Morning Links: Sherman, Schneider and Wilson

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:40 am with 81 Comments »
January 23, 2014 12:40 am

Good morning.

Let’s get right to it:

> I wrote about what Richard Sherman had to say Wednesday. Per usual, it was a multi-faceted press conference with the multi-faceted Sherman.

> Our Dave Boling wrote about reclusive general manager John Schneider. Schneider was the at Senior Bowl yesterday watching the South team’s practice. We expect to talk to him Friday, so, stay tuned for that.

> We also had a notebook from yesterday leading with Russell Wilson talking about attending Peyton Manning’s passing academy when Wilson was in high school.

> A family in North Tacoma has swamped their yard with Seahawks signage.

Other stuff:

> Jim Moore writes Sherman’s rant overshadowed the win and the Seahawks’ play.

> Art Thiel’s take on Sherman.

> Here’s the full Sound FX clip from Sherman’s night against the 49ers.

> Terry Bradshaw has some interesting Super Bowl advice for Russell Wilson:

> Derrick Coleman continues to positively influence others with hearing disabilities. As we talked about before, this is one of the great benefits a Super Bowl platform provides.

> SI wonders if defense still wins championships.

> John Clayton writes the Seahawks are riding an old-school formula.

> The Browns are down to two candidates for their head coach position and are expected to meet with each Thursday, ESPN reports.

> The NFL confirmed Wes Welker’s hit on Aqib Talib was legal. Pick plays and crossing routes from Denver will be one of the prime concerns for the Seattle defense.

> A look from USA Today at how the Seahawks and Broncos have been crafty with the salary cap.

> USA Today also writes that the Broncos must be aware of Earl Thomas.

> Also from USA Today, it could be Super Bowl Saturday if the weather causes a problem in New York. The game could be any time from Friday Jan. 31 to Monday, Feb. 3.

> The Denver Post writes about the Broncos’ edge in Super Bowl experience.

> A New Jersey snowstorm gave MetLife Stadium a dress rehearsal.

1. banosser says:

Morning links is right lol.. it’s not even 1 AM!

2. montanamike2 says:

I was up when it posted, super early

3. SandpointHawk says:

Great way to start my day. Thanks Todd…

4. I hate those “super bowl experience” articles. Wow, the broncos went to the super bowl 15 year ago, that’s so relevant for today’s team

Here is a good slow-mo clip of the out of bounds hit on Lane.

I wonder if/when the NFL will look into this cheap shot?

I was wondering what Lane thought about the out of bounds cheap shot.

7. montanamike2 says:

McCain calling out Sherman as a loudmouth? Uh, do you think the fact that he lives in AZ and is a ‘Cards fan has anything to do with this?
    I’m glad he picked Denver to win since he hasn’t been right about anything in decades.

8. montanamike2 says:

Nice RADEoN
    Harbaugh is a female canine — either literally or figuratively — but every man is entitled to his opinion.

9. montanamike2 says:

I’ll enjoy holding a trophy up for Harbitch to see so he can grind his teeth. This may have been the Whiners last big shot before the team goes through extreme changes.

10. Not to dwell too much on the last game, but the amount of screen time they were giving Harbaugh on the TV broadcast was driving me crazy. I cannot stand the guy, but they kept showing him and his annoying rants/facial expressions throughout the game. I wanted to punch my TV.

11. aelliott11 says:

I probably have a minority opinion, but I think the SF assistant didn’t take Lane out on purpose. Lane was buzzing through the sideline and it appears to me the assistant braces himself and mistakenly turns his body into Lane’s path. I don’t see it as being intentional and I doubt he gets fined.

12. aelliott11 says:

OrrObb, you should have seen how much face time the refs give Harbaugh during timeouts. It’s insane. My whole section was going bananas. Every TV timeout 2 or 3 refs would go stand near Harbaugh and suffer through one of his tirades. I do not understand why they give him so much latitude, or why they constantly give him such an audience, or how this can’t be construed as an attempt to manipulate or steer the refs.

It’s BS.

13. Seahawkfan78 says:

The assistant leans into and lowers his body to make the hit to try and knock Lane down. It was on purpose… He should get fined and suspended for next year.

14. sluggo42 says:

Ya I agree Georgia, that was definitely on purpose. He wasn’t trying to get out of the way t all. He delivered a blow, and he needs a deep penalty of some sort.
    That was a total cheap shot

15. If knocking Lane down were an accident, the guy would have made some sort of move to help him up afterward or something. The fact that he just stood over Lane and made no other move tells me it was intentional.

16. Southendzone says:

Can Brandon Jacobs raise the 12th man flag next year sometime? I love that quote by him.

To me the Lane hit looks intentional. I went to the 49er’s staff page and tried to find someone it could possibly have been.

None of these guys look quite like that guy on the field, I thought maybe Greg Jackson (if he had grown a beard since the photo).

17. yankinta says:

This guy is the reason for our Seahawks Dynasty from 2012 to 2025…. We are SOOO BLESSED to have him!!! :)

18. MoSeahawk12 says:

Here’s a great video that captures the emotion, energy and excitement of Sherman’s deflection from lots of different angles, people in the stands, at bars and TV. Audio is a little distorted at beginning, but will make you smile. Enjoy.

19. chuck_easton says:

Well, not counting any chickens yet and am knocking every piece of wood in my office, but the Seahawks might have dodged a bullet:

While I feel bad for Quinn I’m happy for how this will help the D continue to excel next year. It’s obvious Quinn will get his chance. Maybe even after next season.

Thanks for posting that shot on Lane. I will be offering that up to all the 49er fans (and others) who claim Seattle is classless. Enjoy hypocrites.

21. Singularitarian says:

watched the game again today, man were those couple of screen passes effective. I have never understood why Seattle doesn’t throw them more. Get Golden Tate with the ball in his hand in space. Also it would be nice to convert 1 redzone trip. Just 1

22. RDPoulsbo says:

I remember when coaches would get flags for antics half as bad as Harbaugh’s. The refs will need to start doing that before putting him back in his crib next year.

23. doubledink says:

Singularitarian,
    Those screen passes seemed to help limit SF’s willingness to blitz too.

24. That video that MoSeahawk posted is awesome.

25. RDPoulsbo says:

The Browns are just a bad situation for Quinn all around. He’s young and will get his chance, but he lacks experience to be successful as a HC right now. In comparison, look at the bad situation Zorn found himself after leaving Seattle for the Redskins. Sure he was only hired as a coordinator (before there was a HC), but he didn’t have the experience to take on the role. One season and fired. He’s back to being a QB coach and not likely to get another shot at the top job. Quinn will have better opportunities in the next few years, but I wouldn’t hire him for a HC job with just 1 year of coordinator experience.

26. chuck_easton says:

If Harvin does make it onto the field on the 2nd of February, I think we will see more of the bubble screens. That particular play is one that Harvin has excelled at.

The fact that the team has it in the playbook and felt comfortable using Tate is an indicator that it is here to stay. But a healthy Harvin is the better option as the WR on the screen.

27. Jeffri Chahida was way off in this piece on Pete’s coaching style.

Of all the people to get a rare interview with Marshawn Lynch, I know wish it had been someone different (although his segment was pretty good). He’s also been very vocal as to Russell Wilson’s success being attributed to just being a good game manager. I hope that ‘game manager’ and the ‘rah rah college coach’ get the last laugh.

GO HAWKS!

28. I’m going to break everyone’s face in my area that calls Sherman classless. He went to shake Crabtree’s hand, and said “hell of a game, hell of a game” and got a hand to his face. I would be pissed off immediately after that.

29. rramstad says:

aelliott11 speaks the truth. I am in section 109 and during timeouts it was common for four or five of the officials to be over speaking with Harbaugh… of course, he was easily 10 yards into the field. On at least two occasions there was so much yapping going on that the other officials had to come over to get the game ready to start after the TV commercials finished. It struck me as completely ridiculous and over the top… normally there are two officials per sideline, and one is designated to speak with the coach… it’s rare that the head official comes to speak with the coach… but Gene was talking with Jim over and over again throughout the second half especially. Grrr!

I thought that the guy who hit Lane was already identified as their assistant strength and conditioning coach. To me, it is absolutely clear that it’s intentional, he steps forward into the path, hits Lane, and then steps back. Jim even sees it and looks worried or concerned or something, just a fleeting facial expression.

30. Hey everyone, pinch yourselves… are you sure this is real? If this is a dream, I don’t want to wake up for awhile!

31. wallinator says:

OnDemand sports talk w Big Time Guests Jon Kitna, Eric Williams, Bob Stelton, Jim Moore, Kenny Mayne, Aaron Levine, Mack Strong, Paul Moyer, & many more On the Double with The Double S Xpress! http://www.double-s-xpress.com/shows.html

32. Damn, I want to get a poster of the Immaculate Deflection to hang in my Man Cave.

33. thursday says:

I liked what Dave Krieg had to say actually. Very clear and to the point. And of course we all know now that Crabtree shoved Sherman after being offered a (albeit ill-timed) handshake, so besides the game adrenaline, he’s livid at Crabtree’s disrespect.

Honestly, the only thing worth apologizing for is what he did apologize for. Taking away attention from his teammates, but obviously he didn’t intend to do that either.

34. doubledink says:

Vegas56,
    I was calling it The Swat in contrast to the next edition of The Catch, but I like yours better.

35. thursday says:

Hah, I’d take that poster as well. Best play in football I’ve seen in some time.

36. That hit on Lane looks very intentional to me – and really does need to be addressed, terrible precedent for a player to have to worry about being decked by guys on the opposing team’s sideline. Breaks the code.

Love RW getting a word of advise from Bradshaw – that’s cool. Bradshaw’s Steelers’ SB’s are the first football games I can remember.

37. doubledink, I can’t claim it, I’ve heard that name floating around since Sunday night.

38. Southendzone says:

Awesome video post by MoSeahawk. That is required material for every Seahawk fan.

39. MoSeahawk12 says:

Thanks Vegas56 Southendzone. I’ve watched it three times this morning. It’s just such a great moment in the history of our team. I reacted the same way when Sherm tipped that to Smith. I must’ve jumped three feet into the air. So glad to be on the elation side of that game and not the soul crushing silence the 9ers fans experienced. Gets me pretty pumped up.

40. yankinta says:

LOL,, Erin Andrew Looked Mad cuz her producers cut the interview short…. nice pic!!

41. FleaFlicker says:

joreb: nice article from Chadiha in 2010. Holy smokes was that guy wrong!

“Give Pete Carroll about one year before he starts realizing the mistake he just made. By that time, he’ll be wondering why he resigned from USC to become head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. ”

Looks like PC got the last laugh…

I love how Sherman hugged Erin right before she asked her first question.

43. tealskin says:

Chadiha was far from alone in his opinions. Would say there were many in Seattle that agreed. Pete has silenced them in the best possible way.

44. CDHawkFan says:

Thanks Mo, that video is helping me realize where we are, it’s starting to sink in 5 days later.

45. Southendzone says:

Some folks were talking about getting a poster or framed print of the Sherm deflection, let me know if you find out a way to get that. I want one too, panaroma style, at least 20″ high by 34″ long. Mine is going to have part of the Al Pacino “Inches” speech engraved in metallic green letters under it.

Other pics I would love is Mike Robinson hugging a team-mate with tears streaming down his face, and Sherman, up in the crowd, looking back towards the field with his mean intimidator face.

46. How about putting a pic of the immaculate reception on our banner? That is the Beastquake of this year so far for me.

47. immaculate deflection, I mean. Franco Harris was a Seahawk for a few plays, though…averaged like 1.2 ypc. Couldn’t get to the sidelines fast enough.

48. I like “The Tip,” as someone mentioned the other day. They do have awesome photos on eBay of Sherman and that play. I looked at buying one last night. There’s one where it’s black and white except Sherman is in color that is really cool. They have plenty bigger than 8×10, but not exactly poster sized.

49. thursday says:

Good reason not to bother apologizing for anything to their whiny fans.

50. ChrisHolmes says:

Chadiha has frequently been wrong. I often wonder how he still maintains a job at ESPN.

51. You know what would be very funny…have some wealthy Seahawk fans donate a million bucks to the SF Children’s Hospital and put a big sign up near their new stadium with a still shot of Crabtree shoving Sherman in the face as Sherman offered his hand, with the caption: MEDIOCRE

52. Just curious – the NFL ruled that Welker’s hit on Talib was legal – it took Talib out of the game and that’s when Manning has his way. A big fork in the road to the Superbowl.
    Now, what happens when Welker tries the same thing with the LOB? I do believe it will be Welker missing the rest of the game. . . .

53. HawkfaninMT says:

Excpet as rub not a catch, but you get the idea…

I all seriousness, how is that play called? If Talib had seen Welker coming and he absolutely blew him up, would the DB be called for OPI? Holding? Personal Foul? Nothing?

I really feel like that would be worth a 15 yard flag in the 1st quarter to let the WRs know that if they are going to be doing that “rub” business they better have Thomas doing it because the LOB is bringing the wood

54. Check out thhis site…!

55. CDHawkFan says:

God, can’t we just talk about the last game and/or the up-coming game and not what happened after the last game?

Its really, really, really getting old and as you can tell, I really don’t care what anyone else has to say on it 5 days later.

56. ChrisHolmes says:

So the Browns hire Pettine…

Which is great for us because we get to keep Quinn. I have to wonder how much the recent pressure created by the press caused the Browns to offer to Pettine today, as opposed to waiting for Quinn to finish the Super Bowl.

Good for us though. Happy Quinn will be staying.

57. Quinn can learn from other coordinators getting head jobs too quickly, and losing them even quicker.
    What do you think? wait around a few years until Pete retires, and take over the Hawks while they are on top, not bottom.

58. Southendzone says:

Some people saying that it’s bad for coordinators of Super Bowl teams because a team really doesn’t want to postpone the HC hiring process and addition of the coordinator staff etc for so long.

So the Hawks winning Sunday hurt his chances.

59. RDPoulsbo says:

Pettine is not exactly a top name in the coaching pool. As much as we’ve liked Quinn, he’s not a top name either. It’s pretty clear the word has gotten around about how bad that organization really is. They won’t be able to get good free agents to go there for some time. It looks like the best scenario is they draft well (not likely), gather talent for a few years before they fire the FO and Pettine when they have a better reputation in league circles.

60. ChrisHolmes says:

I thought it was pretty telling when Josh McDaniels withdrew his name from consideration for the Browns job. I figured the way he flamed out in Denver, in spectacular fashion via the Tebow pick, he’d be a guy who would take any opportunity to fix his tarnished reputation. When he pulled out that said a lot about the Browns job, I thought.

They really are a mess as far as organizations go. I feel bad for their fans.

61. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153697199685551

The video at this link posted by MoSeahawk12 is pretty cool. Besides Seahawk fan reactions at the moment of the “immaculate deflection” it shows the reactions of a couple of groups of Niner fans.

You get to see them at the exact moment they realized their dreams had been pulverized into oblivion by Richard Sherman. It almost made me feel sad for them. But not quite.

If it snows, will the white shirts be bad for the Hawks? There is one more thing to be concerned about for you all. In bad weather its a lot easier to see an orange jersey than a white one.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

62. May just be me being a homer, but I think Welker is going to be very careful about trying to lay a pick on the hitters we have on defense. He might just want to be elusive remembering the shot he took from us last year as a Patriot.

63. If Welker tries to “rub” one of our DBs and gets “blown up” who do you think the penalty will be called on?

I hope the refs go into knowing that the Broncos try to push the limits on the pick plays, and the Hawks try to push the limits by being tough on the WRs, so the refs should just stay out of it.

64. Southendzone says:

Welker will go all out, he’s a tough dude. Not to mention he probably wants to atone for his superbowl history, that pass he dropped that probably cost the Pats the game.

65. freedom_X says:

Blowing up those pick plays and/or being aware of them and avoiding them will be important. But I don’t think Welker is going to be intimidated – he couldn’t do what he’s been doing his whole career if that were the case. But he physically can be worn down and battered.

The younger Broncos (the Thomases, Decker) might get surprised and react badly though.

66. RDPoulsbo says:

Thurmond speaking up about the Welker hit seems out of place. Not that he’s out of line, but rather just doesn’t seem like something he’d normally say. My guess is that’s a warning to not try that kind of stuff or he’ll get blown up.

I do think that was a legal play, but they are pushing the limits. Had Welker been blown up, it would have been just as legal. It might be something the competition committee looks at in the offseason though.

Vegas56 – I don’t know about that. Welker is a hard nosed, tough as nails player. He throws his body around like it’s someone else’s. He may pay the price for that against the ‘Hawks. But I wouldn’t expect him to shy away from laying a block over the middle.

68. rbuzby, if white jerseys are tougher for RW to see in snow which I assume you to mean, they are also tougher for Peytron to see. Advantage to both defenses.

69. Good point Galena. I just hope RW can see our guys ok. We wore the white tops last time in that stadium, so hopefully it will be the same result.

On the pick plays, to me it’s not about Welkers toughness, its about how the refs will call it. It was a no call in the AFC Championship. When the same sort of collision happens in the Superbowl, and Welker is carted off the field, I hope it is still a no call. I doubt it will be.

70. Maybe this has been answered. On pick plays, are we allowed to run over the guy who’s picking? I.e., if Welker can hit a cornerback, could the cornerback also deliberately hit Welker? Seems to me that might be a good way to slow down the pick play… (or would the refs throw a flag?)

71. Southendzone says:

Snappa, pretty sure you can not, at least outside of 5 yards of the LOS, I’d think it would be illegal contact with a WR. May depend on who initiated the contact, but you can’t blast them purposefully.

72. freedom_X says:

Problem is, if our guy is spending time blasting the “pick” player – the man our guy is covering gets wide open. Blasting the picker could only be done if it was part of a scheme where someone picks up the other receiver.

73. Thanks, South and Freedom. The good news, I think, is that Carroll and company are probably the best people to figure out what can be done about it.