News, notes and quotes: Sherman takes a shot at draft assessors

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm with 10 Comments »
December 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Not a lot happening at VMAC today. Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson took the podium.

Sherman was asked why he thinks the Seahawks have been so adept at snagging draft picks outside of the first round who have turned out to be quality players. He had an interesting answer.

“It helps when you don’t listen to the idiots in the (TV) draft room,” Sherman said. “You know what I mean? When you don’t listen to the idiots you find players like Jeremy Lane, Byron Maxwell, myself, Russell Wilson and the list goes on. If you sit there and listen to the idiots like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay and people like that, you miss a lot of good players.”

> Russell Wilson said he “loves the blitz” because there is a lot of green grass behind it. He should be thrilled Sunday then. Arizona blitzes about half the time and did it almost 70 percent of the time in the first game against Seattle this year.

> Wilson said his No. 1 goal is to be consistent and said he has been better at that this season.

> Wilson also said that Marshawn Lynch “could play receiver in the National Football League.”

> Sherman said he thinks that Arizona is a more confident team at this point.

> Sherman also said he thinks the team as a whole is “finally getting close to playing up to our potential.”

> To fill Brandon Browner’s roster spot, the Seahawks signed WR Bryan Walters from the practice squad and re-signed DT Michael Brooks to the practice squad.

> Kam Chancellor was not fined for his 15-yard personal foul in the Giants game. Chancellor said he tried to pull his head back and even lightened up on the hit, yet was still flagged.

1. Might be interesting to get Mel Kiper’s take on being called out as an idiot. Would be most entertaining I think.

2. spencerdt says:

No surprise Chancellor was not fined, it was a great hit. Now if he had only wrapped up. So far for Kam it is 30 yards and no fines. Maybe the refs will finally start to pay attention.

Nah, that won’t happen

3. mindnbrad says:

My guess is that while Mel and Todd might not appreciate being called idiots, they recognize the un-scientific nature of their jobs….

4. yankinta says:

Idiots, indeed!!!

5. ChrisHolmes says:

You can call Kiper and McShay “idiots” (and I tend to agree with that assessment on the latter), but the truth is that professional GM’s and scouts miss on guys all the time. It’s not just the talking heads.

I think the reason Seattle has been successful lately is because they evaluate players “differently” than other teams. They value different traits. They’re not concerned with getting the well-rounded player, or the kid from the big school. They’re concerned with finding guys who have at least one really good skill and the ability to be taught a system, and they’re concerned with finding guys who are passionate about playing football and who are willing to learn. Guys with good attitudes, work ethics, and at least enough talent at one skill or more, so they can find ways to maximize a guy’s ability.

I know Kiper does a ton of homework, and regardless of how often his is wrong or right, I respect the guy (you don’t see him running around saying, “I told you I was right! The rest of you people who don’t agree with me are idiots!”

Kiper might be wrong on a lot of guys for a lot of reasons, but he works his tail off to acquire *knowledge* of the kids that are going to be drafted, and understands the pro game and how college guys will or won’t “project” from college to the pros. And you know, there’s 300 kids who are going to be drafted every spring (or close to that, considering free agents brought in after the draft). And Kiper knows every one of those kids. And to SOME degree, he knows the book on them, even if he’s not 100% accurate about a guy (and to be fair – he thought Wilson was a first round pick if not for his height; he saw all the intangibles, he just got stuck, like a lot of people, on the height factor). So… anyone who works as hard as Mel does garners my respect for doing what is basically an impossible job.

McShay, on the other hand… is just a boob job. He doesn’t understand the pro game, or how guys project, or what differentiates a pro style offense from college. His opinions are just… uninformed. I frequently find myself just outright laughing at his opinions. His knowledge seems weak.

McShay is a total moron. I actually respect Kipers evaluations, overall. And understand, that’s no the same thing as predicting where someone will get drafted. Mock drafts are absolutely a waste of time, IMO. But player evaluations are different, and overall Kiper has a fairly solid track record. Especially if you ever take the time to actually read his draft publication.

7. Here is a quck write up I did about the importance of getting Marshawn Lynch going against Arizona. Go Hawks!!

8. Thanks Todd for providing great coverage on this site! I can just use one site for my info as a Hawks fan!

9. mickeyphillips says:

It looks like Sherman is not anticipating getting a job on ESPN after he Pro career is finished.