Tweet Link: Report: Ware has deal with Denver, pending physical

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 12, 2014 at 11:03 am with 37 Comments »
March 12, 2014 11:03 am

This takes away any distant dream of Ware joining the Seahawks, as Denver continues to make big moves in the offseason. The question for the Broncos is if they are getting one of the best pass rushers in the league — if not the best — or the guy who has been injured of late and watched his sack totals decline year-by-year.

1. Tate update from PFF

13.30: VISIT! Ian Rapoport has sources you know. And one of those sources (Michelle Beisner) tells us that the underrated Golden Tate is in the Lions facility right now. That would be some pick up for a team looking for a number two to Calvin Johnson. Tate isn’t going to stretch the field like Johnson are command the attention he does but he’s about as sure handed receiver as there is in the league, and he forced for missed tackles than any other receiver this year.

2. HawkFromDay1 says:

Wow that’s big dollars for Ware. Didn’t see him at $10M a year with his injuries/age. Is Ware that much better than Shaun Phillips?

Is something up with Von Miller that I missed?

3. Like a torn ACL?

4. Singularitarian says:

Lol you can have Ware. Have fun kicking yourselves when he sucks this year and he’s got another 10 mill gaurenteed

5. HawkFromDay1 says:

Yep that’s it – thanks Bobby

6. Was Ware ineffective last year because he was washed up or because he was miscast as a 4-3 Tampa 2 DE?

7. grizindabox24 says:

pabs, or just because he was in the dysfunction we all know as the Cowboys

8. HawkfaninMT says:

Wow… 10M per with 20 gtd, they can have him!

If the Hawks go the rest of FA without signing anyone I would still be comfy going into the season. I am sure that will not be the case, but the defense is not something I am going to stress about this offseason. If PCJS are ok letting guys go, there is a reason. If they do not sign anyone else, there is a reason.

With that being said, I would really like Allen or Peppers here on a 2 year/ 10M deal to be a situational rusher. Either would get close to double digit sacks in that role IMO

9. grizindabox24 says:

Rumor is that Denver dangled the same deal to Allen, but bailed when Ware was released

10. grizindabox24 says:

My gut tells me Allen is not an option. What he thinks he is worth and what the Hawks think he is worth will not be the same.

11. No thanks to Allen at $10 million a season! But I would give him some big bucks.

12. aelliott11 says:

Denver gave Ware MORE than he was making at Dallas. All this talk about Elway being a “great closer” – he just mortgaged Denver’s future on the next 2-3 years max. He didn’t “close” anything, he gave a guy a pay raise on his first team visit!

13. grizindabox24 says:

aelliott, Denver’s future is the next 2 years. Payton is the Broncos window.

14. Denver’s “future” is now. When Peyton is done, Denver is D-U-N!

15. Where is Denver getting all this money?

I’m sorry Clem had to go. Hope there’s a way for him to come back.

16. HawkfaninMT says:

Man I feel for Schoefield as much as you can for these millionaires!

He was jerked around by the FO down in AZ when they were overhauled. Comes to Seattle on a “prove it” deal, and proves it to the extent that he is a decent LB and situational rusher, along with a strong ST player.

Now he is being jerked around by the Giants. Just come back to Seattle OB! You won’t make as much money, but you will be treated with respect, paid a servicable amount, and have an annual shot at a SB Ring!

17. freedom_X says:

I don’t know how Denver ended up with this much money either. But I read they were $32 million under the cap, so they clearly have some space. Impressive they have that kind of money with Manning being paid what he is – I thought after the Super Bowl Denver was right at the edge of the cap max.

Ware doesn’t fit well as a 4-3 end. So he will probably be worth more as a 3-4 OLB rusher. But $10 million is way much. Apparently Denver being a Super Bowl favorite isn’t getting Elway many discounts. If they did offer Jared Allen that kind of money, then Seattle has no chance of picking him up.

It’s likely Seattle bottom-fishes again this year – sidestep the 1st wave of free agency and then pick up the best of what’s left at a reasonable rate.

18. HawkFanInAz says:

The thing Seattle has going as far as maybe signing Allen is, we are a SB winner, and very young. Allen MAY take a lesser pay day to get a really good chance at a ring. But what will Seattle offer him is the question? I’m going to guess 6 million.

Anyone else want to get the guessing game going? Why not, it’s hump day, let’s have some fun.

19. grizindabox24 says:

HawkFan, my guess…Allen is catching trout and shooting turkeys in September

20. grizindabox24 says:

And making the rounds on the rodeo circuit

21. Southendzone says:

I just heard about ObScho and the giants deal possibly falling thru. That guy can rush the passer, is he a legit Leo or no?

22. All the guys we figured would be cut have been cut. Our guys are very unemotional when the performance/pay ratio isn’t where they want it. Clem was very good in the playoffs though. If Allen still has as much left as BobbyK is saying (and I don’t doubt it – 11.5 sacks on a mediocre team is nothing to sneeze at) – then I think he’d be a great pick-up. A guy like that, high-motor, emotional player – would thrive in front of our home crowd, and on a team making a title run.

Still holding out some hope for GT too. Then we can draft O-line in the first round.

23. freedom_X says:

Allen would have taken the $10 million from Denver if he was interested in winning and getting to a Super Bowl. Denver is still a favorite to get there. He could have had his cake and eaten it too.

Allen’s not going to eat $4 million just to come to Seattle, at least not now. What he thinks 2 months from now is another story. I’m not sure who is going to be able to wave that much money at him other than a losing team like Oakland. (of course, somehow New Orleans was able to sign Byrd to a monster contract, though they don’t seem to have much cap space.)

24. Allen is dreaming if he thinks he’s gonna score anything near $10/ and 20 guaranteed… If what the local Minny sports guys think is true he’ll take a much more reasonable offer from a serious contender.. and you know PC/JS want him cuz they inquired about him last trade deadline..

I hope he wants to be a Seahawk.. but I hope he’s reasonable..

25. Allen will gets have about 14-16 sacks next year, IMO, if he’s a Seahawk.

26. ChrisHolmes says:

Bummer. Tate gone. That was the one I wanted. Ugh.

27. grizindabox24 says:

pdway, I think the Hawks draft O-Line with first pick no matter what Tate does. Only caveat would be someone sitting there that the Hawks figured would be long gone and too good to pass on.

28. grizindabox24 says:

was pretty sure Tate was gone when he did not sign prior to the FA period.

29. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

steve smith released

30. chuck_easton says:

Snappa,

There is little to no chance that Clemons would re-sign with Seattle.

He’s not a very happy guy under the best of circumstances. He held out in 2012 to force Seattle to give him a new contract when he still had a year remaining on the old.

I would assume that any efforts by the team to suggest he play for lesser money this year were met with some very unprintable comments from Clem on where JS and PC could put that suggestion.

31. doubledink says:

Tate’s not officially gone yet, but most likely.

32. chuck_easton says:

He’s officially gone now. Just signed for 5 years with Detroit.

33. ChrisHolmes says:

Arg.

Well, I hear this year’s draft is deep at WR. Hopefully we can pluck someone out of the lot.

Problem is, WR’s rarely make an impact their rookie year.

Guess it’s Percey, Baldwin and Kearse.

I wonder if this makes a Finley signing more likely?

34. Thanks tate, and I hope we find a punt returner. Tate gave me the feeling he could take it to the house every punt. We just had to many receivers that were alike in size and skills.Good luck to ya!!

GO HAWKS !!!
    in Pete I trust

35. Glossman says:

Funny that the Donks threw so much money at Ware and Talib. Now instead of an awful pass defense, they’ll have an average one, and there’s still no guarantee that they get back to the Super Bowl. No once can reasonably expect that offense to perform as well as it did last season, considering how badly they were exposed in the SB, as well as Manning being another year older.

36. I’m guessing they offer Allen $7 mil/yr. They gave Red’s salary to Bennett. Now, they cut Clem, and can pass Clem’s dough to Allen.
    Although I really like Clemons, ornery demeanor and all, you can’t really argue that he’s been as effective as Jared Allen. Look at their career numbers, look at last year, and it’s not even close. I am a little weary about the Seahawks signing older, white pass rushers that are past their prime. Kearney was good for a couple years, so was Wistrom, but they tanked real quick and bottomed out hard after their initial 1-2 yr run.

37. $20M guaranteed for Ware, though? Elway must be hitting his bong pretty hard right about now. When you pick up someone Jerry Jones released, and give him a pay raise, you have to think about that one again. Good ole Jerry is not known as one of the shrewd minds in the GM world.