Morning Links: Rough road ahead in 2014

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:07 am with 62 Comments »
February 14, 2014 10:37 am

Good morning.

Let’s take a look at the top 10 toughest schedules, by opponents’ winning percentage, for next season:

1. Oakland Raiders: .578
2. Denver Broncos: .570
3. St. Louis Rams: .564
4. San Diego Chargers: .563
San Francisco 49ers: .563
6. Seahawks: .561
7. Kansas City Chiefs: .559
8. Arizona Cardinals: .547
9. New York Jets: .520
10. New England Patriots: .516

As you can see, the whole NFC West is represented in the top 10 most difficult schedules.

Last year, the Seahawks had the 11th-most difficult schedule heading into the season, facing teams with a .516 winning percentage (130-122-4). Those teams were actually worse. The Seahawks’ opponents in 2013-14 finished 125-130, a .490 winning percentage.

There were oddities in the group. The Texans flew off the rails — in large part because of Richard Sherman’s pick — and never were back on. Atlanta was also a disaster. But, the division’s strength helped make up for that a bit.

The Seahawks shift from the South divisions to play the AFC West and NFC East next season.

At home, the Seahawks play Arizona, Dallas, Denver, Green Bay,  NY Giants, Oakland, San Francisco and St. Louis (.539 combined winning percentage).

On the road, the Seahawks play Arizona, Carolina, Kansas City, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, St. Louis and Washington (.578 combined winning percentage). That’s the third-toughest road schedule.

Links:

> Seahawks.com wonders what the best play from the 2013-14 season was.

> Michael Silver speculates on Michael Bennett’s chances to return to the Seahawks, and essentially concludes, “He might re-sign, or might not, it could be around 50-50, maybe, unless it’s not.”

> I’ll just use the headline in this link: “Andrew Luck, younger QBs eclipsing Peyton Manning, older vets”

> Whole lot of video of Jermaine Kearse, Michael Robinson and Bobby Wagner in studio with the NFL Network yesterday.

> Nate Burleson was released by the Lions.

1. One week at a time.

2. Macabrevity says:

NFC West teams will have the toughest schedules simply because our #4 team would probably be good enough to challenge in at least half the other divisions.

3. CDHawkFan says:

Injuries and such (Houston melt-down) always make this a non-issue during the next year. Remember how we thought the Giants away game, New Orleans home game were going to be difficult, then the Tampa and Titans game at home would be ”easy”. Didn’t really work out that way, so you never know.

And as others point out, since we play 6 games in the NFC West which had a good year, its going to skew next years numbers. All it all, I give more credit to a 5-10 day weather forecast than I do these numbers.

4. montanamike2 says:

Tough schedule in a tough division. Nate Burleson was just released and is at his home in Seattle, i bet he wants a ring if we should happen to lose Baldwin, i don’t know how much there is in his tank. My preference is to keep Baldwin, even with a tender but i’d prefer to lock him up for a while.

5. Southendzone says:

I think NYG and WAS will still be down next year. None of those other games look like cupcakes though. Even Oakland should finally show some improvement.

Burleson would be a good replacement for Tate,(on the cheap) until we finally get that big, fast, and physical WR.

7. Seahawks22360 says:

You’re joking right???^^^

8. banosser says:

If this team really wants to repeat, and I believe PC&JS really do, with a couple breaks they will… I’m not even sure it will be 100% imperative for them to secure HFA to do it.. If they decide to give no long term contracts/extentions this off season.. they will imo have 80% chance to go back to back… I know that sounds high.. but I believe they will be able to maintain that mental edge to do it…

9. TallyHawk says:

Last seasons schedule on paper was tough. It ended up not being that way. I think next years should be easier just based on how much less travel they will have. I could see either if the Philly or Carolina games being prime time. At worst they should be late starts. My hope is that we get a little love on the early starts. Surely we’ve earned it!

10. Carolina on the road again will be tough. Maybe it will be an evening national tv game; that would help.

11. ChrisHolmes says:

Two thoughts:

1) Strength of schedule before the season starts is pretty meaningless, because, as Todd points out, teams don’t repeat their records. The Houston and Atlanta examples illustrate that clearly. We have no idea who will be good or bad next year, it’s only a guess. And it doesn’t matter much; you just have to play the team in front of you and win.

2) The bigger issue, to me, is that this team got the road-game monkey off its back this year. This team showed they can (a) win on the road and (b) win 10am starts on the East Coast. To me, that’s the big thing, because in order to get HFA throughout the playoffs, you have to win on the road. Going 8-0 or 7-1 at home is great, but as we learned this year, HFA is huge, and to get there, you have to win on the road.

SF is going to be a tough opponent – maybe our toughest competition – for years to come. We need HFA again. Road wins are a must.

12. yankinta says:

lol, that article is a JOKE,,, RW is ranked 5th in the young/rising stars, smh…. Gil Brandt player analysis is Garbage,, just like Jaws….

As I said before,, haters will hate and will never admit that they were wrong and this dude is clearly not cut out to do player analysis….

13. RDPoulsbo says:

The tough schedule based on last year’s results are meaningless. Teams have FA and the draft coming up, different coaches, etc. None are going to be what they were last year.

Still, another Manning beatdown at the CLink will be fun to watch.

14. I initially had the same thought about Nate Burleson, but I am not certain that he is a fit here.

15. Seahawkfan78 says:

Yankinta – If all you saw was RW stats, you wouldnt think very highly of him also. You would think he just rides on the backs of Lynch and L.O.B. We all know RW can do. Let them hate, keep that chip on RW shoulders.

16. Mora would have like Incognito….. he always said we needed some dirtbags on the team.

17. RDPoulsbo says:

Burleson could be a good fit here in Seattle. Detroit was a terrible place for him to go, so his down numbers could bring him back for a cheap price. The caveat should be that if he wants pizza, his contract should require that he order for delivery. No more driving with pizza boxes in the car.

18. yankinta says:

Seahawkfan78,, the difference is that I would actually try to look underneath the surface,, but then again I’ve never been in their shoes and will never be.

Having said that I think some of these so called experts are just getting old and lazy. They don’t really care about digging deep anymore…. hopefully Seahawks Fans trust their own eyes and not easily get fooled by these garbage analysis. :)

19. Southendzone says:

I think that article was written specifically to piss off Yankinta.

Stafford over RW? Kap over RW? Cam over RW?

Really? Kap honestly looks like he has a ton of unrealized potential, I’m scared of that guy if he puts it together. If he was to make a big leap in 2014, he could easily be at the top of the heap, but HE HASNT DONE IT YET.

Stafford? No way, we know what he is. He shouldn’t even be on that list. Jamarcus Russell could heave up bombs to Megatron and look half decent.

Cam is good, sure and he can improve too but in the long run, RW will probably always be a better passer than him.

Luck, I can see him there. I’m not in Yank’s camp here, Luck is a solid QB now and has a high probability to improve to an elite QB.

If I’m starting a brand new franchise right now, not considering salaries, I’m ranking my QB prospects as:

A. Rodgers
    A. Luck
    R. Wilson

20. If Kapernick does put it together, the rest of the NFL is screwed. That being said, I don’t think it happens for a while, if ever.

21. montanamike2 says:

Southendzone i’m in total agreement on NY and Washington, those franchises are messes and it’s only a matter of time for RGknee. I think of Luck as more old school and agree he will be elite, Without the #1 pick we got RW and all the intangibles. I think we did OK with the 75th pick, Wilson is off to a great start to be elite and already has a ring and countless NFL records. It still cracks me up how they discount him for his height, when in fact it actually gives him some advantages.

22. Southendzone says:

Montana, did you see at the end of the Sound FX, when RW congratulates Peyton Manning? Manning still has his helmet on and you REALLY get an idea of the height differential. The top of RW’s head barely clears Manning’s shoulder pad.

23. montanamike2 says:

pabuwal i think for Kap to suceed they have to have a good team around him. Harbaugh doesn’t draft like the twins do, we can only hope they lose ground that way.

24. Well IF Kapernick were to ever put it together he would DEMAND Huge dollars and the team would look more like Denver.

Awesome in some areas and HUGE holes in others. Seattle has Weak spots but not HUGE holes like many of these other teams have.

Those schedule rankings are incredibly misleading. Yes, they’d have a very difficult schedule in 2014 if they played their 2013 opponents. But as we all know things can change so dramatically in just one year that it’s “nearly” irrelevant.

I can imagine any scenario, aside from catastrophic mid-season injuries, that would have Burleson ever playing for Seattle again.

I don’t know who’s the biggest whiner here, Jimmy Graham or the writer of this article-

27. montanamike2 says:

I love the idea that we could see Harbaugh throwing tantrums for years to come. I’m sure we don’t need HFA but it sure helps.

28. My Burleson fit comment was for three reasons….. one is his age. Seahawks seem to almost always prefer young players. Second reason is injury history. And third reason is just my opinion, but I will call it a ‘lack of grit’ (toughness?); I always thot Burleson had talent, but lacked some toughness.

29. montanamike2 says:

Yeah the Burleson reasoning only makes sense if we have major injuries to our WR’s.

30. I think the whole Seahawks team now would fit Mora’s “dirtbags” I can’t think a single guy – who got regular time – who wasn’t willing and ready to do the dirty nasty mean work needed to control a game!!1

31. montanamike2 says:

During mid-season.

32. I actually disagree about NYG. They had a pretty good Defense last year and their Offensive Line and RB were hit hard by injuries. They still managed to finish 7-9. They get that offense fixed and they’ll be back to 10-6.

I also think that Kapernick has the better offense around him. Better TE, better WRs and better OL. But his feel for the game is nowhere near Wilson.

33. seahawksteven777 says:

Why do we seem to always play AT Carolina? When are they going to come here for a change?

34. steven777 – Next year, conference championship.

35. seahawksteven777 says:

Luck is always the number 1 in most analysts eyes because of potential. The thing is, we should be ranking on HOW THEY PLAY. Wilson has better stats, more wins, a Super Bowl ring, and plays tougher competition all the while doing it. That’s more than enough reason to have Wilson number 1 among young quarterbacks.

FYI, Luck couldn’t even do anything against a mediocre at best Patriots defense.

36. yankinta says:

Southendzone,, lol nah,, that article did not piss me off…. but articles like that would have piss me off in 2012 but not in 2013, nor in 2014… :)

To compare/respond to your ranking,, below is my ranking…

1. R. Wilson
    2. A. Rodgers
    3. N. Foles
    4. Matt Ryan

37. chuck_easton says:

Kaep is this decade’s Michael Vick (without the jail time I hope).

He’s a great athlete but he defaults to the run too quickly. Vick was very good for the first few years. Eventually all the hits he took caught up with him.

Either Kaep develops a better passing game or he will be just like Mike. Good to very good, but never quite good enough.

38. chuck_easton says:

Ok, now I have to say something (against my better judgment).

Matt Ryan over Luck? That right there takes any creditability that you might have had.

We can debate Luck over Wilson or Wilson over Luck and there would be valid arguments for both sides. For Seattle I don’t think you would find many, if any, people that would choose Luck over Wilson. But on the National level the fact is given the choice between the two I would bet 31 out of 32 franchises would choose Luck.

39. Actually Vick became a much better passer after his release from jail. He eventually figured out the NFL passing game but it took a long time.

40. yankinta says:

chuck_easton,, I would have said Luck over Matt Ryan but after that playoff performance by Luck,, throwing 7 ints,, against league’s bottom 3rd in Pass D,,…. I’d have to say Matt Ryan would have played better in that situation….

Matt Ryan’s career pass completion = 64%
    Andrew Luck’s career pass completion = 57%

How much do you wanna bet that he will have less than 60% in 2014?? :)

41. montanamike2 says:

chuck_easton i agree that Kap is more like Vick. When Luck has a better arsenal to work with we can accurately rank him.

Yankinta- John Elway’s career pass completion = 56.9%.

Would you take Matt Ryan over Elway?

There’s much more to evaluating QBs than simply using completion percentage and/or yards thrown imo.

I think Luck is the closest QB that I have seen play that reminds me of Elway.

43. yankinta says:

lol,, I thought we were only choosing among the young QB to start a new Franchise…

montanamike2,, having an All-Pro WR and Speedster with very good hands (TY Hilton) isn’t enough? Do you want Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitz too? lol,,

44. montanamike2 says:

No arguments here as to Wilson’s greatness, Luck hasn’t got the LOB or Lynch.

45. CDHawkFan says:

Matty Ice is terrible, I wish we played him in all 16 games. Matty Ice, they should call him Matty Poop.

46. montanamike2 says:

Matty pulled a Kap under pressure,(choked) Wilson is cool headed under pressure.

47. MoSeahawk12 says:

Let’s not forget that Luck doesn’t have the strong, tough running game or the best defense in the league taking the field with him. In reality no other QB does either I guess.
    So yes, totally agree with montanmike2 on his above comment.

48. If I were the GM for an expansion team and could have one player on my team in the history of the league as a 22 year old I would take Elway. He’s the best QB I’ve ever seen.

49. I’d take Luck over Wilson to start an expansion team but would take Wilson over Luck if all their teammates were included too.

50. I am not sold on Foles just yet – If he has another season where he can duplicate his success AND be competitive in the play-offs then probably. but not in one season of work and not very good in the play-off game, by my eyes –

Next year he has to go through the NFC west – lets see how he does then.

51. yankinta says:

lol,, maybe 3rd year will be the charm…. maybe Haters will go away after Wilson put up big Season again and win his 2nd Superbowl….

but I’m betting, Luck Excuse club will continue to make excuses for him,, even after a 3rd consecutive season of ranking in the 20’s in QB rating department,, while facing League’s top 3 easiest schedule, while having All Pro WR (Wayne) and above average WR (TY Hilton) with game breaking speed….

Let’s not forget his O-Line (6th best) is WAYY better than RW’s O-Line (32nd Best). :)

Who’s hating on Wilson?
    Do you really believe that or do you just make things up as you go along? Lol.

53. yankinta says:

lol GeorgiaHawk,, that is such an easy question,, let’s see,, Gil Brandt, JAWs, Skip Bayless, Steven A, Pete Prisco,, shall I go on?? :)

54. Ray_Maines says:

I don’t think any team that plays against the NFC-East and AFC-West is going to have the 6th hardest schedule going forward.

55. Looking at any QB statistic without also taking into consideration the offense and coaching philosophy.

56. yankinta says:

To All My Fellow Seahawks Fans…. Now this Video is a MUST SEE!!

It made me tear up watching this!! :)

Against ALL ODDS!!…

57. If Wilson played on the Colts he’d put up more yards and more TDs because he’d have to throw it more. However, the INTs would obviously go up too. If Luck played on the Seahawks, he wouldn’t be forced or allowed to throw it as often. His yards and TDs would go down. However, since Mr. Happy would have him hypnotised to NOT throw picks so his interception total would go down significantly as well. Either way, you really can’t go wrong with either of those two guys. Wilson got to a Lombardi first because he plays with better players than Luck. But, again, both are the cream of the crop in this “next generation” of QBs. I think Wilson and Luck are heads and shoulders over the third place guy, whoever it may be. Maybe Kam? Maybe RGMe? I don’t know who is #3 and I don’t care because I’m quite happy with our guy who wears #3 and I’m thankful we don’t have to worry about a QB for another decade!

58. Palerydr says:

Why do you guys allow yourselves to get sucked into these arguments about Luck with this loser Yankinta? He obsesses over Luck like some teenage girl obsesses over the latest teen moron on the cover of pick whatever teen rag.

Bobby I agree with you I’d choose a 22 yr old Elway to lead my franchise even though I’m a lifelong Hawks fan.

59. yankinta says:

Palerydr,, you are soooo dumb.. if you actually try to read this thread,, you’ll see that I didn’t start the Luck conversation…. I’m sorry but you’re dumb,, maybe you shouldn’t be here… smh….