A pick …

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:23 am with 47 Comments »
January 19, 2014 11:23 am

Like most, I went back and forth with my pick.

After re-watching the two regular-season games, plus the 49ers’ game against the Green Bay Packers I decided.

I see Russell Wilson vs. the 49ers’ secondary as an advantage for the Seahawks and Colin Kaepernick vs. the Seahawks’ secondary as the biggest disadvantage in the game. I think the Seahawks defense will handle Frank Gore well enough that they force Kaepernick to the air. Two picks for Kaepernick. No mistakes, plus a big play in the air from Wilson.
Seahawks 27, 49ers 17

Dave Boling, columnist: The 12th Man makes a difference in a classic battle.
Seahawks 19, 49ers 17

John McGrath, columnist: 49ers coming into Seattle as the best team in football, but the Seahawks have the best home-crowd advantage in sports right now.
Seahawks 23, 49ers 20

Don Ruiz, staff writer: They were very even teams when they played at Candlestick Park. But this game is in Seattle, and they haven’t been close to even there. Seahawks 26, 49ers 10

Darrin Beene, sports editor: Back in August, I picked a San Francisco-Denver Super Bowl. Can’t stop now.
49ers 20, Seahawks 9

Who do you have?

1. 23-14, Hawks.

2. Seahawks 17-13

Who do we have? Lol. Is that a real question?

4. I agree that the 49ers secondary is a major deficiency but I can’t get a feel to what extent the Seahawks can or will take advantage of that.

My prediction is Seahawks 19-10. 4 FGs for the Seahawks. One long drive and 5 shorter drives set up by great field position. The Seahawks only get inside the SF 10 two times.

5. This is Wilson’s 36th start, 4th playoff start (not counting the preseason experience). At this point in experience he is a 3rd year QB. The second year step back should be behind him today.

6. Seattle 27 – 13

Go ‘Hawks!

7. SeventiesHawksFan says:

31 – 16. Wilson throws for two. Marshawn gets two as well.

8. GoldenGate_Nate says:

This is Kaepernick’s 29th start. His last visit to Seattle was only his 12th start. There has been a lot of growth and experience since then. I see a significant improvement. Seattle will also be missing Rice/Harvin and will be unable to take advantage of the SF secondary. Both defenses will rise to the occasion, but SF just has more offensive firepower than Searle.

SF 17-9.

9. this is the rare game when I’d like to see 50+ yds rushing for RW. Lynch will be there if the flow of the game allows him to get his carries. the defense will be there too. we’ll need Russell to make something out of nothing a few times today.

10. 27-10 hawks

11. Seahawks22360 says:

Hawks 27-10!

12. Kapernick has put plenty of passes in the opponent’s hands this playoffs. They MUST be caught.

13. I hate predictions!

I predict that the spirit of the fans will lift up the team and that they will play their very best game ever today.

14. My guess is Seahawks by 3 or less.

Hawks- 24-16.

16. seahawk44 says:

SEA 27
    SF 6

17. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I also hate predictions. Just win!

18. jawpeace says:

A Hawks victory of course!
    Any score where we are ahead when the clocks hits 0:00 in the 4th quarter will be AWESOME!
    If I had to pick a score Sea -30 San -23

19. Hawks. 23-13.

20. averagejay says:

It comes down to Hawk D. Stop Gore/Caep Hawks win.

24-16 hawks

21. montanamike2 says:

I’m off, talk to you guys later. GO HAWKS!!!

22. i hate it when GoldenGateNate shows up on here and has a reasonable comment because then you can’t be rude to him. Most of the time it’s like:

lol da seahawks suk lmao sea chickens, PEDttle PEEDhawks hahahah niners win 99-3

23. Hawks 24-19

24. oldtallguy says:

After watching 49ers against packers and panthers I have no doubt seahawks score more than miners. But the NFL representatives (refs) make up the difference

25. While we all disagree with GGNate, we have to admit he is a reasonable and well-spoken guy. It is disturbing to see the 49ers represented so well…LOL.

26. Macabrevity says:

I’m going to bring the full weight of my own curse which rivals that of Madden in my 30 year history as a sports fan and say the San Francisco 49ers look unbeatable right now.

27. banosser says:

GGN: “..and will be unable to take advantage of the SF secondary”

This hope and a prayer is where his prognostication becomes a fail

28. wazzulander says:

Legion of Boom pitches a shutout – 17-0 Seahawks

29. oldtallguy says:

NFL.com states all the phantom calls against Carolina in first half last week

30. I predict that Ricardo Lockette will play QB today and throw for 400 yards – all to himself.

31. Only Michael Bowie could accomplish something that fantastic.

49ers 10
    Seahawks 24

32. Screensmoke says:

It all comes down to Russ today- he makes things happen we win- more than not just making mistakes- today is the day Russell -SHINE !

33. Macabrevity says:

Commentary during NE – Den brought up a good point that I think we can apply to RW, they mentioned how Manning’s rhythm was off during the first match-up due to excessive running by Denver’s offense and not enough throws to get into rhythm much like in basketball when a shooter needs to throw it up enough times to get the shots to start falling.

RW has rarely gotten a chance to establish any kind of rhythm of late, which might be the main culprit in his accuracy issues.

34. averagejay says:

Don’t know about you, but I am not impressed with Denver/NE today. Offenses are both struggling against weak defenses

35. The Patriot/Bronco game is downright soft compared to what we’re going to see in Seattle.

36. Macabrevity says:

If my posts of late seem a bit ‘bar-lowering’ for this blog, can you guys just write it off as nerves?

If I didn’t have to get up for work soon I think I’d have to tipi a few back.

37. Watching the AFC Championship, looks to me like whoever wins the NFC Championship (unless there are too many injuries in a brutal game) will win SB XLVIII. When PC/JS came, I was amazed at the quality of athletes they brought here. Now I’m amazed at the quality of football players the Seahawks have. I’ve got my football jersey, SEA flag, SEA mug, SEA hat, and every appendage crossed for good luck for the Hawks today. I know SEA is gonna win before they even take the field, even without PH & Willson, etc. But, gotta pray for good luck in this game. Steratore was a good break to get for the ref. Not as good as McAulif at not calling the game too tight (McAulif’s crew threw 19 fewer flags in reg season), but should be good enough to keep the game from becoming decided by the refs via a flag fest. God I love this team!!!

GO HAWKS!!!

38. Game over, New England has nothing.

39. MoSeahawk12 says:

No D for the Pats. Broncos making it look easy.

Yes, Brady has been off and the Broncos are playing well. It’s all but over.

41. sluggo42 says:

Denver looks very good. I’d not know if it’s because the pats suck, or if they are just that good…

42. The Pats have played very soft and uninspired. Their defense looks especially bad in coverage, they are playing way off the Denver receivers.

43. seatowntp says:

I am going to bring the BOLD prediction. . . RW plays the game of his life (until the Super Bowl) and plays both with urgency and intelligence resulting in a BLOWOUT! Yes, I’m a homer. Whiners 13 The mighty Seahawks 38. Oh, and Harblow has an aneurysm on the sideline in the 3rd quarter.

44. UltimateHawk says: