Morning Links: Tate talking the talk

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:19 am with 51 Comments »
December 26, 2013 1:19 am
Golden Tate asks Janoris Jenkins what he's doing for dinner after the game. / AP photo
Golden Tate asks Janoris Jenkins what he’s doing for dinner after the game. / AP photo

Good morning.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. We’re back to it today. Conversations with Jeff Fisher, Robert Quinn, Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman are coming up.

As we touched on the other day here in the blog, Golden Tate plans to avoid penalties but not shut down all the talk between him and the St. Louis Rams.

The Pro Bowl fan vote ends today. The Pro Bowl roster will be announced at 3 p.m. Friday on the NFL Network. Our Dave Boling takes a look at some Seahawks who are deserving but are unlikely to be named to the squad.

> Jon Kitna says he will donate his game check from the week of work with the Dallas Cowboys to Lincoln High School. It should be around $53,000.

> ESPN writes about the Seahawks being strong at home against the Rams.

> This is from a few days ago, but still interesting. Monday Morning Quarterback’s Greg Bedard breaks down Carson Palmer’s game-winning touchdown pass.

> A non-highlight from James Carpenter is highlighted by SI.com’s Audibles blog.

> The Rams’ run defense is clamping down.

> Also of note from yesterday, Rams WR Tavon Austin (ankle) and DE Chris Long (thigh) were listed as did not participate in what would have been Wednesday’s practice.

Classy thing for John Kitna to do.

2. montanamike2 says:

I’m going ice fishing this morning with some friends in my 5th wheel today. I’ve gone many times but i’m still a little fearful because i fell through the ice when i was a young man logging in BC. I guess it’s a semi-phobia. I may have to go to the little town nearby on Sunday to watch the game, so i won’t be back until a few days later. I’m kind of stoked that one of my favorite cousins chose FT.Lewis as their new location based on the time they visited me while i was in Tacoma. Before it was all crappy desert bases and their kids are going to love all the things they can suddenly do. Now i have a reason to go back and maybe even take in 1-2 Hawks games. It also presents me with an opportunity to meet some of you in person if you’re up to it. I’m still very anxious about this game on Sunday, but have a positive feeling.

3. confucious says:

Montana, Use a fishin pole instead of your fifth wheel and you probabaly won’t break through.

Seriously though, Ice fishin is nuts imho. too dangerous. I’m going fly fishing for steelhead on the deschutes this morn. love to fish.

Have fun and be safe.

4. montanamike2 says:

Thanks confucious, i seriously need this win on Sunday. I’d rather be steelhead fishing too but i’ll have to go inland for that.

From the SI.com piece: “Even the best quarterbacks under pressure have their breaking points, and Seattle’s offensive line must improve quickly if any Super Bowl aspirations are to be met this season.”

Truer words have never been spoken (or written, in this case).

6. wallinator says:

ICYMI Interview with Jon Kitna talking football & his work at Lincoln HS http://www.double-s-xpress.com/shows.html

7. Hammajamma says:

The “we do what we do” philosophy may be hurting the run game. Without a physically or technically dominant O-line, defenses appear well prepared. Too often Lynch isn’t getting to the LOS before contact and anything off tackle is a guaranteed 2yard loss. I realize this offense is based on play action, but the run game is not challenging defenses schematically. Didn’t Harbaugh surprise Seattle with a trap package last year? Maybe Cable and Bevell need to realize they have a minus O-line and get a little more creative. Mano a Mano isn’t working.

8. Ya I hope they take the lack of a running game seriosuly. Pete has made remarks almost as if he isn’t worried about it. But without lynch busting out large gains from time to time, play action will not be as effective. That is all on the oline…against AZ they had some good blocks and opened up a couple lanes for Lynch, but after that, lynch was getting smacked before the LOS alot. IMO this is the biggest thing they need to fix in order to get the offense moving better. Here is to hoping they get it figured out…Gotta beat the Rams this week. MUST win

9. Always liked Kitna. What a class move.

BTW – I was at the game Sunday. I don’t feel like this was completely on RW. He had a couple of miscues but this was all about the penalties and officiating. Felt like our guys weren’t going to catch any breaks from the officials from the start and frustration ensued. Defense was aces for the most part.

Carpenter can’t even tackle the defender to keep him from sacking the QB. At least Sweezy can do that well.

It’s time to start Bowie at LG and sit Carpenter until he gets his weight down to 350 lbs.

The Rams are going to have a field day rushing the passer,(imo) if Carpenter and McQuistan are in there.

11. Good morning. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Catching up in the previous threads from yesterday, a blogger I was unfamiliar with suggested that Bowie get moved to left guard.

It was the first time I’ve heard of it here (or anywhere) and thought it was an interesting suggestion.

Admittedly, I’m not one that has developed the eye for watching the line and not the ball, so to those of you that do…what do you think about his suggestion? I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts as I’ve been impressed with the rookie when he’s gotten a chance.

12. PDXCOP80 says:

I wish people would stop blaming the officiating for last weeks loss. I was at the game also, and the poor play of Wilson had way more to do with this loss than any flag. He just plain missed throws, made a couple poor decisions and was off most of the day. This had a direct effect of not being able to run the ball. If he makes some of those throws, the run game benefits and Lynch has over 100 yards by end. This team relies on Wilson and needs him to snap out of his 3 game funk to carry us past the Rams and into the playoffs.

13. Still getting caught up so sorry if repeated.

I saw Bevell mention that the offense is 5-26 on 3rd downs the last two weeks. Seven 3 and out’s last week.

Get that up to league average and we beat the Cards.

14. yakimahawk says:

Paul Moyer on w Danny on Brock and Danny…Has really good comments about what is going on. Saying the receivers were really, really bad last week…Tune in, he is on for 3 hours today.

15. Southendzone says:

I’m in the same boat, I don’t usually watch the game with the intent or ability to focus on the play of an interior O-Lineman and say if he is great or terrible. You can see it in a LT if he is stonewalling the rusher or getting beat terribly.

But when places like PFF are constantly grading our guards as the worst in the league, I assume they have some amount of credibility. I’m fully on-board with the idea of getting Carp off the field and putting Bowie in. He seems solid and solid > worst in the league.

16. I thought ARI played us a lot like the Rams played earlier this year, which is to crowd the LOS, put lots of pressure on Wilson, and rattle him. It was almost successful in the first Rams game, and was successful for the Cards so I don’t know why the Rams won’t do the same again this weekend. I am not sure that coming in at 4am to study film is going to help that. Wilson and Bevell need to dial up more pressure beating plays, and getting the ball out of RW’s hands much quicker, IMO.

17. yakimahawk says:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9965472&p=1007&n=Brock and Danny

Here is link click on “listen” in right hand corner

18. seaturkeys says:

I was disappointed in RW’s play last week but I think it was more the receivers fault. I saw some balls bouncing off hands.

19. yakimahawk says:

They had 6 drops last week. Yes some were hard to catch but they have to make those plays.

20. thursday says:

Lol @ that angry Rams fan in the picture.

I definitely don’t absolve Wilson of some blame, he made some bad decisions and bad throws, but it was more on the receivers and the blocking. As mentioned above, I have seen them catch those balls in the past and this time they just didn’t. At some point bad blocking and dropped passes gets into a QB’s head. And Lynch turned several plays that should have been 2 yard losses into 2 yard gains just doing what he does. Carpenter was the worst and Bowie was mostly good and I also think he should get moved to left guard.

There’s definitely a reason PFF is rating our line, esp guards, badly, because they ARE. And they do that by watching every play by every guy, so it’s not just conjecture.

Yes, the officiating was frankly, awful, but had we played better we still could have won the game, so I’m not gonna side with that kinda copout.

21. Just like Kearse gave a boost to the Offense after replacing a hobbled Rice, it’s time for Lockette to do the same for a hobbled Kearse.

22. MoSeahawk12 says:

Cool video about our fans and what they do to help the team win. It’s only weird if it doesn’t work!

Wilson is just as much to blame as anyone else for the loss. He has more control and say, (being a QB) than any other player.

As he grows and gains more experience he will step up more and say to Bevell or whoever that “this isn’t working” or “that isn’t working” or “get a different lineman in here before he lets the D kill me” or “let’s get Willson and Miller more involved” ect…

Just growing pains for a good but young QB.

24. sluggo42 says:

Montana, come down here to SoCal, and I’ll take you bass fishing in a boat. It’s a thing that floats on top of the water… Hehe

Good story on Kam who I think is deserving to be in the Pro Bowl.

26. wazzulander says:

It’s nice to see the comments getting more and more rational as we get further away from last Sunday.

Pabuwal, I think u usually have a lot of good takes but I don’t get your current fixation on lokette > rice, or Wilson’s last drive statistics.

The whiners were desperate for WRs when they cut him earlier this year so it’s hard to believe he can be the difference maker you describe. As for Wilsons final drive stats, you are talking about a ridiculously small sample size with several mitigating circumstances – Hail Marys, drops, etc. I’ll trust my eyes that Wilson is indeed a clutch player, last week being an aberration.

Check this out from Seahawks.com-

Dave Ross of MyNorthwest.com has a Christmas-inspired musical tribute to running back Marshawn Lynch. It’s a song to the tune of “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” and it’s definitely worth a listen. I’ve also laid out the lyrics below. Enjoy.

You’re a mean one, Marshawn Lynch!
    The way you just refuse to fall
    I will say for what it’s worth
    You intimidate Big Bertha, Marshawn Lynch!

You’re like a 25-ton bulldozer zig-zagging through a mine field with a maniac at the controls!

You’re a fast one, Marshawn Lynch!
    You grew up where life was rough
    You know just what it takes to fight for every break, Marshawn Lynch!

I’d no sooner stand between you and the end zone than I’d stand between Homer Simpson and a 6-pack of Duff!

If you tackle, Marshawn Lynch
    Be prepared for what you face
    When they peel you from the stack, his cleats are in your back, Marshawn Lynch!

I would say that standing in front of you is more dangerous than going to the Bellevue Square parking deck the day before Christmas and standing in front of the last space!

The Seahawks aren’t the only team with O-line troubles this season. It just seems like the Ram’s have the better depth.

29. The Seahawks haven’t had too many 4th quarter deficits, but Wilson has managed to throw an INT in every game with that situation. Knowing this, I had zero trust he would be able to bring them back in the Cardinals game. According to Todd, he threw a “putrid” pass to Baldwin for yet another INT.

And I blame him for that 49ers INT. Throwing that Hail Mary was stupid. Even if Kearse caught it, the game would have been over. His best bet was to try to complete a few 10-15 yard sideline passes (or even one quick throw deep over the middle) and then throw the Hail Mary into the endzone.

Last year it was fairly obvious the Seahawks season would be ended with the other QB putting together a last minute game winning drive after Wilson put together some late game heroics.

Now it almost seems the Seahawks have to not hope for a close game in the playoffs because the Defense won’t be able to hold a 1 score lead and Wilson won’t be able to work any end of game magic. The double whammy!

30. Cmon pabuwal time to step away from the ledge. Wilson played poorly last week and the D had a couple dumb penalties on the last drive which had a lot to do with the final result. I think our game in NY got us thinking of a return trip in February. We will play better this weekend and we will win.

31. Wk 8 SEA @ STL, RW attempted only 18 passes out of 25 drop backs:
    No pressure: 13 drop backs, 9 of 13 (69.2C%) for 137 yds, 0 sacks, 129.3 NFL QB rtg.
    Pressure: 12 drop backs, 1 of 5 (20C%) for 2 yds, 7 sacks, 79.2 NFL QB rtg.
    No Blitz: 10 drop backs, 6 of 8 (75C%) for 113 yds, 2 sacks, 156.3 NFL QB rtg.
    Blitzed: 15 drop backs, 4 of 10 (40C%) for 26 yds, 5 sacks, 47.9 NFL QB rtg.
    note that PFF gives full sacks where others give half-sacks.

Wk 16 AZ @ SEA, RW attempted 24 aimed passes out of 33 drop backs:
    No Pressure: 19 drop backs, 9 of 17 (52.9C%) for 103 yds, 0 sacks, 66.5 NFL QB rtg.
    Pressure: 14 drop backs, 2 of 10 (20C%) for 5 yds, 4 sacks, 39.6 NFL QB rtg.
    No Blitz: 18 drop backs, 6 of 15 (40C%) for 70 yds, 2 sacks, 77.1 NFL QB rtg.
    Blitzed: 15 drop backs, 5 of 12 (41.7C%) for 38 yds, 2 sacks, 15.3 NFL QB rtg.

I hope Kitna’s donation is deductible.

PFF gave RW zero dropped passes. I don’t see how that could be possible since the receivers touched the ball with both hands(?)

32. SEA’s offense has to do better on the 1st/2nd combination of downs. Too many 3rd and longs (4th and punts) and even the greatest D in history get winded by the end of the game. Give the ball to ML until he tells RW to make some plays to win the game.

33. MikeFromNewJersey says:

All we need is a nice easy win on Sunday to get everybody feeling good again. I think people on her sometimes forget that every team is made up of professional’s who try and prepare and watch film just as hard as our Seahawks do. So sometimes the other team takes it to you. It happens so now we move on and deliver a beat down on the Rams.

34. HawkyHann says:

Looking forward to watching both Marshawn- this teams identify and DangeRuss take this team to the Superbowl. These pro bowlers will ball their faces off. Watch. Im not a bit nervous because they are ballers and shine in the biggest of games. You better k ow that

35. sluggo42 says:

Anyone know the spread against the rams?

36. HawkyHann says:

Plus I just scored a NFC championship ticket in club level on 50 yard line. I’ll be watching this team high step it into the Superbowl. Hyphee style

37. MikeFromNewJersey says:

sluggo, 10.5

38. sluggo: Seahawks are 10 point favorites as of right now in most places down here. Terrible line just like last week (last week’s line scared me away – Seahawks -9.5), thankfully scared me away. I don’t like this one either, that’s just too many points to give for a team that struggling to put points on the board. The Seahawks could win comfortably and still not cover that line.

39. Something that I wrote about Russell Wilson and the joy that he has brought us fans during this Christmas time. Go Hawks!!

sluggo42 – Hilton has it currently at Seattle -11 (opened at -10.5).

41. chuck_easton says:

I got to be at the game on Sunday. It was apparent from the first series that Wilson was not right. His passes were sailing and on more than one occasion he made a bad choice of either throwing into coverage, leaving the pocket too soon or holding the ball too late. It was a weird day for him. It just seemed that whatever decision Wilson made on Sunday was the wrong choice for that particular play.

I even saw Wilson revert back to a very bad habit he showed early last season where his first option was the scramble backwards and to his right which led to more than one third down failure.

All in all a very bad day for him. I don’t think he’s regressing and I’m not worried that he isn’t still on his way towards potentiality being one of the all time great QBs.

I just think he had a bad day. I think he was trying too hard. And I think he was trying to do it all himself.

We have all had those days at work where you know within the first few minutes that it just isn’t going to be your shining moment. Wilson had his. He will learn from the experience and he will bounce back.

Now, let’s see what happens this week. I’m still worried about the Rams, but I get the strong feeling the 49rs are about to face the buzz saw that is the best team to not make the play offs this year. I honestly think the 9rs are going to lose Sunday. While I’d rather the Seahawks win their way into HFA I’m not as worried that they MUST win.

42. Southendzone says:

Haha Chuck, I was at the game last week too, just in case it was my fault I’m not going back this week (though I was also at many of the win-streak games too).

This season, every game I get to is a total frustrating nail biter of an event, the other one I attended was Tampa Bay. Last week was so rough I may not even watch this one. Bury my phone in the closet and go for a long walk, I was steaming for 3 days about last Sunday’s loss.

43. banosser says:

I too have a sneeky feeling the Cards will beat the 9ers in AZ… unless Keapernik gets one long scramble to lead to one additional score… either way we’ll see how the 9ers are playing cuz they are going into a buzz saw down there imo..

Going to the Clink this Sunday.. was hoping it was going to be a non factor game.. guess not.. Hawks will win cuz they’re playing for something.. Rams won’t roll over we all know that.. but Hawks will win

44. MoSeahawk12 says:

Losing last week won’t be the end all. This team has the talent, skill, heart and desire to go further than any Seahawks team before them. Let’s tune up this week and go on a seriously wicked playoff run!

Thanks Danny O’Neil.
    “Over the previous nine seasons, there have been 14 teams that entered the playoffs riding a winning streak of five or more regular-season games. Of those 14 teams, none won the Super Bowl. Not one. And not only that, but six of the 14 lost their first playoff game.”

45. abqhwkfn says:

I think we need to put heavy emphasis on the screen play this week. Get the ball out fast. We also need a heavy dose of Beast running right at Quinn and Long. Throw in some designed QB draw plays up the gut. Anything to slow down the edge pass rush. I still have little confidence in the WRs. I just dont see anyone on the roster capable of drawing extra coverage, finding spots to beat zone or dominating his man. If I was PC or Bevell, Id find a way to get Willson and Zack more involved.

46. abqhwkfn says:

We have got to keep Zac Stacy under control. This guy has been a terror. I dont think Clemons will be picking apart the LOB but Stacy can make it a loooong day on D.

Southendzone and Chuck, please don’t go to the game this Sunday. Lol.

48. raymaines says:

Southendzone: Last years loss in Miami had that effect on me. I couldn’t watch the following week’s game in Chicago and missed THE RW turning point game and one of the best games the Seahawks have ever played.

Hang in their, buddy.

This from a guy that is just now getting back to the blog after the dirty, rotten, miserable, disgusting, disappointing, lousy, crappy AZ game. I’ll be in front of the TV for all three hours on Sunday though.

Ain’t we spoiled though! That was our second year QB’s worst professional game, against a red hot division rival, at least four dropped passes, and the Seahawks still only lost by 7 points. In Russ I Truss…

Go ‘Hawks!