Denver coordinator cites Tacoma’s ageless Kitna

Post by Don Ruiz / The News Tribune on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:13 pm with 16 Comments »
January 29, 2014 1:13 pm

With 37-year-old Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning still near the top of his game, Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase was asked what signs of decline tend to show up first on an aging quarterback.

“That would be hard for me to say,” he replied. “The only guy that I have been around that was an older quarterback was Jon Kitna, and when I left him in ’07, he had just come off of a 4,200 yard season and he looked pretty good to me. He was picked up by Dallas before the playoffs, and talking to (Cowboys’ offensive coordinator) Bill Callaghan, he’s like, ‘This guy can still throw it.”

Kitna, 41, was coaching Lincoln High School when he was lured back into the NFL, where he had played for 15 seasons before retiring in 2012. The Tacoma native had played at Central Washington and with the Seahawks.

1. LOL…The NFL needs to start encouraging Richard Sherman to do more “after-game” interviews as it obviously helps their brand in the UK. (Watch the ending.) http://screen.yahoo.com/buzzfeed/happens-ask-british-people-describe-160830226.html

2. seahawk44 says:

Can anyone help with this question?

If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl…..what day will the championship parade be?

I want to attend that at any cost.

Go Hawks!

3. steffonator says:

I can’t take it anymore. I’m from Buffalo NY and live here in the Seattle area and as anyone from Buffalo and I mean anyone will tell you Marshawn Lunch was not an angel and he talked it up a ton there. The reason he doesn’t want to do interviews is from all the crap he and his East side “thugs” pulled in Buffalo. The news paper there is the Buffalo News and can tell you why they hate him there. You can find there where he got in a car wreck and almost killed the other driver, bar fights downtown and when his possie and him walked out of Friday’s and he told a booth of women to pick up his tab, except one of the gals was the Sheriffs wife and she had her husband notified. The guy treated the town like crap and they let him know.
    I’m a Hawk all the way, own a home here and am 12th man fan, but I’m sick and tired of the poor Marshawn doesn’t want to talk, when he did plenty of it in Buffalo. I hope he gets 150 yd’s and 3 td’s for us and we win because of him, but stop with with the poor Marshawn afraid to talk to the media, he’s still an Oakland thug.
    Go Hawks.. Super Bowl all the way.

4. ChrisHolmes says:

@steffonator: is it reasonable to believe, then, that perhaps Marshawn learned his lessons about talk and the way to treat folks?

Lynch strikes me as a guy who has undergone some changes in his life. Maybe he was a not-so-good-dude in Buffalo, but that hasn’t been who he’s been here.

You gotta let people change and leave their baggage behind.

Final thought from me: My ex-father-in-law was a bastard when he was a younger guy. I learned that from my ex-wife when we first met. I mean, the guy was a real womanizer, stepping out on his wife when they had young kids together, partying, drinking, etc. Total dirtbag.

When I met him, 20 years later, he was a completely different person. Nice guy, sober, family man, no issues.

He grew up. Changed. It happens.

It would have been really dumb of me to hold his past behavior over him when he clearly wasn’t that guy anymore.

Buffalo fans can be angry; be angry that Marshawn was traded, that he didn’t behave well while he was there, whatever. But he doesn’t seem to be that guy anymore, and not “talking” seems to be an embodiment of that fact.

Move on.

5. Screensmoke says:

Good points- steffonator all that may be true but it sure isn’t the case in seattle- marshawn allready called himself out on that in his espn special awhile back- say ehat ever u want on this blog it’s your right but I think it sucked-

6. Screensmoke says:

Go Hawks!

7. mrchubbs says:

I was bored and went back searching for news articles in Buffalo on Lynch with quotes, etc..

The headline of this one from the start of the 2008 season suggests his media silence has been going on for a long long time…. as does the article itself.

Lynch’s play, silence speak volumes

And it seems that every article with mention of Lynch has something in it describing how rare it is for him to speak to the media… even back in 2008.

8. CDHawkFan says:

Thanks for the background Stef.

I’m thinking this is just a big issue because the reporters don’t like it and are trying to get back at him, I mean does anyone (fan) care if ML talks to the media? I’m not thinking so but it’s being written about everywhere and I thought the ESPN headline was way off last night, saying he didn’t talk, but I saw video he did. Then Clayton making it personal.

In the end, I don’t care what ML does (as long as it doesn’t break the law), just win the game.

9. Well, I mean it is Buffalo, NY. Does anyone really need a “reason” to treat that town like crap? The epitome of the “oooh, you almost had it!!” when it comes to losing the superbowl 4 times….
    :) :) :)

10. P.S. I was totally kidding. Much love to any city with an NFL team. there has to be a few teams that always suck every year. BAHAHAHA!!

I keed, I keeeeed!!

seahawk44 – I actually called the Seahawks this morning and asked that very question. That info hasn’t been released yet. It’s generally the Tuesday after but I’m going to call again Friday afternoon to see if they know then.

12. Southendzone says:

Hey Stef,

Respect that post even though it’s here-day. If you haven’t, you should go watch the Marshawn E:60 interview. At one point he discusses how hard it was going from being an incredibly poor kid to the NFL in relation to the trouble he got in in Buffalo.

So I guess I’m sort of echoing Chris Holmes opinion, but there’s a good chance he has changed, even if all those things you said are facts.

and if he wins the superbowl for us, he can run me over, brandish a gun at me, and make me pay for his restaurant tab for the rest of my life.

13. steffonator says:

Thanks for the good feed back on my post guys, I’ll give Marshawn his due, heck I think I’ve changed to the better myself. He’s our guy all the way. Dang interviewers drive me nuts on TV. Guys like Chris,Screensmoke,Mrchubbs, Cd,Df,Dukeshireand, Southendzone make this a great site. I hardly ever post cause you guys cover everything and I learn alot.
    Thanks again.
    Go Hawks…Super Bowl

14. seahawk44 says:

Thanks, Duke. Please pass along info if you get any

15. Screensmoke says:

Steffonator- I must say I am impressed! Great response! I could learn a thing or two from how you handled that response – outstanding job!