ back.

15. RDPoulsbo says:

The problem with bringing McQ back for any amount of money means Cable WILL start him. It won’t matter how badly he’s outplayed, the asst. head coach has been blatantly throwing aside PC’s competition mantra since he’s been here. McQ can move on, then bring someone fresh in that Cable doesn’t have a mancrush with.

16. People like me have been bashing McQ–well, at least his performance–on this blog pretty regularly. He was terrible last year, and if he’s on the team next year it will be a wasted roster spot.

Not that he isnt a good guy; he gave us all he had, he’s just completely washed up.

So thats what Todd’s little joke was about. I thought it was funny.

17. doubledink says:

Last year McQ’s play dropped off significantly. Wish him well tho.

18. wazzulander says:

The McQ thing is pretty random, who’s been advocating for him on here? I do think getting a better backup LT is a major priority, when Okung went down everything on the line seemed to fall apart. Someone on a previous post mentioned signing Oher as a RT, that would be perfect imo since he should still have some ability to shift over and play LT as well, if needed.

19. PugetHawk says:

Thanks for clearing that up STTBM. McQuistan should be starting for the Whiners next year. That would make me happy.

20. The Byrd contract is in PFT rumormill.

21. The Patriots can franchise Revis next year and pay him about the same amount as they are this year…so, they’ll get two years, if they like. That will leave Revis with no contract at 31…so, this may have not been the best business move for him because it’s less likely he’ll get a long-term contract at that age.

22. Ray_Maines says:

I’d like to see Mike Salk paired up with Elise on KJR opposite of Brock and Danny. I love Salk and look forward to him being on local radio again.

23. SandpointHawk says:

Audible, Revis is already signed for two years even though this is a one year rent a corner deal…

24. grizindabox24 says:

Audible, except it is being reported that the Revis deal is 2 yrs, worth $20M in year 2.

25. chuck_easton says:

Audible,

Um, no. The Pats signed Revis to a two year contract. He gets 12 million this year. If he is on the team next year he gets 20 million.

In other words they just paid 12 million for one season. There is no way Revis will get that 20 million next year. He will be cut again and he will once again be looking for a new team to fleece out of another 12 million or so.

But now we know what we should be talking about for Sherman. A good long term deal in the 10-12 million range with a bunch guaranteed ought to do it.

Great that teams came to their senses and realized Revis wasn’t worth 16 million a year. Now Sherman doesn’t need to ask for that much either.

26. For Mickey Loomis to take Byrds 56 Million contract and only have a 3 Million Cap Hit for 2014 is a stroke of genius!

27. SaigonSun says:

It would be quite awesome if Mr. Allen decides to give RW something like 8% of the franchise and make him an owner/player. That cannot go against the cap, right? RW wants to be an pro team owner and that would save us a ton of cap space. Plus, lock RW for the rest of his quarterbacking days.
    Man, I’m so smart with Mr. Allan’s money….ain’t I ? LOLOLOLOL

28. grizindabox24 says:

Saigon, pretty sure you can not do that.

29. Byrd’s contract… JS has to take advantage now before this loophole is closed

30. freedom_X says:

Salk does a lot of fill-in work for ESPN. He’d have to give that up to join KJR.

31. grizindabox24 says:

Ray, pretty obvious since he is not going to KJR

32. Ray_Maines says:

My only real point was that I like MS and think Jerry Brewer is the weak link on ch95. I’m glad to have him back and don’t really care where he shows up.

33. banosser says:

My #2 hope would be that Saulk replace Jim Moore on KIRO…

#1 would be that KJR put Sports back on 102.9

34. doubledink says:

If he shows up between 1 & 2AM that would be fine with me.

35. Ha thanks for the McQ clear up. I was sorta hoping someone had opened a fake account and was commenting as McQuistan.

36. Great, am I understanding this corrent, Saulk is back on local radio. That dude just annoys the Sh.t out out of me. When he was paired up with Brock, yikes, never heard someone so aragant that whinned as much as him. Pass.