Ronnie Lott says Kam Chancellor heading toward Kenny Easley’s level

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm with 28 Comments »
January 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Had a chance to talk with former San Francisco 49er and one of the best safeties of all-time, if not the best, Ronnie Lott. Lott is a fan of Kam Chancellor.

Here’s what Lott had to say about Chancellor, after calling Chancellor and Earl Thomas “the best safety tandem in the league.”

“Kam Chancellor right now is as good as any safety that’s played in the game of football,” Lott said. “It’s hard for me to say this, but there was only one guy that I know that’s better and that’s Kenny Easley. He was defensive player of the year and best player to play the safety position, ever. He is getting to close to being in that community of greatness. And that is hard for me to say that because I have the utmost respect for Kenny Easley. That group, those two (Chancellor and Thomas), they’re playing at that level.

“Those two will be playing a role in (the Super Bowl) because they attack people. They will have a chance to make plays or they will have a chance to not make plays. I’m hoping for their sake, they do what they’ve done all season long. Tackling well, doing just the basics. They are fun to watch.”

Reminded he was a pretty good safety, Lott reluctantly agreed before talking more about Easley.

“I would tell you I look up to Kenny. When I look at Kenny and I look at myself, the only thing that separates us is Kenny didn’t get a chance to do it as long. That’s the only thing.”

“If Kam can do it for 10-plus years? And which it looks like he can, he will go down as a great, great football player. He clearly has shown up not only with his striking ability, not only his ability to dissect plays, and he’s playing a very instrumental role in being able to understand the pass and the running game. People know where the corners are, they also know where these two safeties are.”

1. That is indeed high praise from a great player. Kam really is awesome!

2. Nice to hear appreciation not only for Kam and Earl, but for Kenny Easley as well. He has long been one of my favorite Seahawks. It is so great to see the intimidation that a hard hitting safety brings to the field.

3. FleaFlicker says:

Am I crazy to think that 15 years from now, we’ll look back on three HOF players in our secondary?

4. MoSeahawk12 says:

I think we have two and probably three that could make it to the hall. Lot’s of hard work, consistency and great years will tell that tale one day. I’ve been a huge fan of Kam’s from the first year he got here. He has gotten so much better and not only delivers the big hits, but has stepped up big time in coverage and technique. Earl is just a natural talent and has also improved on so many aspects of the game. There isn’t another defensive player that has his range, speed, smarts and hands. His tackling has improved a ton as well. Easley was a legend and it’s pretty cool that Lott shines a comparative light in his direction in regards to Kam. We all know Sherman is the best CB in the game right now. Great time to be a Seahawks fan.

5. sluggo42 says:

Vernon Davis is a big guy, but Kam destroys him every game. Wes welker already got ruined once by browner. I’m guessing that we will take a penalty on a rub play by blowing up another WR in a bone jarring play that will create the short arm syndrome. I think Peyton will get some completions for sure, but I also think that he gets hit too, along with the rest. Knoshawn already has cracked ribs, so he will only last one or two runs.
    Not sure y’all saw the 49er game where gore almost ran in for a td, but he was slowed by some, but the lick that earl Thomas put on him at the 1 was evil wicked, and gore had to leave the field. He was hurting for sure.

This is where the broncos will not be ready. They are going to get hit like they haven’t been all year, and by the second half, they are going to shy away with “career decisions” just like db’s do when facing beast in the open field. Kinda like mike Tyson’s early fights. Everyone honks they were ready for it, right up to the first one they ate. Then … Not too much.

6. The growth of Chancellor has been ridiculous this year. Some players get that big contract and go into a shell. He got it and seemed determine to eliminate all his flaws and become one of the best, if not the best.

7. Maybe this sounds cheesy but if we are fortunate enough to win the SB wouldn’t it be really cool for the team to honor Kenny Easley with a ring and a share? And frankly the same could be said and done for Cortez Kennedy and Steve Largent. All three incredibly talented players and really, really good people.

8. BTW, didn’t Kam play QB at VaTech? Pete was asked several months who’s the emergency QB – no answer. I suspected it was/is Kam.

Kam was corner at VaTech before they moved him to Safety.

Lott praising Easley the way he did is awesome, Easley deserves to be in the Hall, no question about it.

10. “Maybe this sounds cheesy but if we are fortunate enough to win the SB wouldn’t it be really cool for the team to honor Kenny Easley with a ring and a share?”

Nice sentiment but a silly idea. Easley is in the ring of honor. It makes no sense to take money away from the guys on the current team to give it to a player from the past who has no association with the team today. He has been honored by the team already.

Browner will probably get a share, if NFL rules allow it. Since he played this season and contributed, and it seems like the players still like him. Earl Thomas does anyway.

I remember when the SuperSonics won the title I wanted Bob Blackburn to get a ring. Not sure if they gave him one or not. Of course Calabro is THE MAN, but I sure loved Bob Blackburn. There’s something about the people who paint the mental picture for you on the radio, the ones who do it well, that make you feel like you are friends with them. Dave Niehaus is another example, one you youngsters can probably remember better than Blackburn.

11. FleaFlicker says:

Hypothetically speaking, if we win (knock on wood), does Perrish Cox (who was on our roster for about a week and then played AGAINST us in the NFC Conf game) get a ring as well?

12. Cox gets what the Niners got. Nothing.

13. FleaFlicker says:

And in the thread of former 49ers, doesn’t this picture just make your hair stand-up (Mike Rob in a Niners uniform):

14. Remember, Kam played hurt last year and this year he has pretty much been healthy. It shouldn’t be a shock to our system for him to have played better this year than last season. With that being said, while I expected Kam to play better this year since he was healthy, he’s playing at an even higher level than I thought a healthy Kam would. Good stuff!

15. SandpointHawk says:

Boy that was special indeed. Makes us old timers feel good…Thanks.

Wow! Special praise indeed by one of the greatest of all time. So proud of Easley and the LOB.

17. bulldog80 says:

Todd,

Excellent article, really enjoyed. That was really gracious for Lott to give those guys that amount of praise. Lott has been one of my all time favorite NFL players. Anyone who’s heard the finger amputation story has to love that dude.

18. Southendzone says:

Anyone for some Seattle/Denver history?

That’s right, you know what play it is before you even click it.

GO HAWKS!

19. vichawkfan says:

Great article Todd. Lotts praise of Kam reminds me of Jerry Rice’s similar regard he holds for one Stephen Michael Largent. Sometimes it’s easy to forget how proud we can and should be of our teams history win or lose this week. Now one thing I’m only slightly worried about. The amount of attention Sherman and Kam are getting lately and seemingly receiving less is ET. Yes he’s a pro’s pro etc. but I hope he plays within himself on the weekend and doesn’t try to make big splash plays and forsake his position and tasks. ET has a very high regard for himself and this lack of attention hopefully doesn’t get him in trouble on some plays, like over running or biting.
    Outside of that I feel quite calm and confident we come out with the Prize.

20. “The growth of Chancellor has been ridiculous this year. Some players get that big contract and go into a shell. He got it and seemed determine to eliminate all his flaws and become one of the best, if not the best”

yeah, totally agree, he’s become a real cornerstone member of the team. he’s been all over the place making tackles these last several weeks; and will be a key guy for us next week.

21. trout_hound says:

Kam is a beast. So glad he’s on our team. Its interesting that Lott seems more impressed with Kam than Earl. Glad we got em both.

I hope someone is showing our boys tapes of old beatdowns of the Hawks by the Broncos over the decades so they can tap into the years of angst us fans feel and drum up a bigger distaste for our opponent. Mr Ed, you’re going down.

Why not us? Why not now!

22. montanamike2 says:

I’m always proud to wear my #31 jersey. I got a Wilson one too just because but i always wear #31. His first year on the field he was a pro bowler, 2nd year he dropped off quite a bit. After he had surgery, i told my friends that he would return to form, he’s surpassed that.

23. We’ve been discussing matchups between Seattle and Denver as far as players and such but one thing that I’ve been thinking about is the coaching matchups. I think John Fox is an OK/good coach but I just don’t see the Seahawks being “out coached” by those in charge of the Broncos defense/offense. I think they’re success is basically because of Manning and an OK defense. But Seattle has a whole program and philosophy built from the ground up by Coach Carroll where you’re either “all in” or you’re out. I think that might be the difference. Anyway…..

24. *Their success…

25. dawsonct says:

High praise indeed. The thing I remember most about Kenny Easley, was that whenever he tackled someone, it was always like he was trying to hit the guy behind the player. Consistently one of the hardest hitters I have ever seen play the game.

26. UKSeahawker says:

BIG fan of Kenny’s. So much so, I’ve set up a Facebook Group advocating his induction into the HOF.

Such a glaring omission, especially when you consider the brevity of Earl Campbell and Dwight Stephenson’s HOF careers.

Believe it or not, the great man himself has even passed by and joined in the fun (circa 2011/12). Some lovely comments and posts there and great to read too.

I’d love to see some of you gentlemen join up and spread the word too.

Thanks