Morning Links: Want to make a bet?

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:57 am with 143 Comments »
January 22, 2014 12:57 am

Good morning.

We’ll lighten the mood a bit to start what will be a busy day. Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman and Darrell Bevell meet with the media today.

The Seahawks are not obligated to put out an injury report today, so there will not be an official update on Percy Harvin’s status. He’s expected to practice.

Just to kind of get you situated with what is coming up: I go to New York on Saturday. Sunday night, the team arrives. We’ll have updates from the Sunday night press conference at the team hotel.

Tuesday, Jan. 28, is Media Day.

Meanwhile, here’s how Bovada in Las Vegas sees the odds on who will win Super Bowl MVP:

Peyton Manning (DEN) QB
Matt Prater (DEN)
Steven Hauschka (SEA)
Duke Ihenacho (DEN)
Michael Bennett (SEA)
Zach Miller (SEA) TE
Field (Any Other Player)

I’d be curious to know the record for fewest regular-season snaps an MVP of the Super Bowl has played.

Links:

> Our John McGrath writes that the Seahawks are being painted as the bad guys, and that should be embraced.

> I encourage everyone to watch this Marshawn Lynch interview he did with NFL Japan a few weeks back and think about how he interacts with local media.

> I wrote about the shuffling at offensive line in the playoffs, and how it proves Pete Carroll is more than willing to take the unorthodox approach.

> Our Don Ruiz is with the Broncos and writes that Denver is going to focus on preparation as much as possible this week before the circus starts in New York.

> Opera star Renee Fleming will sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl. As you can imagine, she doesn’t mess around. Perhaps she can take some advice from Moon about how to hit the high note.

> The Everett Herald writes the Seahawks are built on players with the “grit” Pete Carroll is looking for.

> Bookies and the league are wary of the influence of weather on the Super Bowl (which again makes you wonder why it is in New York).

> Seahawks.com focuses on covering the fade pass.

> A look at the massive disparity in salary and cap hit between Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning.

> Howard Bryant at ESPN wonders if commissioner Roger Goodell is looking to add games and revenue at the expense of player safety.

> Some trash-talk has hit billboards in Denver.

> Don Banks at Sports Illustrated crunches some numbers associated to Manning and Wilson.

> A review of the NFC championship game from Pro Football Focus.

1. > The shriek heard ’round the world (or Puget Sound) from Warren Moon on Richard Sherman’s deflection that led to Malcolm Smith’s interception. The “Immaculate Deflection” as it’s been labeled.

He can also be heard on the Avril strip sack when Bennett picks it up..
    He was delirious yelling ‘Go Michael Run Michael Go Michael’
    I have the audio to both.

2. Tate might not be a bad bet at 25-1. A TD or 2. Long punt returns.

3. CDHawkFan says:

A better bet on Tate is that he stops running once he has finished his route. I saw it on the 2 replays where Fox showed what was happenning down field when RW was running around. Baldwin was running, Tate was taking in the sights, guess who ended up with the target, the UDFA.

4. Todd, what did the local media do to burn Marshawn so bad that he would rather have his teeth pulled than talk to them? It had to be something. Someone close to him in the ESPN interview that a aired a month or two ago said that if he was let down or screwed over by someone that he would never forget it. It’s fairly obvious that that is the case here with the media. Personally I could care less if he gives interviews or not. It won’t cause me to buy a newspaper or not. I understand he has obligations with the NFL to meet with the media occasionally but in my experience, sometimes the less I know about people the better. Iv’e soured on more than a few athletes, actor and musicians whose work I once enjoyed after I heard them open their yaps. I like what the Beast does on the field for the Seahawks. That’s enough for me.

5. Southendzone says:

Marshawn with the Japanese reporter lady was terrific! Dude is so cool.

As for the Raible call / Warren Moon yelp, I’ve already listened to that nearly 10 times. That is a thing of beauty, guaranteed to make you smile if you are a Hawks fan. Reminds me a lot of the Auburn color guy freaking out on that crazy play where they won the Iron Bowl.

Just as a point of information: Bovada is run by a company out of Canada, not Las Vegas.

Speaking of odds, the Hilton opening line had Seattle -2, but with 45 minutes it had shifted to Seattle as +1.5. 3 point swing in under an hour? That’s amazing. I don’t recall seeing an opening line adjust that dramatically before.

I’m pulling for Russell Wilson as Super Bowl MVP.

If Percy Harvin is MVP it will be a blowout imo.

I had to laugh when I read this comment from the Howard Bryant article about the NFL possibly adding more playoff games in the future.

“Don’t get excited, Cleveland. They are adding a couple teams, not all of them.”

9. wallinator says:

Talking Seahawks with Mike Ferreri of KOMO & Kenny Mayne of ESPN OnDemand at http://www.double-s-xpress.com/shows.html Give it a listen and let me know what you think! Interviews w former Beat Writer Eric Williams & Seahawk QB Jon Kitna as well!

10. hawkfan777 says:

On the McGrath article.

It is ridiculous for a group of good guys to embrace a label of bad guy. Their actual character does not match this label. There are a couple of guys in the secondary, and one receiver that can be brash, outgoing and too loose with their emotions but they cant represent the whole team. There are also many guys that are quiet, considerate, caring and very level with their emotions. Thousands and thousands of kids look up to these players. What they need is their marketing department (and the team) to come up with a game plan to paint a more accurate picture of the remarkable players and their contributions to their communities. We may somewhat know it locally but the story needs to be told nationally.

Sorry, but I just cant agree with that idea.

11. davidste says:

OK, I did the comparison with Japanese reporter vs. local media.

Cute Japanese girl giving candy and flirtatiously giggling.

Cynical, snarky reporters asking inane questions which can mostly lead to boredom or if things go badly, a barrage of racist death threats.

Hmmmm. I don’t know how Marshawn can tell the difference!

12. RDPoulsbo says:

Hate to break it to people, but the villain label set in last year alter the GB game. The most visceral reaction to the hail mary was directed at the team. Not the replacement refs. No one’s going to break that label overnight. It is what it is, no matter how wrong it is. Psychologically, 1 negative outweighs 10 positives and the national media have been ginning up plenty of negative.

I think Baldwin has a lot of value. Tate and Harvin will draw Denver’s best coverage, leaving him open. Look at what he did to SF and they have a deeper secondary. That Kearse TD could have easily been Baldwin’s. 130 yards and a TD would have been a strong argument for MVP had that been the SB.

13. Duke, yesterday I got the Hawks at +2.5…Bronco fans are pretty arrogant and they are flooding in the early money. I felt like the casinos were giving me some of that Bronco money when I made my bet! The line will move back I suspect over the next 10 days as cooler heads prevail. I just feel really happy that I jumped yesterday and got the points and even money too.

They definitely were. And yes, as Vegas swells with people toward the middle of next week, I too can see the line correcting itself.

15. RDPoulsbo says:

I don’t think just Bronco fans can move the longer that much so quickly. I think its a lot of stupid fans acting impulsively. I’ll call it the Sherman effect. Take a page from him and thank the a-holes on the internet for contributing to your success.

16. seahawkNJ says:

I wouldn’t worry about the bad guy image. Every angle will be covered and recovered over the next two weeks. People are going to base their opinions on the Sherman/Andrews interview, and not read the dozens of articles posted the next day on his background, or their personal interactions with him. That’s just the way it is. Personally I would embrace the bad boy image…it’s a nice change.

17. yankinta says:

lol,, can’t wait to See RW picks apart CHAMP and while Peyton gets picked a few times by our Chump and LOB…. Denver will have a nightmare in 10 days…. :)

18. yankinta says:

Yup Yup,, this is why I have no respect for Elway as a GM…. so far, He bought Peyton Manning and inherited 90% of the talent in Denver….

19. TallyHawk says:

I’d be tempted to throw some money on Michael Bennett for Super Bowl MVP. He makes plays every game and is always around the ball. I could see him having a couple sacks and a fumble recovery, maybe for 6.

20. montanamike2 says:

Last night i met up with STTBM for some BBQ and then a couple of drinks down the street. Super nice guy and a good family man, it was my first time meeting anyone from the blog and a real positive experience, glad i went. People can be so cool in real life.

21. sluggo42 says:

Cool, Montana, I’ve know slave only throughout he blogs for a few years now, and he has always been one of the coolest dudes. Glad to hear it’s the same in real life.
    Cheers to the both of ya!

22. montanamike2 says:

Thanks Sluggo.

23. vichawkfan says:

The Denver money heavy on the recreational bets I. E fans that only bet once a year. The wise guys are licking their chops.

24. We all know about the Irvin, Browner, and WTIII suspensions. Besides the recent DUI, have any Seahawks players broken the law or been suspended this season? I can’t think of any. Any help would be appreciated?

25. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tally, i put 20 bucks on Bennett and 100 on Percy. i truly believe harvin is deference in this game. don’t get me wrong the D will do what this D does and that is make Manning a very unhappy guy. i almost feel sorry for him…almost. Pats is best D they faced all year at 10, they scored 3 above the points apg of the Pats. i hate to say it but 17 points against the Hawks won’t do it. i think Manning lays an egg in this one and Hawks D makes him pay.

26. montanamike2 says:

Manning built his stats against mostly mediocre teams in the AFC. This will be different.

Montana – That’s awesome. So cool you two were able to meet up.

Random question for you: is the Half Moon Saloon still around, just a couple miles past the Big Sky turn off?

28. montanamike2 says:

Yes it is Duke.

29. raymaines says:

Does John Moffett count?

30. TallyHawk says:

I could easily see Percy as MVP. I would say if it’s an offensive player it would be him or Lynch. If I was putting money on it it would be hard to pass up the odds on Bennett.

The year I spent in Big Sky, that place was like a second home. Lol

32. montanamike2 says:

I hope Wilson is MVP.

33. montanamike2 says:

Or Lynch.

34. montanamike2 says:

I love it here Duke. I came 15 years ago to rescue my dad from the CUT,(cult) and never wanted to leave.

35. montanamike2 says:

16 years now.

36. tealskin says:

Sure hope people aren’t basing expectations off the preseason results. As I recall, Peyton played one series and picked the Hawks apart but they settled for field goal. Maybe this is the usual fan buildup but the only way this is a Hawks blowout is if Peyton is under heavy pressure.

37. Assuming the Seahawks win the game, I would say the highest realistic probability of an offensive player being SBMVP would have to be Marshawn.

38. Southendzone says:

For Harvin to win the MVP it will almost certainly take a kick return TD and 1 or 2 receiving TDs.

If Denver wins the game, I can’t conceive of anyone but Manning winning it. Any Denver player on the board but Peyton seems like a waste.

For a long-shot pick, why not Doug Baldwin at 40/1? What has he done this year but made clutch catch after clutch catch, followed up with a few great returns?

How do you like that story? Undrafted receiver out of Stanford fights his way to a spot on the Hawks. Plays a huge role in the 2013 season and then the playoff run and wins the MVP?

D-Lineman have only won the MVP 2 times ever (3 players though, once it was co-MVPs). QB’s and WR’s are the way to go.

39. rramstad says:

Yeah, my takeaway is that Marshawn is capable of being friendly to strangers when they are friendly to him — they talked with him as if they were fans and very happy to meet him, and brought him candy — but he feels uncomfortable speaking with local media, either because of the surround i.e. press conference style public speaking situations, with many people around OR he isn’t interested in faking it i.e. some of the media probably try to act buddy buddy with him, and he won’t reciprocate, so he looks like a bad guy when he’s just being honest. He knows the media aren’t his friends. There’s a HUGE difference between getting asked questions by someone who you see every week, who asks you questions every week, and those questions are in a room with 10, 20, 30 people, and every word is being recorded and transcribed and put into articles, vs. having a couple three interesting Japanese people show up with candy.

I loved the interview and it makes me think the obvious, which is that the media would do a lot better to have single media figures speak with Marshawn, one on one, in a setting that he’s comfortable in, and I bet the results would be great. As opposed to yelling questions with him at a podium.

40. That Marshawn interview is Gold. It’s amazing how he is in front of the camera when he WANTS to. I love it. Showing his true personality. Love it

41. Palerydr says:

RDPoulsbo I have a lifelong buddy, and Packers fan, who to this day still says that call was the worst in the history of the NFL. Lets just say we(my buddy and I) disagree.

I don’t read all the comments so this might have been posted before but not everyone thinks Sherman is a bad guy.

42. MoSeahawk12 says:

Enjoyed the Lynch interview. He was very generous and engaged. He thanked each person that sent candy. He seemed very comfortable and appeared very cool. One of my favorite players. It will be interesting next week when they have the massive media day and other countries get to spend some time with him.

43. I’d say the QB (Wilson) is most likely to be named MVP. That’s the position that wins it more than any other position and the Denver defense is nothing like what we’ve gone up against for over the last month. Plus, not only is the Super Bowl defense the worst we’ve faced in a long time (which, agreed, will help Lynch too) but now we add our most dynamic offensive playmaker (Harvin) back into the equasion and it’s looking good for Russ to make some plays in the big game. The Broncos defense is going to be set up to take away Lynch and that will leave Wilson with plenty of opportunities to take advantage of the situation. I know defenses have been doing that lately and Wilson hasn’t been putting up good numbers but, again, the Broncos don’t have a defense like the 49ers, Cardinals, etc. and we haven’t had a full game from Harvin either to help take advantage of them putting all those guys in the box.

Russell Wilson, Super Bowl XLVIII MVP, “book it” lol :)

44. Southendzone says:

Todd is going to dress up like that Japanese reporter next time he’s in the locker room. He’ll get the best Marshawn Lynch exclusive interview ever.

45. chuck_easton says:

I agree BobbyK. The largest percentage of MVP’s have gone to the winning QB almost be default.

I think this is possibly the year that this trend gets broken when (not if) Seattle wins.

I could easily see Lynch getting MVP if he has a Beastmode day with 100+, a few quake runs, and two (or more) TD’s. That would overshadow Seattle’s passing game.

I could also see the extreme rare case of a D player being named SB MVP. Say we have a repeat of Sunday with the final Sherman play. My bet is there would have been quite a few MVP votes for Sherman for that one play alone.

What I see as the longest of long shots is any Seattle WR getting the MVP ala Jerry Rice. Even if Baldwin, Harvin (crosses fingers), or Tate have a monster day the national media looks at our WR’s as mediocre to average at best. Any WR goes off on a big day the credit will go to Wilson so we would be back to scenario #1.

Not that I would complain about ANY Seahawk getting the SB MVP nod because that would mean we WON!!!!!!

Honestly, Seattle wins the game and they can give the MVP award to the equipment manager who made sure the players all had the prper cleats for the turf and weather. I’d be thrilled and would hang his poster on my bedroom wall.

46. I’m going to put money on “other” because that means I’ll have money on Michael Bowie – whether he’s active or not!

47. RDPoulsbo says:

Palerydr, notice that it was all somehow all the Seahawks fault and should have apologized and forfeited the win to GB? This is a great blog because we discuss football on a high level, but just spend a couple minutes reading through comments on nfl.com or some other site. You’d get the impression that the average football fan has been taking hits of acid on a daily basis since they were 7 years old or something.

The QBs are the easy picks for SB MVP. That’s why the odds are so low. At 50-1, just $10 on Baldwin could net you $500. Not that bad for a flyer bet. I wouldn’t go with defense either. You’d have to create a couple turnovers, then run them back for TDs to even be considered.

48. Southendzone says:

Good one Bobby! IN fact, Bowie was probably the MVP of the 49’er game even inactive. He sat out on purpose to let Carp get some experience and glory.

49. aelliott11 says:

I would love, love, LOVE it if Harvin won MVP of this game. If he goes out and returns a kick for a TD and nabs 100 rec yds and just blows up. Because THEN I could say the trade and the money was totally worth it, and THEN I could laugh in the face of very Vikings fan around here that says we got fleeced.

And also it would probably mean Seattle won the Super Bowl.

50. echoing others – – that Lynch interview was a revelation. really interesting to see how laidback & friendly he is when he’s not being completely on-guard. as someone else said, I wonder when/how he got burned such that he puts on that protective shield now.

51. aelliott11 – Where are you from with all the “Vikings fans around here?”

52. I have not been able to keep up with all the articles and comments the past couple days…has goldengate nate reared his head at all after the game?

53. I think a lot of Lynch getting burned was by the media when he was in Buffalo. There was quite a bit of crap documentation that he was a jerk and part of the reason the Bills let him go on the cheap. The $20 bill story is what I’d put my money on with respect to him really getting turned off and not wanting to talk to the media (I wouldn’t either).

54. jboard – Yes he was… and he was quite classy about it.

55. RDPoulsbo says:

There was some beat reporter named Sal Maiorana in Buffalo what dubbed him Moron Lynch and constantly hounded him. I’m pretty sure that’s the reason he’s been stiff arming beat reporters.

56. Wasn’t he the one who first reported the $20 incident?

57. ReneragMexicoHawk says:

About adding games the NFL should add one extra game per team that game should be played in a neutral field in a city that hasn’t a team (LA, Orlando, OKC, San Antonio)or in foreign city (Mexico, London, Toronto, Tokyo). To make this work the preseason schedule will be reduced to 3 games.

58. seaturkeys says:

Sherman was mic’d during the 9ers game and it will be on Showtime at 6pm.

59. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m not sure who reported the $20 incident, but it is a pretty bad breach of media integrity to openly be grinding your axe like that. The sad thing is this is how guys like Skip Bayless move up and get shows on ESPN.

60. How does the Seahawks Offense not score 30+ in this game? They excel at taking advantage of average to below average defenses.

I’m actually not sure how the Seahawks Defense will do. The only good QB they faced away from home was Luck and he had his way with them.

61. MoSeahawk12 says:

I’d love to see Marshawn get 135 yards and two TDs with Turbin gaining an additional 60 yards or so. Russell Wilson can add another 30 and maybe we even see Christine M getting a few carries late and break off a 50 yarder for another score. If these guys can run as effectively as they have against the tougher D’s of the Saints and 9ers, then we should be able to keep Manning off the field for long stretches of game. I like are chances here a lot. Denver’s going to score, but not as much as usual. I think 24 points wins this one.

62. yankinta says:

Denver and Fools like this guy, Jeff C. are in for Rude-Awakening….. I can totally see RW coming out and running around making plays/throwing bombs against Denver’s 19th ranked Total D and 27th Ranked Passing Defense….. and Seattle Winning by 42-17 and RW winning the Super Bowl MVP….. :)

63. pabs – I agree. I don’t think scoring points is going to be a problem for the Seahawks in this game. I don’t expect our defense to totally shut down Manning, but if they can keep the Broncos under 27 points, I really like our chances.

16/29 for 229 doesn’t exactly qualify as “having his way” with them, in my book. And 73 of those came on Hilton’s TD with that busted coverage.

65. thursday says:

Wow I didn’t even know there was an NFL Japan and they just randomly came to the VMAC to interview Beast? That’s great lol. Liked when he pointed out the one guy wasn’t wearing a Seahawks jersey.

If we hold Manning to 16/29 and 229 yards I will be very happy.

67. SlickToxic21 says:

I hope I don’t regret this…..but I was nervous/worried about our game against New Orleans. I mean, even though we blew them out the last time….how possibly are we going to be able to stop Brees again, and hold Graham, Colston, Sproles, etc….and with Seattle’s offense struggling. Then it was San Fran…..on a huge roll…how will we be able to beat this team, they’re healthy and sooo good. Clearly one of the top two teams in the league.
    They take care of those two teams….in brilliant fashion.
    I just don’t see how they could lose to Denver. I mean it’s basically Peyton Manning and his receivers. Defensively average to below average. I don’t think their special teams are anything to worry about.
    This could be a comfortable Super Bowl victory for our guys.
    Am I wrong? Peyton won’t be able to go crazy against our D….and our offense should be able to dominate their D.
    I’m not nervous at all….and I probably should be.

Slick – I’m feeling the same way: confident.

69. thursday says:

Lol @ all the trash talking coming out of Denver. They’re gonna get a whole lot of “you wanted this noise” coming back at them if the Hawks win. Not to mention that I’m not sure poking the beast in this instance is a good idea lol. These guys have enough chips to last them a lifetime.

70. Did anybody else notice last game how through three quarters it seemed like every single bounce was going the way of the 49ers? I mean the fumbles kept going back to their guys and at least one punt bounced just perfectly to pin us back. It just seemed like we were doomed by the bounces that were 50-50 bounces but seemed to be going for the 49ers 100-0. Champions overcome many things and we got the job done.

I don’t think that that Patriots team the Broncos beat was very good. It was certainly one of the weaker Patriot teams I’ve seen in the last decade-plus. If you would have told me who their three most important players were at the start of the year, they lost two of them due to injury (Wilfork & Gronk) and then Talib got hurt early. I don’t think that Chargers team the Broncos beat was very good either. Even though they beat the Bengals, going into the play-offs I thought the Eagles and Chargers were, by far, the two worst teams to make the post-season.

We have been pretty healthy and now we’re adding back one of the most dynamic WRs in the NFL for the game.

I think things are set up pretty well, too.

71. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

couldn’t agree more Bobby

72. Seahawkfan78 says:

The seahawks havent played a defense ranked this bad since weeks 9(Tampa) 10(Atlanta) 11(Minn). They should be able to move the ball with no major issues. The best Defense vs a great offense is keeping them on the sideline as long as possible. Run Lynch, Turbin, and Robinson as much as possible.

73. SlickToxic21 says:

For all the 49ers fans complaining about officiating….which is something that both bothers me and I can relate to because of the SB XL officiating debacle……
    But in Sundays game, no question Bowman should have had that INT…but thankfully they got it back on the next play with better field position.
    Should have been a 15 yarder on Maragos’ roughing the kicker instead of 5.
    But now let’s talk about the sideline guy knocking Lane down out of bounds on a play where they fumbled the ball….could’ve easily been recovered by Lane if he wasn’t mauled out of bounds.
    Also, Kaepernick kicking the ball after he had fumbled, which went through our players and up to Goodwin, who recovered for them.

Seems to me overall, it was a wash on calls, bad calls, and there shouldn’t be anyone complaining about officiating costing them the game.

74. well – – i’m still nervous, when Manning gets on a roll, that Denver offense is a machine. Nobody has four targets on the level of Demarius Thomas, Decker, Welker, and Julius Thomas.

If we can do two things: run the ball and sustain drives; and get pressure on Mannig; I think we’ll be right there with them.

But, you know, I was so keyed up to beat SF and get to the SB, that there’s a part of me that feels like I’m playing with house money right now. Less stressed about this game than the one we just won.

75. Southendzone says:

The other thing about the Pat’s game is that’s in Denver. Don’t forget Denver has a great home field advantage of their own which isn’t going to travel to NY. The fans at this game aren’t gonna do a ton of cheering either way, its so corporate.

Everything laid out PERFECTLY for Denver to beat NE last week. 60 degrees, sunny, home field, Talib knocked out early, Brady missing 2 wide open deep throws early.

With all that, Denver’s offense still scares me a lot.

76. Wow, I just watched that video with Marshawn and the candy.

Something tells me he’s going to miss the super bowl with “flu-like symptoms”

77. If you have a good story and want to make it great, add an underdog, hero, and villain. It stirs up emotions that help us better identify with players, brings us together as fans (for and against), and makes it easy to choose sides.

If you’re a 49ers fan, Sherman is a thug. If you’re a Seahawks fan, he grew up in Stockton, beat the odds, went to Stanford, was overlooked until the 5th round, and is now the best CB in the NFL and the most misunderstood player in the league.

78. I don’t think Seattle is going to run away with the game, although I do like their chances. Just can’t make any stupid first quarter mistakes.

Look at who Denver has played.

They allowed over 20 points in 12 games this season (OAK, HOU, vs KC and JAX are the 4 exceptions)

They allowed:

BAL – 27
    NYG – 23
    DAL – 48
    IND – 39
    NE – 34
    @KC – 28
    TEN – 28
    SD – 27

Seattle’s offense is on pace with all of these offenses. The defense is way better.

Do I expect the defense to hold Manning to nothing? Hell no.

Do I expect them to slow him down considerably?
    Hell yes.

If they can slow him down enough to keep pace, I like their chances. Although I do have a feeling RW goes off for a billion yards.

79. Todd,

Try bribing Lynch with candy next time you hit him up for an interview…that video was great!

80. montanamike2 says:

I’m with all the confident guys on this. This morning i turn on the NFL network and they did a 180 on Sherman, now he’s the good guy that’s misunderstood and does endless charity events and on and on. How things change in the NFL. I also think we were by no means blown out to the Colts at home. Brady had made the final four with a group of nobodies, (except a few), and the AFC is equivalent to a mediocre NFC team at best.
    Manning was throwing to wide open guys all the time,(bad defenses) and they lost Vonn Miller for the year, who is inarguably a game changer. Manning might be 1 Bennett or Avril sack from being Christopher Reeves.

81. ChrisHolmes says:

I’m sitting here watching Rachol Nichols’ interview with Richard Sherman, and he’s got those long dreads and all I can think is, “Richard Sherman IS the Predator…”

82. If there are strong winds on Superbowl Sunday, I think the Seahawks will blow out the Broncos.

83. I am very confident in this game, unlike last week and even some of previous games against the NFC West opponents. I can’t believe I got 2.5 points and even money yesterday. I think the media craze made for a lot of nutty bettors in the first couple of days. The Manning and Elway names. Everyone in the media is saying that Denver’s defense is respectable…OK, it is acceptable against markedly weak opposition. And Denver has too many weapons…oh really, and San Francisco and New Orleans don’t? San Francisco and New Orleans also played tougher defenses and they have plenty of premier weapons.

The Vegas odds-makers posted the Seahawks as two point favorites before the flood of Denver money came in Sunday night and Monday. The line will move back once the professional money comes in next Thursday-Saturday. But I suspect a lot of pros are looking at getting those points and may start moving in while they can get them.

84. I’m starting to get the impression that Todd doesn’t really care for Marshawn. This is the second time I recall him giving Marshawn a subtle jab. The last time he mentioned something about Marshawn only talking to promote his t-shirt sales. I see this as Marshawn accomodating a guest. Be yourself, Marshawn.

85. Somebody mentioned that Showtime will have the audio from Sherm & Crabs being mic’ed up… I assume that will be on Inside the NFL?

NFLN is promoting it on their Total Access show tonight.
    4,8&11pm on my guide.

86. I think the real play here is the over folks. After going through the Saintsx2, NYG, SF×2, Arizona and STL, the Denver Defense is going to seem like the Cowboys Defense.

87. Everything I heard on TV before last week’s games was that whoever played for the NFC in the SB would easily win.. Now, Not so much..

88. I think we could be set up pretty well to beat Manning. Dude can’t score when the DEN D is on the field. With the way the Hawks are built, I like their chances to hopefully put together some long drives. Though the DEN rush D is top 10, Marshawn did have a good day against the Niner’s top 5 D.

This could tilt even more if the weather isn’t great for passing.

89. SandpointHawk says:

Re: “If you’re a 49ers fan, Sherman is a thug. If you’re a Seahawks fan, he grew up in Stockton…”

Richard Sherman grew up in Compton which would never be mistaken for Stockton if you’d been to the two towns…

90. Southendzone says:

arna6, definitely agree with your opinion there. More than 1 occasion I’ve got the feeling that there is resentment towards Marshawn from Todd that’s related to his lack of cooperation with the media.

If you watched the E:60 on Marshawn, one of his former coaches mentions he is slow to trust people, and if he was called out by reporters in Buffalo, it’s easy to see why he doesn’t want to talk to the masses each day, but doesn’t mind eating a bag of candy with the Japanese reporter.

91. banosser says:

WOW… This board is over flowing with confidence… I’m confident the Broncos won’t blow us out.. but to be calling the Bronco D garbage is ridulous.. They where ranked the exact same as us in rushing D.. same yrds given up same rushing attempts.. Granted they don’t have the LOB but my guess is we aren’t going to come out slinging it.. PC will try to shove it down their throats and control TOP.. Don’t get me wrong.. I’m confident in a Hawks win also but I sure ain’t counting on a blow out.. Denvers gonna run blitz all day long.. just like SF did to disrupt RW, just like AZ did.. Hopefully Bevel/PC are patient enough to hit the short pass and look for YAK.. that will hopefully loosen Denver’s D up for the second half… If our front 4 can put consistent pressure on Manning (and that ain’t a given) things will be easier… but that is wait and see…

92. montanamike2 says:

We’ll have Harvin too, that’s going to be tough to cover Wilson, Beast and Harvin in the cold.

93. montanamike2 says:

A win, doesn’t have to be a blowout, just a win!!

94. Not sure if anyone has seen this but its wonderful. A video of a bar full of 9er fans watching the last play of the game. Aside from their silence, the one guy who is talking sh*t isn’t even wearing any 49er gear or anything red for that matter. And he goes on to say, “i hate seattle and i hope they die” hahahaha, must watch!

95. ChrisHolmes says:

It’s a FG game if we win it. There won’t be a blowout. I can’t see a blowout either way. Our defense is too good for Manning to hang a lot of points on it, and our offense isn’t good enough to run away with this game.

This is going to be just how PC wants it: defense, low scoring, a couple big plays (turnovers, special teams) will decide it.

I like our chances a lot. I think 49ers were a tougher matchup, and I think our ability run on them preps us well for Denver.

My only concern is defending the pick plays, because you know Denver is going to run them all day long. Manning doesn’t have the arm strength to run a vertical offense all day long anymore. He has to rely on all those pick plays and crossing routes to get guys open underneath, and his accuracy to get guys the ball so they can run after the catch.

If we can figure out a way to defend that stuff (and our enforcers in the middle should help a lot here) then I really like our chances to keep the game in control and in a point range where we can win it in the 4th.

96. SlickToxic21 says:

Broncos D is not garbage….but they are average at best…esp without Von Miller.
    Denver has a great set of receivers along with a very good TE….not sure they are THAT much better than NO’s and SF’s overall.
    The difference is Manning, and his ability to get them those balls. They have not even come close to facing a D like ours….but we’ve had a few games facing an O, “close” to theirs.
    Again, I won’t be overconfident…I just feel a lot more confident than I did when we were playing NO and SF.

We won’t have to worry about Manning taking off on a run….if he does, it will be a 1-yd run. So pressure Manning, get a bump on his receivers, and cover the slot as best you can against Welker….and we are looking at what should be our 1st Super Bowl.

And if it’s cold and snowy, well they aren’t going to beat us with their running game.

97. RDPoulsbo says:

I was predicting a 3 point win over SF. A little worried, but hoping some CLink magic would pull them over the top. They were the toughest opponent in the playoffs and built to beat Seattle’s strengths.

Well, Seattle’s strengths are built to beat Denver’s strengths. A timing dependent QB that runs worse than Edgar Martinez and throws ducks isn’t something Denver should be confident about going into a cold and potentially windy Met Life Stadium. Not saying Peyton is bad, but he does have chinks in his armor and a press scheme with good pass rushers will make it tough on him. The secondary also allows for Kam to stay in the box pre-snap, so Manning won’t be calling many audibles for runs. Besides, Moreno?

As for their defense, no, I’m not worried about a group that allowed more passing yards and gave up the same amount of passing TDs as Jacksonville.

98. ChrisHolmes says:

Oh man… the silence…

Awesome. Couldn’t happen to nicer fans.

99. yankinta says:

Broncos D may or may not be Garbage. But their Pass Defense in 27th Ranked in NFL…. now that’s a Fact. RW will have a great Stats day…. :)

100. montanamike2 says:

jboard1 that was a great video.

101. New cover of SI is awesome (“The Tip”).

Not only do the Broncos not have Miller, they lost their nickel CB in the play-offs too. Does anyone know if Denver has had any other significant losses to their defense.

Like New England, Denver overcame two HUGE losses this year. Had you told me prior to the start of their season who their most important players were after Manning – I’d have said Ryan Clady (the All Pro LT) and Miller (especially after they lost Elvis).

Even though we never had Harvin, his $11 million prevented any other good players from coming to Seattle so it’ll be great to watch him in the Super Bowl. While others have lost greats, we pretty much have everyone for this game and the addition of Harvin only adds icing to the cake.

Even if Harvin only has one catch for four yards, his presence alone will open things up so much more for the rest of the offensive guys.

102. When the Seahawks Offense faces the Top 10 Defenses, we hear “Russell Wilson Sucks” on this board after the game. When they face Bottom Half Defenses we hear “Russell Wilson for MVP” on this board. We’ll hear the latter after the next game.

103. yankinta says:

pabuwal,, lol, that’s a good point. But I’m not one of them,,, I’ve said RW is Top 5 QB with Top 3QB potential. And imo, he realized his Top 3 status in his second season,,, behind 29th Ranked O-Line (Pass Protection),, without his top 2 WR weapons….. :)

104. Yes what a great video. And that one guy who cusses and wished death to people in front of two small children…talk about classless

105. Todd. It seems like you’re taking Marshawn’s aversion to talking to news reporters too personally. And your attitude about it isn’t very becoming. There’s obviously some kind of history between Marshawn and local news and I doubt you’ll ever find out what it is, so maybe just get over it? If it bothers you that much maybe write a story about it and see where it gets you in that locker room.

106. Both Denver’s rushing and passing defensive numbers are skewed by the fact that they were leading the majority of the time and put up a lot of points versus other teams. Teams were forced to throw against them a lot of the time. Their defensive rushing numbers likely look better than they should be, and their defensive passing numbers are likely worse than they should be. Especially if you’re just using the metric of yards, which sucks when viewed by itself. I don’t believe that Denver has a good defense, but it’s not pure crap either.

The Hawks should be able to put up points against Denver. Especially if Percy makes it through the game. They will likely have to score some points to beat Denver. Like 24+. The weather could change this though. If the conditions make it hard to throw, especially for Manning with his reduced arm strength, then that is very favorable for the Hawks. Could be a comfortable win if that is the case. Denver can’t stop The Beast and Percy. Not happening.

107. It seems to me that Todd has simmering issues with Marshawn as well. I personally couldn’t care less what reporters think about him if he keeps running over fools like a Mack Truck.

108. yankinta says:

bbmate,, I think you made some good points… except,, you or I can’t name half of secondary and who their top 2 pass rushers are….. :) Their best Defensive player is their DT named Pot Roast… he’s mostly a run stopper. There aren’t anyone in their Front 7 that can put pressure or chase down RW, when he gets out of the pocket….. Von Miller has the speed but he won’t be playing on Feb 2nd…..

btw, Champ Bailey got lit up by Joe Flacco last year….Champ is average to below average cb at this point of his career….

109. I watch all the videos at Seahawks.com and the two guys that annoy Pete the most seem to be John Boyle of the Everett Herald and Todd…he puts up with Jim Moore.

The commonalities between the first 2 is that they can be adversarial. What makes Seattle kinda cool is that we do have a laid back press corp here.

If Todd has a problem with Beast, I’d like to suggest that Beast isn’t the problem.

And keep trying to charge me for your articles Tribnet. Of course, not every computer gets the same treatment which I find to be interesting.

GO HAWKS!

110. The media always makes these big games about personalities. Recall the lovefest for Bettis in SB XL. Peyton is the golden boy, so he’s the good guy. Now they need a villain, so they are going to bring up USC’s troubles, the Fail Mary, the crazed fans, and portray our young, cocky players as thugs. Only time and a few more great seasons will change that perception of us.

111. RDPoulsbo says:

I don’t get the Todd has simmering issues thing. Marshawn doesn’t speak to the press. That is a fact. Todd reports that Marshawn doesn’t speak to the press. Is he not reporting fact?

Just because he makes that observation in an amusing way doesn’t automatically mean it’s a dig.

112. MoSeahawk12 says:

Thanks jboard1. I was born in the town they show at the end Modesto, CA. Grew up around 9er and Raider fans. Have been a Seahawks fan since I was ten. Love seeing the 9ers go down…to us.

113. I just get the impression from what Todd has said about Lynch and HOW he has said it. I could certainly be wrong. Again, I don’t really care. Doesn’t bother me if they are mortal enemies of BFFs.

114. djbargelt says:

This is a post from “that other paper” that I hope is OK with Todd to post here. It was from some posts that Larry Stone put up today in an story about the Sherman frenzy. It was written by a guy named Jonathan Keyserk, of Newark, Del. ( Brother, you took the words and my feelings and hit it dead on) HERE IS:

Racially coded criticism

Richard Sherman, a straight-A high-school student and Stanford-educated football player, has aroused great controversy by having the audacity to display emotion and passion after an historic victory. Predictably, the above description of Sherman has now been relegated by racially coded language that Sherman is a “thug” and that his postgame interview with Erin Andrews was somehow “threatening.”

It’s simple: If you don’t want emotional, raw reactions from players, then don’t interview them seconds after an emotional victory in the biggest game of their professional lives.

This is not a racial or gender-based argument, it’s simply about how the media skews and distorts the public image of a player, often using racially coded language and neglecting to provide a comprehensive and factual depiction of the player.

– Jonathan Keyserk, Newark, Del.

115. RDPoulsbo says:

I’ll just say, is there any real evidence that Todd’s occasional sarcastic remarks are directed specifically at Lynch and with malice or are the just impressions with a complete lack of evidence like the idiots popping off at Sherman right now?

It is funny how different a hot woman from Japan feeding Lynch candy is treated differently. Perhaps Todd needs to groom himself better and flirt a little more to get him to open up….

116. RDPoulsbo,

Read Todd’s tweets, chats, and posts. Over the course of a few months there has been a running theme in his posts and his chats. His language has been kind of snarky regarding it. Particularly since Marshawn was fined.
    But maybe Todd’s just a cynical guy in general…

To your point JOREB,
    There’s such a massive contrast between the San Francisco interviews and the Seattle interviews after a loss. Our reporters are on another level in general, but I think Todd is coming from the other class of journalist…

117. FleaFlicker says:

I think the criticism of Todd is off-base. All he did was post an interview that shows Marshawn being a pretty nice guy to a foreign reporting crew. And remember, it’s Todd’s job to objective. Probably the only one on the blog like that.

BobbyK: awesome pointer to that SI cover. Here’s the link if anybody wants to see it:

bbmate: my thoughts exactly. Most teams have been way behind against Denver this year and the run D statistics will be skewed in Denver’s favor. And don’t forget the Percy Harvin screens and sweeps – that will force Denver to focus on edge containment and take more risk against power inside running.

Knock on wood…but I really like our chances.

118. RDPoulsbo…. I’m not making up anything…. the subject is what Todd types. And what Todd types suggests he’s taking Lynch’s aversion too personally. Where did the malice statement come from?

119. No… He didn’t just post the interview… He tried to make a point to his viewership that he’s being discriminated against by Lynch. Read the post. Read his tweets.

I like the Japanese interview. It’s an interesting view into Lynch’s personality. But Todd’s clearly got an agenda. And I think he’s making it personal

120. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m pretty sure people have noticed Todd’s humor has a sarcastic quality to it and it’s not directed just at Lynch. No one can deny that Marshawn’s press availabilities have been hilarious. It’s why they’ve actually gone viral. He made funny comments about some funny events. Nothing bad about that.

121. Alright – Todd is editing the language in his post. It’s whatever. Thanks for listening.

122. I personally am not trying to criticize Todd. I just get this impression from some of his tweets, chat answers, and posts. It seems he has a bit of an issue with Lynch. Just my impression, feeling, etc.. I have no objective evidence, and I certainly could be wrong. Like I said, I don’t really care either way. Enemies or BFFs. I don’t believe that Todd has been overly unfair with Lynch if that’s how it came off. The comment about Lynch being willing to talk when he wants to sell his shirts is really what game me this impression.

123. *gave

The Hawks and Broncos are the only 2 teams that play in states that have legalized the recreational use of marijuana. Coincidence? I think not. ;-)

124. Nevermind – I don’t think he edited anything.

I just don’t want to read cynical shots at anyone that are essentially complaining about the realities of journalism. Chalk it up to a disconnect between my preference and Todd’s style.

125. MoSeahawk12 says:

I think Todd has a sarcastic streak in him and does a great job for us. He reads through the hundreds of posts and often comes up with entertaining and spot on headlines the next day based on what topics have garnered the most attention. I don’t feel or read into any malice towards Lynch. I don’t think this one needs much of a fine toothed comb to go over. Let’s not call in Sherlock Holmes just yet.

126. thursday says:

My take on it is that he (Todd) has a sarcastic/cynical style, that’s all I’ve ever thought on it. People look way too hard for agendas and stupid things like that. Too much offense is always being taken at everything. It’s the same mindset that has everyone up in arms about Sherman. He taunted Crabtree and Crabtree alone. The only person with any right to be offended there is Crabtree. Everyone else should mind their own ish.

127. wazzulander says:

I sensed Todd was getting fed up with the posters trying to paint Marshawn as a vicitim (as am I) moreso than pissed off at Marshawn.

128. jawpeace says:

As far as MVP betting consider last years Super Bowl. I believe Flacoe won when I think it was Jacoby Jones who was playing lights out even after the lights went out. I thought JJ was robbed of the MVP. So odds are poor if WR wins MVP because the media always says the QB threw it to him. Which is flawed logic.

129. thursday says:

@jawpeace agree, most other positions get shafted when it comes to SB MVP. I remember also thinking Jones should have gotten it, he made some great catches. I wonder though, if a receiver gets most of his yards through YAC (i.e.Harvin) if that would make a difference in MVP voting. I can’t imagine if Harvin say, runs a kick back and makes another touchdown and a bunch of yards off of short screens or something, how do you give it to Wilson at that point?

130. Southendzone says:

I don’t have an issue with it, I’m just saying I read most of the posts and listen to most of the live chats, I think there’s a vibe about Lynch’s media snubbing behavior from Todd.

Doesn’t matter, in fact it could be justified, might be a major PITA from a reporter’s point of view.

I bet sitting down with the TnT sports reporters and having a few pitchers of beer would be fun as hell if they would start talking candidly about what is fun & sucks about their jobs.

131. MoSeahawk12 says:

I think the MVP QB logic goes along the lines that the QB touches the ball every snap and has to avoid four or fives guys on every play while scanning the field and then delivering the ball to the open guy. Where as the receiver has to beat his man one on one and might get the ball thrown his way a quarter of the snaps or less. The receiver has to make his catches and even make the ones where the ball is off target. The media loves QBs and very few receivers or backs get enough credit to change that. Didn’t Boldin have a huge day last year as well? With that being said, if Marshawn has over 150 yards and a few tds, but Wilson throws two as well, Wilson would probably get the MVP over Lynch.

132. RDPoulsbo says:

The winning QB will always be the favorite for MVP and there’s a lot of reasons why. One that’s probably overlooked is it’s still a made for TV event. The post game interview is still part of that entertainment, so they’re going to pick someone who’s made for TV. In most cases, that’s going to be the QB just because that’s basically part of the job description. For that reason, I’d probably cross Lynch off as a candidate.

133. raymaines says:

Guys…

We just have to quit using the word THUG. In modern usage it means Black Man Acting Poorly and is the exact equivalent of that god-awful 1940’s & 50’s N-word that sensible people have already quit using. It’s a racist slur and we don’t need to be using it. Proof: Richie Incognito and Aaron Hernandez together weren’t called Thugs as often as Richard Sherman has been. Those two goons are the classic definition of Thug, but the name calling is pointed at RS. Thanks.

134. SandpointHawk says:

Disneyland wants Russell or Payton. End of story.

135. If you’re Todd, you have a job to do and that is to interview players people want to hear from. All of us want to hear from the Beast. On that, we’re in Todd’s corner and we’re in the corner of the Beast because he’s one of our best players.

If you’re the Beast, you’ve probably been painted in a way (some deserved when he was probably younger, and some probably bogus b/c of a “reputation”) that you want no part of. I don’t fault him for not wanting to do an interview, just as I don’t fault Todd for wanting a quote or two for a story that he needs to write to support himself.

We’ve all heard from Eric and Todd about how the Beast hates interviews (this isn’t limited to Todd on TNT) and we’ve heard tidbits consistent with both about the Beast as a person (and Divish) about crazy swearing bad lyriced music in the lockerroom of which Lynch is the leader. Personally, that’s not my thing either.

If you like the Seahawks – you’re okay with that because Lynch is a good football player and his teammates seem to love him. As a fan, if he’s a good dude to them and they like/respect him… then I don’t care.

If Lynch was a 49er, you know we’d all say bad things about him. But he’s one of “us” so we’ve got his back.

I hate this day and age of “either/or.” As we’ve seen how an educated Sherman is being portrayed.

I won’t hate on Lynch but I certainly don’t think Todd is off-base if he, as a journalist, is upset about the Beast not giving him a quote or two. It’s his job. If any of you had a job and it was to interview people… and those people wouldn’t talk to you… what would you think of them? I guarantee you wouldn’t be talking about how bad you feel for that person. But if you’re the Beast and have been burned by reporters, I can see not wanting to talk to a new guy that hasn’t earned your trust either.

I think any hate on Todd for this is way off base. But if Todd could become 6/4 tomorrow and run a 4.2 and reincarnate himself as a young Randy Moss physically then all of you would be on his side no matter what he said on the blog if he could be a player/blogger.

“…and is the exact equivalent of that god-awful 1940’s & 50’s N-word that sensible people have already quit using.”

I completely disagree. The exact equivalent? At best it’s only remotely comparable. If we’re using the rhetoric and hyperbole being disseminated by sports talk radio to define the meaning of language, we as a society are in far greater trouble than I imagine. And while I never used thug in connection to Ingognito I have absolutely used it directly to describe Hernandez. Why? Because thug refers to violent *criminal* behavior, not race. The N-word is directly connected to race and has it’s roots in slavery. No, I wholly reject that premise and will not allow the likes of the ESPN rating-whores to redefine my social consciousness.

137. I understand it’s Todd’s job to get quotes and to cover the team. No problem there. My problem is him calling out Beast as we all know for who he is and gets a pass, telling Clare Farnsworth to hush or shut up or something along those lines a few weeks ago and for repeatedly asking Pete strategic questions about his up and coming game plan over and over and over again! Fortunately is way too smart for anyone in the media, but you can visibly see who he prefers taking questions from and who perpetually annoys him.

I found it gutsy and hilarious that with all the senseless talk about Bowie being a hero that Pete sat him down and made him inactive for this last game and STILL won. Now that may change again for the Superbowl but it tickled me to no end here.

Again, at the end of the day…we’re all in this together. We might not get along much outside of the Seahawks but while we’re here, we all have one goal in mind and it’s never been closer to becoming a reality than it is here and now.

GO HAWKS!

138. You do realize that Bowie starting allowed Carp to get more fired up after he was inactive and he (Carp) played better against SF and that’s the real reason why we won, right? Game ball against SF goes to Michael Bowie!

139. Hutch!

Flynn!

Bowie!

Who will you obsess about next BobbyK?

I love ya man!

:-)

140. Jedi_Tinman says:

Just watched Marshawn’s interview with NFL Japan….Hey Todd…if you looked as hot as she does, Lynch would give you all of the interview time you want…

Also…the interview was a puff-piece, and she’s not asking a lot of tough questions designed to produce either (a) lame responses “Yeah, they are a good team, insert 10x cliche here” or (b) bulletin board material.