Seahawks release defensive end Chris Clemons

Post by Darrin Beene / The News Tribune on March 12, 2014 at 10:32 am with 46 Comments »
March 12, 2014 11:13 am

The Seahawks continue to makeover their defensive line, releasing Chris Clemons on Wednesday, according to multiple sources.

The 32-year-old is the third defensive lineman – Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald are the others – to leave the team. Clemons’ loss does save salary cap room but takes away one of their top pass rushers the past four seasons. Clemons was set to make $7.5 million in base salary in 2014.

The veteran had 33.5 sacks from 2010 to 2012 but tore his ACL in a playoff game at Washington.  Clemons returned and recorded 4.5 sacks last season.

NFL.com first reported his release and it was confirmed by Clemons’ representatives, according to The Associated Press.

The free agent market, though, could bring help to the line. The Seahawks have been linked to Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher. Other intriguing players are aging but able pass rushers like Jared Allen and Julius Peppers.

(Update: DeMarcus Ware, the  former Dallas Cowboys defensive end, agreed to a three-year, $30 million with the Denver Broncos on Wednesday.)

Other in-house options exist, too. The Seahawks drafted defensive tackles Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams in 2013 and have Benson Mayowa, who played in two games in 2013. And there’s Greg Suggs, who played in 11 games in 2012, recording two sacks.

Bryant was released last week and signed with Jacksonville. McDonald, a free agent, signed with Tampa Bay on Tuesday.

1. Singularitarian says:

I always liked him ON the field…

2. FleaFlicker says:

Scruggs, Hill, Monstar….time to step up!

3. Singularitarian says:

Hopefully they have a plan

4. There was a fine line between the 2012 and 2013 Seahawks.

5. Jared Allen perhaps?

6. With any other FO I would worry about how they’re blowing up the DL….not with these guys.

Prediction:

1. Save tons of cap space
    2. Better position to retain players next year
    3. Possibly while getting younger on the DL
    4. Stronger inside and outside pass rush and stronger against the run this season.

My only two concerns are OL and to a lesser extent, WR…but defensively, this FO is really above reproach…I think the OL is the most glaring weakness on the team…and the unit with the most misses in the draft and FA by the FO guys. If we can get that nailed down, and improve our WR depth…look out!

7. HawkFanInAz says:

“Other intriguing players are aging but able pass rushers like Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware and Julius Peppers.”

Of these three the best chance is Allen. I read numerous times that Ware is ONLY visiting the Broncos, and we know Elway won’t let him leave until he signs. Peppers is the oldest among the three, and they haven’t expressed interest. Looks like Allen or Hatcher, I doubt they sign both.

GO HAWKS!!

8. HawkFanInAz says:

But wouldn’t it be nice? :)

9. Southendzone says:

Too bad, I think he’s set for a good season in 2014. From what we know about him, he’s pretty intense, I don’t think taking a pay cut is in this guy’s makeup just from a ego / stubborn perspective.

Clemons did hold out one season to get this contract a year early, so he should also understand the other side of being released a year early.

10. Clem is a darn good player. If we don’t sign Allen there will be a big hole to fill. I know Mr. Happy said that Irvin is going to play more Leo next year but I certainly don’t want to count on that.

11. grizindabox24 says:

Ware, 3Yrs/$30M, $20M gtd

Sign this guy to one year, draft a big WR in round one, and let Tate go.
    Problem solved!

13. If I could choose, I’d pick Hatcher.

With Avril and Bennett (starters) and Irvin and Mayowa (depth), getting better at DT is more important than at DE IMO.

14. I thought Quinn said Irvin will be a LB going forward and no more Leo.

15. ChrisHolmes says:

Wow, Ware got paid.

Not sure Denver spends that money in a different scenario. But with Peyton Manning there and maybe 2 more years left on the window of opportunity, I can see why they did it.

Don’t see how Ware helps Manning beat the Legion of Boom though :)

16. Hatcher has had more than 4.5 sacks once in his NFL career and is the same age as Allen. No way I’d prefer Hatcher. I have a good buddy who loves the Cowboys like I do the Hawks and he said that this past year was the only time Hatcher has really stood out and that he really doesn’t care if he’s resigned because he’s not great. Or even consistently good.

17. pabs….. yes, Quinn did say that. But that was before Clemons was released. If your starters were Avril and Bennett and one of them was injured / suspended, it wouldn’t be too much of a surprise to see Irvin step back into that role. In my view, Irvin is a better 3rd down rush end than every down OLB.

18. “Hello… this is John Schneider calling… can Jared Allen come out and play?”

19. Hey Bobby, I’m not comparing Hatcher to Allen – just suggesting our DT needs are greater than our DE needs. Hatcher is a Clinton McDonald replacement, not a Clemons replacement.

20. grizindabox24 says:

BobbyK, first, Hatcher is a DT so the comparison is not on par with Allen. Second, I don’t think Allen gets the money he is looking for, he will be hunting and fishing come September.

21. Like I said….. with Avril, Bennett, Irvin and Mayowa, I think we are fine for starters and depth at DE. Not sure who will play the 5 tech spot for Bryant, but we have a number of candidates there also.

22. I would bet that Irvin can become a much better all around DE than we’ve seen so far, and Quinn may indeed want to move him back to Leo. He was very inexperienced back in 2012. That said, he’s a very good cover OLB already.

23. Exactly grizindabox!

24. I’d like to see McDaniel at 5-tech. or perhaps J A R E D A L L E N ??

25. MoSeahawk12 says:

Broncos are spending like crazy trying to find a way to beat us. Agree with ChrisHolmes. Broncos will walk through the AFC West, but the Legion will be waiting.

26. Stevos – better OLB, Irvin or Smith?

IMO, Irvin is our 4th best linebacker, behind Wagner, Wright and Smith.

27. grizindabox24 says:

McDaniel front has been pretty quiet.

28. Stevos – I am with you on tMcDaniel at 5 tech – and I think thats what the Seahawks will do if he signs. I think that J. Williams and Scruggs also get a chance to compete at 5 tech.

29. grizindabox24 says:

Any idea who Cam will be throwing to in Carolina?

30. Of course I know Hatcher is a DT. The fact is that Hatcher has never been overly good until now and in a contract year.

31. Its all subjective (sort of), but PFF has Jason Hatcher as the #2 rated interior d-line available FA.

32. grizindabox24 says:

Bobby, but only using sack numbers for a DT to gauge good or bad, is going down the wrong path. Granted, Hatcher may not be a good DT, but we could say that for many DT’s if we are only using sack numbers.

33. grizindabox24 says:

Denver had the same deal on the table for Allen before Ware shook free.

34. HawkFanInAz says:

“The fact is that Hatcher has never been overly good until now and in a contract year.”

Yes, but wouldn’t you be excited to come to Seattle and play for a ring? Wouldn’t you think he’d play even harder? I’m up for both of them, if we can make it work out financially. No guarantee he would make it to the final roster anyway, he has to fight for it just like everyone else.

35. And in the same thought, he would be replacing Clinton McDonald who was himself a 4.5 sack DT in his contract year (vs. 11 sacks for Hatcher is his contract year).

36. grizindabox24 says:

More info, the Broncos made Allen wait and then turned to Ware. Left Allen at the alter.

37. HawkFanInAz says:

I find it hard to believe Allen would not have signed that contract if it was on the table. I seen this morning that he said he wants fair value for his position, and would be ok walking away from football if he couldn’t get it. If he is waiting for that kind of money to come his way again, good luck and happy retirement.

38. HawkFanInAz says:

Ok, makes sense now.

39. grizindabox24 says:

HawkFan, sounds like Denver held off after the offer and then bailed when Ware was released.

40. SandpointHawk says:

Hatcher played in a 4-3 last year for the first time. For some dude named Monte Kiffin…

41. HawkFanInAz says:

I’m not worried with what happens in free agency, it will work out in the end. I know that John and Pete are going to stick with what they do, and we’ll be just fine. I’m just so damn excited that we finally won a Superbowl. I started watching them the inauguration year at the age of 13, and 38 years later, which was the age I was when I moved to AZ, they finally did it. My son and I have been thrilled since February 2nd. I love our city (but I love the weather here better) and our Seahawks. Let’s go do it again.

GO HAWKS!!!

Neither Scruggs nor Hill are weak side DEs.

43. grizindabox24 says:

Duke, Hawks re-signed Bennett and released Clem…how is that possible?

44. chuck_easton says:

Clem’s release was only a matter of time. His 7.5M salary and the 9.5M cap hit were both too high for this coming year.

I’m sure efforts were made to re-structure or give a pay cut option to Clem. But as Todd and others have said, Clem isn’t exactly a ‘happy’ guy in the best of times. He did hold out of camp a few years back to force Seattle to up his pay with one year left on his then contract. I would assume any talk of Clem considering a pay cut was met with some very colourful and not printable language from Clem about where the team could put that suggestion.

Let’s see him try to get some other team to pay him 7.5M for this upcoming season.

45. Been expecting this and predicted it many times. Thought Red might have to go to bring Bennett back as well. Bennett sure looks like a bargain after the Lamarr Houston signing. Clem could still possibly come back for less and there are other options out there. Irvin is another option and the draft is yet to come. Can’t keep everyone.

Some of the best news from UFA that I haven’t seen discussed here, I usually don’t read all the comments anymore, is how the FA CB deals have panned out. That and Revis getting released due to his 16 mil salary. The top corners have gone for approx. 9.5 mil. That helps set the market for Sherm. Expect him to get 10-11 mil. Much better for the team than 15+.

46. Tate signs with the lions