Baldwin strongly against NFL’s consideration to penalize for use of N-word on field

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on March 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm with 15 Comments »
March 3, 2014 7:37 pm

Doug Baldwin joined a trio of other Seahawks on Monday night at the premiere of the “Super Bowl XLVIII Champions Seattle Seahawks” movie in downtown Seattle.

Much like his teammate Richard Sherman, Baldwin came out strongly against the NFL considering penalties for the use of the N-word on the field.

“I think it’s absurd,” Baldwin said. “I understand Roger Goodell and his safety council, or whoever they are, they’re trying to do this with good intentions. … Maybe. But, if you look at it, the only people who say the N-word on the football field are African-Americans. Whether whoever wants to agree with it or not, we have turned it kind of into a term of endearment.

“So, for the rule to specifically to hone in on one word, it’s kind of odd to me when there’s so many other things that are more offensive that have been said on the football field. That word, like you’ve heard many guys say, they’ve never heard it towards them in a disrespectful way (on the field). It’s more of a term of endearment. Never heard it from the opposite race, so the only people they are really going at are African-Americans.”

The Fritz Pollard Alliance expects and hopes the NFL’s competition committee will recommend the rule following its recent meetings. Reportedly under consideration is a 15-yard penalty for the first use of the word, followed by an ejection for a second infraction.

League owners vote on any rule change in late March.

“If you want to ban offensive language, let’s ban all offensive language,” Baldwin said. “Not one particular word that is only used by one particular group.”

1. sluggo42 says:

PC police at its best. Next thing you’ll have to say pretty please before a tackle…

“premiere of the “Super Bowl XLVIII Champions Seattle Seahawks” movie in downtown Seattle…”

Only curious, and bear in mind I recently had surgery and am not as focused as I would ordinarily be, but was this event “advertised” on the blog anywhere?

3. Todd Dybas says:

Hey, Duke.

No, it was not. The event was invite-only. I would have put it on here if it wasn’t anything more than a PR set up and DVD promotion. The public couldn’t go.

The DVD comes out Tuesday. Here’s info on that, which I will also put in tomorrow’s morning links.

“NFL Films and Cinedigm partner to give fans and football enthusiasts alike an inside look at the biggest moments from the Seahawks’ 2013 season. The 73-minute film features incredible cinematography and sound, player and coach wirings and DVD extras and is available for purchase starting Tuesday, March 4 online at Seahawks.com, at all official Seahawks Pro Shop locations as well as other retail locations. “Super Bowl XLVIII Champions Seattle Seahawks” will be offered in Standard Definition (SD) for $24.99 SRP, on Blu-Ray™ (BD) Hi Def for $34.93 SRP and exclusively via iTunes for $12.99 HD / $9.99 SD.”

– Todd

I will wait for it to show up on YouTube, Lol.

BTW- I totally agree with Baldwin and Sherman.

5. vichawkfan says:

$12.99 on iTunes eh. I’m a little choked I bought the blueray in a moment of weakness on Feb 3rd.

6. I wish all bad language was policed, kids go to the game, and watch it on tv. They wouldn’t need to throw flags, but often you can see clearly see coaches (Harbarf) and players cursing. They could easily hand out fines for such bad behavior.

7. Has anybody received their ‘Super Hawks’ book from Triumph books yet?

8. CDHawkFan says:

This is probably a reaction to what is/has happened in soccer in the UK/Europe.

Guys (soccer players) have been taken to court for calling opponents racial slurs. Its big news when it happens and with Richie I using the word, I am guessing the NFL wants to prove that it protects/has rules to protect its players in case the NFL is named in court.

9. That word needs to go away. Regardless of the intent of using it, African Americans should stop using it as well. The NFL rules may help in that regard; that is my hope.

The culture that uses such a word–promotes the use of it even–is not a positive thing. Just because its used a lot, doesnt make it right. That is a lame excuse.

But I dont see how the NFL can start penalizing one word, and one word only, and allow some of the atrocious trash talk that goes on. Its okay to use homophobic slurs, or other racial slurs, just not that one word? You can threaten a persons family, say sickening things, etc, and the NFL looks the other way?

To me, this is another in a long line of half-baked ideas that stem from Roger Goodell. The man is a clown, and all the money the NFL makes and pays him wont change that.

10. CDHawkFan says:

Again, this is just a jester/a sign that the league has rules against it. They don’t care about the word or words, they only care to show evidence that they did something about it or had a rule in place before crap hits the fan.

Its just like any other business that needs to show that it has their employees concerns in mind. I know I can’t use those words at work and if I did and if the company didn’t do anything about it, well then they would be promoting a hostile work environment and be liable if someone was offended.

Not a half baked idea, its ‘Running a Business 101′.

Football players usually police themselves, but wait until a white player calls a high profile black player the N word. It could get really ugly for the NFL.

You can’t expect players to police everything (look what happened in Miami this year), you need rules to protect business interests in the US. Right now there is a lawyer telling Goodell this is what needs to happen or else they will be exposed.

11. FleaFlicker says:

I pre-ordered the DVD. D’oh! The Blue Ray has some extras (like players mic’d up). Wish I’d gone Blue Ray…

12. thursday says:

I agree with him. And if they really think they need to enact a ban on language then yeah, they should include all “offensive” words. But I don’t think they should do that either.

13. Funny, white people trying to tell black people what they can’t say, I think it’s pretty obvious what that is.

14. jchawks08 says:

Yep, my copy of the Hawks Blu-Ray should be arriving soon. Preordered shortly after the SB. It does have tons of extras. Including Media Day coverage along with some of the other things previously mentioned above. Can’t wait!
    Oh and yea, the ‘N’ word should probably go away for good. In a perfect world.

15. Singularitarian says:

TruBlu, it’s actually all people who can’t use the word