Seahawks Insider

Evening links: Domination and a car dealership on the hook

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm with 60 Comments »
December 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Good evening. Some quick links before we shut it down and wonder about the odds of coming back to New Jersey at the end of January.

> Here’s my game story from the day’s 23-0 win.

> Doug Baldwin is still irritated with a USA Today article the questioned the Seahawks receivers.

> A Federal Way car dealership is on the hook after the Seahawks’ shut out.

> Our photo gallery from the game.

> 710 ESPN says the Seahawks’ dominant win inspires Super Bowl dreams.

> ESPN says the Seahawks’ defense could lead a return to MetLife Stadium.

> Here’s the game story from the Associated Press.

> The Giants argued postgame when Antrel Rolle called out players for not playing with heart.

> A defense of Eli Manning from The Star-Ledger.

> Seahawks.com game at a glance.

Leave a comment Comments → 60
  1. Next week’s game against the Cards is already getting interesting, they could be down a key player or possibly two.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10144248/larry-fitzgerald-arizona-cardinals-going-concussion-protocol

    If Fitz is out, I would assume it’s Michael Floyd and who knows who behind him for receivers.

  2. I’d have to agree with Rolle. Looked like a number of Giants were going through the motions in the second half.

  3. MikeFromNewJersey says:

    Let’s face it. Rolle is a big mouth Jerk. I disagree with him. Our defense was in total control and that’s what happens when you get dominated. It makes you look lifeless. A perfect analogy is when a pitcher throws a 3 hit shutout with 10 k’s. It makes the offense look like it has no heart.. Our D pitched a shutout, suck it up a Rolle. Rolle is the same guy who said the Giants would run the table after every loss earlier this year.

  4. montanamike2 says:

    MikeFromNewJersey you’re right, Rolle is just trying to make himself relevant when he’s not, they just got steamrolled. I was anxious this week but after watching the first 2, 3 and outs, i felt a lot better. About half way through the 3rd quarter they looked defeated, even their body language was saying, “let this season end!”. Victor Cruz was slammed hard! No salsa dance today.

  5. CDHawkFan says:

    4 points to discuss (sorry, all areas for improvement)

    There was a sack (replayed on TV) of RW where McQ was totally fooled. I know its one play, but not sure how anyone could stick up for him anymore.

    The Ryan punt where he was hit and they threw the flag for 5 yards, I am not sure why Pete didn’t repunt. It was a 35 yard punt (Giants started on their own 34), was the wind that bad, are they trying to protect the return yard record thing or just a bad decision?

    RW interception was the worst throw/decision I have seen him make this year.

    The NASCAR package just hasn’t been getting it done this year, at least with sacks.

  6. montanamike2 says:

    McQ has to be replaced this off season, no if and or buts.

  7. confucious says:

    We had better learn to run the ball effectively. It will be a short post season if the offense doesn’t discover a bit more balance. If the run was working yesterday the score would have been 50-0.

    This was a great defensive performance against a terrible offense. Take that for what you will.

    Still work to do but 12-2. Go Hawks!

  8. CDHawkFan says:

    Who wins/what is the final score; 2005 Seahawks vs 2013 Seahawks?

    Guessing Hawks 2013 win; 17 to 13.

  9. CDHawkFan says:

    Change that, I forgot about the Sherm pick 6 on Hasselbeck.

    Hawks 2013 24, 2005 13.

  10. GeorgiaHawk says:

    For the first time this year it was more fun watching the Seahawks defense then their offense for me.
    And what’s up with Breno and three false starts?

  11. montanamike2 says:

    Don’t forget about Maxwell’s pick too.

  12. I think the reason for the slow starts is because the Seahawks don’t open the offense up until the last half of the second quarter. At that point, they put the ball in Wilson’s hands and let him do this thing, rather than relying on the running back.

    Attempts/Rating/Seahawks Points:
    Q1: 82/89.1/98
    Q2: 113/136.0/122 —> Most Wilson attempts and most team points
    Q3: 93/96.1/87
    Q4: 64/85.5/99

    Lynch’s yards per carry by rushing attempt supports Turbin receiving more playing time to keep Lynch fresh:

    Attempts 1-Through-10 138/4.6
    Attempts 11-Through-20 107/3.7
    Attempts 21-Through-30 15/3.3

  13. Disregard my points per quarter, they were from last year.

  14. GeorgiaHawk says:

    I agree with you pabs.
    One game where they let Wilson do his thing from the start was against Arizona and looked so much better from the start in that game.

    It’s tough to be Eli these days.

    http://deadspin.com/young-child-screams-you-suck-after-eli-mannings-four-1483754630?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

  15. GeorgiaHawk says:

    “and he looked”

  16. montanamike2 says:

    I saw that article about Eli, how quickly the fans turn, even after 2 superbowls.

  17. Seahawks Team Scoring by Quarter
    Q1: 62
    Q2: 131 –> By far the highest
    Q3: 80
    Q4: 101
    OT: 6

  18. CDHawkFan says:

    There is a chance that both the NFC North and NFC East ”winner” will finish 10-6. In the past I thought a 10-6 team was good, not anymore. Both those ”winners” will lose at home to NO, Car, or SF.

  19. Macabrevity says:

    McQ is a turnstile, that’s for sure. His value is that you can put him anywhere on the line to hand out free passes to the QB.

  20. NFCN or NFCE winner will beat NO if NO is the wild card. NO is horrible on the road.

  21. banosser says:

    “RW interception was the worst throw/decision I have seen him make this year.”

    RW is used to his receiver making adjustments on his throws.. ala Tate.. Lockette didn’t adjust one iota.. While it was underthrown and inside, Lockette could have put the brakes on and cut in front and lept for the catch, just as Tate would have.. if for nothing else but to prevent the int.. which is on RW but Lockette did him zero favors… Therefore you see one reason imo why he doesn’t see much playing time..

  22. chuck_easton says:

    CFHawkFan,

    Either of those division winners will lose at home to NO, Car, SF, or Seattle. There, I fixed it for you.

    Nothing wrapped up yet. Still need one more win to clinch the division, a 1st round bye, and HFA (all at the same time now, but still have to get that win to do it).

    It can be done. It should be done. Now it’s time for the team to get er done.

    Since I’m going to be losing my voice this Sunday, this would be a good weekend to put all doubt aside. That leaves the final game of the year to just get through without injury.

    And if for some reason Arizona comes out on fire, Seattle could still do it the final game, but that’s cutting it too close.

    Arizona is already in the playoffs. They are pretty much one and done. I’d love it if Seattle ends their season, but I’m nervous.

    Glad I will be at the game so I can get that energy out without scaring the neighbors that somebody is dying in the house.

  23. chuck_easton says:

    By Arizona already being in the playoffs I mean that they are already in playoff mode. One loss and their season is over.

    They have to win out against Seattle and SF to have any chance.

    They still have something to play for this weekend.

  24. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Agree banosser.
    Lockette has very little field awareness. Best place for him is to ride the bench unless he’s doing mop up duty from a blowout.

  25. Chuck, i’m going to the game on sunday too. Chose it at the beginning of the year because i scored some really good seats for cheap from a friend. Now it turns out to be possibly the biggest of the year at home, for all the marbles. SO freakin stoked and can’t wait to lose my voice! The energy is going to be nuts inside the CLink. Boy i can’t wait for sunday!

  26. I assumed Wilson didn’t see Rolle in position to come over late. When he threw the ball there appeared to be single coverage but then Rolle jumped in front.

    That’s all on Wilson. You can’t expect a WR to battle 2 defenders on a jump ball.

  27. I gotta stop reading comments on the ninernation blog, but anyone want to tweet this to Sherman?

    “This
    Seattle is the luckiest team in the NFL this year, i.e. this Years “2012 Atlanta Falcons”….they are a 9-5 team posing as a 12-2 team

    by sanfranfanmdk on Dec 15, 2013 | 4:57 PM up reply”

  28. ChrisHolmes says:

    RW is used to his receiver making adjustments on his throws.. ala Tate.. Lockette didn’t adjust one iota.. While it was underthrown and inside, Lockette could have put the brakes on and cut in front and lept for the catch, just as Tate would have.. if for nothing else but to prevent the int.. which is on RW but Lockette did him zero favors… Therefore you see one reason imo why he doesn’t see much playing time..”

    It is true that Lockett should have adjusted and played defender, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that it was a bad decision.

    RW didn’t look off the safety on that one, and so he was able to make it halfway to that side of the field before the ball was in the air.

    RW doesn’t make many mistakes, but you have to hang that one on him. He either should have looked the safety off, or gone elsewhere with the ball.

    Anyway, I didn’t think that was RW’s worst pass of the day. I thought the miss to Tate in the right slot when he had him wide open was totally uncharacteristic of RW. And again, he was high on a lot of passes all day. He threw some darts, no doubt (and the slant TD to Baldwin was particularly nice), but those high passes have to start coming down. He’s going to get one of his guys hurt, like Eli did.

    Not complaining, BTW. I love RW. Just pointing out facts. No one is perfect.

  29. thursday says:

    Apparently the wind was pretty strong at times so maybe that was a factor in the punt decision and Wilson’s interception

  30. Dukeshire says:

    The 1st quarter points (3) do not reflect how dominant Seattle was. Seattle out gained NY 101 yards to their 40 in the first quarter. That is not a “slow start”.

  31. GeorgiaHawk says:

    How about that stiff arm Wilson put on Tuck?

  32. Dukeshire says:

    Wilson’s pick was simply an awful decision. One can try and rationalize it all they want, but none of it will mitigate what an awful decision that was.

  33. WiscCory says:

    I agree with confucious that a better run game would’ve produced a 50-0 blowout yesterday.

    Let’s face it, with the current o-line, the offense’s strength is what they accomplish off schedule. That is sound evidence that Wilson and the receivers are in tune. Screw the USA today article.

    Lastly, my request to Santa is that the 49ers come to Seattle for the NFC championship game. That’s the only way to shut-up that dilusional fan base.

  34. montanamike2 says:

    The whiners would still call it home field advantage.

  35. montanamike2 says:

    New link is up.

  36. WiscCory says:

    GA – I had friends over, and that was my comment. “Did you see the straight arm that 5′ 10″ dude just gave to a D-lineman!”

    Awesome.

  37. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Throwing it to Lockette anytime is grounds for an awful decision. Lol.

  38. Southendzone says:

    That INT to Lockette looked to be about 90% on RW and 10% on Lockette, it was so lofted up there and slow that even if there wasn’t double coverage before he let it go, there was more than enough time for the safety to get over there so that it was double covered by the time it landed.

    Sure Lockette didn’t appear to break back on the ball that hard to disrupt anything, but he had 2 guys in better position than him to make that catch, either that ball shouldn’t be thrown (probably)or it needs to be thrown another 5-10 yards deeper.

  39. GeorgiaHawk says:

    WiscCory- I’m trying to find a GIF of it.

  40. yankinta says:

    lol, the first time agreeing with Duke… “Wilson’s pick was simply an awful decision” I was smh and talking to the TV “What are you dong?! Dude!!”…

  41. rramstad says:

    I dunno, I’d put the INT at least 40% on Lockette. If it had been Tate or Baldwin out there, there’s a decent chance they come up with the ball, and an even better chance that they break up the INT. Lockette played a slightly off target ball very very poorly.

  42. GeorgiaHawk says:

    The way Maxwell and Lane have been playing the last three games I would love to see Thurmond and Browner ride the bench from here on out if/when they come back.

    Maxwell and Lane continue to prove they are not only starting material but they are top notch Corners in the NFL.
    What a good problem to have for the team.

  43. Dukeshire says:

    The way Maxwell played yesterday was solid. The way he played the week before was awful. They could certainly do without that again.

  44. GeorgiaHawk says:

    That’s not the way I saw it last week Duke, (Maxwell was solid last week and great this week, as he was against the Saints) and certainly not the way Pro Football Focus saw it either-

    “Seattle has stretched the cornerback depth chart this season. As Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond have moved out, third-year CB Byron Maxwell has stepped in with stellar play and now CB Jeremy Lane joined the mix on Sunday. Maxwell posted his fourth straight positive grade at +0.7 as he got his hands on three passes, including an interception. It was a beautifully played deep ball as he ran step-for-step with wide receiver Michael Crabtree before locating and attacking quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s underthrow at the 4:16 mark of the third quarter.”

  45. Dukeshire says:

    I encourage you to rewatch last weeks game, then. Especially the first half. He was a liability.

  46. If we win this weekend, the chances are good that we’ll face SF in the divisional round.

    Our teams virtually parallel one another at every position except for our receiving corp.

    Baldwin may have been upset with the USA today article, but I think there may have been some truth to it. If we had Rice and Harvin going in, I’d feel better, but Baldwin, Tate, Kearse and Lockette strikes fear into no one.

    Nice dominant win yesterday, but our offense is still far from what they were last December.

    Crabtree – Davis – Boldin are heads and shoulders above our guys. I hate to say it, but believe it to be true. Kaep is playing with another level of confidence. The 65yd rope he threw yesterday was impressive.

    I’m glad we’re so close to clinching HFA. Going through SF would’ve been terrible. This is why I really didn’t want to see SF in the playoffs at all.

    We were a little lucky @ Houston, St. Louis and Carolina. TB had a 3 touchdown lead in our house. I’m happy to be 12-2 but feel fortunate.

    It’s still the best I’ve seen up to this point, but in my honest opinion, I think SF is still slightly better suited for the playoffs.

    It’s just my opinion.

  47. The offensive line is terrible folks. They cannot run block vs a decent Defense. According to ProFootballFocus, vs the Giants, the offensive line managed to get Marshawn Lynch just 17 yards before contact IN THE WHOLE GAME! 30 of his 47 yards rushing came after contact!

    Now, please tell me again how 1) Lynch has slowed down and 2) Turbin sucks (even though he’s avg more ypc than Lynch lately) and 3) The line is so great at run blocking, thats why its okay they suck at pass pro…

    Its the twilight zone: the last few weeks, the line has pass protected reasonably well, but failed to run block worth a damn.

    If Seattle’s Offensive line doesnt figure it out and manage to both run block AND pass pro reasonably well, Seattle will be in danger of failing in the playoffs again despite having by far the best roster in the NFL. And that thought makes me sick to my stomach.

  48. Georgia–Youre nuts. Youre blinded by that one damned pick Maxwell had last week, and by your hatred of Browner. Yes, that was a good play by Maxwell, but it didnt make up for all the plays he didnt make that day. He flat played bad.

    While Maxwell has done well in 2 of the last three games, he was exposed as a liability last week. Who knows which Maxwell we’ll see any given week? Neither you, I, nor anyone else has a clue; he’s not proven anything yet.

    Lane the same; he played very well this week and both seem to be improving. But it will be nice to have Browner and Thurmond back as insurance at least. Not to mention neither Lane nor Maxwell can play as physical as BB.

    Im quite sure Seattle’s coaches will feel better with their starters back. Maxwell and Lane lack the skill and experience of Thurmond and BB, and that can cost you big in the playoffs. I expect teams to study those two, and a) play to their weaknesses, not their strengths (which is what the Niners did), and b) show them stuff they’ve never seen. With BB and Thurmond available, that wont be such a problem.

  49. As for RW’s hideous interception, I see it this way; First, but not foremost, it was a bad playcall. You put Lockette in the game as a SE–it seems 80% of the time we do that, we run a Fly Route. Ok, the Defense sees Lockette in the game, theyre thinking “Fly Route”. So, here comes the second thing; RW failed to look off the safety–as others have mentioned–and also held the ball WAY Too long before deciding to throw it. THird, the ball slipped from his hand as he was releasing it–which happens quite often when he tries to throw deep–and fourth, it sailed in the wind. Fifth, Lockette didnt make much of an attempt to defend the ball–but as others have said, kinda tough vs two defenders.

    So, a bad playcall, a bad decision on RW’s part, no looking safety off, a terrible throw into the wind that was doomed from the get-go, and a poor route by Lockette.

    Any way you slice it, it was mostly RW’s fault, and one of several horrible passes by him. Not one of his better games, and thats two weeks in a row by RW.

    MVP he aint. Not complaining, he’s a fine young qb and will be elite. But enough with the RW is Jesus talk…

  50. Kap’s throw was pretty bad ass, especially with the “NFL BLITZ”-style flames the ESPN guys put on it.

    The reason he puts so much on his throws is because he has to. Instead of anticipating his WR coming open on a route and putting a good amount of air under the ball, Kaep unleashes laser bolts because if he doesn’t, his WR would run out of real estate and the defender would close in on the ball. Big difference between him and RW: touch.

    He doesn’t read defenses well or anticipate WR’s coming open ahead of time, so he has to throw a frozen rope to an open guy, rather than throwing someone open. His exceptional arm strength is a blessing, but also a curse. Since he can sling it, he relies on it too much as an asset. It becomes kind of a crutch for him and I believe is a part of the reason his development and progression as a QB has slowed down this year, at least compared to RW. Kind of like a fastball pitcher that doesn’t develop other off speed pitches and relies on his 100 MPH heater too much.

  51. yankinta says:

    CCVI,, completely agree with you!! I noticed that during his first 3-4 games as a Starter…. That’s why he’s only good against Zone Defenses. Most lesses Defenses have to play Zone against him because of his running ability,, we don’t have to worry about it much cuz we have Fast line backers,, although he’s been able to run on us a little the past couple of games..

  52. RW may be a hell of a lot better at reading defenses, but his long passes dont exactly show touch, nor do they “throw a guy open”. He just sort of gets the ball in the area, and expects the WR to outjump and outmuscle the defense for the ball. And its usually underthrown. Thats one area RW needs to improve is his long passes (30+ yards in air).

    Kaep has a long way to go, but he’s already better at throwing the long ball than RW, IMO. He just cant read a defense well, and as you guys say, relies too much on his cannon arm. But what a cannon!

  53. GeorgiaHawk says:

    STTBM- I looked at Maxwell’s overall play, ( much like Pro Football Focus) instead of cherry picking a play or two to come up with an overall analysis of Maxwell’s play against the 49ers.

    Like I said he didn’t play great, (like he did against the Giants or Saints) however his overall play against the 49ers was far from awful, and certainly much closer to solid.

    Key words here, (overall play).

  54. Georgia–Well, I disagree. Im with Dukeshire, I thought Maxwells overall play was spotty at best last week. Im hoping he plays more like this week from here on out…

    Damn, wish we could trade one of our cb’s for a decent G or RT or even a big badass DT…were so stacked at DB and so crappy at G and RT…

  55. Southendzone says:

    For Maxwell, there’s more reason to expect improvement than to have to worry “Which player we’ll see week-to-week”. He’s just now getting these starting opportunities and we would expect him to start getting up on the learning curve.

    Biggest worry about Maxwell is if we get the wrong set of officials, he is going to get flagged on nearly every play. All the Hawks secondary try to play physical but when I watch him, he looks like he’s really roughing up the receivers beyond the rules.

  56. I would be happy to have BB and Thurmond back and playing well with Maxwell and Lane in a rotation. I dont care who starts, who plays, I just want the best player onfield for a given play. Bb can be a liability vs some WR’s, but he sure can take over half a field vs guys when its time to get physical. It will be an embarrassment of riches when they are all back…

  57. SandpointHawk says:

    This is a simple argument, Pete knows D-backs like no one else in the NFL. He also is not afraid to start any backup over an established starter. Follow the logic my friends. Who were our starters this season? Trust in Pete…

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0