Morning Links: Carroll takes control

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:32 am with 29 Comments »
February 1, 2014 7:32 am
Pete Carroll is 60 minutes away from claiming the Lombardi trophy. / AP photo
Pete Carroll is 60 minutes away from claiming the Lombardi trophy. / AP photo

Good morning. Tomorrow, we will find out if the Seahawks are Super Bowl champions for the first time in franchise history.

For today’s paper, I wrote about Pete Carroll’s journey as a professional coach. From his time with the Jets, to his stint with New England, to now. For the story, I talked with Greg Robinson — who has been friends with Carroll for almost 40 years — Ronnie Lott, and Robert Kraft, among others. You can read that story here.

> Walter Thurmond is focused on Sunday’s game, not his future or past.

> John McGrath says these Seahawks have an attitude their 2005 predecessors lacked.

> Dave Boling on Doug Baldwin.

> The Seattle-Tacoma rivalry has a few things in common with the New York-New Jersey rivalry.

> Yesterday’s Super Bowl scene brought out Jennifer Garner and Dennis Leary.

> Photos from yesterday’s Super Bowl hoopla.

> For several Seahawks fans, the New York City Seahawks bar Carlow East feels like home.

Links:

> Persons of interest: Kam Chancellor and Julius Thomas.

> ESPN says Percy Harvin is the X-factor.

> Roger Goodell won’t commit to more cold weather Super Bowls. It looks like this one in New Jersey may not end up being the coldest in league history. It was 39 degrees at kickoff of Super Bowl XI in Tulane Stadium in New Orleans.

> A column that says calling Richard Sherman a “thug” is laughable.

> USA Today with five keys for the Seahawks to beating the Broncos.

> Here’s another Marshawn Lynch interview.

> USA Today on why Percy Harvin will be the game’s MVP.

> SI with a look at the “Harvin Effect.”

> Sherman writes a “love letter” to Pete Carroll.

> MMQB’s Greg Bedard on the game’s hidden matchup.

> Playbook on NFL.com says Russell Wilson’s mobility is a game-changer.

> The nominees for Defensive Player of the Year, which will be announced tonight.

> We’ll also find out tonight if Walter Jones makes it into the Professional Football Hall of Fame.

> The Denver Post says John Fox personifies the Broncos’ super run.

> Peyton Manning is expected to win his fifth MVP tonight.

> Some superstitions going around Denver.

“If”Jones makes it into the Hall. Lol. He’s the greatest LT in NFL history. The bust was finished about a week after his retirement.

2. confucious says:
  3. BeerDrinkingFool says:

So the DPOY nominees are Thomas, Sherman, Kuechly, and Mathis? Strange that Quinn isn’t on that list. I doubt Sherman or Thomas win, as they’ve likely stolen votes from one another. It’ll probably be Kuechly, though those two non-calls against him late in big games were pretty important to the Panthers winning their division. The refs throw those flags (like they should have), and that changes a whole lot about the post season picture and his chances to win this award.

4. djbargelt says:

Prediction: Our D plays lights-out, Beast Mode alive and well, RW shows his big game plays, and Percy is healthy and smiling ear to ear.

Payton and the Bronco Fans: Be afraid- BE VERY AFRAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. djbargelt says:

PS: Peyton – Please be ready to delivery some pizzas from a local Papa Johns to the Seahawks locker room during our SB 48 winners celebration.

GO HAWKS!

6. confucious says:

Sherman “love letter” a must read. That guy continues to impress. Hawks win with control throughout. The offense is STRONG tomorrow. 31-24!

7. I didn’t realize that the Broncos were LAST in the NFL in kick coverage! With Percy and Golden we should have some really short fields.

8. banosser says:

blueshq… trying to find this ^^ Give me a link please.. thanks

9. The USA today link above (5 keys)

10. chawksnr1 says:

Todd – Do you have a link to a printable SB depth chart for both teams, I think like one the media uses, that lists complete rosters, players height, weight, college they attended, etc. Thanks.

11. banosser says:

thanks blueshq… went straight to comments.. tho I still can’t find actual ranking regarding kickoff and punt return yardage allowed (Googling)..

Regardless… Who besides Clayton thinks Harvin won’t be returning kicks lol??

12. Check out the return stats:

Average kick-off return yards by opponent: DEN 29.3 (#1), SEA 24.0 (#13)
    Average punt return yards by opponent: DEN 9.8 (#10), SEA 3.9 (#2)

Average kick-off return yards: DEN 25.0 (#6), SEA 21.2 (#28)
    Average punt return yards: DEN 7.8 (#22), SEA 11.1 (#9)

This is regular season.

13. So where is this stat I keep hearing about how the Broncos are the worst in the NFL at giving up return yards or is it a lie?

14. blueshq says:

From Nate Davis in Todd’s USA Today link about 5 keys: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/01/31/seattle-super-bowl-keys-victory-denver-broncos/5083041/

5. Special teams: The Broncos’ kick coverage units are poor, ranking last in the NFL after allowing 29.3 yards per kickoff return. That weakness has been masked lately as K Matt Prater’s booming touchbacks in Denver’s thin air has saved the Broncos from covering a single kick in the playoffs. But Prater probably won’t be able to hide them at sea level while operating in cold and heavy air. Harvin is a terror as a returner, Baldwin shook loose for a 69-yarder in the NFC title game while Tate is a dangerous punt returner. In a contest that appears so evenly matched in most areas, the Seahawks should have a decided edge here.

15. blueshq says:

twillis, that seems misleading the way they listed the most yards given up as (#1) wouldn’t you agree?

16. mocarob says:

On NFL Honors preview show they’re talking about the LOB.
    When throwing at Sherm this year QB’s had a 48 passer rating. Nice!!

17. Bobby

Football Outsiders ranks Seattle’s Special teams scoring #6 in NFL and Denver #28

Only 3 teams are ranked worse on kickoffs/coverage, Denver’s worst special teams performance category.
    Seattle’s best special teams performance category is punts/coverage, of course.

18. Thanks guys. It seems there’s a different stat for everything and none of them seem to ever matchup. Uhhhggg… lol

19. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

does anybody know what time the hall of fame announcement will be?

20. montanamike2 says:

Aren’t the Seahawks playing tomorrow, because all i hear about is Peyton, Peyton, Peyton like he’s already single handily won the game!

21. Considering that Denver plays home games in the thin air of Mile High Stadium, Denver’s kicking game should be the best in the NFL, but it isn’t even average. On the road, at sea level, Denver’s ST is bound to be a liability.

Besides, who is going to catch Percy Harvin on Super Bowl Sunday? he he he.

22. twillis says:

blueshq – yea, I think it makes more sense that DEN is #32 since “more yards” means “worse” for return yards allowed. In any case, I didn’t see a way to sort the stats in ascending order (which is what you’d want to do for this stat with #1 = best and #32 = worst), so it’s kinda result of that. Though if you just look at raw numbers, their average is the largest in the league — it’s just that you want the smallest average to be “best” at that stat.

On the touchbacks, if I’m reading some other stats right, DEN has a touchback rate of 73% which is #2 in the league. SEA is #15 with 51%. If you look at just home or road, DEN is 85%/57% (home/road) while SEA is (51%/51%). These are 2013, not sure if they include playoffs.

That would seem to me to imply that the DEN coverage is worse than 29.3 yards average since that average is pulled down by 8 games a year where only 1-2 out of every 10 kick-offs are even returned whereas on the road, 4-5 of every 10 are returned. So, there’s some opportunity here. Prater does have a big leg though, his road touchback percentage is 6th best which is going to limit SEA’s opportunities more than if they were facing an average kicker.

I guess as a caveat, it is not clear if the ESPN return stats include touchbacks. If they only include returned kicks, then the statement that their coverage might be worse than 29.3 yard average is off-base.

23. twillis says:

I think the ST stats are a bit comforting. I tend to be really nervous about every game (it’s going to take a while to get over the battered fan syndrome given I’ve been watching this team since they came into the league), but I think there’s enough separation between the talent on the Hawks O and Denver’s D and the STs that as long as the D can keep Manning in check, Seattle has a good shot to win it with their O and ST play as long as they play their game the way they can. I really don’t want to see 2/13 on 3rd down with every 3rd down call being a deep pass like the way the AZ loss at home turned out.

Tomorrow can’t get here soon enough.

24. “Tomorrow can’t get here soon enough.”

Here-here!

25. tunapoki says:

Now I have a bad feeling it comes back with a flag every time they have a big play with ST. Ugh, I can’t shake off XL memory yet.

26. I started posting on this blog a little before the Seahawks played the Steelers in SB XL, and the name I chose was because I doubted we would win. It was mainly because Bettis was retiring in his home town after that game, which made me a doubter that they would win it. I had no idea the refs would help them lose it though.

Confucious said this “As a Hawks follower from the first snap, I have learned to be reserved when looking forward to games. Expectant of a play that snatches certain victory. I am not reserved now. I am unfamiliar with the heady aroma of confidence in victory, but I like the smell of it. I don’t know where this “sense” comes from about this game. But it is strong. Go Hawks!”

I’ve also been a follower since the inauguration of the Seahawks in 1976, I was 13. I still feel a little reserved though, because of Peyton’s great year, Champ Bailey getting close to retiring are the two main reasons for the reserve.

I do feel better about this team than the 2005/06 team, so I’m hoping I can change my name after this SB is in the bag.

GO HAWKS!!