Catching up with former Seahawks QB Hasselbeck

Post by Kari Plog / The News Tribune on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:26 pm with 37 Comments »
January 27, 2014 3:26 pm
Former Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck co-hosts Afternoon Huddle with Chris Myers at the Media Center in New York. (KARI PLOG, Staff writer)

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck passed through radio row on Monday and had nothing but love – if not a prediction for the Super Bowl – for his former team.

Hasselback, now the backup to Andrew Luck in Indianapolis, said he’s impressed with the Seahawks’ starting quarterback, head coach and loud fans.

“If it’s not your team playing, you just root for your friends,” Hasselbeck said after hosting a Fox Sports segment with Chris Myers.

Hasselbeck said second-year quarterback Russell Wilson has had a great start to his NFL career and should not change his approach for Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos.

“I don’t think he needs any advice from me,” Hasselbeck said. “I hear him saying all the right things.”

In his 10 seasons with the Seahawks, Hasselbeck set many franchise records and led the team to its first Super Bowl trip. He said he learned a lot from his last season with the Seahawks under head coach Pete Carroll. He said Carroll’s coaching style, which has drawn both praise and criticism, has a record that speaks for itself.

“I wish I would’ve had more years to get to play with him,” Hasselbeck said. “I still use a lot of the things he taught me in that one year today.”

And, of course, Hasselbeck couldn’t leave out his appreciation for the 12th Man.

“I don’t think a fan base has ever contributed to so many wins,” he said. “They’re famous fans.”

When asked about who he thought would win, he said, “I’ve got to study a little bit more. It should be a great game, though, I know that.”

1. vichawkfan says:

Never been a better time to be a Hawks fan fellas….even better next Monday.

2. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Woooo!!!!!! Let’s go Baby!!!!! Just getting warmed up for sunday!

3. Love Matt still to this day!

4. I hope Matthew is able to retire a seahawk.

Perhaps we can trade Jackson for Hasselbeck after we win the Super Bowl.

6. He gave us some great years.

7. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Hey is anybody coming to the game?

8. I don’t know yet. Are you going to Media Day tomorrow?

9. montanamike2 says:

I wish i could

10. MikeFromNewJersey says:

No im not have to work cant make it to media day, but going to the game sec 108. I’m very fortunate.

11. MikeFromNewJersey says:

My brother just got Sherms autograph af the Nets game brooklyn. A bunch of hawks were in a suite next to my brothers by pure accident. Hd said Sherm is a awesome guy very cool.

12. I still wish we’d somehow kept Hass rather than run with T-Jack. Then again, the line they built was a massive failure and would have gotten him maimed for life. Im glad Hass got through his career without getting too beat down. It would have been cool to have him here with Carrol and Bevell; I think they would have worked well together.

Fortunately, it only took another year to find our franchise qb Russell Wilson!

I do hope Hass signs a symbolic contract to retire a Hawk. Im a sucker for the cheese…

MikeFromNewJersey – Awesome!

14. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Yeah im very jealous.

Don’t show up Lynch!
    You know it’s just a circus.
    Todd and his buddies at TNT will gladly pay your fine.
    Us bloggers here will throw in a few bucks too.

Hopefully this won’t get buried, and if it does I’m sure Todd will link it tomorrow, regardless. Great read on Lynch.

Lol Duke.

Looks like we are thinking ,(with regards to Lynch) about the same way at about the same time.

Could it be we are drinking the same beer too?

Oh wow. That’s funny.

19. The world is ending; Georgia and Duke getting along. I’m stockpiling food and water…

According to Seahawks.com-

“Six of Seattle’s last seven opponents have ranked in the Top 10 on defense, a category where the Denver Broncos finished 19th in the League. That means Super Bowl XLVIII with mark the lowest-ranked defense the Seahawks will have faced since their early November meeting with the Minnesota Vikings – a game the Seahawks won 41-20.”

21. MoSeahawk12 says:

Unfortunately, the Broncos have a waaay better QB than Minnesota though. I still like our chances….a LOT!!

22. “STTBM
    Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:14 pm
    The world is ending; Georgia and Duke getting along. I’m stockpiling food and water…”

LMAO!!!

Maybe something else crazy like hell freezing will happen… like the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl?

23. Bobbyk–Stranger things Have happened; I just haven’t heard of them lol!

Good job on the Sherm parallels you made for your students! I salute you!

Lol STTBM.

Far past time to bury the hatchet for any and all disagreements here, (including with SandpointHawk).
    We have a special team to root for this week and I want us all to come together and get this thing done!

Go Hawks!!!

Lol. There’s no doubt about that.

26. Where’s bbmate and Edstang?! Let’s get this love-fest rollin’ lol!

27. Mo–As long as our D holds, and we can be efficient throwing the ball, this game is ours!

28. could care less if ML shows up for the media day – if he doesn’t you know the whole press row will have a field day. His team mates won’t care.

The choice is up to him, but if he doesn’t show – he deserves every penny he is fined.

29. Lynch will show. The media won’t like his answers and will get what they deserve.

30. I love his one word answers!!! The contract only says he has to show up – if they don’t like the answers – they can stop asking the questions :)

I do wonder what caused him to stop wanting to do interviews – he used to not avoid them – now he loaths them, except the Japanese ones.

31. Hammajamma says:

Seconding the praise for Silvers amazing piece on Lynch. A lot we don’t know about that cat.

32. hawks4life says:

Hey guy’s here is a great video, its the players view from the bus on Sunday when all us 12’s came out to support our Hawks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8o9hR7Z4HE&feature=share

33. toastmaster says:

I answered the phone tonight to an unknown local number thinking this is it!!! I’ve won tickets!!!! It was just Group Health wanting money. I’m now depressed and down $50. . .

34. Fox sports talked to Sherm at that game. They also showed a clip of Russell talking to a short blonde. This is the last night without curfew.

That was a cool video. Way to send ‘me off 12s. Just awesome.