Harvin has the touch: A look at his 10 plays

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:38 am with 29 Comments »
February 26, 2014 1:38 am

Here are basic but eye-popping numbers: Percy Harvin had 10 touches last season and gained 245 yards.

Let’s take a look:

Harvin touches Harvin touches2

1. First game back against Minnesota Harvin makes his first catch on an over route. We’d see this again later in the season.

Harvin touches3 Harvin touches4Harvin touches5

2. He received another touch against the Vikings and just missed breaking it for a touchdown. After the play, he took a long look at the Vikings’ sideline. They decided not to kick to him again.

Harvin touches6 Harvin touches7

3. Back for the playoffs against the Saints, Harvin starts with his only negative gain of the season, a 1-yard loss on this little screen.

Harvin touches8 Harvin touches9

4. He goes over the middle against a soft zone to gain nine yards.

Harvin touches10 Harvin touches11

5. Here’s that over route again. Same formation, similar result. Both times the DB just missed Russell Wilson’s lofted throw and Harvin made a juggling catch.

Harvin touches12 Harvin touches13

6. End around for nine yards against the Saints. The Seahawks ran many of Harvin’s plays toward Doug Baldwin, who became the lead blocker.

Harvin touches14 Harvin touches15

7. The first fly sweep of the Super Bowl. Harvin nearly busts this, too.

Harvin touches16 Harvin touches17

8. Harvin with another little bubble screen out of the slot. TE Zach Miller and RT Breno Giacomini are on the move to block it.

Harvin touches19 Harvin touches20

9. Fly sweep, Part II. Notice the hard sell from Marshawn Lynch and Harvin again running toward Baldwin.

Harvin touches1810. Game over. If the Broncos thought they had a shot to come back, Harvin rapidly dismissed that when he took the opening kickoff of the second half for a touchdown.

1. djbargelt says:

To quote Sherman on the video from NFL films of SB 48:

” Lord have mercy —–It’s Percy! “

2. Southendzone says:

Cool video breakdown. In play #3 its crazy how far off the defenders are, especially since those short passes seem to be what we feature to Harvin.

What’s interesting about Harvin is that as explosive has he is, he’s not a down field threat. He won’t stretch the defense. When a player like that threatens to break it nearly every time so close to the LOS, it allows other receivers to get loose in single coverage. We saw that a bit with Baldwin in the Super Bowl.

4. Screensmoke says:

When he played with Brett he was a big time deep threat as a rookie – so he can be a deep threat! – just havnt showed that in the few plays he was in this year – when you gave tgat kind of speed your allways a deep threat

Rice was the receiver that pressed the secondary and stretched defenses, there. That doesn’t make him any less a threat to break off TD from anywhere on the field, because of his speed, as you noted.

6. CDHawkFan says:

Going deep usually is a high risk/high reward position (Pick/TD/Sack/Incomplete now 3rd and long, etc). With Percy you have that big play/threat to go the distance (a big chunk of yards) with limiting the risk because you can basically hand the ball off to him near the line of scrimmage. Why risk it anymore than a few times a year to plant the seed?

BTW, did Chuck ever change his stance on the Harvin trade, or Displaced or BlowMT? I think it was Displaced and Blow that didn’t want Harvin to get a ring if they won. I am guessing the SB changed a few opinions.

7. CDHawkFan says:

Wilson wants to own his own sports team.

Kaepernick wants to own more shoes.

8. HawkfaninMT says:

Im not BlowMT, am I?

I have always supported the Harvin acquisition, and everything else is gravy at this point in my opinion. He helped the team win a SuperBowl… What more do you want?

9. For me who was pretty frustrated that Harvin didn’t play much last season that absolute nail- in-the-coffin kick off return touchdown was worth it. Contract and all. I don’t fault those who said Harvin is a head case, selfish, off injured lunatic. But it really confused me that those things had been reported on more than once seemed true but every Seahawks player who see him in person more than any fan or “reporter” (I use that term loosely) said he was a great guy, team first attitude who worked hard and cheered on his teammates when he couldn’t play. Plus when he got his opportunities I never saw anything but a 100% effort from him and willing to take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. Very interested to see what it will be like with him playing an entire season.

10. thursday says:

Game-changing, ‘nother level player, literally a threat to score from anywhere on the field. He could have been the difference in every one of our losses. In fact, I’m confident he WOULD have been.

That’s why all the anti rhetoric was so ridiculous. Not aggressive? Slightly faster Tate? Come on son.

If this is what we get from Percy this season look out!!!

12. Ray_Maines says:

Has anyone searched the VMAC?

Adam Muema’s friends reportedly ‘have no idea where he is’ after early combine exit

13. FleaFlicker says:

Not to change the awesome Percy thread that Todd posted above, but stumbled across a really interesting Mike Rob video last night and thought I’d share:

14. FairbanksDoug says:

Would it be a violation of NFL rules as they exist now if Russell Wilson signed a long term contract for much less then his market value, while at the same time Paul Allen sold a small percentage of team ownership to him at a lower price then market value for those shares?

15. chuck_easton says:

CDHawkFan,

I’m in the ‘let’s see what he can do with a full season’ camp right now.

LOVED his SB contribution. And my simple request was I wanted to see him start and finish two consecutive games.

I consider the SB game 1 and it was spectacular. If Harvin starts and finishes our opening Thursday night game (either against SF or Denver likely) I will fully move into the pro Harvin camp.

My biggest issue with him wasn’t him. It was that so much money was tied up in a non-entity. Well he can be an entity. And as this post shows he can be very productive on a limited basis.

We get the production that are in this post over an entire season and I will be singing the praises of “MERCY, MERCY IT’S PERCY” right along side Sherman.

Does that clear things up?

16. It’s all about staying on the field for PH as far as I’m concerned — I think we all know what he can do when he’s out there. Makes us a different team on offense. I didn’t realize quite how fast he was. The first reverse he ran in the SB . . . damn.

In these days of post-SB, post-Football buzz, kinda wish I had a basketball team to care about . . .

17. Southendzone says:

yeah Fairbanks, without reading the rulebook or being a lawyer I’m pretty sure there’s no way that would fly.

Maybe something like this though: You know RW is a big time religious guy, so he signs a below market deal (not this year, because his rookie deal can’t be reworked this season under the CBA), and then Paul Allen makes a gigantic contribution to a Christian charity of some sort. Maybe even one founded by RW.

Let’s say RW signs a 5 yr 60M deal instead of a 5 yr 100M deal. At the same time, PA contributes $100M to this charity I’m inventing right now.

Total win win for everyone. Hawks Salary cap, RW’s charity, Paul Allen’s tax deduction, and the charity.

18. Southendzone says:

Oh, and this idea I just invented is copyrighted, patented, and trademarked, if they do it, I will earn 10% of the total deal value.

19. chuck_easton says:

I am on an NBA boycot entirely. I only really followed the Sonics. When the NBA pulled the latest trick to stop Sacramento from moving was the final nail in the coffin.

The most I will allow now is the guilty pleasure of watching that team in Oklahoma lose.

Hockey starts again this week after the two week Olympics break. But Calgary is in a major rebuild right now so I honestly couldn’t tell you their record or where they are in the standings. But just as long as they finish ahead of Edmonton people here are OK with it.

Baseball starts spring training. Still a big SF Giants fan from my years living down there. Have a soft spot in my heart for the Mariners, but they play in the Junior division (I’m National League all the way), and, well, they stink. Perpetually, annually, and terminally. But maybe this year?

20. FairbanksDoug says:

I would even consider a promise to Russell to be included in Paul Allens last will and testament. If I was Paul I would consider that just on merit and character alone anyhow. He could let it be held if that time came before he was done playing for the Hawks in a blind trust. That might encourage Russell to take a less then market value contract when the time came.

21. rramstad says:

Fairbanks, the issue is that the NFL has a catch all “spirit of the cap” rule. i.e. if you do things that violate the cap, even if it’s not spelled out as not allowed, the NFL can penalize you. This is how the Redskins and Cowboys were whacked with $30 million lower cap and loss of draft picks back when we had the uncapped year… the NFL said that they overpaid players in the uncapped year to underpay them in the following capped year, and that violated the salary cap, and so whacked their knuckles with the ruler. Seahawks are under more scrutiny now due to the SB win and won’t be allowed to get away with things… hell, with Browner et al and the weird testing problems and leaks on NFL.com and everything, it is already clear that the NFL has been trying to make it harder on the Seahawks and holding them to the highest possible standard. It’ll only get worse from here. If the NFL detects any sort of quid pro quo or wink and nod arrangement, or something more blatant like paying Russell in discounted First and Goal stock or Vulcan stock, we’ll get whacked, pure and simple.

22. FairbanksDoug says:

rramstad Thank you for that explanation.

23. Percy was never considered a deep threat in Minnesota (even though he’s blazing fast).

24. At last year’s draft, if you said our first (and third) round pick trade, the impact player on offense, would get only 10 touches in the entire year but we’d win the Super Bowl in a massive blowout…well, everyone on this blog would have thought you were high AND crazy.

25. It remains to be seen if Percy can be a deep threat. He certainly seems to be able to jump and has great hands. He can also run like no one else. I think he can do it.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him play at SE some next year, even if we resign Tate. Bevell and Carrol seem to be building a WR corps of guys who can play every position, or nearly so. That makes it much harder for the D to substitute to any advantage; we can then move guys around to get the matchup we want, and dictate to the D rather than allowing them to dictate what we do on offense.

Baldwin can play slot and FL. Tate can play SE and slot, and likely FL as well. Kearse can play all the positions. Harvin can certainly play slot, and he’s played outside as well. As long as we can get Tate back, this is looking like a damned formidable, and nearly unstoppable, wr corps, likely the best Seattle has ever had.

26. I dont know how often Percy went deep in Minny, but I saw him catch a few passes over 35 yards, and to me thats a deep pass. Unless Im losing it, which could be true…maybe I only imagined it…

27. I know the NFL does some of this stuff, but if I was an NFL owner, I’d have a special HR program to teach players about personal branding and really invest in it. Then I’d set up off season internships and anything I could do to get them connected and maximize their market value and opportunities to get better endorsements.

The other thing I’d show them is that if they dropped their agents and hired a lawyer for a set fee, they could save that commission they pay the agent.

I think John Stockton did that. Also Holyfield when he became big, quit paying his people a percentage and just paid set fees. Of course he found a different path to wasting his money like big mansions and child support. :)

Harvin’s career average is under 12 yards per reception.