Carroll says Harvin ‘should be fine’ this week

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:53 am with 27 Comments »
January 20, 2014 11:53 am

In his usual appearance on 710 ESPN this morning, Pete Carroll said Percy Harvin “should be fine” this week.

> Carroll talked about the second-half surge where he thought the Seahawks were knocking the 49ers around. “It was really an extraordinary thing.”

> Carroll on Alvin Bailey at tight end and James Carpenter back at guard: “That was part of the gameplan. We had taken a look at Michael (Bowie) a couple weeks ago and gave him a chance because he had done so many good things. When we looked at it when we started the week, we felt like it might be more than he needed to handle. This game was so big and particularly the young guys had never been in this situation, so, we made a really clear decision, let’s go ahead with the guys who have been playing the most. We’ll come back to Mike. There will be a time.”

As for using Bailey, Carroll said they were trying to neutralize San Francisco’s outside linebackers. “Their outside ‘backers are monsters.”

> Carroll said the last two games, they could have won “decisively,” so there was still a lot of work to do.

> In regard to going for it on 4th-and-seven, Carroll said they were initially going to kick a field goal, but then decided it was out of Steven Hauschka’s range. So, they ran down the clock, took a timeout and took a shot. He said they had already eliminated a punt as an option.

> Carroll on 49ers’ final drive: “They got pretty close.” He also said San Francicsco wasn’t moving very fast and that helped the Seahawks.

> Carroll on Sherman: “Whenever they throw the ball deep at Richard, I really feel like he is going to get it.”

1. jchawks08 says:

Won’t Harvin be a welcome addition to the team for this game? Also, anyone else worried about Peyton Manning getting seriously injured in this game? I mean, I want the Hawks to dominate, but I don’t want to see him stretchered out.

2. I thought having Bailey in at TE (as a third OT, really) worked great and was a huge boost to our run game on several plays.

I was surprised to see McQuistan play so much at LG. Not as surprised to see Carp back really, as he is still improving. I really wonder what they’ll do at LG in the super bowl???

3. jchawks – I don’t recall the Seahawks trying to hurt at QB this year at all. What they do is go after the ball. And they often get it. Exactly what they’re coached to do.

4. Not at all worried about Manning getting hit. His pocket was completely clean against the Patriots, so I am assuming they will do a decent job protecting him. And if Peyton wants to continue playing at his age, with is neck injury history, thats on him. Its not like he doesn’t know the risks.

5. jchawks08 says:

Oh, I’m not saying it would be on purpose. Dude has had 4 neck surgeries at minimum. One wrong hit.. And our team hits HARD.
    Luckily for him that guy always seems to lead the league in least sacks taken.

6. The LG situation is extremely interesting to me. Because we won, no one is hounding Carrol for what happened with Bowie / Carpenter and McQuistan for NFC championship. But what if we had lost? The ‘what happened to Michael Bowie’ questions would have been endless.

In anycase, it will be interesting to see who plays where at LG in Superbowl.

7. revpetermohr says:

Try this on for size…Percy Harvin – Superbowl MVP

8. I am ok with Percy being SuperBowl MVP. What an end to the season that would be. It would certainly quiet down all of the Percy Harvin contract/injury blog conversation.

9. Did you guys hear that Richard Sherman mouthed off after the game and upset everybody?

You would think he kicked an old lady in the face or something. The over-reaction is getting hysterical.

The Seahawks offensive line is just a mess. Even Okung was bad yesterday. But they find a way to win somehow.

GO HAWKS!

10. Southendzone says:

Peyton is too good at avoiding sacks. Best case is pressure him into suboptimal reads and throws.

You all realize peyton and his supercomputer brain are 18 hours into a nonstop film study session on our defense right now.

11. It was BS Bowie sat last night. And FatAssCarp did nothing to justify being activated, and McQ looks like the reanimated corpse if Chris Gray.

Okung is still playing hurt. But he’s all we got. There’s no excuse for playing McQ and Carp over Bowie..,

12. ChrisHolmes says:

Manning is incredibly difficult to sack because he gets rid of the football. He can sidestep a rush if he needs to, but his mobility isn’t an issue. He’ll just dump the ball off to the outlet.

I’d be surprised if we sacked him even once.

On the other hand, he doesn’t have awesome velocity on his throws anymore, and his down-field balls flutter and quack a bit. There will be opportunities for interceptions.

Manning and this “record breaking” offense have done most of their damage inside of 15 yards. I like the matchup of our back seven vs. their weapons. Our front four will bring enough pressure to force Manning to get rid of it; you can’t give him all day or guys will eventually get open no matter who the defenders are.

What we have to do is bring enough pressure with four to force Manning to get rid of the ball before he wants to. Force him to throw it into tight coverage, and then have our athletic guys tip passes and make plays. When his receivers do catch the ball, then we have to hammer them. Hit ‘em hard, strip the ball, knock it out. Make guys aware, like Crabtree was yesterday, that they are going to get hit, and force them to shortarm some stuff.

The Patriots held them to 26 yesterday. In Denver.

I like our chances to hold them to even fewer in New York. In colder weather.

We’re built specifically to beat a team like this. Our running game, our defense, our special teams, and RW and our receivers make a few key plays.

Of the other four times the top defense has met the top offense in the Super Bowl, the top defense has won 75% of the time.

I like our chances a lot.

I know this much: I have some good friends who are Denver fans. And when we laid the wood to New Orleans in that regular season game, one of my friends texted me and said the team that they were the most scared of was Seattle.

I’d be afraid of our defense too.

Manning is going to study. So are we. And we’ll know what he likes to do.

This is going to be one for the ages.

13. ChrisHolmes says:

@revpetermohr If Seattle wins, I am guessing Superbowl MVP is going to be either Lynch (if it’s offense) or someone like Sherman or ET for the defense.

If last night were the Super Bowl, who do you think the announcing team would have given the MPV to? I’m not sure I know.

I would want to say they would give it to Sherman. He shut down one half of the field for 59-and-a-half minutes, and then made the biggest play to end it.

Personally, I’d probably give it to Lynch.

I loved it when Jimmy Johnson said, “If Lynch gets 100 yards, they win this game”.

When Lynch had 97 yards and Seattle was driving, I was giddy. We were going to come back and we were going to win.

14. Thanks for the analysis of Manning, ChrisHolmes.

Go Hawks!

15. RDPoulsbo says:

I like a point I’ve saw about the whole Sherman thing. The national media just spent the last month calling the Seahawk WR group mediocre, but when Sherman declares Crabtree mediocre to the national media everyone’s clutching their pearls. Give me a break.

Harvin still hasn’t contributed significantly to getting a Lombardi. He has 1 game left to do just that, otherwise he is a waste. That trade was a move to win it all this year. His contract makes it increasingly difficult to keep the guys who did contribute significantly to getting to the SB. So if he doesn’t do much in 2 weeks, I would say cut him, eat the costs and cut their losses. That way they can extend contracts to guys that actually did contribute.

I get what Carroll was saying about playing the guys with the most experience. The problem is Carp is a bad experience. Hopefully, he doesn’t keep doing that. Denver doesn’t have the pass rush as SF, but it still doesn’t mean you put someone worthless out there to protect your franchise QB.

16. bulldog80 says:

Wow I love Pete! The guy says everything I’m think in relation to the team performance. To have the head coach actually so in tune is very reassuring. (The Holmgren pressers provide a good contrast) He knows that if we would have scored a TD on either of those turnovers late the game is over. I guarantee they will be working hard on red zone offense.

17. MoSeahawk12 says:

I’d look for Manning to put it up 45-50 times this game as I think our D will shut down Denver’s run game. Manning’s passes flutter a lot and the longer they stay in the air, the better I like our chances. Our secondary is light years better than the Patriots. They played so soft yesterday, the receivers all had tons of space while open. Of course it already starts with ESPN saying we don’t have a chance. Glad they feel that way.

18. jchawks08 says:

I’ve never been so unimpressed by a record smashing season such as Manning had.
    I’m with you ChrisHolmes. Manning has made a career of avoiding sacks. He’s the dang master. I’d love to see his yearly sacked rankings.
    What has me confident is also what you pointed out. I’ve seen numerous games this year where Manning throws it more than 15 yards and that ball just quacks the whole way to the receiver. At those times, I find myself thinking ‘Sherman (Earl, Kam, WT3, Maxy, et al) would have picked that, easy.’
    Maybe I’m still on an NFC Championship high, but today, at this time, I’m definitely not scared of Manning. Also, it’s safe to say I’m rooting for sub-40 degree temps with precipitation. Heard there is a chance of snow. 2-weeks out, who knows.

19. Southendzone says:

I was on the same page about Manning not being sacked, then I started thinking that Avril is SO quick when he gets past his guy, he might sneak in for one.

I hope Manning doesn’t get a chance to put it up 45-50 times because I hope the Hawks ball-control the hell out of this game. Long drives with beast mode interspersed with WR screens to Harvin & Baldwin, and posession passes to Kearse & Tate.

20. m2mnelson says:

Wow, this is the strangest conversation of all time. We are worried about injuring Manning? I could care less, I hope he gets hit all day long. They Seahawks aren’t dirty but if a QB can’t handle the abuse, who cares? I hope the D dominates on the big stage and NY and I think Manning will be in for a long day against the Legion of Boom in cold NY.

21. jchawks08 says:

I also believe that Pete Carroll said: “They have to deal with us.” I love that quote.

22. jchawks08 says:

m2mnelson.. It’s a morbid concern is all. I think we could retire Manning this game.

23. MoSeahawk12 says:

Good point Southendzone. Marshawn should be able to control the clock and eat up yards. Keep Manning off the field as much as possible. Make Denver go 80+ yards to score. He’s not playing the over matched Pats D this game.

This video shows the sideline clothesline hit from a member of the niners on Lane. I’m sure Harbaugh will be beyond reproach though.

24. ChrisHolmes says:

I have always been a big Manning fan. To me, he’s just what you hope for in a QB. I have always been a big fan of his football IQ and study habits, and his accuracy.

Manning a few years ago would have struck a lot of fear into me as a Seahawks fan. And he’s still as smart as ever, and he’ll still out-study everyone else. And even with a weakening arm, he’s still more accurate than anyone else.

But his arm just isn’t what it was, and thus you see a lot more crossing routes, rub routes, pick plays, slants and clear-out/in-cut combos in the passing game. If our guys can defend those patterns, hit guys hard (but cleanly), get into the receivers’ heads a bit, and tip passes or cause INT’s, then we’re going to win this game.

And yeah, our pass rush is way better than New England’s. It would be nice if Avril or Bennet or Clemmons got a sack here or there. But with Manning, it’s not the sack that’s necessary so much as it is forcing Manning to throw before he’s ready. Much like press-coverage is designed to take a receiver out of his timing, you want to throw Manning’s timing off with pressure. You don’t have to get to him, you just have to pressure him enough that he throws the ball too soon. So he’s either throwing to a guy who is covered, or throwing into a window that he isn’t sure will be open, or he’s throwing before he can get deep into his progression. You do those things, and you’re going to have chances at turnovers.

As my family and I were watching the games yesterday, I commented to them that in the first game there were no turnovers. We hadn’t seen a fumble or interception. I said out loud, “That isn’t going to happen in this next game. There’s going to be turnovers. Seattle is the best at creating them.”

Then Wilson goes and fumbles the first play of the game :)

But really, Seattle did live up to their turnover reputation. There were three fumbles that Seattle could have recovered early in that game. Statistically, fumble recover is pure luck, and it tends to even out at 50/50. I figured after the 3rd missed fumble, the next turnover was coming our way.

And boy, did they. Kaepernick throws the INT, then fumbles on the strip-sack, and then the final tipped INT.

We could have had 6 turnovers yesterday if Lady Luck would have bounced our way on the other fumbles.

I’ll say this: If Denver plays turnover-free football, then they win. It’s that simple. But if Seattle does what they are good at – maybe even great at – this game is ours to run away with.

And I just have a feeling that in the colder weather of Jersey, with Lynch running the ball and the Legion of Boom covering the Denver WR’s, the turnovers are going to come.

25. ChrisHolmes says:

Oh wow… you can totally see it in that video. He intentionally took Lane out.

Not cool.

No idea who that dude is, but that was uncool.

26. “You would think he kicked an old lady in the face or something.”

I’m pretty sure he didn’t kick Crabtree in the face.