Mike Holmgren on his regrets from Super Bowl XL

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:05 am with 31 Comments »
January 26, 2014 11:05 am

Mike Holmgren has one major regret from Super Bowl XL: getting caught up in the officiating.

His players said they were able to play through it while in the game. But, Holmgren wishes he was more composed to help other players on the sideline while the game went on.

“If I could change anything, it would be to change the emotion of the players on the sideline as that game was going,” he said. “Every call, after the beginning, everyone on the sidelines would just erupt, and I think I couldn’t calm them down, partly, because I got too excited. I didn’t do that very well.”

Holmgren had much more to say in his conversation with our Dave Boling. Check out the story here.

1. “As significant as the officials calls seemed, they were not involved in Willie Parker’s record-setting 75-yard touchdown run nor the reverse pass touchdown by Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward. At another point, the Hawks allowed the Steelers to convert a third-and-28 situation.”

The defense cost the Seahawks that game.

2. Singularitarian says:

Actually there was excessive holding on the Randle El pass. Went Un called

3. Singularitarian says:

Well I want back and watched that play and the holding wasn’t as bad as I once thought

4. My HS football team experienced the same thing. I didn’t play in that playoff game, but Even suited up on the sideline I was losing composure. We were facing a team with 83 players, 60 who suited up; we had 23 total. Despite being much smaller guys, and total BS calls worse even than in the SB, we were only down 3 at the half.

But we couldn’t maintain discipline, and ended up getting blown out.

Holmgren called the game of his life though; the players–like Stevens–failed him. BUT, Holmy made two huge tactical errors; he didn’t stick with the run (SA had 95 yards), and he later admitted he “forgot” about Joe Jurevicious.

Once D-Jacks knee went in the second quarter, no Seattle WR could get open. But Joe J could catch the ball even when covered. But Holmy left him on the sideline. To this day, I believe Holmy not using him after Jackson went down played a big role in Joe deciding to leave for Cleveland, not just his family connection.

Those two mistakes by Holmy really cost us.

The D played well, they just panicked a couple times and lost discipline, and it was enough.

5. MadSweeney42 says:

I disagree somewhat about the bad calls not affecting the reverse pass TD. No way they try that 3rd down play from their own 25, which is where they would’ve been spotted if Hass had not been flagged 15 yards for “illegally tackling the guy with the ball” during the interception that came directly on the heels of the phantom hold on Locklear. Both of those plays were the only ones the NFL said were wrong, though they hid the tacit admission about the hold until the rule “changes” the following season. The point of emphasis said that refs had to actually see the hold, not body language that looks to be the result of a hold, to flag it. The ref saw the DE spin around in what looked like the aftermath of a hold, he didn’t see the actual hold. He couldn’t have. If he’d have been watching he’d have seen that the DE was offside. Plus, Holmgren wasn’t fined for his later comments during a season in which any criticism of refs was very costly to the speaker.

But I digress. The point was that two bad ref calls, very close to each other (4-5 plays apart), turned the Hawks having the ball 1st and goal to defending a 3rd down play on the 40. The refs had nothing whatsoever to do with the actual scoring play, that was on Trufant, but that whole 10-14pt swing was majorly abetted by poor calls, both of which were proven to be wrong.

The Parker run was an outstanding play call, for which the two positions (DL and LB) who would ideally be the ones that stopped it were both injury subs. Perfect call unfortunately.

6. jawpeace says:

The one crap call I still can’t get over and there were many. Is calling Hasselbeck for a personal foul on a low block when he was making a tackle. The other bad calls I have seen in other games but not that one.

7. Holmgren’s regret should have been having Hasselbeck throw the ball 50 times in the game and bleeding clock in the final 2 minutes of each half.

8. SandpointHawk says:

Well they got the order of that mock draft correct at least…

9. MadSweeney42 says:

Every mock draft I’ve seen has Seattle last. It’s because they “win” a tiebreaker with Denver, so Denver gets the higher pick. If the draft happened today, that would be the order.

10. All I want to do is focus on the game this upcoming Sunday…

11. Jeramy Stevens doesn’t drop two balls, and Darell Jackson doesn’t push off (even if was marginal, it wasn’t necessary) totally different game. We also had CB playing that was in street clothes two weeks prior

12. thursday says:

Agree about the Hass call. That was definitely the most egregious and the one I still don’t like.

13. Did everyone read that great article from the New York Times that was linked on the last thread? If you didn’t, you should read it. It’s about Sherman and his past.

Every student in my American History classes are going to read it tomorrow. We talked about the Sherman interview last Monday and how one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover and then we talked about Sherman and Crabtree later in the week (they saw the miked up stuff and the short funny link Todd put on with the kids imitating Sherman) when we talked about World War I.

Nationalism in terms of WWI was similar to the 49ers/Seahawks wanting to be the biggest and best.

Imperialism and competing for foreign territories and how heated it can get between nations (or teams who don’t like each other).

Militarism – building up of armed forces (Boldin-Harvin).

The one long term cause we didn’t relate it to as much as the Alliance System but the kids were pretty engaged with the connection (and, yes, I know football isn’t a “war” in terms of people getting killed – but if you can get a kids’ attention and “hook” think into comparisions they care about – they are going to learn more and it was probably the best job of getting kids to learn about WWI I’ve ever experienced. When the kids learn and like it – everybody has won, IMO).

My kids certainly know who Richard Sherman is, that’s for sure. And they like it.

14. banosser says:

Exactly.. The hold on Locklear that was actually offsides should have resulted in 1st and goal from the 1 down 14-10 in the 3rd qtr leading to the go ahead TD… Instead it wound up being 1st and 10 for the Stealers near midfield (on the heals of the absurd ‘blocking’ call).. Rothlisberger was awarded a TD when he was short.. the OPI on Jackson which took away a TD (called by the BJ who was a native of Pittsburg).. the fact that according to the refs Pit played a near perfect game being called for only 3 penalties, 2 being a false starts the other being I believe an illegal pass on a screen that hit an OLman (can’t ignore those as a ref).. Seattle had 4 offensive holding calls (2 which wiped out big gains, 2 on returns costing field position).. Pittsburgh had zero.

That doesn’t excuse dropped passes, poor clock management and the fact that the 3rd string FS cost us 7 pts.. or that the SS let the ugliest duck in the history of SB be completed down to the 2 yrd line or so, on 3rd and 28 no less…

Most frustrating loss ever and the refs played a large part in it.. The Hawks had the better team

15. montanamike2 says:

I think i might freak out if we win in exactly 1 week and 1 hour, 50 minutes from now. At least i won’t be alone, it definitely won’t feel real right away.

16. montanamike2 says:

Jeremy Stevens is a turd, so’s his girlfriend.

17. montanamike2?

18. montanamike2 says:

That’s only game start time, i guess i’ll be freaking out about 3 hours later, my bad.

19. Pointing out errors by Seattle only shows that Seattle didn’t play a PREFECT, FLAWLESS GAME. You can show errors by ANY TEAM in ANY GAME.
    This doesn’t excuse the repeated one-sided bad calls by the refs. Seattle was the better team and deserved to win.

20. I stopped watching NBA decades ago because of the bad reffing – long before the betting scandal (McGonahy sp?) broke, what, 15 years ago?
    I reffed HS basketball and baseball back when I could run, so I tend to watch refs. Some mistakes look inadvertent, but SB XL had many mistakes that looked deliberate. All for Pittsburgh.

I’m convinced that “deliberate mistakes” are the only thing that will make us lose next week – we have the better team. Unbiased reffing, and we win by 14+.

21. Lol Montanamike2!

Stevens is scum, but I feel very sorry for his gf. Just because she puts up with abuse doesn’t mean she deserves it…

Bobbyk–I like the parallels you drew for your students. Anything to get them thinking. Very well stated. I bet the jocks remember you as a pain in the butt in college, but later will admit you were the best teacher they ever had.

I have exceptionally low opinions of our flawed public school system and the vast majority of teachers; but, I vividly recall Avery good teacher–like you–who made an effort to make us see the relevance of school. And I went to 7 districts, two if them twice.

Bravo!

22. SandpointHawk says:

Nice BobbyK…

23. Southendzone says:

This thread is terrible. Do you all want to come over to my house and kick me in the nuts for 3 hours? That’s what reading these comments is like.

24. SandpointHawk says:

I don’t know South, let me think about that for a while…Do you have beer?

25. South, you win the Internets for today.

26. Southendzone says:

Sorry SPH, only 1 beer left out of 3, and it’s life expectancy is under 30 minutes from now.

It’s just that SB40 is like my Vietnam. Hearing these comments about the particular terrible calls makes me drop to the floor in the fetal position.

27. SandpointHawk says:

Understand both points. I’ll bring the beer…

28. raymaines says:

I like the Viet Nam and SB 40 Comparison. Really poor adult supervision, bad ending, & painful memories too many years later. That’s My Post Of The Day. Thank you.

29. ChrisHolmes says:

The problem with the bad calls in SB 40 is that they affected, dramatically, the sequence of events. People can try to marginalize the impact, but that’s a false rationalization.

The most egregious of these was the bogus holding call after Stevens caught the ball at the 1-yard line. Without that call, Seattle has four downs to punch in the TD, creating a significant point spread and, in all likelihood, wins the game. Pittsburgh also would not have called the same sequence of offensive plays following that TD had Seattle scored 7 in that instance.

But instead, the sequence of events was significantly altered. The play was called back, and on the next play Hasselbeck, rightfully irritated, forced a bad throw, got intercepted, and then got penalized on his block. The momentum shifted (which is a big deal in an NFL game) and Pittsburgh went on to score and take the lead.

That play doesn’t happen on 1st-and-goal at the one.

So, bottom line, the calls DID affect the outcome of the game, because they affected the sequence of events, and affected the play calls that each team made. In the span of a couple of minutes, everything in that game changed, and it all really hinged on one bad, bogus holding call that wiped out a 1st-and-goal at the one.

Now, obviously we have no way of knowing what would have happened on four tries from the one yard line. Perhaps Hasselbeck and Alexander muff the handoff like Wilson and Lynch did last week, and it becomes a turnover that way. Who knows?

But that’s the disappointment right there: we’ll never know what SHOULD have happened because the refs took it out of the players’ hands.

I think any of us, as fans, can live with players not making plays and losing a game. If Alexander fumbles the ball at the 1-yard line, or Hasselbeck throws an interception at the 1-yard line, or Pittsburgh makes a great goal-line stand, then it becomes no different than the flea-flicker or anything else. Seattle loses because they didn’t make plays.

But Seattle didn’t lose that Superbowl. The refs took it. On a holding call that changed the course of possible events. They stole it. And any attempt to minimize that fact is just a weak attempt to rationalize it.

It’s a fact. The refs affected the outcome.

Now, I’m over it. And it’s done. But no one is going to rewrite history on that. Fact. Refs changed the game in one play.