News, notes and quotes: Cox is out, Shead up

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Nov. 27, 2013 at 3:03 pm with 29 Comments »
November 27, 2013 3:09 pm

First, a transaction. Perrish Cox was cut and DeShawn Shead was moved to the 53-man roster. Cox lasted about a day.

Cox tweeted this, adding to the mystery:

Quick hits:

> Percy Harvin will again have a light practice Wednesday. Pete Carroll said this will be the way they likely manage Harvin for the rest of the season. Start him with light work during the week and increase his work as the week moves forward.

> Carroll called the Saints a “really well-balanced football team.”

> The excitement of having the full offensive line back together still exists. “There’s a real spirit about those guys coming back,” Carroll said.

> Carroll joked that they went all the way back to George Mira, who is 6-feet tall and played in the late 1960s, when trying to compare shorter quarterbacks prior to selecting Russell Wilson. But, Carroll said he had thorough discussions with Bud Grant, who coaches Fran Tarkenton during Tarkenton’s second stint with the Vikings.

> Carroll said during the bye week they do a lot of self-scouting to have a better understanding of what’s working and, in some cases, what needs to be thrown out.

> Carroll said Wilson will continue to improve and in a few years, “then he’ll pretty much be on it. He’s grown so much from Year 1 to Year 2, just in his own confidence and command of what’s going on. I think he’s been able to help everybody play better.”

> Gregg Scruggs and Tharold Simon will practice, but are still a ways away.

1. mindnbrad says:

Off topic…forgive me..but I am attending my first game at C-Link on Monday with my 16 and 17-year-old boys. COULD NOT be more excited. I understand we CAN bring in outside food, just has to be in one of those nifty clear bags (anyone know where I can buy one of those bags in Spokane – Dicks and Champs say no). Thanks! Anything else I need to know about going to the C-Link? I plan on having ringing ears and no voice on Tuesday morning!!

2. JazBadAzz says:

Maybe a Winfield signing is in the works. Besides I don’t know any player that will say, “I wasn’t good enough”. Oh well let’s move on and get ready for #mnf #GoHawks!

3. NFL needs to apologize to Browner and let him play, once healthy. I said it first, Browner will play for the Seahawks when healthy.

4. bird_spit says:

Cox was a great distraction to the Saints and 49ers coaching staff…hahaha

And this hawks fan says there will be a mini blow out next monday. I think there will be a 14-17 pt difference in scoring. But I think it is possible that it will be very close at half-time. The 4th Q will be huge as it has been all season. Go Hawks!

5. Also, the reporters who work for the NFL who reported the Browner situation should be fined.

I hope a Winfield signing is in the works.

7. RDPoulsbo says:

Nice mindbrad. I was looking into tickets for Monday until I caught a cold and now my throat is sore and it’s not clearing up anytime soon. Better to stay on the DL and let the next man up go. It really is a great time. There’s no such thing as a bad seat at C-Link.

Yes, you can bring food, but I’ve found it to be more trouble than it’s worth. It’ll be easier to eat before and after the game.

8. mindnbrad – My advise to you – under no circumstance buy the nachos with that fake cheese sauce in the CLink. It is disgusting beyond words. Of course probably not to a couple of bottomless pit teenage boys. Have fun!

9. MadSweeney42 says:

Apologize for what? Browner knew his status with the league, knew the consequences and knew he was getting tested often and he STILL got high. It’s 100% on Browner and the league doesn’t owe him anything. He’s getting he’s the deserves. It’s a crappy situation but the NFLPA agreed to it, therefore he agreed to it, and HE STILL GOT HIGH!!!

As for the original news report that was quickly corrected, you’re as high as browner. It wasn’t exactly a huge leap to think that him getting a year was due to PEDs, especially considering he “skipped” the 4 game suspension. There was nothing malicious about the report, the report didn’t get Browner into any more trouble, it didn’t ruin his rep because he already is a PED user and already is a substance abuser. Browner knew what he had to lose, knew he was under scrutiny and he chose getting high over his team, his future and his fans. Those of you defending or enabling him are almost as sad. The only person who had any wrongdoing whatsoever in the entire affair is Brandon Browner. Period.

10. doubledink says:

mindnbrad, one order of garlic fries has been known to fumigate the entire 300 level. Don’t overlook some of the outside vendors.

11. chuck_easton says:

Ok, I’m with Georgia on this. Time to move on. I think there is a game or something Monday night that is kind of important.

Browner tested positive. It’s on him. He was in Stage 3 and might or might not be there legitimately. That on the league. They will argue about the length of the suspension but rest assured a suspension is coming.

Too many people in the know have said the team has moved on from Browner. He’s done here. Either by way of suspension or IR, but he won’t play for Seattle again.

Let’s talk about the guys that are here and are working towards a potential long play off run.

As was my problem with Harvin before the last game. He wasn’t here he wasn’t contributing so he wasn’t worth my time. Now he’s here and he looks like he will play a large role in how the team moves forward. Now he’s one of my 53 favourite players and he’s pretty high on the list.

When Thurmond comes back in a few weeks he will be worth my time talking about. But for the next four games he is zero.

12. doubledink says:
  13. Ewalters7354 says:

So did Browner get high too?I thought Thurmond was the one with the from all reports.

14. tealskin says:

Until the NFL makes an official announcement all we have are leaks and speculations. It is beyond weird to me that players risk everything when they know they are open to tests at any time. Hard to just move on when you see people you root for self-destruct.

15. thursday says:

@mindnbrad I’ve seen the clear totes at Fred Meyers. I assume you have those over there. Otherwise I would guess that the team paraphernalia stores outside the stadium have them, but Idk that for sure.

Unless you’re sure you’re sitting under the roof, have plenty of weather gear, but I’m sure you already know that lol.

Otherwise, just be LOUD!!

16. edstang45 says:

Georgia your right on again, you always are reading my mind. Lets move on as BB who was one of my favs has took himself off the Team. There still is a legion of boom just one of them decided not toe the line for the team. We will be fine. When our receiver group lost Rice, Kearse got a chance to step up. We were paying him big money and he made a few big plays. but a lot of times he was invisible, just as with BB he made some big plays but he also got us in trouble with PI’s and bad plays. Its the scheme and the Team that is the reason for being 10-1, woulda loved BB to be here being “All In” but he had pressing issues he put first. The Team goes on heading to SB, The right guys will step up, the wrong guys will come look and see and head on down the road. Brees is gonna get his butt kicked…..Go Hawks

17. raymaines says:

mindnbrad: Arrive early and take in all the fun stuff happening on the streets around the stadium. There will be lots of good things to see and do in the CenturyLink Field Event Center before the game.

Traffic is just weird and parking is expensive anywhere near the CLink, try to take public transportation to within walking distance. Lots of street food available before the game. It looked to me like clear plastic backpacks of any size were A-OK. Be sure to bring ear plugs and go to the bathroom before you go into the stadium.

The stadium atmosphere is PG rated but overall friendly enough. Your kids could wear Saints gear and live through it if they choose.

All 70,000 people leave the stadium at once, so have an exit strategy. Make sure your kids know how to get back to the hotel if you get separated.

Enjoy!!

18. raymaines says:

and another thing…..

I think most athletes should just drop their Twitter account. Almost everything that gets posted is stupid and would have been better not said.

19. Cox sucked anyway. Not to mention he’s a total scumbag asshat. Good riddance. Dont let the door hit ya on the ass on your way out!

And dont ever come back!

20. sluggo42 says:

Cox lol,
    It wasn’t my play! I’m a starter on any NFL team! Yaaa….. Riiiight!

Mad max, step it up young man!

mindnbrad – I hit you up on email. Have an awesome time! Your kids will never forget this incredible experience. Lifetime memory…

22. thursday says:

I would say ditto on public transportation, but as far as the trains go, the Sounder won’t be providing service and the Link in Tukwila will be mad packed on a commuter night. So Idk, if you’re not staying in Seattle, take these at your own risk, you might be better off parking, in spite of the price.

As for the PG rating…uh that depends on where you sit tbqh.

23. rramstad says:

We typically find something super tasty in the International District before games. Much better and cheaper than anything you’ll find inside. If you want fast, reliable, and reasonable quality, the Uwajimaya food court is a great spot, many options, inexpensive.

24. jamielarrydon says:

Some of you guys are way too judgmental. How do you say like you know that BB will never play for Seattle again, because the reporters that screwed up the information to begin with said so? Gimme a break. You guys act like your opinion has some sort of sway here. Mike Rob on NFL network today said.. I am glad Pete is going to keep those guys around.. so lets just see what happens. And remember Jesus says in Luke 6:37 “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:”

25. The_12TH_Hawk says:

Wasn’t sure what to think of Cox to begin with, he didn’t seem like the style of CB PC & JS preferred. I hope to see some good things from Maxwell and Lane, who knows !maybe Ahead gets a few plays as well.

The Professor has a really interesting perspective on BB and the NFL’s debacle they may lead to a successful appeal.

26. jawpeace says:

What??? Cox already cut! LOL I would rather the Hawks sign and cut Trufaunt. That way he could have gotten a Super Bowl ring. As my understanding is that NFL rules are anyone on the active roster during the year is eligible and therefore Cox will get one; if the Hawks win the SB.

27. chuck_easton says:

jawpeace,

The player has to be on the roster for at least one game. Cox doesn’t qualify for a ring.

28. supersuckysonics says:

With the quick signing and release of Cox, looks likes the hawks are confident with maxwell and lane for four games. Hope Shead gets an opportunity on special teams to gain some experience.

29. jamielarrydon…unless you have evidence that what you claim here “Jesus says in Luke 6:37 “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven”

Please don’t post your religious crap on this blog. I think I speak for most members here. It’s NOT FACT, so keep that crap to yourself.

Thanks. GO HAWKS!!