Tweet link: As expected, Browner says he’ll sue

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:58 am with 93 Comments »
February 26, 2014 11:37 am

This is really confirmation of what we reported a few months ago. Brandon Browner’s camp anticipated suing the NFL all along if Browner was suspended.

As you’ll see in the story, Browner’s agent tends to speak with a lot of bombast, “I’m not afraid to fight City Hall,” Peter Schaffer tells them.

He’s continuing to fight the suspension in the court of public opinion in addition to fighting the league.

1. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Good for Browner. The way his suspension went down was bull crap. I hope he’s successful and back in a Seahawks uniform (at the league minimum, of course) come training camp.

2. Both sides deserve blame but Browner is clearly a moron by doing something he knows is prohibited under league rules.

I don’t care what your take is on smoking weed. That’s not the point. The point is that if I had a job that said I could be fired for taking a drink of water prior to leaving the building… I wouldn’t take a drink of water before leaving the stupid building if I knew my job could eventually be on the line because of it (especially if I had prior warnings about not taking a drink of water before I left).

I know Browner thought he had another “warning” or whatever coming, but what kind of fool that already has a few strikes against him is going to chance it like that when you’re on a great team that could get to the Super Bowl AND when you’re set to become an UFA and collect your only real contract of significant dollars in the league?

I think it takes a special kind of “stoopid” to be Browner in this scenario. We’re not speaking to whether he’s a good guy – I’m talking about what a dipstick he was for chancing it.

3. FleaFlicker says:

I’m guessing Roger’s lawyers are better paid than Brandon’s. They’ll drag this out for a year+ and Brandon will still be at home watching football next season regardless if he every wins the suit.

Agree with Bobby. Terrible situation, but it was 100% avoidable.

4. Southendzone says:

How can you root agAinst David fighting Goliath? Especially when David likes to get high?

5. FleaFlicker says:

“even wins”

damn iPhone

Wonder what the damages might be? Maybe 5,000 bags of Doritos and an unlimited “burritos for life” card at Taco Bell?

6. CDHawkFan says:

Remember, there have been multiple former players who have said greater than 50% of the players smoke dope. It helps with pain, keeps them in n Friday night, doesn’t leave a hang-over, and for many it’s a very common thing to see around where they grew up.

7. DreadHawks says:

We were better with Maxwell

8. Southendzone says:

Its not Maxwell OR Browner, they can both be on the team.

kinda dumb to write off a proven seahawk corner.

9. kurtthekraut says:

Didn’t he sort of write the team off?? Browner was a big physical corner but his coverage wasn’t spectacular. I would have him about 4 or 5 down the depth chart.

10. You can’t keep all these CBs, even if Browner wasn’t suspended. He wasn’t going to be back with the Seahawks due to the emergence of Maxwell.

11. Southendzone says:

Thurmond may not return due to salary reasons. So minus Thurm and plus Browner still puts you 1 short of where they were before Browner’s suspension.

12. Will Browner get a super ring?

13. TallyHawk says:

Browner had become a liability IMO. His coverage wasn’t close to that of maxwell and he was an automatic first down penalty waiting to happen. As much as I appreciate what he meant to the start of the LOB he’s not good enough anymore IMO. As for the team being short at corner I have no doubt they will find a suitable replacement.

14. Imagine you lose your job after some time you find another, and the first employer then wants to drug test you.That strike should not of went against him.He did know about it though and came up dirty again.

15. Agree Browner was very foolish to do what he did – regardless of whatever issues the administration of the testing process had.

My crystal ball says zero chance he or Thurmond are back with the hawks.

16. He may have worked for a different employer (Broncos-Seahawks) but he was working for the same company (NFL).

It’s not like that one failed test in Denver was his only strike against him either. He kept doing it and getting caught.

The NFL should have notified him that his first strike in Denver was still active (reason he’s going to sue the league and has a good case to be successful), but he shouldn’t have been too stoopid as to keep doing what he knew full well was against the rules.

17. No I think he went to Canada and missed a drug test,he was out of the NFL and he claims he was not notified.

18. banosser says:

BobbyK… Please show me where he ‘kept doing it and getting caught’

Thanks

19. He was also waived by the Broncos in 2006.

20. jawpeace says:

Some say stupid. I say an addict. To compromise I will put them together… A stupid addict.

21. jawpeace says:

In all seriousness, as someone who has never smoked anything, I think he should be reinstated. My primary reason, a former employer should not have the right to test you and punish you for missing a test. Besides not even being employed by the NFL he was not even in the country. Those two factors would have me rule in his favor.

22. My two cents: Browner is a fool for smoking weed, knowing he was on the brink of suspension.

That said, the rules that elevated him two steps with one fell swoop are ridiculous. How can an employer who fires an employee–as Browner was fired/cut/whatever when he left the league after his rookie year and wasnt asked back–expect that EX-employee to continue a drug testing program the FORMER employer instituted when said EX-employee is working another job OUT OF THE COUNTRY for FIVE YEARS?!

That pushes logic to the limit, never mind the potential illegality of the rules.

Goodell has gone too far, and I for one think Browner should, and WILL, win his case and Goodells power will be lessened, and his idiotic and unsuccessful drug policy will be scrapped.

But Browner will never play in the NFL again.

And hey, to Georgia and the others who insisted Maxwell would be better than Browner; Mea Culpa. He wasnt at first, but it sure didnt take him long. I still think Browner’s looming suspension affected his play this year, he was so much better last year before his suspension then, but it could be he lost a step. Anyhow, Crow tastes wonderful in this instance; Maxwell is a bad man, and a fine replacement. Too bad we’re gonna lose him in another year….

SB REPEAT, Baby!

23. Browner also thinks a stupid addict should of been offered treatment.

24. chuck_easton says:

bannoser,

Browner was suspended for 4 games under the substance abuse policy while with Denver in his rookie year.

Unlike PED’s, you don’t get a suspension for your first positive test.

Either a positive test or some admission of a problem gets a player put into Stage 1…no suspension, nobody knows about it. It involves substance abuse counseling and allows for more random testing than the once a year or so that is normal.

If while in Stage 1 a player either has another positive test OR fails to complete the drug treatment program they can be elevated to stage 2.

Stage 2 has the penalty of a fine, 4 game suspension, or a combination.

So the fact that Browner received his first 4 game suspension during his rookie season means that in his first year in the league he tested positive for drug use on at least two occasions.

Does that answer your question to BobbyK about him having continuing to use in spite of multiple infractions?

25. chuck_easton says:

And Browner already got his ‘break’ for the issue of non testing while with the Stampeders.

The league had an indefinite suspension on him before he signed with Seattle. That somehow got missed. Rather than enforce the suspension the league simply allowed him to continue to play but warned him he was in Stage 3.

So, Browner KNEW he was in Stage 3 (up to 10 random tests per month and the punishment of an indefinite suspension for ANY positive test) his entire time with Seattle.

He STILL chose to roll the dice and lost. Now he is complaining after the fact. That is why he was selfish and stupid.

As BobbyK said, if a term of my employment contract said I couldn’t eat chocolate or drink coffee or I’d be suspended, you had better believe I wouldn’t allow myself to partake of my two addictions.

Browner CHOSE to use KNOWING he’d be suspended indefinitely if he was caught.

How is he the victim again?

26. He knew it and he has dumb and he will never be a Seahawk but I think he wins this http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-browner-aims-pot-policy-213719222–nfl.html and he should.

27. FleaFlicker says:

Chuck, good point. If Stage 3 mandates that many tests, there is a very low likelihood that Browner didn’t know he was in Stage 3.

Now, if Browner was not subject to the usual Stage 3 steps/process, I think there is a decent complaint.

Either way, the NFL’s lawyers are well paid (I’m assuming) and this will be a tough case to win regardless of its merits.

I read in the article that Todd linked that Browner is seeking injunctive (i.e. immediate) relief in the form of being able to hit free agency and to play while the lawsuit is in process. If Browner’s lawyers can hit a bullseye on that one, at least he’ll be able to make some $$ with the limited time left for a CB who turns 30 this preseason.

28. Southendzone says:

He’s the victim of being escalated to stage 3 while he wasn’t a member of the league, and notifications to submit to further drug testing by his FORMER employer were delivered to an address he no longer resided at.

Without the improper escalation to stage 3, he could have gone back to phase ZERO due to 2 years of clean tests after joining the Hawks, and his positive test near the end of this season would have just pushed him to phase 1, where as you say “Nobody knows about it”.

29. CDHawkFan says:

If those former players are correct, then you guys are calling over half the NFL stupid and/or addicts. Maybe half of the current Hawks SB team. Are you sure you’re right?

I’ve smoked pot, it’s now legal. If you are stupid and an addict if you smoke, then why is it now legal? Its no more stupid than the guy who picked up a 6 pack on his way home. Sure it’s against the rules, but not for long. Was Lynch a stupid addict for driving under the influence?

Guess I shouldn’t worry about an opinion from someone that hasn’t even tried it. Like taking advice about going to war from a 15 year old, no thanks, I’ll ask a vet.

30. Southendzone says:

The “Stupid addict” line you all are using is coincidentally part of his lawsuit.

From article I found on SeattlePI

“The lawsuit will be accompanied by an administrative complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission claiming that the NFL’s overall approach to players who chronically test positive for marijuana violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. Browner is expected to argue that the NFL at a minimum views players who repeatedly violate the policy as being addicted to marijuana, and that the league’s handling of those players violates the duty to provide a reasonable accommodation.”

31. The point isnt that Browner made a terribly risky and stupid decision, its that his case wasnt handled fairly or logically by the league. The point is, there is no way an employer should be able to compel and EX employee to take drug tests while they are working for FIVE YEARS in another country. PERIOD. Not only that, they DAMNED sure should have to send his notification letters of this idiot policy by CERTIFIED mail…instead of to an ex-girlfriends house, as supposedly happened.

If the league cant manage to properly notify Browner of their asinine–and likely illegal–drug testing policy, how in THE HELL can they be trusted to decide who deserves punishment, what that punishment will be, etc…how can they be trusted to decide who needs treatment?!

And they damned sure should have been required to guide Browner through the process. If he’s an addict, he needs their help, not simply punishment. But they arent about rehab, they are about kicking you butt if you arent smart enough to get away with your bad behavior.

Again, doesnt matter to me that Browner is an idiot, the punishment doesnt fit the crime, the League’s punishment is not fair and impartial in every case–especially not in this one–and they should have no legal right to compel ex employees to take drug tests, nor to elevate former employees to another level for being unemployed by the league for five years in another country…

IMO it all turned out good for the Seahawks and the LOB.
    I think Browner not only intimidated opponents, he also intimidated his teammates.
    I remember Sherman saying that Browner wouldn’t let him cover his side.

Stupid pride on Browners part.

Now that he is out of the picture Sherm & Thomas have stepped up as leaders of the LOB.

33. chuck_easton says:

No matter what side of the blame game you may fall, the fact is that this isn’t a Seattle Seahawks issue any longer.

Even if Browner’s lawyer is successful in getting some judge to grant a stay of enforcement pending trial all that does is allow Browner to enter FA.

Seattle has moved on. If Browner were available tomorrow he wouldn’t be re-signed to this team.

So, I don’t care how this goes.

He’ll going be a former Seahawk playing for another team or he will be a former Seahawk that is suspended for the 2014 season.

But in either scenario he’s still a former Seahawk.

34. banosser says:

Again… please show me where Browner was suspended while a Bronco?? He broke his arm and was placed on IR then cut.. Here’s a link that states he was never suspended by nor tested positive while a Bronco

I can find no links that state he was suspended as a Bronco

Now perhaps he did test positive once while in Denver.. I believe that is the case… then MISSED multiple test while in Canada (which counted as positives).. then tested + again this last yr…

That’s 2 positive tests = indefinite suspension

BTW- Thurmond is on a short chain. If he gets signed back.

36. He doesn’t deserve an indefinite suspension while POS like Cox continues to play. He’s just became redundant with Sherman and a liability against fast or shifty WR. Still he’d be an asset to any secondary in the NFC, and the best cb on SF. He wil find work with as many crappy secondarys out there.

37. Southendzone says:

Browner is one of the founding members of the legion of boom. He’s really the 1st guy people started talking about as the “Big Corners” of Seattle.

Maxwell was awesome this season, but he never beat BB for a starting job except for injury/suspension.

To state that the Hawks would never re-sign him if he was a FA is a total stretch. It’s almost like STTB saying all year that the backups are better than the starters along the O-Line, but somehow, miraculously, the coaches saw it differently.

It’s almost like the professionals paid to guide & coach the team know things that we don’t..

Is it likely that BB ever comes back? No, is it out of the question? no way.

38. Browner was not suspended. He tested positive once for substance abuse (weed) and was cut before the first game of the season his rookie year.

39. This crap about him intimidating his teammates is a) BS and b) stupid. Sherm and the rest of the DB’s–especially ET–and BB are friends, havent you read their comments about him? They stay in touch with him and really care about him…they back him up and talk about him a lot….doesnt sound like Sherm’s afraid of BB. Thats an idiotic supposition to make.

Pride is not necessarily the same thing as intimidation. BB had faith in his own abilities, and wanted to keep his side of the field; In sure Sherm feels the same about his side. I doubt ET or Thurmond are intimidated by that.

What youre doing Georgia is making shpit up about a player its obvious you have an irrational dislike for, just as you had an irrational love of Maxwell long before dude could play. Yes, Maxwell became a fine player after just a few games this year–with only one or two hiccup games–which is remarkable. But he hadnt shown he was ready before that, at least not on gameday. It was all potential and hope. This is his third year, right? Took him a lot longer than even Tate, who only played his position two years in college.

It would still be great to have BB on the cheap. The guy was a freaking steal even this year with his lowered performance. Now he’s gone, but unlike Chuck–who appears to lose any interest or good feeling for a player once they leave the Hawks–I still root for the guy and wish him well.

He made a foolish mistake more than once, but is being punished unfairly and disproportionately compared to other players. The NFL’s policy is inconsistent and flawed to the point of total failure.

40. bannoser, chuck explained the pattern as I would have (but better). Thanks.

Switching gears:

Personally, I get a kick out of the people who say weed isn’t a big deal. It’s a gateway to throwing your life away for a majority of people, if you ask me. I work in a school and see the pattern kids follow when they start making these types of choices. They become losers and as much as we try to steer them back to future success – they end up throwing their lives away. It’s frustrating when you try to help but they make bad choices. Most kids who have left school as related to drugs (which may have started off as “only” weed) end up very much in trouble with their lives and certainly don’t end up, on average, as significant contributors to society. That’s just what I have observed in 14 years of teaching.

Let me be clear, not everyone who does weed is a “loser.” I know of my fair share of people who are definitely good/great citizens who can handle what they do in their homes in moderation. Just because that’s not my thing, doesn’t mean I think I’m better than they are. I don’t and I know I am not.

I’m just saying, on average, that these type of decisions people make usually “benefit” them for the worse.

I saw a stat somewhere in the last month where weed related vehicle deaths in the state of Washington has doubled since it became legal. I’m sure there’s no corelation.

If I thought weed was good for me, I’d do it. Since most of my observations in life with respect to drugs have been negative, including teaching high schoolers, I’ve stayed away and always will.

All of my Mom’s five brothers/sisters were into drugs to a degree when I grew up and my Mom was the only one to amount to anything and she stayed away from it. I saw them do it but my Mom always sheltered me to a degree so it’s not like I’ve been in a world of Leave it to Beaver where only “other” people have done it. One of my uncles is a big time weed guy and has spent time in jail for peddling it and it has got him nowhere in life (including ever having a real job, or any pride in his life).

If you want to do it, I’m okay with that. I’m not God to judge anyone. I just hate it when people say it’s no big deal and kids hear it and, therefore, think it’s not a big deal when there are a billion studies (and common sense) out there about that type of use and where it leads too many people down a path they may eventually regret going down.

I’m just so sick and tired of the “it’s good for you” crowd.

41. Also, if weed wasn’t a big deal both of my cousins would still be alive. Their Dad got stoned late into the night one evening and the kids fended for themselves that morning (Mom had to work). The house started on fire and both kids died. The little boy, two years younger than me at the time, was found holding his little sister in his arms that morning under the kitchen table when the fire fighters finally found their burned bodies. By the time their Dad woke up from his haze (literally) the house was smokey and he ran out the door and the fire department arrived. He tried to get back in but it was too late. The house was basically gone. I hope that high was worth it to him. But as plenty say, it’s not a big deal.

42. Maxwell played well but he got to start when the Hawks pass rush was really started getting going. Who knows how much more he would have been exposed if our pass D wasn’t forcing bad throws. I really don’t think Maxwell is a major upgrade over Lane, or Thurmond at outside CB, but both those guys make better nickel CB so you keep Maxwell outside.

43. Bobbyk–Your example is no different than alcohol, prescription drugs, or anything else. Misused, it is a problem, I agree. The vast majority of those who smoke weed dont constantly get stoned out of their gourds and do stupid things continually, just as those who imbibe arent always getting wasted and allowing their kids to burn the house down.

Youre blaming the substance and throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Saying using Marijuana in moderation is the same as what your uncle did is like saying everyone who has ever had a drink is an alcoholic, that alcohol should be outlawed because one drink is the same as getting wasted.

Marijuana is like any other drug–it has its costs and side affects. There is no free lunch in the universe. But its not the devil you’ve made it out to be. The problem was with your uncle, who if it wasnt weed would have found something else to numb himself into incapacity with.

Brandon Browner smoking out several times in his career was stupid. He’s going to pay for it–far more than is fair. And the NFL is not fairly accurately or evenly distributing discipline.

44. The kids you see follow marijuana use up with worse things have problems far deeper than simply using marijuana. Many of them start with alcohol, yet no one calls alcohol a gateway drug.

Many politicians and other true believers insist marijuana is a gateway drug, which is false. If anything is a gateway drug for children these days, its sugar, caffeine, and television. Its a specious argument.

Marijuana is far from a magic cure-all, but more and more, studies are proving that is has many, many beneficial uses. Yet there is a cost, and both the effects and the costs vary too much to come out nicely in trials like Science wants.

I have family and friends who use it legally for a variety of reasons, and its a damn sight better than the horribly addicting, multiple-severe side-affects having, poisonous pain drugs made by Big Pharma that many doctors would rather prescribe.

Just as it provokes an emotional response in you when you hear someone take marijuana too lightly, so too does it provoke a strong response in me when people like you who are blindly ignorant talk crap about something I know benefits people I care deeply; people who suffer from terrifying physical and mental ailments that nothing else has helped as much despite having greater costs.

I also have met and know a lot of folks who used marijuana in high school or college for recreation. Some still use it, though most only rarely. And you know what? Compared to the number of people I know who never used it, the percentage of those who turned out to be “losers” to use your term, is lower among those who have used it.

Again, rather than place blame on the broken family members who use marijuana as a crutch and an excuse, you simply blame the substance. Thats really against the attitude you show in your comments–what you hold yourself to, and what you expect from others–which is personal accountability.

Many people who refuse to learn to get through life’s hardships without a crutch follow the same pattern–using more and more of thier chosen substance, and then moving on to more powerful substances. Again, that doesnt make marijuana a gateway drug any more than caffeine or sugar or alcohol. Take it back far enough, you can probably call mothers milk a gateway drug.

Just as you choose not to use it, I choose not to use it as well. My reasons are that I dont need it–My drugs of choice are caffeine and alcohol, of which I try to use moderately most of the time. And I dont have any medical or mental or emotional problems that I feel would balance out on the plus side of cost/benefit analysis for using it. Plus, in my state its illegal and my employer can test for it as well, so even if I wanted to I wouldnt; thats a part of being a responsible adult with family to take care of.

But, if I had the same problems as some of my friends and family, I would, my employer be damned.

Look, I know Im not going to change your mind. Your story is heartbreaking, and it sucks to hear that people close to you have had such a terrible impact on your life; youre a good guy, and even if you werent I would feel bad.

I just feel youre being too hard on BB and some of the commenters. Thanks for reading.

45. vichawkfan says:

STTBM ^^ what u said.

On a different note, anyone waiting for their NFL films DVD on the Hawks season like me? Apparently a launch party for it next week so another week or two after that. Hope it’s bad ass so I can start cutting down my PVR recording space. Just watching the SB again, about thet 7th time.

46. banosser says:

BobbyK…

Number 1- No one is condoning the use of marijuana by minors.. Number 2- You know that alcohol is a drug also right?

As for Chuck explaining ‘the pattern’ he is incorrect as far as I can find.. He states that Browner tested positive for weed while with Denver and was suspended by the league for 4 games.. this is a falsehood as I have found two links that state he was never busted nor suspended while with Denver, and found zero that support what Chuck was stating here in his explanation… I will stand corrected if links are supplied as I initially requested

link 1- as I posted above when asked for proof of the Denver suspension

link 2- as per John Clayton confirmed by Jason La Canfora
    which states that Browner never tested pos while in Denver but had questions in his past (while at OSU I’d guess).. so he came INTO the league in the program possibly for no other reason than for rehab
    excerpt:
    “Per Clayton’s source, when Browner signed with Denver as an undrafted rookie in 2005, he came in with some substance-abuse questions and was placed in the program for testing and/or treatment.

The Broncos put Browner on injured reserve with an arm injury in August 2005 and then released him after training camp in 2006.”

So according to 2 reputable sources Browner never tested positive in Denver…

So if this is true then Browner has really only tested positive ONCE in his NFL career.. when he tested positive ‘for a small amount’ (which in reality could have been due to secondary exposure) this last yr.

And he’s now indefinitely suspended!? One positive test

I hope he sues the NFL for $15M on top of getting his name and reputation cleared

47. princeaden says:

BobbyK, that analogy is wayyyyy over the to say your Uncle didn’t wake up in time to save his kids because of a pot hangover. For God’s sake I hope he doesn’t read this blog. I haven’t touched the stuff in years. But, in my opinion, pot is far less destructive than any drug, including alcohol. I was just thinking last night as I fell asleep, would I wake up in time to save my kids if there was a fire and smoke detectors failed. I still don’t know and hope to never know. I’m sorry for your Cousins death and while tragic to blame that on your Uncle is judgmental at best.

48. sluggo42 says:

I’m with ya bobby to a degree. I think a lot of people have an “addict gene”, which leads them to worse things but pot is the starter. I don’t like young people using it. I wasted my youth with it, but ended up fine. But some of my friends weren’t so lucky and they paid the heavy price.
    It’s funny how some compare it to alchohol and say it’s not so bad. For those able to be light moderate users, fine, but not all people can control it so easily. Booze has destroyed it’s share of people too…
    Would you want your brain surgeon to smoke a blunt prior to operating on your brain? Me either.

49. Sherman never beat out Thurmond for a job until Thurmond got hurt again and Sherm got the chance to play . . . . .

50. vichawkfan says:

Everyone’s brain is wired for addiction. It’s the ability to use your pre frontal cortex that determines consequence and long term cause and effect is what separates the people that can stop after 2 beers and those that drink until they pass out. Same with drugs. Instant gratification. Few beers and suddenly lighting a smoke when it’s not something you normally do seems perfectly reasonable. Having a few beers at a high school party then suddenly having a toke doesn’t seem like such a bad thing. Going to a nightclub with ur buds and drinking a few gin and tonics and suddenly driving home doesn’t seem like such a bad idea. Booze is the gateway folks…..most just don’t see harm since it’s bought and sold anywhere and glorified. I don’t smoke weed or drink anymore. Have done both plenty in the past. Weed isn’t where we need to focus on for our kids future….it’s alcohol. If they don’t drink, the chances Of themtoking up is drastically reduced. Pre frontal cortex is still highly functional.

51. jawpeace says:

BobbyK thanks for sharing. Drugs and alcohol often affect many more than just the user. It amazes me how people miss many of your points. Like if your uncle had not been selfish smoking him self into a stupor, then he would have taken care of your cousins feeding them. Which means they would not be trying to cook some food to help their hunger pains. HELLO PEOPLE the state of the uncle running out of the house is IRRELEVANT. What happened prior is the key. He cared more about getting stoned than his kids. Is this something the uncle planned for his life. No but he became a stupid addict.

Cdhawkfan a little defensive there aren’t we. Where to begin… One does not need to experience something first hand to see the negative results that occur from it. Plenty of people show the first hand effects of doing something. To learn from others mistakes and positive experiences all one needs in a decent IQ. Your analogy is lame. Gee I have never had the experience of driving drunk. Therefore I can’t have a credible opinion about it. I don’t need to drive drunk to see how idiotic and selfish those that do that are.

52. CDHawkFan says:

Jaw, your words were ‘stupid addict’. When you call someone that (very judgmental), I feel you open yourself up to anything in terms of comments because to me its unfair. You are quick to label him without understanding what caused all of this (what stage he was in, why he smoked it, his environment growing up around pot, the fact that half of his teammates smoke it (but aren’t in the same stage as him, etc). Just think its pretty stupid to blast off on someone when you don’t consider the other side which to me you weren’t by calling him an addict which unless you are his doctor, is incorrect. You say incorrect bs, then expect to be called out and held accountable.

Addict; to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance.

How do you know this about BB? How can you call him an addict? You realize he was being checked all the time right?

Pretty stupid example with the driving drunk, everyone knows its wrong. These guys keep their NFL jobs due to talent/skill, not IQ so don’t expect them to make the best decisions off the field. You make it sound like BB killed someone, or did something bad while high, he is no Leonard Little. He failed a test, didn’t hurt anyone so where are the negative effects you talk of in this case? Before you say its letting his teammates down, remember half of them smoke dope. He lost a lot of money, but I bet it gets it all back due to the suit. Bet pot is legal in the NFL in the next 10-20 years as well.

I don’t agree with BB, he shouldn’t have put himself in this position. He made a bad mistake, notice that bad mistake is not nearly as judgmental as calling him stupid and an addict. I have very little invested in BB, as Chuck says, he is a former Seahawk. Just pisses me off when people blast players when they know 1% of the story. You can have an opinion, but to label someone as stupid and an addict comes off as very ignorant (hence the 15 year old vs someone who has been there).

I find it uncomfortable when an adult admits they have never tried pot, almost as much as meeting a 29 year old virgin. None of my friends were negatively effected by pot, I haven’t done it in over 10 years and nor do any of my friends. Its a teens and twenties thing for the most part, which goes away for most of us.

53. Im interested, now that state of Washington legalise weed, do people smoke it in bars and public places. How much chance is there for secondary exposure?

54. CDHawkFan says:

Marasim,

You can’t even smoke cigarettes indoors in public places in Washington, so pot must be out. As far as secondhand down at a show at Seattle Center…I have no idea, but I think you would have to have a lot, lot of ”secondhand” smoke to pop on a test. There is usually a acceptable/minimum level in drug tests, its not a failed test if they see a trace of it. I think they can tell a bit about the persons use (heavy/light/daily/monthly user/etc) from the test results. That was the way it was explained to me.

55. Screensmoke says:

And the off season begins- Both side have good points in this debate- but unfortabetley your IQ level has nothing to do with addiction and decisions on how addicts/ alcoholic ( same thing)think- I wish it was that easy- jaw peace thanks for sharing about your own IQ grade- because with that simple minded thinking it’s obviously pretty dam low:-)- have a good day gentleman !

56. seahawkfan97 says:

Sorry for your/your families loss, the only thing worse than losing one child (as you might recall I know) is losing two!!
    vichawkfan,
    “Everyone’s brain is wired for addiction. It’s the ability to use your pre frontal cortex that determines consequence and long term cause and effect is what separates the people that can stop after 2 beers and those that drink until they pass out. Same with drugs.” Is there some new studies out there that i’m not privy too? and if you are correct, it is free will? The long standing debate… What you are saying still happens in the brain, so there is no choice right? Prefrontal cortex is what is still developing ah never’mind…..some of us can quit and some cant..I cannot, my littlest bro cannot and my middle bro can..I have been quit for 16 years and cannot stop once I start again..
    I thought it was proven it was a disease. Addiction that is…Is BB an addict? Maybe!
    I am a cdl driver now and one co-worker (seasonal/concrete delivery)just got back from down south. He was drawn for a UA while gone and peed dirty for weed.. He smoked for 30 days straight and quit 31 days before he got back! He is now suspended and has to pee clean B 4 he can come to work among other things..He made a valiant effort to make the right choices..I know it is illegal in most states, not my point Weed stays in the system for a very long time depending on many factors..google it. If he would have got all spun-out on meth, having sex with men, women and animals he would have peed clean after 7-9 days max!Do these players smoke on their off-time? Probably, some get caught some smoke during work time and gamble…If I could smoke it for chronic back/leg pain I would but I cannot due to my CDl and the fact that it is illegal in Oregon and I would not be sober any longer
    go hawks

57. chuck_easton says:

bannoser,

There are numerous reports and even Browner states that he did test positive with Denver. He was facing a 4 game suspension when Denver cut him.

Had they kept him on the roster he would have been suspended for the first four games of that season.

Had he immediately signed with another NFL team after being cut by Denver he would have had to server his 4 game suspension.

There are many articles out there that state Browner was ‘facing a 4 game suspension while with Denver’.

You are using a technicality because he was cut rather than serving the suspension.

So, I am correct.

58. chuck_easton says:

bannoser,

The reason you ‘can’t find any information’ about Browner’s substance abuse issues in Denver I fully explained earlier.

The first the public hears about a player and substance abuse is when they are suspended. There are strict confidentiality rules in the wording of the league policy that forbid naming ANY player that is in the Stages program.

So for there to be any word out that Browner was ‘facing a 4 game suspension’ with Denver, he had already been in the program for some time. He had enough violations to advance from counseling to testing to suspension (and any appeal) before it could be made public.

You want facts. And say I don’t know what I was talking about? OK.

Browner was cut by Denver on July 27, 2006. He spent his entire rookie season of 2005 on IR for a Broken Arm. While on IR he had enough issues with Substance abuse that he was put into the Stages program.

At the start of the 2006 season Browner had advanced so far into the Stages program that the league stated he would be suspended for the first four games of the 2007 season. Rather than carry a rookie who had never played for them on their roster Denver cut him.

Browner didn’t sign with any other NFL team because it was known any team that signed him would immediately lose him for the first 4 games. He chose to come to Canada and sign with Calgary.

59. RDPoulsbo says:

I’ve always said he has zero chance of winning this case and nothing I’ve seen since has changed my opinion.

What some people are missing is sure, he was in the CFL for 5 years, but he was still in the NFL free agent pool. At the very least, he was getting team workouts if not being training camp fodder. He may not have been getting game checks, but he was getting some workout checks in that time. The fact he kept trying out meant he was staying in that free agent pool, so still under the same rules any other NFL player must follow.

That and getting tested 4 times a month should have been a clue that he was in stage 3.

60. ChrisHolmes says:

I understand the arguments that “it was avoidable”, but there are other factors at work here.

And I like (and strongly agree with) what PFT wrote in the column:

“Here’s a potential accommodation the NFL may want to consider: Quit worrying about what guys do on their own time unless and until they get arrested for something. When it comes to marijuana, that wouldn’t happen at all in Colorado or Washington.”

61. HawkFromDay1 says:

Replacements:

Tharold Simon – can’t wait to see this dude on the field.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste – I called him out about a month ago. His combine numbers were goofy. Someone will take him really high thinking he’s the next Sherm. He should send 15% of his signing bonus to Sherman.

62. Southendzone says:

Riley Cooper signed for 5 years 25M today. How does this set the bar for a potential Golden Tate Deal Here’s a quick comparison that ignores special teams contributions: Of course the blog will destroy my table formatting, hope it’s somewhat readable. To me, this suggests Tate is worth more than Cooper.

………. Cooper Tate
    age……. 26… 25
    Draft round… 5… 2
    2012 Catch… 23… 45
    2012 yd ……..248… 688
    2013 catch… 47 64
    2013 yd ……..835… 898

What’s amazing to me is for months it was all this talk of who was better Browner or Thurmond?
    And low and behold this miracle drug takes them both out of the picture for awhile and gives Maxwell the break he needed. Maxwell becomes a huge part of the Seahawks success down the stretch and the rest is history.
    Imagine if Browner was playing instead of Maxwell in the NFC championship game and Browner was doped up, just one stupid pass interference penalty or a blown coverage could have kept us out of the SuperBowl.

Imo the Browner and Thurmond suspensions couldn’t have worked out better for this team.
    The Seahawks have found a good solid player for years, (in Maxwell) and don’t have to count on a aging, and inconsistent cover corner in Browner.
    They also don’t have to count on an injury prone Thurmond.

And more importantly hopefully this will send a message to the younger players.
    Don’t be a knuckle head or you might lose your starting position and you might lose your job too. And you certainly will lose a good amount of money.

Check out some Michael, Turbin and Ware Highlight’s-

64. Georgia–Maxwell is a FA after next season. We wont have any way to keep him; he’s going to leave for a bigmoney contract.

65. I wouldnt want my surgeon on anything–not even caffeine. Certainly not alcohol or marijuana or prescription painkillers.

Alcohol ABUSE IS a big deal. (Especially in the state I live in; its nearly chronic, a sick cultural thing–but it still shouldnt be banned entirely) So is the abuse of ANY drug that has may have serious consequences–alcohol, marijuana, pills, harder drugs…. Had BB been busted like LeRoy Hill, passed out in his car from marijuana and alcohol in the middle of an intersection, THEN I would be howling that Dude needs help and some serious punishment.

But the way the league treated his case and mishandled stretches the limits of fairness past the breaking point.

Marijuana is not generally addictive; until recently, the studies could never show that it was. Newer, stronger strains have shown to be addictive in tests, but again, much of that can likely be explained by folks having addictive personalities; the same kind of folks who will become addicted to many substances, from Soda to hard drugs. Its not the marijuana that makes them an addict, its their own weakness. Those who become addicted need to stop; who knows if BB is in that group? The NFL certainly doesnt care.

The whole thing–testing for marijuana in the NFL is stupid, and its done because the majority of the owners are ignorant Old, fat white guys. They know what they know, even if its BS, and they wont change. So thier attitude towards Marijuana keeps the testing in place, even though some marijuana use could help many players rather than hurt them.

Again, it goes back to personal responsibility. If you abuse any substance, its your fault, and a sign of deeper psychological problems in the abuser. Some substances are so addictive you can get hooked immediately, and anyone who tries them is an idiot–Cocaine, Meth, Heroin….Marijuana is so far below that threshold its laughable, even the gnarly modern stuff thats so popular.

Look, getting stoned (using enough marijuana to seriously affect your cognitive and motor skills at the level of drunkenness) equals getting drunk. You drive, or operate machinery, or watch kids, or anything else under the influence of ANY substance that negatively affects your performance is stupid and wrong. But I cant see using marijuana necessarily as automatically being worse than drinking alcohol. Its the amount and your behavior that matters.

66. And you are right Georgia; its crazy that we lost Bb AND Thurmond, and really never missed them. Lane and Maxwell did a truly fine job. WE are very lucky to be fans of a team with a defense so stacked….

67. banosser says:

STTBM ^^ Agreed… as I was one belly-aching over Thurmond’s positive test, and with BB out with the injury I felt there would have to be a drop off.. I was furious he had let the team down in such a potentially magical year… wrong

68. banosser says:

Chuck… Thanks for the explanation.. I still find it interesting that three sources basically report that he never tested positive in Denver.. He was on IR thru the ’05 season.. and cut prior to the ’06 season.. but was underthreat of suspension for the ’07 season.. When did he test positive? All thru the ’05 IR season and then he wasn’t going to be suspended until ’07? In theory he would have been allowed to play in ’06? That seems crazy..

I apologize for my incorrect/falsehood comments if your take is in deed the way it was… just because I can’t find that info on it does not mean it didn’t happen that way.. We’ll all know soon enough as it will all come out in BB’s litigation

69. RDPoulsbo says:

As long as he was part of the free agent pool, he was still a member of the NFLPA and subject to the CBA agreement the rules for drug testing along with it. It doesn’t matter that he wasn’t collecting game checks. He was still part of the union and attempting to get onto a 53 man roster during his time in the CFL. Every offseason, he was trying out for team and a few times was even in training camps shows he filed no paperwork to remove him from that free agent pool. Hell, TO is still hanging around thinking he can still play football and he too is subject to the same drug testing rules.

That’s where Browner’s case completely falls apart. Even if he was in the CFL, he was still a member of the NFLPA and eligible to be picked up by an NFL team and not excused from the rules any other player must follow, including drug testing. On March 11 when all those UFAs become free agents, there is free pass to toke up while waiting to sign the next contract just as Browner was waiting around for 5 years trying to sign one.

70. RDPoulsbo says:

There is no free pass to toke up for UFAs on March 11th that is.

71. chuck_easton says:

Bannosser

The 2007suspension was for the missed testing.

He was deemed non compliant and put into indefinite suspension.

72. We are all in the FA pool . . . . that carries no weight IMO.

73. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

I would assume a similar deal has already been proposed to Tate. And I don’t think anybody on here would scream that it’s too much money.

The catch is if Tate would think that it’s enough money. We wouldn’t want him to be insulted.

74. RDPoulsbo says:

xcman: Unless you are a member of the NFLPA, you cannot be part of the FA pool. If you are a member, then you are subject to all the bylaws in the CBA agreement. Like I said before, there’s a whole lot of players that will become part of the FA pool on March 11th, but it gives them no free pass to violate the CBA between then and the time they sign their new contract.

Oh well, if Tate is insulted at 5 mil per year he can go.

Lot’s of good WR draft prospects this year.

76. RDPoulsbo says:

I wouldn’t go much higher than 5 mil with Tate. The draft and FA market will be a buyer’s market this year.

I think it’s a good sign that there aren’t any FO “leaks” nor the prospective FAs are talking to the media regarding their contracts (with the exception of Rice and the Bryant leak that is). It’s a sign that all sides are talking productively and there’s a good chance they can get everyone they want re-signed.

Would the Seahawks sign incognito for cheap? Could Cable reform him into a civil dirt bag?

78. Southendzone says:

I think Tate would look at that deal and say “I’m clearly better than Cooper”, which receiving stats would bear out, and Tate’s punt returning abilities would differentiate him even more.

I felt all along that something like 5yr/$29M-$30M would be reasonable on both sides. I wonder if Tate wants more than that even.

79. jawpeace says:

CDhawkfan, thanks for your intelligent reply. I noticed many on the form and other places calling Browner stupid. For smoking pot when he could be getting random test up to ten times a month. With those poor odds why would someone have to do something that would potentially cost them a million dollar job. While that seems stupid to many. My opinion was if someone is going to do something even if it has a huge negative consequence. While I am not a DR. it seems like an addiction is the driving force behind such a poor decision. Brain studies have shown those with addictions like drugs and alcohol have dead spots in their brain. Therefore sound logic and decision making is impaired.

80. banosser says:

Chuck… Were those missed tests while he was a Bronco or after he had already been cut and up in Canada? And if they were with the Broncos why have we heard nothing but ‘Canada’ missed tests?

81. jawpeace says:

Screensmoke sorry my post was beyond your IQ. Let me clarify, I said, “To learn from others mistakes and positive experiences all one needs in a decent IQ.” No where do I state that IQ has anything to do with addiction. Because people with high IQ can become addicts as easily as anyone else. In its most basic form, IQ is how one processes information and gains knowledge from the world around them. I guess wisdom would have been more aptly correct here. As it is the application of that knowledge. I saw my sister make stupid mistakes. I saw the consequences of those mistakes and avoiding doing the same thing.
    I saw that my family had serious addicts on both sides. Therefore I knew my potential for becoming an addict would be higher so I avoided drugs and alcohol for I did not want to lose control. That is wisdom.

82. Screensmoke says:

Let’s get you a gold medal that says WISDOM/ who really f in cares

83. Screensmoke says:

Or maybe it should say candy ass

84. Ray_Maines says:

When I was still working as a city bus driver (CDL position) I asked our HR people about the consequences of smoking pot while on vacation in Amsterdam where it’s legal. Bottom line is that it didn’t matter if it were legal or if I were on vacation or anything else. If I tested dirty I was a goner.

Company policy can be, and frequently is, stricter than what the law allows. Can never be less strict though.

In other words, even if all 50 states and Canada legalize pot the NFL still doesn’t have to, and BB made a bad choice. I hope he wins his lawsuit, but he still made a bad choice.

I only know (or know about?) two guys that do a lot of MJ. Both are very pleasant people to hang with, one is “normal” enough but the other guy is a total loser. He’s super smart and well educated but lazy, or at least unmotivated. He wrecks his motorcycle every now and then, couldn’t keep a job in the past and now doesn’t even try to have a job. I defriended him on Facebook because he posts five times a day about the virtues of pot. We’re talking big time blind spot here.

I’m working on my second Martini of the evening so I sure hope this post makes sense. Peace, love, happiness.

85. banosser says:

Ray.. and what if you drove that bus after drinking those 2 martinis? same result I’d guess..

OK… What about gambling? after SD legalized gambling decades ago, I knew multiple people that destroyed their lives and their families because of it.. but guess what.. it is still legal.. same thing can be said about alcohol, prescription drugs… porn. Medical Marijuana is a legitimate and real use.. the benefits of non narcotic or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory for pain control without the bad side effects could really help NFL players.. not to mention eventually the general public.

Pot is no different.. no worse.. legalize it, control it and it just may be more difficult for kids to get it.. cuz they don’t have any problem getting it now.

86. seahawkfan97 says:

read about Colorado taking in tens of thousands in tax revenue and the state taking a million from the drug dealers…win-win I feel for you all up in Wa. till they get the new laws/thc levels figured out (DUII)as well as all the people driving around high on weed…At least you tend to stop too soon while high instead of too late. My aunt is a retired judge in fife..i wish I could have had a discussion with her during this transition while she was still sitting @ the bench…maybe our resident attorney knows her…first name Janet