No other word for it, Harvin has been ‘frustrated’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:59 pm with 28 Comments »
January 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Percy Harvin talked with the media today for the first time since being knocked out of the divisional-round playoff game against the New Orleans Saints because of a concussion. Here’s what he had to say:

(On if he feels as good as he looks…) “Absolutely. I feel good. It was good to get back out there with my guys. I don’t think anybody is not feeling good going up to the most prized possession in our profession, the Super Bowl. Everybody is feeling good, we had a good first couple of days of practice and we’re looking forward to competing.”

(On him rooting extra hard in the NFC Championship game knowing that he would get one more chance to play this season if they won…) “Absolutely, but not only that it’s a win for my team. I’m always cheering my team on when I’m not on the field. So those guys pulled it out, I was rooting for them all of the way, and we get a chance to play in the Super Bowl.”

(On him being able to play in the Super Bowl after a roller coaster ride of a season he’s had in Seattle…) “Like you said it’s been a roller coaster, but it’s all been a blessing. I wouldn’t take anything back that has happened this year. It’s made me a stronger person. Like I said it’s definitely been frustrating for a lot of people, not only myself, but for my teammates Doug Baldwin and some of the guys that play my position coming in and out, not knowing when I’m going to be at practice. So it was definitely frustrating, but like I said it’s all over with now and we get a chance to play for the Super Bowl, so that’s all in the past.”

(On what his relationship with his fellow receivers has meant to him throughout the season…) “I can’t even put it in words. It’s guys like Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor being from my area, he came and talked to me a bunch of times, and it was things like that hearing that from my teammates, the coaches, people upstairs, just hearing it from everybody just giving me love kept me pushing. I’m very grateful for my teammates and like I said words can’t express how much those guys have been there for me.”

(On if his previous trouble with migraines in his career affected his recovery from his concussion…) “There were no complications; we just had to go through the protocol. We had to go through all of the steps, we went through them and they got me back on the field.”

(On what’s different about this organization than any other or the one that he’s familiar with…) “It’s unique on so many levels. The way they take care of the players, everybody is always on the same level with the way they treat people, with my situation at hand and my teammates being there for me, the whole building from the cooks on down, everybody was coming talking to me. Just this whole atmosphere. It’s kind of hard to put it in words, but it is different.”

(On Pete Carroll compared to other head coaches that he’s had…) “Each coach has their own way; I would say Coach Carroll is definitely a player’s coach. He’s very similar to when he recruited me at USC. He has the exact same personality as he had then.”

(On him being a big part of the game plan when he’s out there on the field…) “We’ll wait for the game to see, but like I said it felt good to be back out there.”

(On how his hip is feeling…) “It’s feeling pretty good. I got it tuned up yesterday, I did all of my MAT work and things like that so I’m feeling fine.”

(On what does he mean by getting it tuned up…) “Just getting my regular stretching in, MAT work, just all kinds of different treatments.”

(On if he feels like the Saints were targeting him at all…) “No. Like I said it was just us playing football, it was unfortunate, some of the hits that were caused in the game, but I didn’t think they were targeting me. I just thought they were playing football.”

(On what was it like watching the game Sunday and what was his reaction when the game ended…) “It was frustrating. That’s the word I’ll use. This whole year watching every single game was frustrating , but like I said having great teammates and great coaches felt good to be on the sidelines and watch those guys perform. Guys Like Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse, to watch those guys perform  it was good.”

(On what was it like for him to see Malcolm Smith seal the game with the interception…) “I couldn’t even describe how I felt at that time. I don’t think anybody could put in words to know that we actually made it to the Super Bowl. It was kind of surreal for me.”

(On if he felt like he was 100 percent when he played in the Saints game…) “I really don’t know if I was the exact same as I was in Minnesota. I felt pretty good, good enough to play in a football game so I’ll leave it at that.”

(On if he feels pressure on getting back to the amount of money the team is paying him…) “Not at all. I’m a football player and I’m confident in my game. It was unfortunate situations that happened with life, some things that I couldn’t control, but I didn’t look at money or anything to that degree. I just wanted to get on the field and help my team win.”

1. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

He needs to restructure his contract, or get cut next season. Too many key cogs to sign that contribute week in, and week out, for him to get paid so much. It’s outrageous.

2. So glad to have him healthy for the SB. I have no doubt he will have an impact.

Absolutely unbelievable being back in Seattle. I swear every 3rd person I see is wearing Hawks gear. Homes all around the state are sporting 12th man flags. Was back in Spokane for work – same thing over there. Fun to see 12th man signs on houses, businesses throughout downtown Seattle, flying over Bellevue, on the monorail today, cars everywhere. Saw several home made 12th man signs in the fields across WA State while driving back yesterday. Even the shady looking people in the streets of Seattle typically have a Hawk hat or scarf.

Saw today that we have the 2nd youngest team to ever make the SB. I’m starting to feel more and more like we’re going to win. Unbelievable focus from these young men from day 1. Would be amazing

3. thursday says:

Has to be frustrating to get questions like the one about money and pressure. Why would that make a difference? He has to be healthy in order to play. Sure he’s gonna be like, well since I’m making such a huge contract, I guess I’m better now. Not really how it works. He’s definitely not the first player in the history of the game to make big bucks and get knocked out for the season.

4. LV, I have been wearing my Seahawk gear around Vegas every day, the 49er gear here has mysteriously disappeared. Imagine that?

5. seahawkfan97 says:

speaking of uncomfortable $$$$ questions I was watching videos on nfl.com and one of them bimbos said she was picking Denver cause Branton Sherman said yes the superbowl was gonna be quite lucrative for the Sherman family…She thought that was tacky..AFTER HE WAS ASKED THE F ING QUESTION AND THEN CLARIFIED WHAT WAS BEING ASKED AND THEN ANSERED THE OBVIOUS AH YES IT WILL BE……PEESSES ME OFF…Sorry todd..so sick of the media some times….not all the time just some

6. raymaines says:

I love how Seahawk fans have embraced the “12″.

7. RDPoulsbo says:

I doubt Sherman changed anyone’s minds as to who to root for. They just have a convenient excuse that’s fresh in their minds. Only it’s a stupid excuse. It’s just convenient because they don’t have to dig through the cobwebs in their brain for a valid one.

A Wilson would say, just a bunch of noise.

lol. Its going to be very difficult for anybody to cut Harvin after he makes a bunch of big plays in the f’in super bowl, while Peyton Manning looks on with his jaw hanging open.

9. RDPoulsbo says:

Given the atmosphere surrounding the organization described by just about every player asked about it, sounds like a great advertisement for recruiting free agents. I’m sure there well be some kind of discount given to Seattle when guys begin to hit the market. Can’t sign everyone, but it might mean the difference for retaining one more guy. Compare that to Jacobs calling out Harbaugh yesterday on his way to retirement and you can see which location is more attractive should all things be equal.

10. Kingpear says:

Uh…NO! With the bonus paid, the cap penalty would probably be astronomical. The dead money cap hit would be around 10 million. If anyone is gone next year it is Sidney Rice. I think he will have between 1-2 million in dead money but there is 8.5 million reasons to do it if you know what I mean.

I love some of these comments. It’s not Madden or Fantasy as there are financial considerations. Considering all they gave up there is a 0.00000000001% chance of him being cut.

11. I’m jacked to hopefully see Harvin play an entire game. Finally.

12. MikeFromNewJersey says:

The Broncos will not be able to stop us with Percy flying around.

13. CHawkFanIn9erLand says:

I think the broncos will be able to move the ball early, but the defense will control the second half. By the middle of the third quarter we will be winning the physical match ups at the line of scrimmage, so it will come down to the skill players making plays.

14. banosser says:

Do any of you really care if the non Seahawks fans want the Hawks to win or not?? The vast majority of them are ignorant about the Hawks and the players comprising the team…

BobbyK: “I’m jacked to hopefully see Harvin play an entire game. Finally.”

No doubt!!

15. I don’t know if this has been posted or not, but this is a fantastic read well worth your time. I love it!

16. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I could care less who america is rooting for and wants to win!!. I kind of like being the underdog. Just ask Russell, Sherm and Angry Doug about being underdogs and what others think about them.

17. banosser says:

Fuel that intense fire!

18. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Im all fired up!! How many more days?

19. montanamike2 says:

This is awesome that we know how good our team is and didn’t get lucky to get here. We won some Brutal games this year and had a very tough schedule, no flukes here, this team is for real and one of the best assembled.

20. montanamike2 says:

Kam’s gonna lay out a few dudes.

21. I am America, and I am rooting for the Seahawks.

22. banosser says:

I can’t believe we have been teased with Harvin all season and now he is rock the SB for us… It even makes the anticipation that much greater.. if that is even possible lol..

23. A post I did on Michael Robinson. He is an inspiring leader for the Seattle Seahawks!!

24. VNHLNFAN says:

Back when we had to face Elway in the old AFC West it sure would be nice to now knock him out of the Bowl.. just saying

25. sluggo42 says:

I’ve hung my 12th man flag at my local watering hole for the game…,in SoCal. Covered the 49er pendent with it haha..

26. seahawkfan97 says:

Nice Sluggo

27. chuck_easton says:

Wearing my Wilson away Jersey to work on Friday the 31st and won’t take it off all weekend (except at night at which time the better/smarter/better looking half will likely try to wash it).

I’ve tried to say it CAN’T be washed until after the game but the whole ‘it’s only crazy if it doesn’t work’ thing falls on deaf ears in my home.

28. DisplacedSeahawkFan: “He needs to restructure his contract, or get cut next season.”

It is incredibly unfair to blame Percy for his injury or his contract. Hopefully he goes out and has a stellar game in the SB.