Tweet link: Report: Johnson offered a second-round tender

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm with 56 Comments »
March 4, 2014 7:02 pm

The tender applied to Johnson means the Seahawks have right of first refusal to match any offer the player receives within five days of the offer being made. The second-round tender salary is $2.187 million for 2014, which is what Johnson would receive should he sign the Seahawks’ offer. There’s a possibility he could sign it then restructure for a lesser amount. If he signs with another team, the Seahawks will receive a second-round pick as compensation.

Johnson had hamstring problems in both legs last season, when he played just seven games. Johnson is good in special teams coverage and gives the Seahawks some depth at safety, which they don’t have much of. He was eventually placed on IR Dec. 11.

1. Singularitarian says:

a second round tender is the lowest tender you can put on an undrafted free agent. I would assume that there would be some interest in him from Gus Bradley, and this is Seattle’s way of saying “if you want him, you are gonna have to work out a sign and swap deal with us or not get him.” Safety depth is slim I assume Seattle likes him

2. Like I said the action has started!

3. HawkfaninMT says:

When do they need to apply the tenders by? Shouldn’t Baldwin have one by now?

4. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

I’m assuming Baldwin is close to a deal since there is no news of him being tendered. Either that or they are willing to let him walk, which seems unlikely.

5. JoeinKirkland says:

They have until the 11th to give Baldwin and JeanPierre their tenders.

6. JoeinKirkland says:

I would assume a 1st round tender for Baldwin (unless they sign him to a 3-4 year deal first) and a second round tender for Jean Pierre. What do you guys think?

7. montanamike2 says:

I would expect a 2nd rounder because a first rounder is too expensive if nobody else wants him.

8. CDHawkFan says:

I will admit I don’t have a clue why they would tender Jeron at all. People are saying they might be able to get a 4th or 5th for him in a trade after he signs the tender, but I haven’t seen a lot from him to think he is worth the trade bait and roster spot vs. a rookie and their rookie pay for 4 years. So I guess I am saying I would think a team (Seahawks included) would just use a 4 or 5th in this years draft and actually save some money instead of paying for the experience (not much).

Its seems like a gamble to pay him over 2 million if no one wants to trade. Is there something I am missing, can we cut him a day before the season and not get hit with the 2 million? I just don’t understand the commitment.

JJ for over 2 million or Maragos for 800k?

9. yankinta says:

JoeinKirkland,, I think it will be a 2nd round Tender for Baldwin as well. Not sure about Jean Pierre though.

I would gladly give up Baldwin for a 2nd round pick,, assuming we can sign Tate to not more than 5 mil a year…

10. montanamike2 says:

I think PC/JS might not see a backup comparable to him in this years draft. Other teams might get desperate and pony up that 2nd rounder, i won’t count on that but maybe?

11. surelyyoujest says:

I would keep Baldwin over Tate, although they both have their strengths. Baldwin runs better routes, and has better hands. Tate has better YAC potential though. I like them both, but keeping them both might not be financially prudent. JS will make the right call, I have no doubt.

12. JMSeaTown says:

Baldwin was the most reliable/clutch WR Russell had last year and he proved he can work on the outside as well, they will work out a 3-4yr deal to keep him.

13. Crazy! Now if they dont at least tender Baldwin at the first round level, he’s gonna be PISSED!

Jean-Pierre is a guy they really need to sign. That guy is a much better player than Sweezy, McQ, Carp and Breno put together. But Seattle’s moves on the line since Cable took over have often failed and seemed irrational. I still cant figure out why they kept playing guys that sucked at G when Lem has looked good there in the past. I guess they were afraid to get him hurt since he’s out only competent C behind Unger, who was dinged up.

If I were Johnson, I would sign that tender so fast JS’s head would spin…

14. montanamike2 says:

I would love to keep them both, but it trust the FO to do the best thing.

15. doubledink says:

Freedomx
    you asked in the previous thread if playing time would effect the draft pick received for the 2nd round tender on JJ. No it would not. The playing time has an effect on compensatory picks for free agent losses but not on tenders, I believe.

16. Baldwin does not have better hands than Tate. He dropped more passes on less targets.

Baldwin dropped three passes IN A ROW vs Indy in his first start at FL. THree IN A ROW!

And he had several games with ZERO catches, and several more with only one catch. Look, I love the guy, but he’s a limited athlete and a complementary player, not a future star. Tate has the potential to be a star, and likely would be on any other team with a competent qb.

I agree, he’s a much better route runner than Tate, but he often goes against the third best corner on the defense, while Tate is going against the D’s best corner; and Baldwin often cant get separation.

Not to mention Harvin’s best position is in the slot as well.

My biggest fear is losing Tate AND Baldwin and getting a mere second round pick. That would suck.

17. doubledink says:

STTBM, We could get as high as a 3rd compensatory for Tate as well if we don’t sign a same level FA from another team.

18. Doubledink–Seattle always seems to get screwed in compensatory pick awarding, and the formula is complicated. We cant be sure we’d get that high a pick for him, especially since his stats dont accurately reflect his worth and performance.

I have no problem with those that think we should keep Baldwin rather than Tate if we must choose one of them, and only one. The problem I have is when the reason given is that supposedly Baldwin has better hands than Tate, or is more clutch…because its just not true. Tate rarely drops a catchable ball, and often catches passes he shouldnt. He has less drops than Baldwin on many more targets. Seattle throws him the ball even when covered, and RW will throw a nearly uncatchable pass his way if no one is open. Some would call those drops, but those that track such stats generally dont. Tate has arguably the best hands in the NFL. Baldwin is pretty good, but as I said, those three drops in a row vs Indy were as many as Tate had all season. I think Tate had 2-3 drops all year.

19. Singularitarian says:

lol. all the tender means is that teams have to talk with Seattle to see if they will sign and trade. Seattle can always sign him and restructure or cut him. They are just making sure that Gus Bradley doesn’t get to inherit every backup from Seattle without ponying up some picks. It’s not like he can do his own scouting

20. Singularitarian says:

Tate does have grandpa hands. the only real drop from him I remember is a slant across the middle one time, and that drop on the onside VS NO. Statistically he has the best hands in the league. That’s not to say Baldwin isn’t clutch

21. If Johnson signs that tender–and he will–Seattle will have to pay him 2 million this year or trade or cut him. They arent going to be able to pay him less than that, he will have too much leverage.

This means either they fully intend to trade him, or he’s more valuable to the Seattle braintrust than we ever imagined.

22. Singularitarian says:

why don’t you think he would restructure?

23. Yes, Baldwin is clutch as well. But Baldwin’s plays are often predicated on Tate drawing double coverage and opening up the middle–taking his man and at least one safety deep. Baldwin needs Tate more than Tate needs Baldwin.

What Baldwin excels at is finding the opening in zone defenses, making sidleine tip-toe catches, and running precise routes. Tate excels at catching jump balls when covered, breaking tackles, and has the speed Baldwin lacks.

I dont think they count the onside kick as a drop for his reception stats, but drop it he did. I still think he was playing concussed in that game as well, he got rocked multiple times, just as in the last Rams game–yet he kept playing. That dropped slant was bad–and RW missed on three others that day. Tate also had another drop or two during the year, his most drops in a season since he entered the NFL–which goes to show how few passes he drops.

24. JoeinKirkland says:

STTBM, the tender contract is not guaranteed. The Hawks have a history of offering a player the tender and then either cutting or re-structuring in August. It happened last year with both Maragos and McDonald. Maragos accepted a lower contract than the tender and McDonald was cut and then resigned after the season started for the veteran minimum. I suspect the same thing happens to Johnson. Obviously they value him as a solid backup to Earl and Kam.

25. yankinta says:

Singularitarian,, yup yup.. But we can’t be paying over 2 Mil for Jean-Pierre. I’d probably tender him for original round.

As for compensatory picks, Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. There isn’t an actual formula/rule book for it.

Based on what I’ve seen from recent years,, if Tate signs for over 6-7 mil a year with decent money guaranteed and plays over 80% of the snaps,, then we’ll likely to get a 3rd round pick. If Bennett leaves, he’ll leave for big money and we’ll definitely get a 3rd round pick.

26. Singulitarian–Why would he agree to take less than 2 million this year when they tagged him with the tender? He wont want a long-term contract now, he’s coming up on FA and will get a better deal if he uses the market rather than take what Seattle offers.

You can bet his agent wont let him take less than that. Seattle just gave him a good deal of leverage. Like I said, it means either they are intent on trading him, or they really really like the kid and are determined to keep him at least one more year.

27. Singularitarian says:

I don’t see any other team paying him 2 mill, and I don’t see why he wouldn’t play for less for seattle if the interest isn’t there in him to play for 2 mill. From what I understand they can structure a deal where he can be cut free of charge if he doesn’t restructure. Not that Johnson would like being treated that way

28. Neither Maragos nor McDonald were tendered at the second round level. Seattle could threaten to cut or trade Johnson right before the season if he wont take less than the tender, but unless he flops in camp or preseason, he has no reason to do that. The fact that they are offering him this tender shows they fear losing him.

29. If Seattle wasnt worried about another team snatching him and paying him, they wouldnt have tendered him. At least, thats my opinion. They could just be trying to get a second round pick for him tough, thats a possibility.

Seattle isnt known for playing hardball with players or for playing games. They are straight up with players and agents. They tell them where they stand pretty quickly. I cant see them trying to run off other teams, then force Johnson to take a big pay cut from the tender.

30. yankinta says:

STTBM,, because Tenders are not guaranteed. They can still cut him when they make up the Final Roster for the Season…

It’s all about the competition, remember?? That’s why I love JS/PC FO… :)

31. yankinta–the injuries to Unger proved how valuable and hard to replace Jean-Pierre is to us. They could get the money to pay him by either cutting or reducing Breno’s ridiculous pay, and/or by cutting/reducing the pay of McQuistan. There would still be some leftover.

If they dont tender Lem, some other team will pay him 2 million or more. I guess we wait and see…

32. Maybe Im reading the tea leaves wrong, and Seattle wont actually pay Johnson the 2 million. Time will tell.

Maybe the FO has a trade in the works for ET?

34. RDPoulsbo says:

I think a 2nd round for Baldwin will be fine if they don’t come to a longer term deal. This is supposed to be a very deep WR group in the upcoming draft and the FA market is flooded as well. Other teams giving up good money and a 2nd round pick will be tough to do when they can just draft a rookie outright with that 2nd pick and hold the rights for a longer time at a cheaper contract.

JP will probably get the original round offer (undrafted) if he gets one at all. He might be better than Sweezy and Carp, but Cable sure has no intention of using him to fill either guard spot. So you have a backup center with limited upside. There aren’t going to be too many teams interested.

35. Singularitarian says:

I just think they are tired of all the guys that Carroll and Schneider scouted going to Jacksonville, and a second round tender is the lowest tender they could put on Johnson because he went undrafted, and you can tender a player to his original round, or a 1st or 2nd. Maybe they really do value a player who is good on special teams and a good backup at maybe both safety spots. You are right time will tell

36. Singularitarian says:

What do you guys think about Kenny Britt for cheap (like league min) or maybe even Nicks on a prove it contract? Britt certainly has the skills to be a stud wideout. Maybe Carroll could work some magic?

37. BobbyK thinks Britt is a future Hall of Famer so I think he’s onboard with that. LOL

38. yankinta says:

Singularitarian,, last October, I said we should let Britt compete for a spot next year,…. People strongly disagreed with me on this blog,, lol.

I’m still hoping that we give him a shot. He definitely has a skill set of a legit No.1 WR…. I would love it if he signs for a low end deal with incentives… :)

39. Ray_Maines says:

Britt seems to be the ultimate Deva/head case receiver though. That may or may not be a big deal here, but still needs to be considered.

40. doubledink says:

You won’t get Britt for league minimum, sorry.

41. MoSeahawk12 says:

Anyone go to this? Looked like a great time. I ordered the Bluray from Amazon for $22 a few weeks back. Should arrive this week.

42. Singularitarian says:

Why not league min? This is a what have you done for me lately league. Especially when you haven’t produced and come with red flags. Maybe a couple mill IF you make the team contract at best. Antonio bryant is a good comparison

43. yankinta says:

Singularitarian,, yup yup. :)

I seriously doubt he gets more than the minimum with incentives…. Especially this draft is deep with WR talent and there’s a ton of WR Free Agents this year. In fact I believe because of those reasons, I think Tate will get less than 5 mil and re-sign with us….

In other words, sorry doubledink, I disagree with you. :)

44. doubledink says:

yankinta, that’s ok. I just think with the level of talent he possesses that someone will pay him a couple of mil or therabouts. I recall Hasslebeck saying he had never played with a WR with Kenny’s level of talent, or to that affect. Maybe Britt has degraded since then. I doubt he’s dropped that far. We’ll see I guess.

45. Singularitarian says:

I have this feeling they pick up Britt and Jerrod Allen and maybe a Jeff Cumberlan or Scott Chandler or Garrett Graham and get rid of Clemmons/Miller

46. Singularitarian says:

he wound up on the bench all year doubledink

47. doubledink says:

Sing,
    Yeah, I just looked up his ranking on Scout.com. three star rating, 19th FA WR listed. Pretty far down the list. Looks like I am not current.

48. Singularitarian says:

but you’re right in that he does have the talent

49. Southendzone says:

#1 thing you will hear on this blog between January and March:

“OH yeah, we can get that guy for league minimum.”

If our bloggers set the salary cap, it would be according to this formula:

cap = league minimum * 53

50. I am a little surprised to see J.Johnson get tendered at the 2nd round level. I believe the main reasons are that
    > Johnson was undrafted, so the original round tender offers zero protection and
    > they don’t expect to retain Maragos and don’t won’t both back-up safeties to be new

I also wonder if they believe DeShawn Shead is ready to step into a back-up safety position.

51. yankinta says:

lol Southendzone,, your theory has flaws in it. We’re only talking about Britt getting the minimum. I don’t think I’ve said minimum for anyone else. Even we get back Rice and/or Red, it will definitely not be for the minimum…. like I said, your theory is flawed. :)

52. yankinta says:

Wow… is this true??

“Long-legged athletes generally struggle in this event but scouts would have liked faster times from potential first round wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin, a 6-foot-5, 240 monster who tied with Rutgers’ equally imposing Brandon Coleman (6-foot-6, 225) for the slowest time among all receivers tested at 7.33 seconds”

If that’s the case, maybe we can Coleman with our 4th or 5th round pick. Definitely not picking Kelvin with 32nd overrall… smh..

53. Southendzone says:

Not meaning to call you out Yank. It’s just a common theme around here and I find it amusing.

Rice, Red, Browner, if I had the time or motivation, I’m sure I could find multiple posts calling for the re-signing of all of them at the league minimum.

54. doubledink says:

South, it is a song I hear sung often.

55. The chronic undervaluing of players is pretty funny. It goes hand in hand with calling positions WR1 and WR2 and qb1 and qb2, along with talking about subbing your qb2 in a for a play here and there as if there wasnt the C/qb exchange to worry about etc….Its the Madden Generation Syndrome. Video Games and Fantasy Football have really wrecked the quality of arm-chair GM’s on the blogs, lol!

56. Singularitarian says:

Rice won’t get much more than a 2 mill contract, maybe for Seattle. Red could get a better contract, 3-4 mill maybe. When you diva out, get injured then benched and don’t produce for 2 years you don’t get paid. Britt makes 2 mill tops