Snap counts: Week 14 vs. San Francisco

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Dec. 10, 2013 at 12:34 am with 81 Comments »
December 24, 2013 12:43 am

Good morning.

I have a lot of personal stuff to catch up on today, so we’ll try to give you a lot to chew on here. As usual, the players are off today.

Let’s take a look at the snap counts from Sunday. We see the left guard swapping in full effect after James Carpenter started the game. Pete Carroll wasn’t doing a happy dance when talking about the effectiveness of Carpenter and Paul McQuistan.

“They both did fine, they both competed well,” Carroll said. “James did a good job. There are always a couple of plays here and there, but he did a pretty nice job. We’ll let you know what we’ll be doing this week, later.”

Rookie tight end Luke Willson was very effective. He played nine snaps, and had three catches on four targets for 70 yards and a touchdown.

Defensively, nothing surprising. The Seahawks were in nickel almost a quarter of the snaps, as evidenced by Jeremy Lane’s snaps. One thing I don’t think I have mentioned was the excellent game Lane had. Three passes defensed and two tackles in 16 snaps. Effective.

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 9.00.13 PM

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 9.00.24 PM

Links:

> For today’s paper, I wrote about Carroll’s decision at the end of the game whether to let the 49ers score after Colin Kaepernick picked up a first down on that sweep to the left side. A word about the Kaepernick sweep: Following that conversion, opponents were 16-for-80 (20 percent) on the season against the Seahawks in third-and-7 or longer, when removing any penalties during the plays. No team has converted more than three third-and-7s or longer (Surprisingly, Atlanta had three), two teams had none and seven times the opposition had one. In Week 2, San Francisco was 1-for-7 in that situation. The one conversion? A Kaepernick scramble.

> SI’s Jim Trotter, who has been around the Seahawks a lot, says losing may have been just what the Seahawks needed.

> 710 ESPN also looked at Carroll’s end-game decision.

> ESPN wonders if the Seahawks still have problems stopping the run.

> This is from Sunday night, but it’s by Dan Wetzel, one of my favorite writers, writing about the Seahawks-49ers game.

> Seahawks.com says Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane have things covered.

> There will be no tailgating allowed at the Super Bowl (or taxis).

> Greg Bedard at MMQB says all defenseless players should be protected by the rules in the wake of Rob Gronkowski’s injury after a hit right on his knee.

> A lot of funky things are going on in Washington, D.C. (insert your own joke), namely with Mike Shanahan.

1. mquinn73 says:

The first thing that Carroll has to address this week is discipline. This team simply gives up too many penalties week in, week out. It has been happening all season but because we were winning, it got brushed under the carpet. Eventually we were made to pay for it on Sunday.

If the issue is not addressed, then it will prevent this team from winning the conference – a team like New Orleans, Carolina or even the 49ers are capable of coming up to C-Link (even if they previously lost heavily here in the regular season) and winning out in a tough, close contest if the ‘hawks give them 80yds+ in penalties.

I don’t know if the coaches don’t really think it’s a problem, or if the players are incapable to playing with the level of discipline required… but there must be some reason as to why this issue has been allowed to go uncorrected through 13 games of the season.

Part of me thinks that Carroll is too laissez-faire with his players. At other times, I think alot of key players on this team (Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, previously Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, etc.) are too cocky, too arrogant, too talkative and that attitude (basically, a lack of sportsmanship) shows through in the number of penalties that we regularly concede.

Honestly, this ‘could’ be a great team – but alot of players seem to act as if they are Hall-of-Famers when in reality they have won precisely NOTHING yet….

I want to like this team – but with the exception of only a handful of guys (lead by Wilson, Miller and Chancellor) that’s getting harder and harder to do. If I wasn’t a ‘hawks fan, I’d probably hate this team. Not because we’re so good, but rather because we have such an apparent lack of class.

I hope I’m wrong, and I hope that Carroll and the leadership of this team really address this issue. Otherwise, I can see this season being one of such promise but ultimately disappointing.

2. DanielleMND says:

Penalties didn’t cost us the game. We just got outplayed with the game on the line.

3. Actually mquinn…I think you’re spot on. The talent is there, the maturity with the exception of few is not. PC likes to let his players play but at some point they do have to grow up. We’ll hear about how the Ravens led the league in penalties and still won a SuperBowl, but there is nothing that says you can’t play tough and have to play stupid. Some calls were phantom calls, no doubt, but that happens every game. I think you have a good start to this post.

4. CDHawkFan says:

I think PC might see penalties much like PED/Drugs, that they are the result of a predetermined style. Part of his excuse for PED/Drugs was because they look for talented guys and are willing to give 2nd chances.

I could see someone saying that we have more penalties because they focus on being physical vs the pass, getting to the QB, etc. If you play mostly zone then the PI/holding on Sherm and BB wouldn’t happen as much. If they we a stop the run first team, then the late hits on the QB, hits to the knees, etc wouldn’t happen much either.

I really don’t think there is a problem here, sure you can run the numbers to ‘prove it’, but its part of their game/approach. If you want it to change then you are asking them to become a team they don’t want to be (less aggresive).

5. sluggo42 says:

I think Harbarf and the chick announcer got to the refs, giving them a few more calls than normal. That’s what bothers me more than the actual game.

Sluggo – I encourage you to rematch the game and focus on how many penalties *werent* called on Seattle, that ought to have been. The refs let Seattle get away with quite a bit.

Rewatch…

8. montanamike2 says:

I’ve been AWOL for a few days, but i do remember a few phantom calls early in the game that changed momentum. We did lose at their house and not to make excuses, i’m a bit sorry we didn’t clinch the division, but 11-2 is not that bad. This game reminded me of the last Rams game of last year when we needed the wake up call. It’s time for the Malcolm Smith show.

9. montanamike2 says:

PS: lets grab another LG in the draft or FA this year.

10. I like how the 49ers received a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when their player said a few words to Lynch deep in Seahawks territory. The Seahawks got a few questionable calls in their favor as well.

We should be happy the Seahawks DBs don’t get called for holding every play. But it appears the officials will call on third down what they let go on 1st and 2nd down. The Seahawks need to recognize that and adjust.

11. sluggo42 says:

Oh I agree Duke, lots of things go uncalled both ways, yet I still feel the refs were influenced. Even if only for two calls that were made that normally might have been let go, but it creates an atmosphere of not knowing what’s going to be allowed. 10 plays go by and it’s not called, then 3rd and long and then it does get called? Usually in SF’s favor?
    I remember telling my wife that the only big plays the niners had were the penalties…

I’m not crying about it either, I’ve already moved on. Just more of an observation about how out of place the chick announcer was in saying something like that to the refs… We know crybarf will be talking, however the announcer has no business saying one word to the refs. It was like Candy Crowly butting her opinion into the presidential debate. Totally out of line, and premeditated…

I remember hearing Holmgren talking about the Seahawks about a month ago.
    He said something like as talented and good as the Seahawks are he would like to see them cut down on the penalties some because down the road in a big game you don’t want to keep the game close enough for the refs to possibly influence the outcome.

13. Any word on Winfield?

14. bird_spit says:

I hope our secondary drops the swagger, and replaces it with hunger.

15. I still think we need depth in the secondary and now @ LB. Winfield can provide great leadership along with Kam. I kind wish Earl and Sherm wouldn’t be so demonstrative and pass defenses or tackles unless it gets them off the field. More substance, less celebrations. Sherm’s crazy in the head display is annoying. Actually…IMO, Sherm hasn’t really been himself these last few games and blaming the refs in SF was a low point. I’m kind of hoping he gets his head screwed on straight this weekend and if he wants to use these kind of things as motivation, go ahead…put up or shut up. The sky isn’t falling, but we need to button a few things up for this last stretch run.

16. TallyHawk says:

The penalties have been here since Pete got here. They are not going anywhere. That’s the nature of the beast when you play as aggressively as they do. Also it’s not just the ravens winning last year, if you look back at past Super Bowl teams there are quite a few near the top in penalties. This team may have some calls go against them but as Duke has tried to remind you they get away with their fair share.

My god, anyone else read the tailgate and taxi / limo rules for the Super Bowl, this year? The NFL has done a wonderful job taking the game day experience out of the game. Very sad, indeed.

18. montanamike2 says:

The new FFL (flag football league) has quite a few new rules. I’m still in disbelief that this will be the ice bowl, not somewhere even remotely affordable or warm enough to keep the experience special.

19. SalemSeahawk says:

I am a long time reader of this blog and have never posted, but reading some of these posts finally pushed me over the edge. The Seahawks are a very good team, but like every team ever formed, it has it’s flaws. PC is doing a fabulous job coaching and is exactly what this team needs. Stop with all this PC bashing about penalties, PED’s… He isn’t encouraging these acts, nor is he turning his eye to them. Again, every team has its issues and that’s how it is.

GoHawks!!

20. montanamike2 says:

I was in NY just a few months ago, so a return there is next to impossible for me. Will there be flights if a major storm develops?

21. dirtbiker_joey says:

The penalties are a BS excuse. Yes, It would be nice to see them cut down, but I don’t buy the “this team is too cocky” line. What were some of the penalties? Holding on Okung. Holding on Sherman. Offensive PI on Tate. Hands to the face on Mike Rob. The phantom facemask call on Lane. Running into the return man. Yeah, some of these were pretty stupid, maybe can be chalked up to lack of discipline, but nothing in there says to me these guys think they are due to any kind of attitude problem.

And, despite all those penalties, they still had the lead with the Niners pinned back in their own territory with 6:20 left. A 51 yard run by Gore, followed a few plays later by a 3rd-and-7 conversion by Kaepernick lost the game, not 9 penalties for 85 yards. The Niners had 7 for 70, so it was almost a wash.

Penalties are bad, but they didn’t lost the game. The Seahawks were positioned to overcome those penalties and win in the end. Defensive breakdowns ultimately lost it.

22. The penalties are just a part of this team’s style of play. They won’t be going away.

23. SandpointHawk says:

Welcome SaleSeahawk, as a long time reader you undoubtedly know half this board goes into the “sky is falling” mode after any loss…Just ignore them they will be singing a new tune next Monday…
    Welcome to the blog and please keep posting…

24. montanamike2 says:

Agreed dirtbiker_joey, we could have won that game but didn’t. Time to refocus, at least all the RW MVP talk died down.

25. SandpointHawk says:

*SalemSeahawk

26. ChrisHolmes says:

One cannot know the impact of penalties called/not-called because one cannot see the chain of events that occurs after a given play. None of us is Third State Guild Navigator… so we can’t know.

The refs did make some mistakes, both non-calls that should have been calls, and calling penalties that were not penalties.

I’m reminded of a play from a week ago. We were closing in on the red zone, and someone got flagged for a bogus holding call or something; anyway, it backed us up quite a bit. My dad texted me and was irate. On the next play Wilson threw a TD pass. I texted back to my dad, “That’s how you do it – you take the game away from the refs. Take it out of their hands by making plays like that.”

I threw in a few expletives as well…

The bottom line here is that Seattle is a very, very good team. And really, when they are playing their best football, I don’t think anyone can beat them. The 49ers didn’t beat us Sunday so much as we beat ourselves. We didn’t play our “A” game. If we had, we’d have won.

Hopefully this is, as Trotter suggests, the wake-up bell that the Hawks need to get them right for the stretch run. Nothing would please me more than to see them storm into the playoffs with some monster wins, like we did last year. Momentum is a very real thing.

27. montanamike2 says:

I think the blocked punt return hurt us badly in that game.

28. princeaden says:

We lost to a very good team that had more to lose than we had to win. There was undoubtedly going to be a letdown for the Seahawks based on that imo. There were questionable calls both ways. But I can NEVER, in 40+ years of watching football, remember a player being allowed to slap an officials hands away from restraining the said player and no flag come out. Compare that to the Robinson facemask and that was a general theme to the game the way I saw it. It’s over. Time to pick themselves up, brush themselves off and go get HFA, win out and Hoist a Lombardi Trophy and whatever else they choose to hoist for a minute in celebration.

29. dirtbiker_joey says:

The blocked punt was bad. But, remember, we held them to a field goal, then took the ball down the field on the next drive and took the lead at 7-6. At that point, I thought the game was ours. This team is good enough to overcome mistakes. Most of their mistakes are the result of aggressive play (high risk/high reward gambles) that mostly works out in our favor – granted, the blocked punt does not fall in that category.

Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that the Niners are a very good football team. It would have been nice to win, but no shame in playing an elite team close at their house. We went in there and played them tough. They needed that game to keep place in the playoff race, and barely escaped with a win.

Let’s hope our guys learn a lot from watching this tape and come our stronger for it.

30. oldtallguy says:

What the hell does fatass Holmgren have to do with this team or who cares about his selfish opinions.

31. I can’t stand Holmgren either although his point is hard to argue. Again, I just want us to be more composed when it really counts. Losing a game on ‘stupid’ penalties is like losing players to unnecessary suspensions. Both can be managed…it’s just the desire has to be there.

Kam’s hit on Vernon last year was NOT a penalty. Good aggressive play. Sherm’s penalty on Stills last Monday Night was stupid. People said it sent a message. I saw it as another opportunity for a good team to score and they did.

Good QBs take advantage of stupid penalties. We have 3 weeks to figure this stuff out.

GO HAWKS!

32. An annoying niner fan (I know, that’s redundant) just came through the office talking smack. Reminds me we haven’t heard from golden gate nate this week. Unless I missed it. Not that I’m complaining.

33. One more thing, I’m glad nobody is complaining about not getting respect from the national media. After all, we lost but still stayed at #1 in most of the power rankings.

Hope the players keep the chip on their shoulder though.

34. Has any else noticed that Kearse hasn’t been as involved lately? He had that concussion against the Vikings when Percy came in, but hasn’t been making as many plays as he was prior to or returning any kicks. Wonder if he’s ok?

35. CDHawkFan says:

After getting blown out in the last 2 games in Seattle, then barely winning by 2 points last week, I don’t expect Golden Gate Nate to talk smack.

What is he going to say, ‘wait till we get you in Seattle in January’, or ‘Kap was better than RW’, or ‘our coach cried more than your coach’ or ‘our city is more gay than your city’.

Whatever!

36. sluggo42 says:

As the presence of Crabtree elevated the 49ers, I wonder what harvin will provide come playoff time. Nothing against out WRs, but the addition of one of the scariest players ever couldn’t have an impact, could it?

37. I don’t think defensive breakdowns lost the game…nor do I think penalties lost the game. The defense actually played very well for nearly all the game. It was the offense not being able to put the ball in the endzone when they had a first down in the redzone late in the fourth quarter that lost the game. The offense, which was moribund for much of the game, bears the major blame for the loss.

38. One rushing first down vs SF. We need a spark! Granted, there were penalties but the ‘identity’ of our team needs to do better in those games. We need a spark! C. Michael time yet? We can use that change of pace back…can we not?

39. Oh wait…he can’t block or play special teams. Never mind.

Meh…

40. bulldog80 says:

Although I like Turbin a lot as a RB, he’s a really poor choice for a kick returner in my opinion. This is one of the very few times I’ve disagreed with Pete. To put a “big guy” back there you’re basically saying we just want to securely catch the ball and then, maybe, make a couple of extra yards. If you really wanted to make big plays in the return game you really need a speed guy returning kicks. Just look around the league to confirm what I’m saying. Baldwin would kick a@@ in my opinion in this role.

In addition, while it hasn’t happened yet, I keep waiting for someone to punch the ball out on Turbin. He hangs it out there like its a loaf of bread. Way too far away from his body.

41. Seahawkfan78 says:

Bulldog80 – I would actually like to see C. Michael return kicks.

42. Defence did not lose us the game – anytime we hold our opponent to 19 points should be a Seahawk win.

43. I agree with the comments about KR – not sure Turbin or Kearse are the right guy.

I would prefer to see Harvin, Tate or Michael (in that order).

44. Seahawkfan78 says:

Blocis, the only reason I would rather have one of our RB’s take the KR is cause we are pretty thin at WR and the RB dont seem to have as many past injury’s.

45. CM as a kick returner is an interesting idea :) So who do you take off of the active roster? How about Coleman for a game – you already have MRob as a FB for the game if it doesn’t work out then do something different the next week!

just my 2 cents

46. Seahawkfan78 says:

I agree with you xcman!

47. bulldog80 says:

Michael would certainly be a better choice due to his speed but historically, it seems that smaller, faster guys have more success. Regardless, you need someone with breakaway speed if you actually care about getting return touchdowns and not just a few return yards.

48. I think TD’s in the return game are alway just Bonus – but Consistency past the 20 would be great!

49. tealskin says:

The only called penalty on Hawks that I thought was “dumb” was Schofield running into the punt returner. Otherwise just the cost of doing business “Hawk-style”. Hands to facemask (twice) were kind of phantom calls. Although I find the confidence/arrogance irritating sometimes, if that’s what it takes to play at their level, I can live with it. Football is like cage-fighting. As many have said, penalties didn’t cost us the game, defense not bad, offense mediocre. By the way, why didn’t Willson play more? Seemed to do ok when he was in.

50. MoSeahawk12 says:

I thought Mike Rob’s hand to the face call was pretty weak. He was engaged with the D and his hand slid up on the outside of the face mask for less than half a second. That stuff happens almost every play. It was nice how they called it after Marshawn had his biggest run of the game. I also found it interesting how Mike Rob was kept on the sideline for a fairly long time after that play. Odd series of events.

51. thursday says:

lol at the comment about the blog turning into the sky is falling mode after a loss. ain’t that the truth. i frankly like the quote highlighted on the Seahawks.com blog by Peter King, whom I don’t always like, but I agree with this:

“I’m not much bothered by a cliff-hanging loss to San Francisco in which the Seahawks held their archrivals to 19 points and 318 yards, on the road on a short week when the Niners had vastly more for which to play.”

mte

52. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Turbin is fine returning kicks, as long as he doesn’t take the ball out of the end zone when he’s 5 yards deep. That will be Percy’s job eventdually.

53. I think the idea of using Coleman at KR is not at all appealing. I know that the team likes his ‘better than MRob athleticism’, but I think his production has been awful. He should be on the PS, not the roster IMO.

54. I like Michael at KR better than Turbin because I believe he has better speed and wiggle and his ability to pass block is not an issue at KR.

Having said that, the team probably does not want to carry both Turbin and Michael on the game day active list. In this case Turbin gets the nod because he can replace Lynch more effectively if Lynch is injured during the game.

Again, I would rather keep Michael active as KR and make Coleman inactive.

55. With Jeron Johnson hurt, could C. Michael replace him on the active roster? How about Alvin Bailey or Kellen Davis? I can’t locate the actives/inactives for last game (if you have it, please post it), but I’m sure that I could find someone to take off for the spark I think he can provide.

56. jchawks08 says:

Careful guys.. The mention or discussion of Michael being added to the active roster to return kicks will get you a tongue lashing from a few certain ‘regulars’ around here. Happened to me yesterday.

57. NFL Network will have a 90min replay of the game on at 1230pm today.
    Looks like the only time they will air it too.

58. 2013 Draft contributions

1st round – Not much
    2nd round – less than that
    3rd round – a few snaps
    4th round – I don’t know ask Green Bay
    5th round – haven’t seen them
    6th round – Is this where Luke was taken…he actually has been a nice player.
    7th round – Alvin Bailey or Michael Bowie…definitely helped when we needed them to.

I know Pete said that it was going to be tough for anyone to contribute this year, but the guy we did draft 1st, to my knowledge, is healthy and available and is a playmaker. Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock thought he was the best pure runner in the draft. Just another case of being buried on the depth chart I suppose and that’s weak sauce.

59. Count me in as somebody who feels this loss may serve us better than a win. This gives us more to play for in the next few weeks, and helps the team keep more of an edge up to the playoffs. If we clinch the #1 seed too early, it might feel great at the time, but not much good usually happens from playing out the string in a series of meaningless games at the end of the season. We would be focused on trying to stay healthy and avoid injuries, and could lose some of our rhythm and focus. I think this team is good enough to overcome that, but all in all better to have to compete up to the end. Except in the Super Bowl, of course, a blowout would be just fine for me! Not sure I could take the tension of a down to the wire game, especially if we ended up on the losing end.

60. jawpeace says:

Xcmam, who do you take off the active roster for Christine. How about Wright, Johnson, who were part of the active roster last week.
    My guess is that one of the spots will be filled with a back up center. BTW who is the back up to Lemier(SP?)? JPL in my opinion has been the most valuable back up this season. AS he has filled in wonderfully for the injured Unger and has done it a lot.
    I too think CM would be better at returning kicks than Turbin.

61. grizindabox24 says:

I think you have to separate defensive penalties from offensive penalties. Offensive penalties are what hurt the Hawks, and they are the ones the Hawks need to minimize. The way the Hawks play defense, the penalties are going to happen, it is part of the aggressive culture the defense is working for.

62. grizindabox24 says:

I think Hauptmann is the center behind Mule

63. Southendzone says:

49er’s sign Ryan Seymour (Mullet man) from the Hawks practice squad.

Any idea why? Everything they do isn’t aimed at making their team better, but weakening the Hawks, so how does this fit in? That guy hasn’t been anywhere near the active roster this year. Is he considered a backup Center and this is reactionary to the Unger injury?

64. sluggo42 says:

I, as a “regular”, would also like to see CMicheals run the ball. I get that he needs to be able to block too, but by now he should be able to a little anyways. But jeepers, he is out #2 pick , and perhaps the best RB of this years draft? I like turbo, but sheesh, the guy is a threat to take it to the house.

Watching the replay now. Liking Jeramy lane. It was a good game. Even in losing, we didn’t look weak.

65. sluggo42 says:

Haha, the broadcast spelled Luke as “Wilson” for his first ever TD… Doh! C’mon man!

66. grizindabox24 says:

SEZ, my guess is Iupati may not be coming back as soon as the niners hoped

67. WilliamPercival says:

Lost in all the review of Sunday is the lack of talk about the D-Line. First of all, they didn’t seem to pressure Kaep much. I know there were a handful of times pressure came and Clem had a sack, but not much else. They were also gashed by run game, no explanation needed.

Where in the heck has Jordan Hill been this year?!? He’s not still having bicep issue is he? Big disappointment in my eyes.

68. WHoever made the comment earlier about the refs not calling a penalty on Vernon Davis (i think) for slapping the ref’s hand away from his is spot on. That was the most telling moment of the officiating in my opinion. Players are simply not allowed to do this. Period. That proved to me the refs were catering to Harbaugh and the home team. These are the types of things the NFL has to improve. They must be consistent with what is called and what is not. They got away with a few holds, offsides and then that idiotic move by Davis. Terribly officiated game

69. It wasn’t Vernon…it was Anquan.

70. Ya i wasn’t sure off the top…but yes. ridiculous none the less

71. EzraMelech says:

I do not post all that often, but I have to be honest. I LOVE (sarcasm intended) how all the people with ZERO coaching experience come out and start flapping their lips over crap they know nothing about monday after a tough loss. Do any of you know the environment in the locker room? Have any of you EVER been to a practice to actually SEE PC’s and the rest of the staff’s coaching style? Have you been there when he has addressed problems (of any kind)? I seriously doubt it!!!!!

As fans we can be upset over loss’s, we can judge by stuff we saw during the game on what we THINK needs improved. NOBODY though has any business Judging the Coaching staff based upon ZERO knowledge. I played football in H.S. On a very good team, coached by Coach Huard. That would be Brock’s father! He was tough coach and was very disciplined and focused on fundamentals. The few times we lost though all the crap came out about how he should do this or that and that our team was undisciplined. Which if anyone knew him or was part of the locker room scene they would know it was BS. Coaches can’t control players. Players must be responsible for themselves. More often then not players are held accountable by the rest of the team more so then the coaches…. I regress though, it just upsets me that people talk out their hat when they are clueless.

Seattle is good team, proven by their record. Can they get better? (Always!!) however to backlash like many are after a close game and against a very good team (although I hate the 49′rs) is disrespectful IMHO to our team our players and the coaches. NOBODY is perfect. And if you guys are so flipping smart, I’d like to see you pull off what Coach Carroll has done in very short time.

RANT OFF….
    My2Cents worth

Some good feedback EzraMelech. Would like to see you post more often.

73. EzraMelech says:

One last note, A coaches job is to “Teach” to coach! & to motivate. His job is to see the talent in a player and “HELP” bring out the best in that player. In the end though, it is up to the PLAYER to perform to the best of his ability. There a few calls here and there that i’ve disagree’d with, with Coach Carroll. That being said, I don’t know his players or staff nearly as well as he does. So who am I to be too critical? NOTHING I have scene over the last 2 years especially makes me have anything but appreciation for the Job Pete is doing. Again as I said above NOBODY is perfect. For us to rant about stupid crap though when we are playing and doing as well as we are, I think is a disservice to our team (especially the players) Do any of us stop to think, that (although they might not admit it or say they tune it out) players read our comments? I’m almost certain they do at least from time to time.

I’m not saying to never be critical, but lets at least be critical about things we know something about. And when we are, be respectful about it and take a good long hard look in the mirror before we do it. Kind of hard to see the speck in your brothers eye, when you have a flipping two by four in our own!

Sorry for spouting off. No disrespect meant to any particular person. Just a pet peeve when I see comments on topics the vast majority of us are clueless about. Or have ZERO experience on.

My2Cents worth.

74. EzraMelech says:

and boy i wish you could go back and edit posts. My spelling was atrocious guess thats what happens when i post upset *Grin.

You have a long ways to go EzraMelech to match my atrocious spelling. Lol.

76. Pretty much pissed off everyone on this site (no regrets). But how many of you pay to read and react? I’m betting less than 10 percent. No one posts on the articles as they come out. It’s all the “blog”. If you pick up a paper, my apologies. If you come to this site on the “free” opp to impart your great football intellect …

77. Last comment: Read Boling’s article about The Professor. Journalists do exist.

78. EzraMelech says:

dcbeeh: I subscribe to the paper and read it daily. I have a healthy respect for (some) reporters. However, some are much better then others. Some pretend to be analysts when all they are doing is spouting off what someone else has said. Others, dig, explore, research get the inside scoop etc. John Clayton is an example of a great reporter that had his roots starting here. My above comments weren’t so much directed at the reporters as “some” of the posters here. Alas, I also realize that my opinion is just that as well. MY opinion. Thats reason I don’t post all that often. I just read, sometimes my emotions get the better of me though and I must repond :) *Grin.

79. jawpeace says:

Ezram that was actually 4 cents worth by the time you were done.