Tweet link: Fitzgerald to make an adjustment

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm with 26 Comments »
February 4, 2014 2:50 pm

An interesting move from Larry Fitzgerald. His cap hit for 2014 is $18 million. A chunk, $5.25 million, is pro-rated bonus money. He has a $12.75M base salary.

No numbers yet, but the Cardinals’ team site says the adjustment have been made.

1. freedom_X says:

If Peyton Manning is serious about another Super Bowl victory being his top priority, Manning would restructure to free up cap space and take less money for the next couple years. You can measure his true desire for championships based on that.

2. chuck_easton says:

Take note Sherman, Tate, and others on this team.

You can be paid the most for your position and play on a mediocre team or you can make a lot of money and leave enough to ensure that you are surrounded by other great players.

Your choice.

3. SlickToxic21 says:

Yeah, I totally understand when athletes try and get paid what they can…..but the difference between making $16mill per year, and playing on a bad team…and making, say $12mill a year, and staying on a winning team, that you consider family….should be a no-brainer for truly competitive players.
    Some talk about how they have to look out for their families, as they never know how long they’ll be able to play. True, but again, the difference between a 5 yr – $80mill contract and a 5 yr – $60mill contract…..after agents, taxes, etc……isn’t as much as it seems, AND I think I’d be able to look out for my family with the $60mill….assuming there was a good chunk guaranteed.

I believe Manning may have had another ring or two, if he wasn’t taking up $20+mill per season of his team’s cap.

4. SlickToxic21 says:

Anyways…….heading home to watch the game again…..sixth time…..and it isn’t getting old…I still get pumped on each big play….even though I know they’re coming. So exciting to be SB Champs!!

5. banosser says:

Tate said this afternoon on KJR that he loves Seattle and would take less to stay and remain in this organization.. he doesn’t want to be ‘insulted’ but would give a hometown discount… guess we’ll see exactly what ‘insulted’ means… I really hope they keep Bennett (love him) but with Hill in the wings and Williams and Scruggs coming back from injuries I’m not sure he’ll be offered what he deserves..

6. Southendzone says:

I don’t even think this restructure is a pay cut for Fitz, only a restructure of salary into a signing bonus. If that’s the case it doesn’t really translate into a

“Look Richard Sherman what you should do” example to help the team

It’s one kind of decision to help the team out after you’ve earned a monster contract, and you’re just moving money around on the books but not your bank account.

It’s entirely another to ask a 5th round player on their 1st contract to take substantially below market value.

I do believe we will see some players taking less to stay here because they love it, but it’s not going to be to the extent that us fans all hope for.

7. Bennett has no business taking less to stay here; he’s played through injury two years in a row, and is nearly 30. This is the only big longterm contract he will get. He’s got to take the money, especially if its Chicago where his brother is playing.

I sure hope we find a way to keep him, he’s been a favorite of mine since his first preseason game his rookie year.

Tate should take a little less, he should get a longerm contract for good money, and another following it, as he’s young. And he kinda owes Seattle for being patient with him, and for teaching him how to be a pro. He was a bust his rookie year for the most part, and didnt really arrive until his third year (last season). But he’s not going to take a drastic paycut, nor should he.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Perhaps Wilson will share some of his future 100 million dollars a year in endorsements so the other players will take a home town discount. Lol.

Really though, it would be cool if the better players on the team did take less realizing that keeping the better players together would help get them all better endorsements and money if they maintain their success.

9. Seahawks22360 says:

Fitz must not be too serious about winning the big game. Not sure of his contract situation, but if I were him I would be looking for a contender.

Arizona is as much a contender as Denver. Even more so imo.

11. Have to agree with Georgia^

Well, we didn’t exactly do this to Arizona. And definitely not at home.

13. I love Fitzgerald.

I’d want him on our team, but that just wouldn’t be fair.

;-)

14. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I also want Bennett to return but it’s not going to be easy or cheap. We have Greg Scruggs back next year to help out if we lose him.

15. Fitz is one of the best people in the NFL, imo. However, that guy has counted more against the cap (and in cash) than most non-QBs in the NFL over the last half decade plus. And you know full well, again imo, that he’s not taking less money, his contract was simply restructured. That guy makes more than pretty much everyone in the NFL.

Heck, he and Revis each make more in one game than Sherman makes in an entire season. Think about that. So Fitz is the model of a “team” guy like Sherman should try to be like? If Sherman tries to do a Fitz, he’s going to demand to pretty much be the highest paid non-QB in the NFL.

Look at what Fitz has gotten in his contracts and how much (extra) he made. Seriously. It’ll blow your mind. He’s certainly got “his.”

16. montanamike2 says:

I had huge plans for him, sad.

17. doubledink says:

So true Bobby. Fitz is Top Drawer, Class Act all the way.
    Wish I could do the parade tomorrow. It will be quite a party.

18. doubledink says:

Sherm has been such a bargain for this team he is likely to figure that they already got their discount. Pay the man!

19. Seahawks22360 says:

Sorry but they aren’t on the same level as Denver. Not offensively anyway. If they had a better O I’d agree with you.

You mean not on the same level as this physical Denver team?

21. Oldslow says:

Bennett offers something that no other D lineman has given us in a long time: an inside pass rusher. The last may have been Rocky Bernard (I’m old enough for memory problems). While we have a few outside rushers, he keeps QB’s from stepping up in the pocket regularly.

On another topic, part of the reason, I believe, that Irvin played fewer snaps was due to his inexperience at a new position. Much as the situation where while Bowie looked good at LG, he was inexperienced and more likely to make a mistake in a big game.

Our depth includes guys like Bailey, Bowie, Williams (DT), Hill (DT), Scruggs, and Simon to name who I can remember, so there may be some internal changes for this next season, without mentioning the draft or free agency. Ouch. I would nominate John S for president, but we can’t afford to lose him.

22. I’m with you oldslow.

about the memory problems, I mean.

23. I make about $45K a year – I provide for my family – not sure how a guy can’t do it on $1 mil a year – that that they should settle for that but if you aren’t wasting 5 grand on 24k Beats head phones that will eventually break anyway . . . . . .

24. thursday says:

What Tate said: “I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly, I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ball games than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team. You win a game once a month of something like that. I would much rather stay in the situation that I have now for a little less than to go and try to break the bank somewhere else,”