Harvin doubtful for Monday

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm with 37 Comments »
November 30, 2013 1:40 pm

The Seahawks’ full injury report isn’t out yet, but wide receiver Percy Harvin will be listed as doubtful on it.

Update: the full injury report is out and is below.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said Harvin still has not shaken the soreness in his surgically repaired hip after playing for the first time this season on Nov. 17 against the Minnesota Vikings.

Carroll said there is no structural damage to Harvin’s hip.

“I thought from day-to-day we would have a chance to get him back,” Carroll said. “He’s been rehabilitating throughout the week. His hip was sore coming out of the game. We thought he would get back. He’s still … we’re going to list him as doubtful right now, he’s had a lot of stuff done to help him, we’ll go all the way to Monday with this.”

The more Carroll spoke, the more it sounded like Harvin won’t play this week.

“It’s more important for us to get him back for the longer haul,” Carroll said. “I thought with the days off, it would all work together. But it didn’t workout quite right for us. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it.”

Carroll was asked if there was any further structural damage for Harvin.

“No. It’s just responding from the load of the game,” Carroll said. “He had 19 plays and 16 active plays in there, so it wasn’t much. He’s just sore, so we don’t want to push it beyond that right now. It’s not worth it.

“We have to go day-to-day. That’s the facts. That’s the only way we can go right now. We don’t see anything big issue structurally, we’ve looked at everything, it’s just him getting back and making sure he’s balanced in that area so he can handle the workload.”

In other news, Carroll said they cut Perrish Cox to leave the roster spot open as they wait to hear what happens with Brandon Browner. Carroll said he expects to hear back by the middle of next week on Browner’s appeal of a one-year suspension.

Screen Shot 2013-11-30 at 1.36.46 PM

Screen Shot 2013-11-30 at 1.36.52 PM

1. thursday says:

Idk, I still feel at least some of this is a head game he’s playing with the Saints. Maybe I’m wrong. But maybe he magically feels great on Monday too lol.

I think that’s a valid point thursday. Keep the Saints guessing.

It will be interesting next week when we hear about Browner’s appeal.

Hopefully he won’t get that one year suspension.

3. I’m thinking Browner beats “The Man” on this one.

4. kurtisballard says:

what is the best case scenario for browner? as i understand he’s appealing the length of the suspension, not the premise of it? so…8 games rather than 16 is the hope?

I was thinking more like 4 games.

Left guard Mike Iupati suffered a sprained MCL and has been ruled out to play for two consecutive games.
    If the 9ers can’t get their run game going against the Rams Kaep could have a Long, ( Chris Long ) game.

7. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

8. bird_spit says:

I think reading between the lines, Pete is really saying, hawks have these over rated saints in the bag as long as we have marshawn with the ball in his hands.

My take, if we win the turnover battle, we win the game.

9. really disappointing news if Harvin doesn’t play. makes me wonder whether he will give us anything meaningful all year. and we could use a boost going into the home stretch.

silly to think the Saints game will be anything other than a very tough one. their offense will put points up, they do against everyone. we’ll need to get it going on offense as well to get this win.

10. chuck_easton says:

Displaced,

Harvin’s contract is guaranteed whether he plays or not.

He will get his money even if he’s in street clothes for remainder of the season.

11. MoSeahawk12 says:

These guys won a lot of games without Harvin over the past two seasons. I think they can keep it going without him. Any game he plays in is just a bonus. Pretty expensive bonus, but one none the less. I’ll take Baldwin, Tate, Miller and Kearse all the way.

12. WTH, Percy has a sore hip but there is nothing wrong with it? Every player in the locker room probably has sore this and thats. If it ain’t gonna do any damage to his hip to play Monday, just give him a shot of something and suit him up! I am sure the team doc has got some great pain drugs.

My favorite Hasselbeck and Lynch game of all time.

14. Southendzone says:

Best case scenario for Browner is no suspension at all. That’s not likely, but I think it’s possible.

A 4 game suspension is probably the most realistic best case scenario.

Sucks that the decision isn’t made yet because if it was a 4 game, we could count this week’s game.

15. WilliamPercival says:

Don’t sweat it too much. This, “We’re in it for the long haul.” mentality will bring us many future opportunities with 10+ win seasons, deep playoff runs and hopefully rings.

Patience is a virtue..

Remaining available tickets left for the Seahawks game are going for $247 dollars per ticket.

Remaining available tickets left for the Browns game are going for
    $7 dollars per ticket.

17. No chance at no suspension for Browner – he admitted to using drugs. The only question is what step of the ‘program’ he was in prior to this. I believe the suspension will be either a year or 4 months.

18. About Harvin….. Maybe the Vikings were right…… I hate having these seeds of doubt in my mind.

19. Southendzone says:

Shoot blocis, in my mind, those seeds are as big as coconuts.

20. Singularitarian says:

I get the feeling Harvin may never again be a solid contributer. What I can remember reading about the surgery was that it was a one time fix. there should be no swelling or soreness post surgery. If there is, something is wrong. I don’t think he would have been cleared to play if his hip was thought to be not all the way healed or still in the process of healing. This is a major problem if he doesn’t suit this game. MAJOR problem

21. Singularitarian says:

22. Southendzone says:

There are reports that the Hawks knew of the risks due to his hips, and even that back in the 2009 draft there were concerns about his hips as well.

Either (A) the Seahawk’s doctors gave clearance on this trade, or (B) Schneider/PC overruled their concerns.

If it’s (A), doesn’t someone have to be fired on the Hawks medical staff? and if it’s (B), you’ve goota count this as a huge black mark against all the good that PC and the Scheid have done here with personnel.

Not a lot of talk about this now cause we can fit his cap # no problem this year, but 2-3 years down the road I hope we aren’t seeing articles about the Hawks cap issues that look like a re-hash of the Cowboys & Raiders now.

If he’s not right as of early next season, Hawks have to think about eating his massive cap hit in 2014 because the year after is when they need the $ to sign players who actually matter and have contributed to the team.

23. EzraMelech says:

I love how the pessimist are all up in arms about Percy. First PC has said from the start they we’re going to take things slow with him. They would rather play it a little to conservatively, then to rush him back and have it be a problem. The Minnesota game was his first time back, and because he was excited to be back playing (which says something to me about HIS commitment) he might have over did it a little. Second, Singularitarian I had MCL surgery in High School. For you to say that soreness shouldn’t happen is just plain wrong. Rehab is intense, and soreness is all part of the rehab process (ALL THE WAY THROUGH) I don’t know how well this compares to hip surgery. But I could not move my knee for 3 weeks, for another 3 I did minimal movement stuff. I was in a brace for a full 2 months and it was 6months before I was back to 90ish percent.
    I dealt with on and off again pain during the entire rehab process, which I was told was normal. Took a year before I could say I was absolutely 100% again.

24. Singularitarian says:

you weren’t reading what I posted obviously. of course there is soreness in a knee surgery. I wasn’t saying there is no soreness in an mcl surgery. What I was saying is that you wouldn’t have been cleared to play pro football while your knee was still sore. It’s common knowledge that a knee surgery can take around a year to heal. Look at Derrick Rose. What I’m saying is when you are back to work playing professional football, Your surgery was a failure if you are still missing time because of soreness

25. Singularitarian says:

I consider “the surgery” to be the surgery, and the healing process until someone is cleared to play

26. Singularitarian says:

I feel like I have used the word surgery way too much. Now I have started saying it with a George Bush accent the way he used to say “insurgent” and I can’t get it out of my head

27. VNHLNFAN says:

Tired of the maybe or maybe not with Harvin..he is an exceptional talent for sure but I think it’s time to quit fn around..we need to stay focused with what we have and knock the crap out of Brees. 35-10 seahawks win.

28. I like your optimism but I don’t think there’s a good chance we’re going to hold the Saints offense to only 10 points.

Seahawks 31
    Saints 27

29. VNHLNFAN says:

Brees is going down count on it..

30. chuck_easton says:

This is what you get with Harvin. When he plays he’s great but don’t count on him every game.

31. All I can say is, I hope the rest of the team isn’t concerned about the Harvin hip melodrama. It seems like such a waste of everyone’s mental energy, 100% of which should go into beating the Saints.

Go Hawks!

32. rramstad says:

With Browner, if you aren’t in stage 2, the first positive test results in a fine and no suspension. That would be the scenario where he is not suspended. That’s my understanding anyway.

33. “I just hope there is a clause, or two, in Harvin’s contract that disincentives him from missing games. That is to say that I hope he loses more than just a game check for not playing and somehow that money goes back into the team’s salary cap. I mean, damn, he’s only played one game this year–his salary should reflect that.”

Does it similarly bother you that players like RW and Sherm are vastly underpaid? Should RW be getting 20 mil and Sherm 13+ mil with the salary cap reflecting that? The Hawks are benefiting much more than they are harmed by the contract situations of their players. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

“You don’t have ACL or MCL surgery and then get cleared to play, and have it be an issue. a limited number of snaps at first to build the muscles around the knee? maybe. Fatigue from not getting enough practice time? OK. A sore knee? no. Shouldn’t happen. same goes with a hip surgery.”

I have no idea where you got this, but it is absolutely asinine and ignorant. I’d bet that you have zero medical background. Even if you did, I’m sure you don’t have access to Harvin’s medical information nor have you examined him. Post surgery issues flare up all the time. And everyone heals a little differently. Sorry, but I absolutely hate it when people get on here and start yammering about players’ injuries when they clearly don’t know what they’re talking about.

We will all get a good idea of what the Hawks’ and their doctors think about how Harvin has handled the injury and his prospects moving forward when they either cut him or don’t early this off-season. They have 5 days into the next league year to cut him before his 2014 base salary becomes guaranteed. It’s just a bunch of speculation until then.

34. I don’t care what he refs call – Kam hasta hit Graham the same way he did VD all day long. If we all pitch in, SEA fans can pay the fines…

35. gosh darn “t-key” sticks – I don’t care what THE refs call…