Morning Links: Schneider on running the shop

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:33 am with 27 Comments »
January 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Good morning.

Today is my travel day, so posts here will be sporadic. The Seahawks are also off-limits today. They leave Sunday and land Sunday night. We’ll see them at the team hotel around 8 p.m. Eastern on Sunday.

Links:

> I wrote about our conversation with Seahawks general manager John Schneider.

> Our Craig Hill writes to not rule out the possibility of a Super Bowl in Seattle.

> Super Bowl flights are pricey and hard to find, at this point.

> As noted by you folks in the comments, Richard Sherman was fined for taunting in the NFC title game.

> A large 12th Man banner will fly over the Super Bowl.

> ESPN writes that Super Bowl ticket prices have plummeted.

> ESPN writes the Seahawks have harnessed Pete Carroll’s energy.

> Seahawks.com focuses on Steve Largent’s Super Bowl memories.

> The Seahawks are inviting fans to a sendoff at SeaTac. TNT writers are expecting the same turnout when they leave.

> Peter King says Denver DT Terrance Knighton will make life difficult for the Seahawks.

> King also went one-on-one with Richard Sherman:

> USA Today’s All-Joe team features four Seahawks.

> New Jersey, per usual, is taking a backseat to New York when it comes to the Super Bowl.

> Denver wideout Eric Decker says there is no need to match words with the Seattle secondary.

> Champ Bailey warns that Percy Harvin is very dangerous.

> The Denver Post writes Super Bowl players need to know the game doesn’t need their help to hype it.

1. Looks like we might get some type of snow for the Super Bowl. The wind doesn’t seem to be a concern which is what would really hurt Manning.

2. montanamike2 says:

He does OK in the snow, not so much when it’s cold.

3. montanamike2 says:

Too cold to snow.

4. “TNT writers are expecting the same turnout when they leave.” Actually got me to laugh out loud.

Well done, Todd

5. Southendzone says:

Yep, I got my Dave Boling throwback jersey out of the laundry for the TNT writer send off party.

6. I do think it would be rich irony if we beat Denver in a snowy Super Bowl and have Denver fans complaining that they lost because it wasn’t held in a warm weather location!

7. FleaFlicker says:

The rest of the country is certainly rooting against us.

From Public Policy Polling: “In the 5 yrs we’ve been polling who people want to win the Super Bowl it’s by far the most lopsided it’s ever been this yr, for the Broncos”

8. SandpointHawk says:

Good news FleaFlicker. That’s just the kind of Bulletin Board fodder this team needs.

9. thursday says:

Champ Bailey seems like a logical guy

10. SandpointHawk says:

Hope that’s not directed at any of your fellow TNT posters Duke… :)

11. Any information on the reffing crew, outside of the lead ref? I worry about another SB XL fiasco, where the first critical call was made by a zebra who was born and raised in Pittsburgh – so, any local Denver refs? or, Bronco fans hidden in somewhere?
    I think the only thing that could beat us is blown (or, deliberate) bad calls. We’re that much better than Denver.

12. Southendzone says:

That’s the only thing I won’t be able to take is if we lose due to multiple bad calls.

Peyton could go off and Denver beats us straight up, I will be upset but no big deal. I can’t take another SB40 though. In fact I wish we were playing those Steelers again because we were clearly the better team that year. Denver is 10x more scary than that POS Steeler team.

13. ChrisHolmes says:

49ers were the scary team. The only thing that concerns me with Denver is the illegal pick plays. If the refs let them do that all day, we’re in for a long one.

I like the match up otherwise. Peyton is going to make some plays, no question, but he hasn’t faced a defense like this all year.

14. rramstad says:

jbltzfk my understanding is it’s the same crew that officiated Saints at Seahawks.

Almost. McAulay (ref) and Carl Paganelli (umpire) did the Saint game but the rest of the crew is different.

16. jawpeace says:

The link Todd posted about ticket prices for the big game, the line that jumped out to me was, “”Everyone said a ticket was going to cost $3,000 each,” Silverman said. “But that was just to protect the brokers in case the relatively local teams like the Giants, Jets, Steelers, Eagles, Redskins or Patriots made it.”
    That is why I rooted for Denver in the early game. I did not want the Hawks to face the Patriots. Super Bowl XL in Detroit was stacked with fans from the Pitt. I did not want a re-occurrence in this game. And was very glad at the outcome.

17. slicktoxic says:

Hell, I could even handle “poor” officiating, as long is it’s not one-sided.
    Can not handle another SB XL…..I can still go on a rant when I think back to that one!!

18. If I’m going to the game, I’m literally buying tickets the day of the game and looking for face value. No rush here…

19. sluggo42 says:

If you notice, Denver players being very careful with their statements… Nothing from the hawks either..

Same as o5 till that ash hole Jeremy Stevens opened up his stupid pie hole…

20. montanamike2 says:

Stevens was/is a huge punk.

21. montanamike2 says:

Tickets are dropping daily because of the cold.

22. I love The Onion…they could probably do a great one on crazed, blog posting fans too.

23. kurtisballard says:

What did Jerramy Stevens say during media week again? Something to the effect of “yes, I believe that we are going to win.” ? All I remember is Joey Porter getting really angry and talking a lot about softness, then he got dominated by Walter Jones and I never heard his name again for the rest of his career.

24. from the Peter King article: Unger, the Seattle center, has had a so-so year run-blocking, and Pro Football Focus graded him poorly for his run play in both playoff games. The way Knighton is playing, you may see Seattle helping out on Knighton with extra chip-blocks or double-teams from guards. It’s a huge matchup in this game.

This is what worries me… We have struggled against good DL’s all year – if we can control the LOS even a little I think we are in good shape.

Again the key to winning for me is holding onto the ball. Get first downs. move the ball. Keep them on their side of the 50 as much as possible.

25. Unger making the Pro Bowl was a sad joke. Yes, he’s tough and played through injuries, but he was flat bad much of the year.

His blocking does worry me.

I’m more worried about the play of Sweezy and Breno though. And I’m really hoping to see Bowie at LG; but it seems Carrol is like Holmy and would rather play a guy who knows what to do–but cant do it–rather than play a rookie who may make mistakes but can actually play…sigh.