Tweet link: Report says Quinn to have second interview with Browns

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm with 40 Comments »
January 21, 2014 5:34 pm

1. Don’t go Q.

“I’d be more apt to spend money on a plane ticket to hunt down the turd and put a baseball bat to his knees than I would be to buy an apology ad in a SF newspaper.”

“ChrisHolmes i like your idea, i think it would mean more to 49′rs fans if we took up a found that guy and then busted his ‘caps with a bat. It rings of true sincerity.”

Or guys, we could hire someone to track him down and abduct him, then fly over the Superbowl and drop him without a parachute onto the field during the National Anthem. That would prove to the world how seriously we take throwing popcorn here in Seattle. A zero tolerance policy…

2. yakimahawk says:

Did you guys see the video of Boman ripping up that kids Hawks poster before the game?

3. yakimahawk says:

Under no circumstances do you do that to a kid! Are you joking…? What comes around goes around.

4. seahawksteven777 says:

Dear Browns or as I call them, the Toxic Turds, stop trying so hard. You never even gave your last coach a shot since your expectations are unreasonably high. You’re the Factory of Sadness for a reason. No coach wants to be the head coach of the Toxic Turds.

5. Yakima, here are the two events. The Bowman rip:

The popcorn… Was there a second tosser? Look at the angle…

6. yakimahawk says:

I understand there were 2 events. I am stating him ripping up a young boys poster before the game was one of the worst things I have seen a pro athlete do to a kid. Maybe it was the kid throwing popcorn on him? Also how does anyone know A)it was a Seahawks fan (there were only a few there in the visitor tunnel) B) If the popcorn was spilled. The only video we have is of Boman ripping up a kids poster.

7. raymaines says:

I’ve never been in the state of Ohio, but I went to Cleveland H.S. in Seattle way back in the day and somehow have a soft spot in my heart for any thing or place named Cleveland. I’m sad for that city that their NFL franchise is so darn pitiful. The original Browns left for Baltimore and have since won more Superbowls than the new Browns have won division titles. The ownership group and management team both suck, They draft poorly and go through coaches like jelly donuts. And to top it off, their uniforms are beyond ugly.

Don’t go DQ, you’ll be sorry. At least 6 HC jobs open up every year and next years openings will be better for you than this one. At the very least, you could go somewhere the weather is warm.

8. freedom_X says:

I think Quinn would be making a big mistake if he took the Cleveland job. With that bad ownership and management structure, he may end up unemployed and with a tattered reputation. Pete Carroll hopefully is stressing to Quinn how important a good organization is to being successful, based on his own experiences.

Since the Seattle defense should be good for at least next year at the very least (worst case being lots of guys bail out in free agency and Seattle can’t replace them), Quinn’s stock should be higher and he should have more choice of jobs next year.

9. The people of Cleveland deserve to have a good team as much as anyone else. If Dan Quinn gets the offer–after the Super Bowl, and hopefully a win–then more power to him if he wants to go. I mean, aren’t you sick of always hearing about Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Baltimore? The Browns are an old and storied team whose fans got screwed (as we did with Sonics) when their owner moved the team to Baltimore. They’ve had to build up from scratch. They’ve never even been to a Super Bowl. I cheer for the underdog (Seahawks have helped me with that). I love Quinn, but if he goes, good for him.

10. Todd Dybas says:

Judge the Bowman video how you like, just know it is from last year. Not Sunday.

– Todd

11. Good to know Todd, thanks.

One thing I will say is that when you are one of the last two teams standing, everything and anything anyone does or says is reported on. As much as all of these stories seem circus like at times, this is part of the “Super Bowl” experience.

Does it really matter what year a classless act was done? lol.

13. Screensmoke says:

I still am in disbelief about this popcorn issue with bowman – really-who cares part of the game- be grateful it wasn’t batteries- apologize to him – like he really cares- what is the real motive behind this narcostic idea? Sounds like a pansy – getting other pansies to join him in some attention getting ploy- thank god all the seahawk nation is not like this- what a moronic self serving idea- move on we have the bowl in 2 weeks with a new enemy-reach down, grab a hold and realize you have a pair- what a joke

14. WiscCory says:

Is anyone buying that conference champion gear??? Or, are you holding out for the Super Bowl champion stuff like me!

15. I had always thought Bowman was a good dude who was a great and tough player. I didn’t know about that incident whether it happened last year or this past Sunday.

Therefore, Screensmoke, it is pretty clear that I’m not all jacked up about doing what plenty of others also thought was a good idea.

It’s called giving the 12th Man a good name which I think most fans are. I sure as heck wasn’t going to annoint my own personal name to the ad so you’re a fool if you think we were going to do this with a hidden agenda so we could gain individual attention (we don’t post our names, addresses, and phone numbers here). The only attention anyone talked about was to portray a class image for our fan base.

This situation is a great learning experience in a multiple of ways:

People who saw Sherman automatically thought he was a thug after the game. These are people who know nothing about him. We know better, but most do not.

When I first heard about the Bowman incident, I thought “food” as in multiple people throwing hot dogs or something at him.

Then it was perhaps a few people throwing popcorn at him, which turned to a person perhaps throwing popcorn, which may or may not end up being popcorn accidentally spilled on him.

When it was the first scenario of food being thrown at him and without the understanding of the crap poster tearing incident, I thought it was a joke and liked STTBMs idea of trying to let others know there was some “class” associated with us too. However, we’re all entitled to change our mind to a degree and opinion, no?

There’s a difference between disagreeing with someone and whipping out “moronic self serving idea” and “realize you have a pair” that takes to attacking a fellow Seahawks fan in the manner a 49ers fan would attack you. Real classy, Screensmoke. Real classy. Or something.

16. WiscCory – I’m holding out for the Super Bowl champions gear. :)

17. Screensmoke says:

Blow it out your donkey and stay in Minnesota – cream puff

18. raymaines says:

I finally got around to watching the popcorn video. It was hard to tell, but I think one guy dumped a half bucket of popcorn and mostly missed. A grand total of THREE(!) kernels landed on the golf kart. It could even have been an untimely accident, because if it were deliberate it was a pretty lame throw. Even I could have done better than that.

I’m really sorry Navarro blew up his knee, but I’m no longer worried about the popcorn. I might start to worry about his hurt feelings after we read an in-print apology for his ripping the kids sign, the SF strength coach decking Jeremy Lane, or the New Orleans guy head shoting Percy Harvin.

19. Screensmoke says:

Who cares what people think- whyvis it your job job to change that- I was so diss appointed when I read that in this blog but not surprised- your a joke and so are your football phonie cronies on this blog who complain what’s wrong with this team- now we are going to the bowl and your latest whine is about some fan at the game throwing popcorn- GUAFB – Do u know what it’s like to hit somebody so hard that your nose starts bleeding- No u don’t because if u did u would never bring this up – like i said GUAFB-

20. “I’m really sorry Navarro blew up his knee, but I’m no longer worried about the popcorn.”

That’s where I’m at too. And, frankly, I’m glad it wasn’t as bad as it first seemed. The best lesson this taught me was to not judge people so fast (think the Sherman incident, too).

Hopefully we can practice what we preach in the future without jumping to conclusions. I know it gets hard sometimes – because I was irate with Tate in the first Rams game and then changed my tune a bit after all the other cheap stuff came out about what the players were trash talking to Tate.

One thing I hope for our guys is that they don’t do anything like that next Sunday with respect to a stupid 15 yard penalty. If ever there was a time to NOT retaliate and keep it in… it’s next weekend.

My birthday is next weekend and all I want is for the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl!!! That’s not too much to ask, is it?

21. Screensmoke says:

One things for sure I wouldn’t take any of this personal pee wee- I’m just blowing steam- for all u know I could of gone to ND and played a few years of football a few years back or I could be some head case just messing with you but im allways watching Robert j irish is allways listening

22. SnakeDoctor says:

Well said Ray!

23. Screensmoke – That’s fine and no offense. Sorry for saying “fool.” You and I both care about the same thing next Sunday… the Hawks winning. We’re all brothers who have each others back next Sunday. I’d say “win or lose” but I’ll go with “Win or Win.” Go Hawks!

24. Who here is going to the Super Bowl? I am thinking about going but it is looking like a solo mission.

25. Screensmoke says:

Happy day bobby!

26. Screensmoke says:
  27. freedom_X says:

Unfortunately for the city of Cleveland, the ownership and management is going to keep anyone from winning there. Including Quinn. What has Haslam actually learned in his year of ownership? Not enough to turn the franchise around, I fear.

At best, Haslam will be like the York family who owns the 49ers – after they got control from DeBartalo, it took them almost a decade to figure it out and get the right people in place. Then that org went somewhere. Maybe Haslam learns in 2 or 3 years. Or never figures it out like Daniel Synder (so far.)

Even in Seattle the franchise was down-and-out for 4 years (counting the Super Bowl years as the high era.) But that was because it took a while to figure out the previously successful organization could no longer get it done. Thankfully, Paul Allen realized it and pulled the trigger, which is what ownership ultimately needs to do.

28. this is pretty far off-topic, and it’s a long article, but it’s about a football player i’m sure quite a few of us remember watching back in the day. sort of hard to believe it’s that same guy. about as bad of a downward spiral as you get: http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/1/21/5320000/david-meggett-criminal-history-profile

29. When I posted that Bowman poster ripping video I had no idea it was from last year either.. I got it from a facebook post and it was presented like it came from last week’s game. I should have checked the date. Rookie mistake.

30. CDHawkFan says:

Again, I don’t think abyone needs to apologize to Bowman, he takes the risk and gets paid for it and has a large fan base to help his ego. It was 1 person and some dry popcorn, I am sure he has had to deal with a lot worse.

Maybe you are just pointing the date of the video out to correct someone, but if not, what does it matter that the Bowman ripping of the poster is from last year? Its a real jerk thing from him to do and I am not sure why anyone would still want to apologize to him for dry popcorn when he ripped up a signed someone paid for and spent time putting together.

This guy, along with a lot of other players doesn’t give 2 cents about Hawks fans and when given the chance, he actually went out of his way to tell/show us so. Nice mean spit to the ground tough and focused guy.

31. Group Hug!!

And with a sigh of relief, we can all turn our attention to that big beautiful game coming up like a sunrise on the horizon. I love our chances. And I love our role as the nasty underdog spoilers from the Northwest. It should be an awesome game.

32. banosser says:

Sherman’s a thug huh?

Bowman rips up a kids poster
    Brooks hits a teammate over the head with a bottle (3 times)
    Smith up on felony weapons charges along with crashing his truck into a tree then blew a .15+ DUI..

33. “I’m the Best” Richard Sherman Remix.

34. You can download the mp3 here.

35. HawkFromDay1 says:

Quinn would do an awesome job.

The problem is, they might fire him anyway.

36. bird_spit says:

Mocarob – thanks for this link. Great laugh was needed on the personally crappy day.

37. ChrisHolmes says:

I’m not sure Pete needs to stress anything to Quinn. He’s been here in Seattle, he’s seen how PC and JS operate; he knows what it means to have an organization work in concert from top to bottom and how that impacts success.

In the end, however, it’s about getting a shot to be a head coach. If you feel that it is your destiny, then you’re going to take the chance when it comes, regardless. If it’s the Browns, so be it.

Personally I don’t want Quinn to go; I love the work he’s done this year. He’s a perfect conduit for Pete and his scheme.

But if he wants to be a head coach, he’ll probably take the job if it’s offered.