Sunday Primer: Super Bowl edition

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:37 am with 35 Comments »
February 2, 2014 7:37 am
Here's where it will all go down. / AP photo
Here’s where it will all go down. / AP photo

Good morning. At the end of the day, we’ll know if the Seahawks are Super Bowl champions.

What a season to get here. Earl Thomas punching the ball out in the opener. Richard Sherman’s interception against Houston. Jermaine Kearse’s huge touchdown catches. Marshawn Lynch’s power and silence. Angry Doug Baldwin. Russell Wilson’s escapes and growth. Suspensions and offensive line injuries. The Percy Harvin saga. Christine Michael’s huge runs. Michael Bowie parting of the Red Sea. … Just to name a few.

So, 60 minutes left. Buckle up.

Our stuff:

> I wrote about the prevailing topic today: The No. 1 offense versus the No. 1 defense. As always, the Seahawks will try to keep the lid on over the top.

> Dave Boling says the Seahawks will win the Super Bowl, and there’s even more in store for Russell Wilson.

> We linked to it yesterday, but again, here is Dave Boling’s column on Walter Jones being named to the 2014 Hall of Fame class.

> Byron Maxwell has earned was his into the Legion of Boom.

> John McGrath writes to look for a blizzard of Skittles in the Seahawks’ victory parade.

> More from John McGrath on Jones’ pending induction.

> All-night barbecue, breakfast, no booze for deployed 12th Man.

> The Seahawks hope to keep Pot Roast from cooking.

> Erin Andrews wants the focus of Sherman’s rant and back on the game.

> A Super Bowl win could help change the perception of Seattle as a sports town.

> Need help rooting against Denver?

Other links:

> Jim Moore says the Seahawks’ offense has the edge over the Denver defense.

> The Everett Herald writes regional sports fans need this one.

> Could Percy Harvin be the difference today?

> Wilson is living his father’s dream.

> Five keys for the Seahawks from ESPN.

> ESPN finds Hank Goldberg on some deserted island and he gives his prop bets:

> Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey is ready to be a champion.

> Woody Paige with the reasons the Broncos will win the Super Bowl. Inexplicably, Paige says one reason is that the Broncos have a decided advantage on punt and kick returns, despite having the worst coverage units in the league and the Seahawks being second-best against punts.

> A nice column from Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post on what it means to players to win the Super Bowl.

> A look at the stout Broncos offensive line.

Sunday primer:

NFC title game highlights

Feels like a long time ago, doesn’t it?

————————————————————————————–

Flashback video of the day

The only Seattle title in the four major sports seems fitting.

————————————————————————————–

Recipe of the day

New Jersey Super Bowl recipes.

————————————————————————————–

Today in bacon

The bacon tornado.

————————————————————————————–

Today’s weather

Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 12.50.59 AM

————————————————————————————–

Poll position

Do you think Marshawn Lynch will actually retire this offseason?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Enjoy the day everyone! We’re about to make history.

2. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Hey Pabuwal, im getting there around 1. Going in around 4

3. confucious says:

Game day! I’m a little numb from two weeks of hoopla and analysis from the media. But really excited to see a good game. Go Hawks.

Here it is: gameday. No secret to winning today: convert on 3rd down, continue to run the ball so by the 4th Denver is worn out, and collapse the pocket. Those three things happen, Vince will reside at the VMAC. Go ‘Hawks!

5. pabuwal says:

Seahawks 34-24 today folks.

Mike – post where you are when you get in the lot and I’ll try to find you guys.

6. sluggo42 says:

Be physical and impose your will. Maintain tour gap integrity and crush any thoughts of running. Ball control, release the beast and use harvin wisely…

7. montanamike2 says:

They haven’t faced a team like us all year. Woody Paige is showing his laziness, he doesn’t argue any good points about NFC West on TV, he’s a caveman who thinks we are from the NFC Worst.

8. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Where are you going to be?

9. confucious says:

Pabs and Mikefnj, What is your sense for 12’s vs Bronc fan numbers?

10. pabuwal says:

I’m coming in by train so I can be anywhere I guess. I won’t be there for several hours.

11. montanamike2 says:

Last night on ESPN i heard them talking about the shirts, The SeaHawks outnumbered the Donkeys by about 4 or 5 to 1 for the Donkeys.

pab/mike – Have a great time at the game. Nothing like seeing the Hawks in the Super Bowl. Enjoy.

13. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Gotcha, im in lot K.. 12’s out number broncs 2-1

14. montanamike2 says:

I guess that was just for media day.

15. I’ve never had a Hawk jersey before, only a hoodie. On Friday my new job in Seattle gave me an authentic Super Bowl Marshawn Lynch jersey! Couldn’t believe it. Good omen. Been wearing it proud. Beast Mode Super Bowl MVP. Hawks 35 Broncos 27.

16. confucious says:

Thanks Montana. Our local sports radio station sent a crew to New Yo….ER.. New Jersey. They seemed to think the same was true. That bodes well for a “Home game” atmosphere.

I totally agree with Dave Boling’s article, and like pabs I agree with his final score of 34-24.

Go Hawks!!!

18. I like the weather, Seattle weather and I love going against the old AFC Elway’s team.Baldwin, Tate, Kearse get zero respect and all have huge chips on their shoulders that’s great! Last night it just hit me Baldwin is going to have a huge game I can feel it. Our D line will get to Peyton, I am so tired of hearing about him on Tv. Kam will let them know early they will be hit hard in the middle every time they try it. Marshawn will talk all day long.

GO HAWKS!!

19. Duke – you got it. Also, I’d add #4 — Punish any Denver receiver crossing over the middle. We take that away and we make Manning’s afternoon very very difficult.

20. I’ll take a crack at a prediction too…

Denver Offense: 24
    Seattle Offense: 17
    Seattle Defense: 7
    Seattle Teams: 7

Final: Seattle 31- Denver 24

21. averagejay says:

“Richard Sherman is Control-Alt-Delete. Whatever windows are open…He will close them.” Frank Frickin’ Funny Caliendo

22. Harvin’s going to take the opening kickoff to the house! Take that to the bank. Denver’s been giving up damn near 30 yds per KR this year, and Prater is not strong on kickoffs away from Denver.

I think Peyton will move the ball in the first half, but we bend but don’t break in the red zone. Marshawn scores a TD, and we are down 16-14 at the half.

It’s the halftime adjustments that have carried us this year, and the SB will be no different. PC an Dan Quinn will make small tweaks that will shut down Denver’s offense in the second half as the temperature and wind chill also get worse. No team has the depth and stamina of our team, and we will finish stronger than the horseheads.
    Beast Mode will wear them down in the fourth, and our 4 min offense will let us cruise down to double zeros and claim what is rightfully ours, the Lombardi trophy.

Along the way, Showtime Tate will have a huge TD grab, Angry Doug will have another marvelous tippy toe red line snag for a crucial first down, and Sherm and Thomas will have a pick each. SB MVP – Wilson, with 2 TD’s and no picks. This is our moment, guys. 38 years comes down to this, 12’s will outnumber Broncos in the house and we will have home field advantage, also. GO HAWKS!

23. doubter says:

I started posting on this blog a little before the Seahawks played the Steelers in SB XL, and the name I chose was because I doubted we would win. It was mainly because Bettis was retiring in his home town after that game, which made me a doubter that they would win it. I had no idea the refs would help them lose it though.

Confucious said this “As a Hawks follower from the first snap, I have learned to be reserved when looking forward to games. Expectant of a play that snatches certain victory. I am not reserved now. I am unfamiliar with the heady aroma of confidence in victory, but I like the smell of it. I don’t know where this “sense” comes from about this game. But it is strong. Go Hawks!”

I’ve also been a follower since the inauguration of the Seahawks in 1976, I was 13. I still feel a little reserved though, because of Peyton’s great year, Champ Bailey getting close to retiring are the two main reasons for the reserve.

I do feel better about this team than the 2005/06 team, so I’m hoping I can change my name after this SB is in the bag.

GO HAWKS!!

24. doubter says:

“Harvin’s going to take the opening kickoff to the house! Take that to the bank.”

Pretty bold statement, especially when you say “take that to the bank.” What if we win the toss and defer, which we will? I still doubt he will run our opening kickoff back for a TD, but good positive thinking.

GO HAWKS!!!

25. trout_hound says:

No way we defer today. Keep Peyton off the field. Beast Mode down their throats. Percy Harvin ripping off 30 yard runs. Russell showing them he has wheels and an arm. Legion of Boom knocking the **** out of Wes Welker. Peyton running for his life. The Broncos won’t know what hit em.

26. If we change today, I don’t think that sends a good message that this is just another game when they preach winning a championship atmosphere each week. They will defer, as they always do when they get the chance, and they will stop Manning on the opening drive. No sense changing now. Do what got you here and if you’re scared to keep doing what you have been doing, you don’t deserve to be there in the first place, IMO.

Just got back from church and each of us wore a Seahawks jersey – all in Wilson, as we knew he’d be going to church, too. I wore the white #3, little boy and wife wore blue #3, and little girl wore wolf grey #3. They also had a Super Bowl food drive between the Seahawks and Broncos. I stacked the deck with three large bags of food today and the Hawks pulled it out (number of donations to the food shelf in the name of the team). I wasn’t going to let the Broncos win if I had any control over it! And I didn’t! :)

27. raymaines says:

Richard Sherman = Control Alt Delete

I LOVE that comment

I’m as nervous as anybody else, but I’m sticking by my guns. Unfortunately I can’t remember exactly what I predicted. I think something like 36-24. If the score is something close I’ll look it up. I’m looking for lots of points and a double diget Seahawk win.

28. “Just got back from church and each of us wore a Seahawks jersey – all in Wilson, as we knew he’d be going to church, too. I wore the white #3, little boy and wife wore blue #3, and little girl wore wolf grey #3. ”

I kinda love that . . . .

29. been a lot of time with some of you on this blog – – – is today the culmination of it all? Are we gonna win this one?

amped . . .

30. SandpointHawk says:

Yep, a lot of water under the bridge (blog) here over the years. Today is the culmination of it all. We are going to win this one. True Story: I went to get a haircut Friday and as I parked I realized I hadn’t cut my hair all season. I got back in the car drove away….I’m not going jinx the Hawks…So they have to win so I can get a haircut….Go Hawks

31. juliusvrooder says:

Blowing off the best Superbowl party in town. No way I am sharing this with bandwagoneers and trendy women in jerseys of players they know nothing about. Mrs Vrooder has laid in a supply of my fave snack foods and started slow cooking the ribs last night. I have been a rabid fan since ’76, and today it is just me and my remote.

Thank you all for this great blog. Been with you for several seasons (faithful lurker rare commenter) you have greatly improved my fan experience. GO HAWKS!

Standpoint – You and Russell: no haircut this season. Atta kid!

33. jawpeace says:

Nervous anticipation in my stomach! It is finally getting close! GO HAWKS!

34. It’ll sound weird at first, but hear me out.

I’m OK with whatever the outcome is as long as we play our best. If they beat us and we play our best, we lost to one of the greatest and I’m ok (not great) with it.

If however we win, everything changes. Pete Carroll will be the envy of all. He has already revolutionized coaching at a collegiate level and he’s about to do the same in the NFL.

America will fall in love with the Hawks and us diehard fans should let them and encourage them to. There’s enough to go around.

We’re stacked. We have depth. We have remarkably driven and passionate athletes. We’re young and hungry and determined to impact the game as we now know it.

I believe in this group. I think they have it all. Confidence, articulate, team oriented, family oriented and genuine. It just doesn’t get any better than this.

Enjoy the day (for me it has the potential of actually being the greatest day of my adult life)!

We’re lucky and we deserve the goodness. And either way, we’ll be ok.

GO HAWKS!!

35. Seahawks Brothers and Sisters Unite! Wherever in the world you are. Unite and focus! Send those vibes!