Cooper’s contract expected to influence the market for Tate

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:34 pm with 62 Comments »
February 27, 2014 4:34 pm
Golden Tate is an unrestricted free agent. / AP photo
Golden Tate is an unrestricted free agent. / AP photo

According to Adam Schefter, wide receiver Riley Cooper’s new deal with the Philadelphia Eagles is for 5 years and $25 million, with $10 million guaranteed.

Over the Cap makes the smart point that Cooper’s deal is essentially for two years at $9 million total to be a No. 2 receiver. They also argue that the basically $6 million per (five years, almost $31 million) that Brian Hartline received last year from the Dolphins may be the ceiling for No. 2 receivers.

“For players such as Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders, who are free agents this year, the Cooper contract does little to give confidence that they can move past Hartline in terms of contract value in free agency. Despite the rumored increase in cap room he came towards the lower end of the WR2 marketplace. Odds are that’s a sign of how most teams will be viewing these players when free agency begins.”

However, Tate, who is an unrestricted free agent, and Cooper are certainly not an apple-to-apple comparison. The systems for each are completely different and Tate has a large added value as a punt returner. He’s also durable.

In addition, the Seahawks talked about Tate just beginning to develop into a complete receiver. As did Tate.

“I’ve learned that this game is more than just athleticism,” Tate told the TNT during the season. “It’s more than just going out there and making plays. You’ve got to, especially as a young guy, earn the trust. Believe it or not, the NFL is going to go on with or without you. And, they’ll forget about you quickly. So, it’s always a constant grind trying to prove yourself. Fortunately I was drafted so I had more chances than undrafted guys. But, you always have to keep grinding.

“When I envision myself playing the game, I always want to make someone who’s not a fan of football become a fan of football. My style of play, I’m an exciting player, you never know what you are going to get from me. I could run from one side of the field to the other. At any moment, I could dive into the end zone. I just like to have fun out there. I feel like that is one thing this league is learning about me. Unfortunately, the rules are way more strict than when I was growing up. Everything you do, you get fined, but, just being a playmaker, really.”

He led the Seahawks in receptions and receiving yards last season, plus tied for the team lead with five receiving touchdowns.

“I’ve done what I needed to do to set myself up, regardless if it is here or elsewhere,” Tate told me toward the end of the regular season.

1. I hope they keep him and am confident they won’t overpay to make it happen. I remember that initial draft and Tate was the player I wanted in the second round. I remember thinking, after the Whitehurst deal when they traded down in the round, that we wouldn’t get him and were thrilled when we took him. He’s the only player in recent history that I’ve rooted we take in one of the first two rounds and actually got.

2. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Man, we really need to keep Tate. Because of his toughness, he reminds me of Hines Ward. It would be a shame if we lost him.

3. I hear the Hines Ward comparison all the time but I don’t see it. Hines was more of a precise route runner and I don’t see that at all from Tate. Neither get consistent separation on deep routes although Tate runs them much more often that Ward did (and, yes, I remember getting burned by him in the Super Bowl but that wasn’t a common occurence for him throughout his career… Erict Pruitt would make Mike Williams look like a deep threat, too). Both are tough, no doubt, but I don’t see much for similarities to their games as actual WRs.

4. Agreed on him reminding due to the toughness aspect though.

5. Singularitarian says:

I’ll take Tate over Hartline or Cooper, but I think the contracts will be close. I’ve been thinking 4-6 mill per year. Maybe 4 years 21 mill

6. Singularitarian says:

I think Miami is a harder sell than Seattle

7. montanamike2 says:

I didn’t want to say anything, but Riley Cooper would be dead in our locker room. There’s a lot of guys that would definitely be in his face over some of the stuff he’s said. I prefer what Tate brings to our special teams, with him and Harvin , that’s a scary tandem to kick to.

8. Ray_Maines says:

Concerning the photo at the top of the page:

The NFL has a rule that players have to wear knee pads and GT has knee pads, but don’t you think they really should cover the, you know, knees?

When my kids were small I quickly learned to pick my battles. God forbid I should lose an argument with one of those little buggers.

So I innocently ask, WTF was the NFL thinking when they made the knee pad rule if they didn’t intend to enforce it properly?

What does the NFL really care if GT goes on IR for a broken knee cap that could have been avoided? Now they just look stupid because GT is good with the letter of the law but still isn’t protecting his knee.

9. Tate’s real value is what he can do after the catch. He can (and does) make some incredibly athletic catches but it is what he does in terms of YAC that sets him apart from the “average” #2 receiver type.

The only thing that can slow Tate down is Tate himself. If he continues to mature as a person and stays humble he will continue to get better and better and better.

10. $4m a year for Tate is good value. Every million over that is bad news.

11. For his first two years in the league I was not a Tate fan. Felt that his immaturity was going to cost us and that his production was below where it needed to be. Then he laid that block on on Sean Lee and my view of him started to change.

In my eyes he has matured over the years to the point where he will not hurt his team’s chances to win a game. I was impressed with his Year End Press Conference.

I admittedly might under value him still. Pabs number on Tate is probably pretty close, maybe $4.5m/yr. He’s good, yet to be great but no doubt that he is a Champion.

12. Screensmoke says:

I cracked my knee cap once in a game and it was sore as hell- I was out for a month- cracked knee cap is a very rare injury in football and when it does happen it’s certainly not from improper knee pads. I understand where you are coming from but knee pads will prevent( help)contusions but not really help preventing fractured caps- not real y a concern at all – now dislocated knee cap that’s a completely different story- that happens much more frequently and after awhile u get used to the pain .

13. Golden Tates blocks on Sean Lee, and Dwight Lowery are I think why people compare him to Hines Ward. Both could be brutal(Hines hit on River), but with the new rules Tate can’t go as far.

Also both are probably some of the most disliked WR’s outside both teams fans.

14. Singularitarian says:

bored, looking around the internet at combine stuff. I don’t usually get into 40 times and all that but I watched some Dri Archer highlights and that kid is crazy fast. From what I can tell he also put up the highest average yards per carry in college football history in the 2012 season with 159 carries for 1429 yards at 9.0 ypc. Also caught for over 500 yards and had 20 total touchdowns plus another 3 in the return game. He averaged over 10 yards per total touch. He sprained his ankle badly in 2013 and didn’t touch the ball much, but still averaged 7.8 yards a pop rushing
    His return skills are crazy good. He lifted 225 20 times at 5’8 175, which just shows that he is not completely fragile. Anyone think if Tate doesn’t come back there is a chance they’d take a flyer on the kid in the 4th as a Leon Washington type role? Not a whole lot of options at returner if Tate’s gone outside the often injured Percy.

15. Singularitarian says:

oh he also averaged 40 yards a kick return over his final 2 years

16. Singularitarian says:

He can’t return punts so the Tate thing is null

17. Hines Ward was disliked for being a dirty player.

18. This Tarvaris Jackson on the verge of resigning thing is huge folks. It means the Seahawks won’t be one injury away from the season going up in flames.

19. both comparison guys are way over paid for production IMO

20. Southendzone says:

Tate is gonna get more than 4M/year from someone. The references above say that the bar is set for #2 receivers, I agree. Tate is going to argue that he’s a #1 on this team. Realistically I view him as a 1.5 he’s a solid #2 with great punt returning and toughness on a team that doesn’t feature the passing game.

He’s quite a bit better than Cooper, so to suggest he take $4m, less than cooper’s deal is unrealistic.

21. tealskin says:

No way Golden doesn’t get a better offer than 4 mil. from somebody. Think that he’d be rightfully insulted if that was the Hawks top bid. I think he’s only going to get better, especially with Harvin here. Probably worth it to feel some pain elsewhere in order to keep him.

22. CDN_C_Hawk says:

I have heard, Tate is looking at numbers around 6 mil. Might be plausible on the open market, but can’t see the Hawks going that high. Maybe someone can think like a GM…and when it comes to duration of contracts, will teams view how many free agents they will have say…in 2018, and try off set re-signings today to avoid having a bunch hitting free agency in one year? If that’s the case,and we get a home team discount, would a contract for Tate around 6 yrs @ 32mil help cap casualties in 2020 ?

23. Macabrevity says:

Sorry to go way off topic, just curious if anyone read that Dave Boling article about discontent in SF being good for us. I’m not on FB so can’t respond to the article itself, but I don’t think I ever read anything on TNT that I disagree with more.

First there was the claim that since Team A (us) basically split with team B (SF) and crushed team C (Den) then we should infer that Team B would crush Team C. It just doesn’t work that way. SF doesn’t have our secondary, and might have actually struggled vs Den. We’ll never know, but the math just isn’t that easy in the NFL.

Then to think FO problems help us at all, honestly I’m more worried about the up and coming Cards and the fully loaded (just a QB short) St.L Rams than I am the 2nd best team in the NFC West.

Anyway, back on topic, would love to keep Tate around, but again I feel so strongly about keeping RW and LoB that we can’t allow anything to jeopardize that. Our passing game is an after-thought for the way this team works. Harvin’s game doesn’t really rely on getting him in one-on-one match-ups, and our O-Line is definitely more pressing than our (imo) deep WR corps. That said, I will miss Tate’s toughness as his biggest asset, and anyone who hits DB’s like Tate does is doing our overall team concept serious justice. I hope we keep him, just don’t want it to cost us a key cog on D. If it’s between Tate and Baldy, that’s a tough one, guess I’d take Tate, but reluctantly.

24. BeerDrinkingFool says:

Didn’t Tate also say he’d be wiling to give a “home town discount” to stay in Seattle? Give him a few hundred grand more than Cooper, and shake on it. Done and done.

25. For the Seahawks the open market is irrelevant to what the Seahawks can pay Tate. They have a ton of far more important players that need to be paid.

More importantly WR2-4 is one of the more fungible spots on the team. Paying anymore than $4m a year would be foolish given the 15-18 more important starting positions.

26. montanamike2 says:

Tate elevated himself during the season, I think more in the 5 million to 5.5 million a year for 6 years with a little more in guarantees. I think he’s worth it to THIS team more so than another. I think he overvalued himself greatly until he saw the eye popping talent of Harvin and is now a little bit more realistic. He also knows that he can spend his entire career with Wilson and co. with a chance to win a lot of rings. The extra money will come with added endorsements, I’m not saying not to keep drafting more playmakers and a big #2 WR, just that Tate is a proven durable commodity. The Saints showed why we need someone needs to be there because they targeted Harvin every time he was on the field, with all the head hunting we need some kind of insurance. I reserve the right to change my mind in the upcoming years.

27. My guess is 3-4 year deal about 4.5 M per year, 1.5 M per year on signing bonus and 1 M bonus in second and third year if he produce well.

28. montanamike2 says:

When Tate got better in year 3, you couldn’t help but notice that our team got so much more exciting,(along with the LOB). with Cap increases surely we can pony up another million a year for a playmaker cant we?

29. yankinta says:

pabuwal,, I agree with you. I would not pay 5 Mill a year for Tate…. But I think he’s gonna get offers of 6-7 Mil a year, now that the cap has been increased to 133 mil.

I say let him go and if he plays over 90% of snaps for his new team, we’ll get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him next year…. There’s no way we can afford him at 6-7 mil a year, we got Earl, Sher, RW (next year), and hopefully, we’ll also extend Okung, Maxwell and resign Thurm.. too.

30. chuck_easton says:

Tate already has sent out indications that he thinks he’s worth more than the Cooper contract.

Tate doesn’t view himself as a #2. He wants more. Nothing less than 6 million a year and probably more.

Sorry to see you go, Tater. Good luck on your next team. We’ll send you pictures of our next Lombardi.

31. montanamike2 says:

If we did trade him later on due to a surplus, it would be easy and affordable to other teams. I can’t say there’s no merit to arguments against resigning him, only that I think he’ll be snatched up by a rival team and have a huge chip against us. If we own the contract, we can send him to the AFC.

32. CDHawkFan says:

Tate as a WR this year (including play-offs, so 19 games) averaged; 3.8 receptions, 50.5 yards and .26 TD per game. 3 games with only 1 catch.

I have got to believe you can find someone far cheaper (than $5-6 m per year) to get you 4 catches and 50 yards per game. And no, Tate doesn’t get double teamed or schemed for, he is less than 25% of the passing game, but possibly 5% of the team cap.

33. Tate only shows up playing the Rams so I wouldn’t worry about him hurting the Seahawks on the field.

34. I do like Tate but he’s not even close to being a #1 WR especially with his limited ability to consistently create separation on routes. He’s a good, solid all-around player (blocking, punt returns, etc. in addition to being a pass catcher). That’s it. No shame in that though. I’d like to have him back but not at the expense of a contract more than he’s worth. I’m most worried about extending guys like Sherm and ET than I am with a role playing WR.

35. TallyHawk says:

I agree with pabuwal on this topic. He seems to be the only one thinking logically. The Hawks just can’t afford to pay him. There are more important players to get resigned.

36. Sarcasticus says:

I would prefer the front office take the money and pay Bennett. I like Tate (although I think he may be the dumbest player in the NFL), but I don’t think he offers anything that cannot be replaced. I wouldn’t mind a starting 3 of Angry Doug, Chop Chop, and Harvin.

37. yankinta says:

TallyHawk,, ummm thanks. lol

38. I just get the feeling Tate can break a punt every time he goes back to receive one. I would hate to see him go, but I do think we could get by without him. Trust in Pete.

I for one, have never thought Tate would resign here. I see a team like Carolina giving him what he wants, if they end up dumping Steve Smith. Regardless, Tate’s production is fairly easily replaced. Here’s hoping his claim to be willing to give Seattle a hometown discount is true, but I don’t think so.

40. I think there is zero chance that Tate gets WR #1 money from ANY team. I have no issues with him getting Riley Cooper or Brian Hartline type of money.

Did someone say Tarvaris is close to resigning with Seattle? That would be terrific if true.

No, he won’t get anything approaching #1 money, but his versatility returning kicks, something neitherCooper nor Hartline do, will likely get him more money than either, from someone.

42. tealskin says:

Don’t think he’s dumb, just very immature. He’s been kind of a slow learner. To me his PR skills and yac add a lot to value. Think he is at times very electric and far from just another guy. Then there is the durability. Far from complete but I think there is a lot of upside.

43. Yes, he is a terrific PR. So in value, maybe he isn’t worth WR #1 money, but maybe is WR #2+.

Interesting note here that mentions Tate and Baldwin…..

44. yankinta says:

As I been saying from day one. We should sign the cheaper guy of the two and we’ll get a draft pick back from losing Tate or Balwin… either via compensatory pick or from 2nd round Tender…

45. doubledink says:

I’m guessing that Doug Baldwin could perform punt return duties rather well.

46. Southendzone says:

Yank that is a good point, it doesn’t seem prudent to drop RW’s 2 favorite targets and go into next season with that much uncertainty at the position. Even though they are different guys, you probably don’t have the $ to load the WR position up to nearly a $20M cap hit with 11 or so on Percy, estimated 5.5M on Tate, and say… $3M on DB.

It’s a shame because by the end of the year I really loved the way this group was performing.

47. yankinta says:

Southendzone,, I don’t think RW has any favorite targets. He has a new/differnt favorite receiver every games. One thing he doesn’t have a tall/big target that can get open outside the numbers against press man coverage.

Remember that Arizona killed us with their press man coverage in that game we lost…. where RW had his first and only clunker of his NFL career.

48. Southendzone says:

Not that there are favorite targets, but there’s still something to be said for him having a feeling for what those guys are going to do and they both understand the offsense.

I just think it would disrupt things to start from scratch with Kearse being the only experienced WR returning (not counting Harvin cause he barely played)

49. tealskin says:

Can they count on Percy’s durability? If he’s out, that leaves ADB and Kearse, both with injury history. Think Tate is worth the insurance $.

50. yankinta says:

I agree with you but I think that part of the game is overrated. It’s true that it’d hurt for the first few games if we lose both but I don’t it will have much impact if we lose only one. Plus RW will have mini camp and training camp, not to mention the summer throwing session in California by themselves… :)

I’d rather we draft big WR like Coleman in the 2nd round if he’s still there,, and pick up the Tackle from Tennessee with 32nd overall pick.

Of course, if we can trade down and pick up more picks, it’d even be better!

51. yankinta says:

tealskin,, I’m predicting a full healthy season by PH… I think the naysayers will quiet down after this year,,regarding PH.

I’m predicting a huge year by PH,, but then I was only one of the very few that loved this trade from day one… :)

52. doubledink says:

Southendzone, nice malapropism. lol

53. doubledink says:

Yank, just when I venture to read you for a day I count the multiple “from day one” mentions. You can bring some good stuff but give it a rest man. Oh well, zzzzz

54. Southendzone says:

Thanks for making me google a word doubledink. Goddamn intellectuals!

Go hawks!

55. doubledink says:

I’m a welder. but I read.

56. I want Sherman resigned. If he is smart, he will take less than Revis and come to a long term deal. More than a little less, too. If the Seahawks are smart, they will lock up one of their franchise players. Sherman will make peanuts next year and then can and probably will get franchised so the Hawks have leverage. They should be able to come to an agreement that will benefit both because they can sign a stud corner long term and Sherman wins because he will get his financial security. If it came to it I would rather franchise Thomas next year with safety earning less than corner. Plus, Thomas has made millions already, while Sherman has been the poster child of being underpaid.

57. Southendzone says:

Interesting take BK, I think the consensus is that in terms of what they do, ET is a better safety than Sherm is a CB. Also that ET is more of the key cog in the overall defensive scheme than Sherman.

Not that I have a huge grasp of x&o’s, but what I have read is that to run the single safety, that guy has to be special. Having awesome CB’s is a plus too.

And we know ET is special because in the SoundFX, he told us that.

“WE SPECIAL FOR A REASON!” oh crap now I’m going to have to go watch that show for the 8th time.

58. doubledink says:

Fully agree BobbyK. Sherm is harder to replace just by the nature of the position. That is no disrespect to Earl.

The 4 highest paid positions are typically what represent the recognized cornerstones of any championship; Franchise QB, Shutdown CB, Diva WR, and Elite Pass Rusher. We have arguably 3 of the 4 with the fourth done by committee. How fortunate are we?

59. freedom_X says:

After learning that Revis’ contract has no guaranteed money, I think it’s a reasonable hope that Seattle can sign Sherman for a significantly lower per-year average than Revis. Unless Sherman also wants to forgo guaranteed money, which would make such a large salary more workable (if Sherman falls off there would be no cap hit in future years.)

60. yankinta says:

BobbyK,, I like how you think but that is unlikely. Our FO is unlike other FO in the NFL. We are a player friendly FO and we reward our own players.

If we do that to Earl, then that’s the same as saying screw you, especially after paying PH and Sherm… I seriously doubt that they would send this type of message to their own player, let alone their best Defensive player… but this is only my opinion but I’m pretty confident about it. :)