Morning Links: Tate walking the walk after always talking the talk

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:02 am with 77 Comments »
January 6, 2014 1:02 am
Golden Tate has become the Seahawks' top receiver and is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. / AP photo
Golden Tate has become the Seahawks’ top receiver and is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. / AP photo

Good morning.

We have clarity with the playoff picture now. Four teams remain in each conference. The Seahawks will start next weekend’s divisional-round games when they play the Saints at 1:35 p.m. A lot of people, me included, feel the Seahawks matchup very well with the Saints. Las Vegas has the Seahawks as at least a touchdown favorite.

The Seahawks are also the betting favorites to win the Super Bowl. Our John McGrath wrote that the Seahawks will be judged harshly if they do not win the Super Bowl. From McGrath:

Now consider the Mother of All Doomsday Scenarios: What if the Hawks don’t even reach the Super Bowl? How will their otherwise terrific season, which found them either setting or tying nine team records, be judged?

It will be judged harshly by a sports community where attention spans are short, and memory banks are long.

Seahawks fans might be unfamiliar with the experience of watching substantial favorites unraveling in the postseason, but those who followed the Mariners and SuperSonics know all about stunning collapses.

McGrath also wrote a column saying the Seahawks need to forget their earlier victory over New Orleans, because the Saints won’t. You can check that out here.

For today’s paper, I wrote about Golden Tate. At times, it seems his name should be changed to Humble Brag. His college coach, Charlie Weis, contends Tate is not arrogant.

“I wouldn’t call him arrogant because arrogant, I think, has a negative connotation,” Weis said. “I’d say he’s cocky and confident.”

Weis takes great pleasure in busting Tate’s chops. They remained friendly after Tate left Notre Dame and Weis has a bunch of nice things to say about Tate.

Obviously, Tate’s future as an unrestricted free agent following this season is one of the questions hanging over the Seahawks. Tate said being a free agent is “way, way, way in the back” of his mind.

“It’s something I won’t think about until the season is over with,” Tate said. “That’s something I’ll let the people upstairs worry about. I’ll let my agents do their work. That’s why I hired them. My job is to play football. I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible. Play football and do my job, and let the rest work out.

“I’ve done what I needed to do to set myself up, regardless if it is here or elsewhere,” Tate said. “So, I’m just going to show up to work every day and try to prove myself some more. We’ll see.”

One thing that didn’t make it into the story: I asked Tate, who is the third Golden in his family, how the name came about.

“Nothing really crazy about it; the first one was named Golden and they passed it down,” Tate said. “I just figure someone was wasted at some point.”

Couple housekeeping things:

> Pete Carroll is on 710 ESPN at 9:30 a.m. He speaks with reporters in a brief press conference afterward.

> We’ll have a live chat at 3 p.m. See you there.

Seahawks links:

> Syndicated columnist Norman Chad is not among those rooting for the Seahawks.

> 710 ESPN says the Saints and Seahawks will look different this time around.

> ESPN.com writes about Marshawn Lynch not talking and the subsequent fine he received.

> Seahawks.com says it’s not all about the Saints for Seattle.

> Can the Saints beat the Seahawks in CenturyLink?

Saints links:

> Sean Payton says the Seahawks are on a roll and present a great challenge for New Orleans.

> A Times-Picayune columnist says the Saints’ win Saturday was their grittiest since taking the Super Bowl title.

> Saints tight end Jimmy Graham does not have pleasant memories of New Orleans’ visit to Seattle earlier this season.

“It was embarrassing, humbling. It was all of the above, I guess you could say,” Graham said. “I certainly won’t ever forget that moment. And now we have a great opportunity to prove ourselves against one of the best teams in the NFL. It’s gonna be a battle, that’s for sure.”

> The Saints’ secondary is beat up, which could be a major problem for them Saturday.

> Payton was also pleased with the Saints’ road win.

Around the league:

> The San Francisco Chronicle writes that Colin Kaepernick’s “coolness in the clutch” led the 49ers to their win in Green Bay.

> A first-look at the Panthers-49ers sequel.

> SI writes that the Chargers could be sleepers.

> NFL.com with what we learned Wild Card weekend.

1. montanamike2 says:

I hope we find a way to keep Tate.

2. montanamike2 says:

The 49′rs have to play a real Defense next week, even if they escape with another win they will not be unscathed.

3. averagejay says:

I don’t see the 49ers beating the Panthers. A 3 point win at the bell over the worst defense in the playoffs is not the feel good moment they are making it out to be. I can’t believe how the talking heads think that was a dominant performance by San Fran. Sure, it was good enough defense to win, but not dominant. A low scoring two score differential against an good offense is dominant.

4. Southendzone says:

Norman Chad? When was the last time he was relevant? I think it was early/mid 80′s. Is he the only person that still thinks the 4 ex-wife jokes he puts in every article are amusing?

Also, the Tate article was cool, thanks for that one.

5. pabuwal says:

The 49ers won’t have to contend with -15 degree wind chills next week. The colder the weather, the closer the game – no matter the talent differential between the 2 teams.

I did take the Chargers at 40:1 to win the Super Bowl. The last 4 teams to play the Eagles in their home opener went on to win the Super Bowl.

6. pabuwal says:

I’m also wondering if all 4 teams cover this weekend despite taking the Chargers Super Bowl bet.

7. boycie99 says:

Well the National media are falling over themselves for the love in with the Niners and even Harbaugh is getting ahead of himself calling Crabtree the best catcher ever.
    Please!!!!!

Half of me wants the Panthers to put the Niners in their rightful place otherwise we will all hear how its a formality the Niners will bin the NFC and go on to win the Superbowl and the other half wants us to beat the Saints and then destroy the Niners as getting to the big dance that way will be even sweeter

What was with the Packers leaving Crabtree open on nearly every 3rd and long, I know they were beat up but still

8. boycie99 says:

Pabs, the Chargers have a good run game and will get after Manning like they did in the Regular season, I took the Chargers at 40:1 after seeing your stat last week on the last superbowl winners and think they have a great chance if they don’t get behind early and can establish the run to knock off the Broncos, heres hoping

9. montanamike2 says:

The Packers had no secondary.

I wonder if Carroll will allow Quinn and/or Bevell to interview this week?

11. Southendzone says:

What I like about the Chargers is the way the Offense can grind out LONG drives and burn the clock. They did it in their win vs Denver and also yesterday.

If KC could have done that at all they could have rode that huge cushion to an easy win.

The 49ers were without Crabtree against Carolina in Week 10, and Vernon Davis suffered a concussion during the game.

I just don’t think the Panthers have the weapons for Newton like the 49ers have for Kaepernick.

Carolina will need a few breaks to win the 49ers imo.

13. HawkFromDay1 says:

Wow that was the whiniest, non-journalism article I’ve ever seen – dude, Norman, what’s your deal?

14. TallyHawk says:

Norman Chad is a douche! He makes the WSOP unwatchable!

Where did Yank go?

16. What a great weekend of football! Those had to be three of the most entertaining wildcard games I have ever seen. Amazingly, the only team I thought was a sure win (Cincinnati), was the one that lost.

Say what you want about Luck and Kaepernick, both of them made elite plays when their teams needed them most. Those two guys are not going away anytime soon.

I like the match-up this weekend for us with the Saints. I do not think it will be a blowout again, but we should be able to win comfortably. Expect Peyton and Brees to come up with a few wrinkles we didn’t see last time. I was surprised at how well they were able to run with Ingram on Saturday, but that was against the Eagles.For Seattle, if Harvin does in fact see the field, and Willson makes it back from his injury, the offense will be more dynamic and gives us a huge edge.

17. jboard1 says:

The Panthers are much faster on Defense, especially on the edge. If they can stop Kaep on the edge unlike GB, they have a chance to beat them. Kaep is ridiculous if he can get to the edge and without those long runs by him, that game turns out different. It’s going to be a very good game in my opinion.

18. montanamike2 says:

What will the weather be like in Carolina this weekend?

19. Southendzone says:

One thing that is great about the WSOP coverage, is you can really tell that Lon McEarin (sp?) can hardly stand Norman Chad, to me it seems like he is using all of his willpower to hold back from punching him every time Chad opens his stupid yap.

20. Carolina has a better defense than GB but they have the worst remaining offense in the playoffs as well.

Their game will be different since SF now has Crabtree back – who did not play in the first meeting! Carolina has to get SF on the ropes and force them into a turnover or two or they, in all likelihood, will not be able to beat SF.

21. chuck_easton says:

“We have a chance to be very, very special. I don’t want to selfishly take away from myself or this team by worrying about what’s going to happen next year or what’s going to happen … will I be here or not? I’m just playing football right now.”

Just those two paragraphs tell me that Tate is looking to be compensated and rightfully so. He did go out in his contract year and have his best season. Now he’s going to want to be paid. This is still a concern for me going forward. What does he think is ‘fair’ and what can the Seahawks afford to pay?

22. I just want to get past NO this weekend – I feel it will be very different game than the last time around – they have guys back and other guys out.

Same with us I believe – (KJ out – Thurmond back)

Sproles being back will add another dimension to their attack that was totally lacking last time.

I still feel we win this one but we have had the tendancy to play down to the level of competition more than a few times this season so that also concerns me. If they come in over confident – it could be a long day for us.

23. Southendzone says:

Don’t worry about it Chuck, there’s no real way we can predict that now. he’s having a good season and proven valuable to the team. We can’t ask for anything more.

It will all work itself out.

24. ChrisHolmes says:

You are right chuck, and I sincerely hope that the two sides come together. I think Tate is worth some dollars. I hope the team finds a way to keep him, because as I’ve said in the past, you cannot have enough playmakers, and Tate is a playmaker. He’s electric. You gotta have those guys on your team.

I keep envisioning the empty formations next year, and the 4WR formations, with Tate and Harvin on the field at the same time, augmented with Baldwin, Kearse, Marshawn and Luke Wilson. Just try and stop it…

Hopefully we see some of that on Saturday as well.

“Where did Yank go?”

I would imagine the bluster has taken a temporary hit, since his awesome “predictions” have been so awful lately. And since Andrew Luck just made him look like an absolute tool.

But it won’t be long before he’s telling us how he was right all along about one thing or another, and how stupid we all are for not being as smart as him (although I’ll put my M card up against his gray matter any day).

25. thursday says:

Packers have hardly any defense and they don’t seem to change their gameplan after each subsequent loss to the Niners. Frankly, the only surprise in that game was that the Packers played them so tough. I don’t think they’ll have it as “easy” in Carolina.

The Chargers make me nervous. Besides the strange Eagles “curse”, they remind me a bit of the 2005 Steelers.

26. ChrisHolmes says:

“I just want to get past NO this weekend – I feel it will be very different game than the last time around – they have guys back and other guys out.

Same with us I believe – (KJ out – Thurmond back)”

No question, it won’t be the same game. New Orleands will make some adjustments. And we’re without KJ, who I thought was a huge part of taking away Graham.

That said, I still think we match up really well against them. Our secondary is light years better than Philly’s, and our pass rush should be better. And if Ryan wants to continue to try and blitz Wilson, I think he’ll make them pay.

Hoping for a good outcome, but obviously recent history tells us that anything can happen and being a favorite in the divisional round means nothing.

27. thursday says:

Wow. I just read that WP article. What a git. Does he even watch football? I see celebrating on defenses and first down catches on every team all the time. Some more than others, but come ON. I suddenly am full of glee that the Chiefs lost in choking fashion to the Colts.

28. FleaFlicker says:

Entertaining weekend for sure. KC was a dropped pass away from sealing a win in the 4th quarter…would have been a 4-0 sweep by road teams!

Saints have got me worried, have to be honest. This is the time we need a healthy Percy.

If we make it to the next round [knock on wood], either Carolina or SF will be beat up real good. I like that.

29. Brees throws occasional WR screens, but alotta RB screens, which replaces alotta their hand-off run-game, and they usually get good yardage, which is partially why their run-game stats are so much less than what they seem when looking at their actual games (and maybe why their passing game stats look so much better?) NO’s guards and center are among the best at screen blocking. Sure would be good to get an early TD on them…

30. MoSeahawk12 says:

Sproles played last time and had seven catches, all short gains. Our D did a great job containing him. That was also the first game that Thurmond was suspended and Maxwell’s first start. I thought Brees would eat him alive, but he held up well and now has four extra starts and much more game experience. The Saints D has taken some additional hits and are down several starters in the D backfield. If Ryan wants to blitz Wilson a ton like last time, he should continue to make him pay. Of course I’d imagine Ryan faking more blitzes this time as that plan didn’t work last time. I think we can take the Saints again. Our D is playing at a very high level.

31. Is it Saturday yet?

32. Vegas56 says:

Carolina’s defense will punish the Niners, particularly Kaepernick, much more than even the elements did in Green Bay. Green Bay has a soft defense, particularly their secondary. Carolina is something else altogether. At home, I think Carolina can/should win, but no matter what it will be a bruising affair. The problem for the Panthers will be scoring on the Niner defense consistently…hopefully they will stack up plenty of field goals and maybe get a defensive TD.

33. NO’s interior OL are poorly ranked at run-blkg, but they are still ranked higher than SEA’s interior OL. I don’t understand how SEA’s offense can perform with such seemingly sub-par offensive line run & pass blocking(?)

34. Vegas56 says:

I, for one, am happy for the Chargers and I’m happy to root for them on the AFC side!

35. pabuwal says:

I actually don’t see Ryan blitzing at all this time around. He’ll drop everyone into the zone and make the passing game win that way. His DBs won’t be able to stand up in zero coverage. He knows that this time. He clearly knew that on Saturday night as well. The way to kill the Seahawks passing game is to take away the 20 yard pass plays.

36. pabuwal says:

ok show of hands – how many people grabbed the Chargers at 40:1 to win the Super Bowl lol

37. FleaFlicker says:

Pabs, agreed. That’s where Luke Willson’s sprained ankle may hurt us. Limits our dink-and-dunk. Figure we probably go run heavy to start the game in order to open up late passes.

38. “Brees throws occasional WR screens, but alotta RB screens, which replaces alotta their hand-off run-game, and they usually get good yardage, which is partially why their run-game stats are so much less than what they seem when looking at their actual games (and maybe why their passing game stats look so much better?) NO’s guards and center are among the best at screen blocking.”

Agreed. However, the Seahawks are one of the best at recognizing and defending the screen. They’ve done it well all year. I was concerned about that screen pass game going into the regular season game, but the Seahawks snuffed it right off the bat.

39. What’s up Yank? You start off with your ‘hopes’ for a 7th round pick?

How about a little accountability? For just once. You’re quick to bark when you get things right (which is a lot less than 95%) but suddenly you’ve forgotten how to type.

smh

40. I’m withya yank – SEA could do worse than getting “black mamba” to return punts and KOs (especially if some other team mortgages the farm for Tate). Kinda reminds me of Dave Megget without the off-field stuff, and faster.

41. Vegas56 says:

I must admit Pabs that I did (I already had the Seahawks for NFC championship and Super Bowl championship from pre-season…the odds weren’t all that great, 3-1 for NFC in the pre-season, cripes). 40 to 1 are nice odds to lay a 20 on…

I’m going to suck it up and put 100 on the Seahawks to cover the spread this week. I think the line is a good, fair line at 8 or 8.5. As for betting, if not now, when?

42. tealskin says:

Can’t believe how many alternative scenarios there were over the weekend. Is it like this every year? Does every game come down to one key play or injury? Guess that’s what parity means. No one team kicks ass every week. Makes for nervewracking entertainment. Go Hawks! Defy the football gods.

43. Black Mamba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJXK1EuzkY (turn off the sound). What I also wonder about is if JS/PC would take a flier on Colt Lyerla as a walk-on? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

44. pabuwal says:

Maybe I’m mistaken lol….

45. As the number one seed in the NFC, should we feel slighted by the fact that we are not in one of the prime time games over the weekend? Somehow Tom Brady on Saturday and Peyton Manning on Sunday get the prime time games. Is this a sign of disprespect to the number one seed? Do we look at it as a positive and say–well, at least we have more practice time for the next weekend? Or do we look at past performance and say–Brady and Manning have won Super Bowls, they are the draw, and we need to put them on the big stage, since the NFL is all about the money, and until that team from South Alaska wins something, they can play the early game.
    Or maybe I’m just a whiner…..

46. “I think it’s been said a few times around here the past several years that the playoffs come down to which QB makes the clutch plays and which defense makes the clutch stop at the end of the game.”

I was thinking about this sentiment, which you’ve noted a few times of late – and the thought I had, was, is there any defense in the league which can consistently stop a quality offense from getting into FG range on an end of game drive?

The point being that on an end of the game drive (say w/in 4 mins or less to go), the offense has 4 downs on every set of downs, in which to gain their 10 yards. And even if they never go to 4th down, knowing that it is there to be used, changes what they can do (i.e. you can throw a 2-yd pass on 3rd and 8 and hope it turns into a first down when you know you still have 4th down to pick up the rest of the yards if need be). So, my question is, does knowing that it has 4 downs on every set of downs give the offense enough of an advantage that we can’t reasonably expect a defense to hold them out of FG range?

It does seem like in a lot of the playoff games we see, if it’s a close one, the team that ends up with the ball last, is the one that wins.

47. The 49′ers are a very good team in all phases. Kaep does not always make good decisions but he is definitely a gamer. I think they beat Carolina this weekend, easily.

NO does not scare me. Their weak link is Ryan. He was fired by Dallas for being a bad DC and he still is.

I hope the Chargers beat Denver. I still cannot stand the Broncos just because I never liked Elway. Old rivalries die hard I guess.

48. FleaFlicker says:

rodman: I think the playoff time slots are set by seeding and have been established even before the teams were set. Besides, if we get to the NFC Championship [knock on wood], we play the night game. Last time I checked, we tend to throttle people in night games at the C-Link. Glass half-full!

49. I think a top defense playing at home against a good offense should be able to make that stop. A top defense playing on the road against a mediocre to bad offense like the 49ers offense should be able to also make that stop. This assumes time isn’t an issue.

If there is under 1 minute left (ie the Falcons and Bears games last year), any good defense should make that stop anywhere and anytime.

50. “A top defense playing on the road against a mediocre to bad offense like the 49ers offense should be able to also make that stop.”

Not sure I agree – it’s giving the offense 25% more plays to get 10 yrds – that’s not nothing. We may hope/think it should happen, but I don’t know that it’s realistic.

Also, I don’t think that the Niners w/Crabtree are a mediocre offense. They’ve got Gore running behind a top-level O-line, three above-average receivers (Crab, Boldin, Davis), and the most dangerous running QB in the league.

Anyway, we shall see. I do love the balance our D now has with all the pass-rushers we can throw into the mix, that’s been the missing piece of our past couple strong defensive units.

51. chuck_easton says:

Seattle needs to come ready to play the Saints on Saturday. They don’t need to be thinking about any possible game the following weekend.

The Saints remember being completely embarrassed on National TV Monday December 2nd. They are going to come in loaded and ready. They have something to prove.

Seattle had better not treat this weekend like a ‘scrimmage’ or a ‘warm-up’ for the following week or there may not be a following week.

Anybody who is not afraid of the Saints obviously slept through this weekend. You didn’t see the little regarded Chargers lay a butt whooping on the Bengals. You must not have seen how the Saints controlled the ball for the final 5 1/2 minutes of the game to drive down into FG range and leave no time on the clock.

The D better come to play and the offense needs to find it’s groove again.

I worry when people on this blog start prdicting an easy win, a blow-out, and a relaxing day at the offense while on the way to bigger and better things.

I seem to recall the words ‘easy win’, ‘blow-out’ and ‘no contest’ being bandied about prior to the Arizona game, the TB game, the Texans game, the Indy game…how’d that work out for the team?

It’s one and done time. Sure Seattle would likely beat the Saints 7-10 times. But lets hope we don’t see one of the 3-10 times this weekend.

52. “Who is this 49rs you keep speaking of? There is only one other team in the NFL and it is the Saints.”

fair enough – they’re just on my mind b/c I watched their game yesterday. agree that you can’t overlook any team in the playoffs, and the Saints are fully capable of beating us if we aren’t playing our best game. and I’d never predict an easy win or blowout against another playoff-level team.

53. yankinta says:

joreb,, lol sorry, it’s been a very busy morning for me,, yeah I went 1-3 in my prediction this past weekend… although I was wrong in my predictions,, the teams I said I’d be cheering for won,, except for the colts game… I was not cheering for them, a surprise?? yeah, I know,, lol. I’m very happy with the Chargers winning and facing, Saints winning and letting 49ers duke it out with Panthers. I’m also very happy with Colts visiting Pats,, Colts will get blown out….. I’m not worried about the Saints this weekend. We just gotta stop the run, that’s all. Can’t give up over 100 yards like Eagles did. Our Offense and RW will be just fine. :)

klm008,, it would be exciting to have Black Mamba here. Imagine a triple read option with Black Mamba and Christine Michael in 2-3 years…. that would just be unstoppable… :)

54. yankinta says:

My Ranking of the remaining QB’s in the Playoff :)

1) Brady
    2) RW
    3) Riers
    4) Brees
    5) Manning
    6) CK
    7) Newton
    8) Luck

Remember, it’s just my opinon….let’s hears yours… :)

55. ChrisHolmes says:

I’d rather have Luck quarterbacking my playoff team than Rivers, Kaepernick or Newton.

56. drshort says:

Would love to see Tate remain, but I don’t see the Hawks being in a position to match what he will likely receive from others. You need to resign Earl Thomas or Sherman this year so that you have franchise tag as leverage on the other after next season.

57. yankinta says:

drshort,, the only way we lose Golden Tate would be if/when we win Super Bowl, which would raise his value wayy,, up,, in which case, I’d be okay with it since he’d be considered a top tier Free Agent and we’d get 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick in 2015. :)

58. drshort says:

I dunno. I look at this:

and see it likely Tate gets $6+M a year. Not sure how you squeeze that in with the upcoming contracts to thomas, sherman, wilson, etc. when we have so little room in the cap as it is. Tough decisions area coming.

59. yankinta says:

Yup, if Tate command more than 6 Mil a year,, it’s time for us to move on. like I said we’d get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him,,so I think it’s a win win… We’ll definitely be drafting a WR with our top 2 round picks this year….. WR Talent is sooo good for the first 2 rounds this year. I hear Scouts are saying this is the best WR Draft in the last 10 years….

60. SandpointHawk says:

Yank, Richard Sherman disagrees with you. Of course Rogers is gone but still…

61. ChrisHolmes says:

A 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick is not a “win”. It takes years for receivers to develop in the NFL. Any receiver picked in the 3rd or 4th round is going to take 2-3 years to become as productive as Tate is right now, *if* that receiver even has the potential to be as productive as Tate.

It’s already taken Tate several seasons to become the threat he is now.

The only receivers who even have a chance to be productive right away are 1st round guys, and even then it’s less than 50% success rate. Guys like Julio Jones and Megatron don’t come along every year.

It doesn’t matter how deep the draft is either. Receivers take time to develop and learn the NFL game.

Tate is a proven commodity right now. In this system, with this team, he’s a playmaker. He’s electric. He and Wilson have chemistry. You can’t buy that. And you can’t reliably draft it.

You don’t “win” when you let a proven playmaker go as a free agent and exchange him for a draft pick that will take years to develop – if that player develops at all. This isn’t the Madden video game.

If it’s $6M a year, sign him. Get it done. We have guys who are going to go away and some cuts to make. Figure out a way to keep one of your more potent offensive weapons.

ChrisHolmes-
    Baldwin did pretty good his first year and he wasn’t drafted.
    Cruz for the NY Giants is another one.

Kearse isn’t half bad either for not being drafted.

63. Sandpoint that is a GREAT article – Sherman is bound to be a analyst when he is done – he is going to be great!!

SandpointHawk- That article was posted here three days ago. Just saying.

65. I missed it the first time around so I am glad he reposted :)

Can’t wait to see how this weekend shakes out – got my ticket confirmation the other day!!1

66. Chris – but you don’t need the guy to be Tate – you need Harvin, Baldwin, Rice (if around) or Kearse to take Tate catches and then you need the new guy to take the role that they had. That is the way teams continue to win over long stretches of time.

Look at NE – they lock up Brady and a few other people – and just keep developing the parts around them. They also sign a FA here or there but rarely ever a big name guy

67. Right, Yankinta. We’ll just let Tate walk and replace him with another great 4th round pick like Chris Harper or Kris Durham. No problem. And we dont have our third round pick because we traded that for the myth.

The toughest, strongest WR on our team is Tate by far. Baldwin has the tenacity, but just cant take the beating Tate can. Harvin is nothing at this point but a rumor. Rice is garbage. Kearse is going to be a fine player, but isnt ready to start till next year.

Sad thing is, if Rice is worth 7-8 million the past few years, Tate is worth more than that. He’s obviously capable of far better stats than Rice.

When Tate makes plays, this offense moves and we win. When they dont work to get him the ball, we lose, or at least struggle mightily. The guy’s potential is through the roof, and he’s proven over the last few games that he can take a beating no other WR on our team can, and still keep ticking. And he keeps improving–he’s going to get a lot better.

Rather than start over or backfill, they better sign Tate. It wont look good to sign a malcontent malingerer like Harvin, then let Tate go after all he’s given us the last couple years. But yes, its gonna come down to how much other teams are willing to pay Tate that decides if we can keep him.

68. ChrisHolmes–Exactly. Well said.

69. Hawks3–Dude, I hope you didnt write that article on Chancellor. That writing is on a third grade level.

70. SandpointHawk says:

Right GeorgiaCracker, but when you sober up, go over the string again and you will see I posted it for Yankinta. I fully realize Todd posted it Friday morning but Yankinta must have missed it. Just saying.

71. yankinta says:

lol,, Fellas, I never said we’re drafting a WR with the compensatory pick that we’d get for Tate. That pick will be in 2015. We’re already gonna draft a WR with our 1st or 2nd rd pick. smh… :)

72. I take that back. That wasnt fair. I thought that was a pro article by a reporter, not a fan blog. Different expectations. Im also grouchy as hell with a bad cold. Not much of an excuse, I guess sometimes Im just a jerk.

Anyway, I liked the article on Luke Willson. He’s gonna be fun to watch as he develops. He’s got a ways to go, but he’s learning fast….hope he comes back from that ankle sprain soon, and at 100%.

73. ChrisHolmes says:

“Baldwin did pretty good his first year and he wasn’t drafted.
    Cruz for the NY Giants is another one.

Kearse isn’t half bad either for not being drafted.”

And none of those guys is Tate.

I love Baldwin and Kearse, but they’re not the cat-quick, explosive playmaker that Tate is. Tate manufactures YAC. He’s agile and his ability to adjust to passes in mid-air is amazing. He’s a threat. A weapon.

There just aren’t many of those guys in the league. We have two of them in Harvin and Tate, right now. Other teams have zero. I say you keep what you have. When you know you have something special, you hang on to it.

74. ChrisHolmes says:

“We’re already gonna draft a WR with our 1st or 2nd rd pick. ”

And that still doesn’t change a thing.

1st and 2nd round WR’s rarely make immediate impact. Go do the history. Actually go and do the research and look something up for once instead of spouting off and being brainless.

Rice isn’t going to be here, so that variable gets eliminated.

That leaves the team with Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse.

Now, I like those guys, and I think Harvin is a weapon as well, but why limit yourself to those three guys when you can have Tate too?

Bevell likes to run a lot of 4WR and 5WR empty sets (with Marshawn being a 5th). If you put Harvin and Tate on the field at the same time (something I hope we see this weekend, so we all get a taste), then you are putting TWO very explosive, cat-quick, agile receivers on the field. You are putting PRESSURE on a defense. Lots of pressure…

Good defense can stop a team with one good WR. Hell, OUR defense has been doing it all season. The 49ers were harder to defend when Crabtree joined Bolden, right? How about Roddy White & Julio Jones? Not quite the same team when one guy went down with injury, were they? How different of a team were the Bears once they had Alshon Jeffery to team with Marshall?

And a much as I like Baldwin and Kearse, those guys are middling receivers. Watch the tape. They don’t get open on their own very often. We saw this ALL SEASON LONG. Our WR’s are not great.

But Tate and Harvin… those dudes are special. And Tate is only getting better.

I just don’t think that you can teach the things that Tate does. He’s acrobatic, instinctive, electric after the catch. Determined, relentless… I take a deep breath every time the ball heads his way because he has what it takes to break it on any play.

I just think you find a way to compensate the guy and keep him on the team.

Oh yeah, and he’s healthy. Has been. Knock on wood, but I really think a guy like him, who plays with such abandon and agility and tries so hard to get every last yard, and he still is healthy every year… That’s another thing you have to factor into it. He’s a receiver who stays on the field.

I just think some of you guys are undervaluing him.

75. ChrisHolmes–I agree. But I think that while Baldwin isnt the athlete Tate is, his football smarts, passion, and precision make him a pretty fine WR. He’s also getting better. My only concern with him is durability; I know he plays hurt, but he always seems to have something bothering him. I think Kearse will be a special player, perhaps as soon as next year. He’s a good player, just not ready to be a starter yet.

But yes, we need a starting caliber WR at Fl or SE with some speed–and Kearse and Baldwin, while fast enough, arent burners like Tate and Harvin. We need them all, and I think Seattle fully intends to keep them together.

Not so sure they keep Sherman.