Morning Links: Stop reading this and talk to your family

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:15 am with 42 Comments »
November 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Good morning.

Considering this is a holiday, we’ll be brief and direct.

Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone enjoys their Thanksgiving Day. We’ll be back at it full bore Friday.

> I wrote about the Seahawks handling the bye.

> Our Dave Boling writes about the comparison and relationship between Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.

> Also, this ran a couple days ago, but if you missed Boling’s excellent story on John Clayton, you can read it here.

> Clayton writes at 710 ESPN that Brandon Browner could win his appeal, though he writes at the end the chances of that are “unlikely.”

> ESPN writes about this being a rare matchup of top teams in the regular season.

> The Everett Herald says the Seahawks have plenty of confidence in their replacement cornerbacks.

> The focus at is on Doug Baldwin, who was named Seahawks Man of the Year for his community work.

> also writes about Byron Maxwell.

> Here are some Week 13 picks over at

> Jim Trotter writes the Arizona Cardinals are clicking.

> A Thanksgiving Day preview at MMQB.

1. NYHawkFan says:

LOL — “Stop reading this and talk to your family” Thanks Todd, we needed some humor after reading all the negative reports about the Seahawks. It’s been a rough week, but things are looking up come Monday.

2. chuck_easton says:

But Todd, it’s not Thanksgiving here in Canada! That was October 14th. It’s a full work day for me.

Oh, OK, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you south of the border. Have a great long weekend.

3. May we all take a day to be thankful for things in our life like health as opposed to hating on others if they may have a different opinion about something concerning the team.

4. chuck_easton says:

BobbyK, I have to hate on you for saying that. It was entirely too logical, heartfelt, and truly appropriate. How dare you try to bring civility to this space.

But seriously, well said.

Everyone enjoy you families. Give thanks for the wonderful people in your life.

We can argue if Wilson is mearly great or completely elite and to what level of greatness he has achieved tomorrow.

5. rynehawk says:

Ha! Love it. Happy Thanksgiving all.

6. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

happy Thanksgiving guys

i think hawks destroy the saints harvin will have a monster day 8 catches 140 yards and 2 tds, lynch rushes for 150 yards 2 td as well and tate returms a punt for td hawks 41 taints 26

7. Happy Thanksgiving 12’s, GO HAWKS!! Okay here is one that will tickle you!

8. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Happy Thanksgiving all. Im thankful for loved ones in my life who put up with me and my mood swings during football season… I’m spending the day with my fiance and future in-laws..

9. sluggo42 says:

I’m thankful I can spend a few minutes everydays with a bunch of raving lunatics in here spouting a bunch of personal opinion as though it were the fact of the matter, myself included…

Cheers to y’all…

10. jacobhawkr says:

Can someone do some stealth work? Someone has to get that NyQuil away from Drew Brees on Sunday night so he gets a horrible night sleep.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Nice to see Baldwin get the Seahawk man of the year award and to have many other Seahawk players deserve it too.

BTW- if anyone gets the chance to read Boling’s article on Clayton please do. It is one of the best articles I have read in awhile from anyone. Unfortunately it got lost here because two Seahawk knuckleheads stole the news early this week.

And hawkfaninoklahoma, I agree with your thoughts on the Monday night game.
    And don’t be a stranger, you bring much value to this blog.

12. In addition to all the other things that I’m thankful for, I’m very thankful that my all time favorite team is at the absolute top of the standings this late in the season!

13. Southendzone says:

If anyone’s interested I’ll be holding a Free Brandon Browner rally at the NFL headquarters Friday.

Printing the t-shirts now

14. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@sluggo.. Cheers to you too! Enjoy!

15. thursday says:

Hah, I’m the only one in the house this morning, shows how much you know!

J/k Happy THANKSGIVING fellow football fiends. :)

16. I’m thankful for many things in life that have nothing to do with the above topic(s)… but I am thankful for this blog and our dysfunctional “family” on here.

17. Happy Thanksgiving all and to you Todd for posting even on this day!

Here’s to hoping that our secondary does as well this late season as they did last season without those same players. Maxwell and Lane, go get it! Also curious to see how Shead does, love his size, speed, and athleticism, but especially after they cut Cox within 24 hours.

GO HAWKS!!!

18. Oh yeah, I too and thankful for this blog as I’m in the military and haven’t been home in years. It helps not to miss what’s going on back there. Also for DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket so I (almost) never miss a game.

19. Carlsonkid says:

Happy Thanksgiving all ! Hope you get a chance to enjoy time with your family today .

I have some nice seafood gumbo to tailgate with before the game Monday in celebration of a victory over the Saints :) Hearing it could snow ; good thing my seats are under the roof . Gear up if you’re going to the game guys – it’s gonna be cold !

Anyone heard anything new about why they circumsized Cox after one day on the roster ? Hoping there’s a Winfield siting at the VMAC soon ..

GO HAWKS !!

20. mindnbrad says:

Thanks for your service rgbuckl. We are immensely grateful for you and your boys.

I was lying in a hospital bed this time last year after surgery and a non-hodgkins lymphoma diagnosis. Could not be more grateful for what I have today.

Go Hawks!

21. Screensmoke says:

I’m thankful for all the hawk fans whose testacles have obviously never dropped – Live and let live -practice what you preach-FYI – reach up and grab a hold realize you have a pair you could see the world in a whole different light!a little to late for some of you that’s for sure-

22. RDPoulsbo says:

I am thankful this week’s game is on Monday. Headed up to Whistler on Friday and won’t miss the game. About to start my crab dip before heading off to see the family. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

23. Screensmoke says:

To you as well poulsbo-whistler will be great !

24. My actual family isn’t here yet – so I came to talk to part of my Seahawks family!!

So far today- I have not seen much to be worried about from the Pack or the Lions for whoever makes it to the play-offs. GB will get Rodgers back but they are having a heck of a time on Defense and giving up big runs.

25. raymaines says:

“How dare you try to bring civility to this space.”

That was funny.

GB is getting clobbered in the morning game. Boo Hoo. I’m thankful that I can watch these games and only really care about the outcome of the Monday night game. I’m interested, but don’t really care about Detroit, San Francisco, Arizona or anybody else. Go ‘Hawks!

chuck_easton – Don’t be such an ex-pat!

“on a more serious note, be thankful for all that you have you never know when it will be gone.”

Truer words have never been spoke. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

27. Happy Thanksgiving, and Hanukkah for those celebrating this Sunday, and hope you all arrive safely at wherever you-all celebrate! God Bless and enjoy the triptophan! Also hope that Flynn begins playing a little better…

28. bird_spit says:

Is there any one left in all of hawksland that thinks Flynn could have led our team? I think not.

29. bird_spit says:

@mindnbrad Lots to be thankful for. Life is best taken one day at a time. Best of all, hawks are providing a once in a life time season to remember.

Happy Thanksgiving All

30. Jaws might have nailed that one on Flynn.

31. Sitting here in my Seahawks – santa hat – watching football!!! WOOT!

Hopefully the Dallas game will be more entertaining than the Detroit game – doubt it. Hopefully it won’t be so bad that our old Friend Eric W will not have anything to be thankful for . . .

32. SandpointHawk says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours…

Wow! Flynn is worse then I ever could imagine. No way we get to four wins with him last year.

Thanks to Flynn though we probably don’t have to face all world Rodgers in the playoffs.

Thank you Flynn.

34. jchawks08 says:

Remember when Matt Flynn broke the Packers records with 480 yards at 6 TD’s in a game? How exactly did that happen?!?! Wow he is really bad. I tremble at the thought of Flynn leading this team and no Russell Wilson on the roster.

35. jchawks08 says:

QTip, thanks for adding some humor to my day. The QB FB convos are the best!

36. CDHawkFan says:

Georgia, I thought with the amount of times you have mentioned Flynn that you were in his corner.

37. jchawks08 says:

And yea, just an amazing article on Clayton by Boling. Well done! The Professor is absolutely a man amongst boys in the NFL media world. McGrath, Boling, and Dybas excluded, of course. :D

CDHawkFan- I was, but not no more. You can only cover for a player so long until he totally proves he is a bust!!!

From a Browns blog-

“During camp the veteran Flynn was able to beat out Undrafted rookie Tyler Wilson and overtake Matt McGloin for head clipboard holder behind Pryor. Well wouldn’t you know Pryor got a concussion and it was time for Flynn to show raider nation all of that smarts that he amassed sitting behind Rogers in GB. Well Flynn comes in and sucked. He sucked so bad that the 2nd year head coach took his clipboard duties away and gave them to the undrafted rookie McGloin and was cut from the team shortly after.”

39. Browns Blog: Why would they post anything about Flynn?

40. OK does Dallas scare anyone?

41. raymaines says:

OK, the family went home so now I can talk to my friends.

I’m really thankful both of my kids are really good citizens, good people, and both have married well. I couldn’t be happier with all four of my kids.

I’m beyond thankful for my loving and faithful wife of 40+ years. I come from a small and totally dysfunctional family and everybody is either dead or hates me. My wife comes from a large and loving family who all accept me and think I’m reasonably cool. Yes, I am thankful!

Good health? Check. Financial security? Check. Dependable cars? Check. Cheering for a successful football team? Check.

To paraphrase the douchebag: Who’s got it better than me? Nobody!

I don’t mean to be confrontational about my blessings as I’m sure lots of us are at least as well off as I am, but I’m really happy with my lot in life right now.

May God bless all of us and may those of us who are struggling find a clear path to better times.

42. Ian Swenson says:

This is a test comment to help diagnose comment throttling issue.