Carroll on Saints game: ‘It has nothing to do with what happened before’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:35 am with 17 Comments »
January 6, 2014 11:37 am

Here’s what Pete Carroll said to reporters Monday:

When you beat a team like that, how much do you retain and how much do you throw out?) We start all over again. It has nothing to do with what happened before. We learned and we gained information in the game, as they did. We start all over again, we start from scratch. Take a look at what’s happened since we played them. Compare the build-up, what have they done coming into the game, what did they do, what’s happened since then. I think it’d be a mistake to try to call because what’s happened in the past and all that. We don’t care about that.

How do they look different?) They run the ball a little bit more. On the road they have. Their numbers are up a little bit in that regard. Their numbers have changed. Other than that, they’re just functioning like a really good group. They’re really physical up front on defense. Very tough, tough-minded group on that side of the ball. Poses a good challenge for us.

Have they shown more commitment to running the ball?) There’s more numbers. They ran a little bit more. They ran quite a bit at Philadelphia. And it could have been because of that offense, the conditions and all of that, as well. We’ll have to see how that figures into our game.

Any significant advantage to knowing Saturday night who your opponent is going to be?) Yeah, it was hours of difference. We would have known at 4, 5 o’clock yesterday otherwise. So, in that regard it helps us that they won and we get to jump into the plan.

When it comes to not reading too much into the previous result, is that something your players will do automatically?) No, no, no. There’s no automatics here. They’re going to hear about it. I think it’s just common knowledge that it’s human nature … you’d like to think that it’s going to be the same, but we know better than that. We have to respect this opportunity for what it is. It’s a great championship matchup for us. They’re going to come loaded up and give us a great football game.

Takeaways from what you saw over Wild Card weekend?) It was a fantastic weekend. The games were extraordinary. The performance level of the quarterbacks I thought across the board was really, really exciting to see. Guys coming through. You saw the hometown comebacks. You saw the road teams kick it. It was really a cool weekend of football, I thought. Especially the quarterback play. Those guys came through in so many situations and really lived up to the moments.

Three winners were road teams) It’s truth. It doesn’t matter. Road teams can obviously get it done. Had the story been the other way, we would have had to deal with that as well. Get to the truth of it, what happened.

Here is his appearance on 710 ESPN:

1. Killing some time with Percy Harvin on YouTube

2. tealskin says:

Normally I find Norm Chad to be only mildly annoying, and sometimes even funny. The hit piece on PC and Hawks is some kind of low. Guess it shouldn’t matter but I kind of hope for a higher standard, even for snarkiness.

3. IF Percy plays, I think Baldwin comes up big for us. Just a gut feeling, but with NO decimated secondary, DB89 should have a field day!!

4. jawpeace says:

I know the draft is far from every ones mind but as I was reading this article and it said, “Zach Mettenberger, who got more and more draft buzz as the season wore on, tore his ACL in early December. CBS’s draft writer Rob Rang says it could push him into the second day of the draft, even though he’s a first-round talent.”
    If this guy is there at the end of the third round, do the Hawks draft him and then develop him behind Wilson and then trade him for a future first round pick?

5. GeorgiaRay says:

Thanks blocis…love PH’s explosiveness, then love the hit by Sherman that ended his season…

6. drshort says:

I watched the Percy Harvin video and there were several times when he was about to get hit and he would turn his body and almost lead with his hip into the defender. Maybe those just stuck out to me because of the injury.

It will be interesting to see if the Seahawks use him the same way with so many touches coming behind the line. Or will they make him more of a downfield target?

7. Yes, I was also surprised by all of the touches from behind the line of scrimmage. Since its the same offensive coordinator (Bevell) its fair to expect something similar when (if) Percy plays again.

Saturday is a looong way away. :(

8. Speaking of the draft….. I hope we make a major investment in the o-line this year. I think its the one area where SF is significantly better than us.

blocis – My 2 cents is we will not see Harvin with touches “behind the line”. I would be very surprised to see Seattle put him in a position of increased contact, which getting the ball behind the line certainly does.

10. I never understood when the vikings put harvin in at running back. Same if Seattle does it. They have two of the best running backs in the nfl right now, why beat the hell out of your star wide receiver?

RADEoN- Perhaps you can enlighten your understanding if you were to acknowledge that DanielleMND has far more football understanding than you do.
    You could learn a thing or two from her if you wanted to.

12. toastmaster says:

Sometimes wish we could “like”comments on here:D

13. Anyone like to see FSU #1 as a hawk? 6-5 good hands? just sayin

14. xcman–Hes big, but he dropped several passes. Several being at least three that I saw, and I watched less than half the game.

15. I can’t wait for Saturday. Our Hawks against a rival I also love to watch.

Right about now the Saints are watching film of the Seahawks… and they are shaking in their shoes.

And that’s film of the Seahawks without Percy Harvin. He he he.

Geaux Hawks!