Morning links: Where’s the Beast?

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:15 am with 127 Comments »
October 30, 2013 9:59 am

Good morning.

We’ll start with yesterday’s news about wide receiver Sidney Rice tearing his ACL and being out for the season. You can read more about that here, but, I suspect most are caught up on the situation.

Rice’s injury leaves the Seahawks quite thin at outside wide receiver. They have a plethora of slot guys, but few vertical route runners. We’ll address that topic today with Pete Carroll.

Let’s talk about Marshawn Lynch for a second.

The E:60 episode with Lynch as part of the coverage aired Tuesday night. I don’t see a link to the full episode living on the Internet yet. If someone comes across it, let’s hook it up in the comments. Thanks to South for the link, the full clip is above.

I thought the piece was solid. Not much new in there. Some interesting comments from Lynch, which isn’t surprising because he’s an interesting guy when he talks.

He’s also an interesting guy when he runs, something he hasn’t been doing much of lately. He had just eight carries last week. Eight. That was two more than Aaron Rodgers. Fewer than guys like Jets back Bilal Powell, Giants back Michael Cox (a third-stringer) and New England’s Branden Bolden (second-stringer). I haven’t seen the Week 8 carry totals for Larry, Moe and Curly yet.

The Seahawks ran jut 40 plays, 33 if you take away the seven sacks, against the Rams on Monday night. Of those 40, 15 were rushes (37.5 percent). They gained two first downs by penalty. They had one rushing first down.

Coming into the game, the Seahawks had ran it 238 times and passed 213.

Which leaves our John McGrath wondering, where’s The Beast? From McGrath:

He wants the ball, he needs the ball, and he dumbs things down to offensive football at its basic, crash-and-conrtol roots when he gets the ball. There should be nothing complicated about this.

Tend to agree with that.

A regular Wednesday today with Carroll at the podium and open lockerroom afterward. Plus, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

So, come on back for updates throughout the day.

Links:

> Danny O’Neill with three things we learned from the Seahawks’ win.

> Robert Klemko of MMQB says the Seahawks look very flawed for a Super Bowl contender.

> Some stats and info from the Seahawks win over the Rams.

> ESPN.com says Percy Harvin’s return is imperative with Rice out.

> Seahawks.com focuses on the midseason honor roll.

> Seahawks.com also says safety Earl Thomas has been the best player during the best start in franchise history.

> The Seahawks will honor the 1983 playoff team at Sunday’s game.

1. NYHawkFan says:

One possibility, the coaches know more about his physical condition than us. Lynch, for instance, had a hip issue that was bothering him recently. Thus, the coaches may be trying to reduce his touches so as to help him fully heal, and/or so that he will hold up for the rest of the season. Yes, he’s a tough dude, and he’s a vital part of our offense, but he takes a lot of punishment and we need to keep him healthy for an end of the season run.

Second possiblity; Bevell may have been sending Lynch a message, essentially saying, ‘I’m running the offense, so don’t question my play calling. And certainly don’t (allegedly) give me the finger publicly when you don’t agree with me. If you give me a hard time, you won’t get as many touches.’ Message received?

2. yankinta says:

I think that Rice will come back next year by taking Vet Minimum or something close to that,,, I don’t really see anyone offering him any decent size contract.

I’m not sure what McGrath means to say by “dumb things down” regarding Lynch’s contributions, I’m not sure simplicity is what’s necessary to help correct this offense. But, rather getting the offense’s most productive player the ball (excluding Wilson), in scoring situations at the very least, is.

As for Bowie, if he felt his “performance was alright” on Monday, Seattle’s line is in worse shape than I thought. His play, as was play across the line, was unacceptable and Cable, Carroll, or whomever, need to find someone who doesn’t think being a human turnstile is “alright”.

4. I agree – just give the ball to Marshawn. On Monday night we were in a close game and ahead almost the entire night, so I’m not sure how / why we ever got away from running the ball with Marshawn. I’m not one to blame coaches, but it seems that the play calling was off in this case.

5. sluggo42 says:

Nobody can run behind a horridly coached line that gets abused by everyone. I’m almost thinking the players are doing it on purpose to get rid of Cable. I don’t think Bevell is highly thought of either.

Pete and John got them the players, offensive coaching sucks.
    Look how the defense improved with a new coach…

6. sluggo42 says:

Remember, the NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG

7. I agree the o-line has been awful. The team has not done a good job of securing good o-line depth. Hopefully o-line will be a draft day priority this year – and I don’t mean 7th round or draft FA.

NYHawkFan – They are definitely cutting his carries. Carroll noted to start the season that they would “manage his workload”. Essentially meaning he wouldn’t be getting 300+ carries in a season again. But that’s not what happened Monday night.

As for Bevell sending Lynch a “message”, I respectfully disagree with you here. Mostly because Carroll seemed to call the playcalling into question, specifically at the goal line. Moreover, Bevell is in no position to be sending any messages. That’s Carroll’s responsibility and I can’t see him doing that are the expense of success.

Pete and John apparently got them players that suck then because I’ve seen no evidence that Cable’s coaching is the issue. His talent evaluation should certainly come under question. But I’ve yet to see where his coaching is an issue.

9. I also think that when the Seahawks face a team with a strong front 4 and good man CBs, they need to tell Wilson to take off if the initial read doesn’t get open after a short amount of time. He just seemed unwilling to run in those situations Monday unlike at Houston and at Indy. And once the pocket collapses with 2 good rush ends, it will be very hard for him to escape.

It’s better he gets hit by smaller players after a positive gain then by larger players after a negative gain.

It will also force the teams to back off the man coverage or at the very least commit a spy on the QB.

10. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

You of all people should have gotten what was meant by ‘dumb things down on offence’ when talking about Lynch.

McGrath was referring to good old fashioned four yards and a cloud of dust smash mouth football. Forget all this mis direction. Forget spread offence. Forget read option. Give lynch the ball and get out of his way. Old school all the way.

11. sluggo42 says:

Duke,
    They are the worst unit in the league, you’re going to dump that all on the players? With no responsibility tot heir coach? They weren’t really very good last year either, in fact they haven’t really ever been any good since cable arrived have they?
    I think they are trying to run a h hybrid of zone and cut blocking schemes that’s failing miserably…
    Every other team in the league does better, and you place zero responsibility on their coach?

Seems none of them can recognize a stunt or a blitz, isn’t that something a coach should be able to teach them?
    I’m a results guy, and Cable isn’t producing any

12. banosser says:

Lynch didn’t get many carries cuz the Rams were completely selling out against the run… stuffing the box with 8 and 9 players… it was the play calling in my opinion that didn’t adjust to the D scheme they faced… that and obviously the oline and dline didn’t show up to play… I expect a very decisive victory against TB, with 175 yds rushing and less than 100 yds given up… the lines got embarrassed and had better come out much more focused

13. What does everyone expect with 3 backup players on the line? The team can’t have starter level depth at every position.

14. ChrisHolmes says:

A guy like Cable doesn’t suddenly forget how to coach. Go back and look at his line work in Oakland. They mauled people. They ran effectively. They were good at it.

I’m with Duke: I think Cable, if he has had input in selecting OL players, has very questionable talent evaluation skills. And that’s what has got them into trouble. They just don’t have the players. This is a very, very poor group of offensive linemen.

You can coach until you’re blue in the face, but if the players on the field don’t do it, or have the skills and/or talent to do it, then it won’t get done.

You could change line coaches, but this unit wouldn’t improve.

We simply have to weather the storm and wait for Okung and Breno to get back. In the meantime, Bevell is going to have to dial up some play calls that help these guys out. We’re going to have to hit more screens and quick passes so Wilson isn’t expected to hold the ball.

15. NYHawkFan says:

Dukeshire — Point well taken regarding Bevell not running the show. It was only mentioned as a “possiblity,” because we don’t have enough insight to know the real reason. With that said, with Bevell calling most of the plays, I certainly think he could make a point by reducing touches. That could be dangerous, though, in fact it could well be a pyrrhic victory if we lost a game at the expense of sending a “message,” as you noted.

16. djbargelt says:

The only O-line guys worth a tinkers damn are Okung and Unger. Bowie might become a decent player down the road, but he ain’t there yet. Agree with Dukeshire that Tom Cable is a great teacher and coach, but talent evaluation would be best left to John and Pete. Hopefully John Schneider puts cotton in his ears next year during the draft when Tom makes recommendations for O-line picks!

17. I think Duke is making some great points. I’d also offer that the WR’s, TE’s and RB’s were running their routes too far before getting their heads turned around. More shallow passes, slants, screens, heaven forbid shovel passes would be ok imo. It seemed to me that Russell would’ve got rid of the ball sooner often had the receivers been looking for the ball earlier. None of which has anything to do with Cable. Cable can coach, but let’s not wait so long next year to address OL and WR positions.

18. in the draft and in free agency and no more projects of converting DL to OL.

19. HawkfaninMT says:

Could not disagree more that the OL problems all fall at the feet of Cable’s coaching. Maybe he does have “Holmgren-Syndrome” in that he should just stick to coaching and let the the GM get him players. But he has put together an amazing starting 5 when they are in there. Most teams would love to have the consistency this OL has when all 5 starters are playing. Depth has proven to be the issue here, and it is a problem. But I do not see how the lack of depth on the OL falls on Cable’s neck.

I would go one step further and get an extension in place for Cable. If people around the league think as low of Cable as some here do, this is a perfect time to lock him up for a very long time.

There seems to be a contradiction here.

I’m not saying that he is a good coach or not because I just don’t know for sure.

21. Southendzone says:

Heres a link to a kjr950 page that has the full Marshawn E:60 clip

22. That’s a good point about receivers either running longer routes or not recognizing pressure and turning their heads fast enough. I noticed that with Miller on the final Seahawks offensive play. I think that could have gone for a First Down.

chuck_easton – I don’t know that is what McGrath meant. Simply put, Seattle runs tons of Power-O with Lynch in the backfield, and they do it out of multiple formations: I, single set, pistol, etc… Now, I don’t have any doubt McGrath has no clue what any of that is let alone be able to recognize it. But I stand my belief that simplifying won’t fix Seattle’s offense. But that’s just my opinion.

I agree with ChrisHolmes that we just need to weather the storm until our tackles come back.

25. ChrisHolmes says:

“If Tom Cable is such a good coach then why do so many here complain about his project Sweezy?
    There seems to be a contradiction here.”

No contradiction at all. There’s a clear distinction between talent evaluation and teaching.

Cable missed in Sweezy. He thought he would be a good guard. No amount of teaching is going to fix a guy who just doesn’t have the ability/talent to do the job.

Could you coach Tim Tebow into a top-flight NFL QB? Could anyone?

Nope. Because the raw material ain’t there.

26. djbargelt says:

Consider Mike Holmgren as a case in point. Great coach, spotty at best in talent evaluation. Spotting future solid players is part genius and a huge part gut feel with some luck mixed in. John Schneider seems to have those intangibles. And perhaps Sweezy will “get it” with another year or two, but we don”t have enough surrounding talent to allow him that luxury, IMHO !

27. TallyHawk says:

How different would things have been had Tate and kearse not dropped passes that hit them in the hands? That’s 2 first downs right there. I’m not saying they score on those drives but at worst they give themselves another set of downs and keep the D in the field.

Another question I have is about the last drive. Did they go prevent/zone coverage or were they just gassed? The ease with which the rams moved down the field was troubling.

sluggo42 – Fair points. But remember, Seattle’s line played really, really well the second half last season. Pabuwal is correct too that one can’t have starting depth at every position, and that’s (IMO) primarily what’s at issue here: lack of talent starting up front right now. Not coaching. Of course Cable has to take some here, it’s his responsibility to get them ready to play. But Bowie and Sweezy may very well be the worst starting combination in the league. Only so much coaching up you can do.

29. NYHawkFan says:

pabuwal — Agree with you that it would be better for Wilson to scramble, make a few yards, and run out of bounds rather than let a 250-300 pound linebacker or lineman drill him running full speed.

Being embarrassed on national TV can be a great motivator. Therefore, I expect to see a much improved OL play this Sunday. Dare I mention the words “San Francisco” on our beloved Hawks blog? I would be happy if we had an OL just half as good as the 49ers.

30. TallyHawk says:

I would argue that holmgren was a poor talent evaluator. Maybe not great but better than most give him credit for. He put together the team that went to the Super Bowl not ruskell who was terrible.

31. HawkfaninMT says:

How about Da’Rick Rogers as a WR pick up? He is a headcase, but had 1st round WR potential coming into the draft. Great size, and speed to get deep. He is currently on the Colts practice squad (I think) so he would need to be added to the active roster. Seems like someone worth a look anyways.

32. chuck_easton says:

pabuwal,

You keep saying that Seattle has three backups on the o-line. Right now they really only have two backups.

Unger, Sweezy, and Carp/McQuistain were all starters this year. Only backups right now are at the two tackle spots. All three interior linemen were penciled in as starters. Carp was rotating in with McQ at LG but it was always expected he’d be the starter there eventually.

Not sure if that makes your statement better or worse, but it does reflect the reality of this line.

34. I think, with (optimistically) 2nd tier guys starting at both tackles, the Rams, with their premier ends, were just a horrible matchup. And they had a great game plan…. crowd the box, take away the run, crash the ends and collapse the (non existent) pocket, make Russell beat them in the first 1 or 2 seconds from the snap. This happened to coincide with a week where Russell had been coached up to take extra care with the ball and ‘get down and surrender’ instead of trying to force something. On top of that, the Hawks just looked listless both in the play on the field and the coaching adjustments made… like a Holmgren team coming off a buy. It happens…

I don’t expect the Oline to play this poorly again, and I fully expect the coaching staff to provide more help if it does (the lack of help from RBs and TEs is a mystery to me… maybe I just didn’t see it). I speculate that getting even one starting tackle back will make a big difference in shoring things up.

But there’s no doubt O Line is this teams weakest group. I will be very disappointed if there isn’t significant investment in that group next year. And no, Cable should not have sole discretion on where those investments are made.

35. The Seahawks have 3 players starting at positions they would not be playing at if other players were healthy.

I am under the belief that McQuistan would replace Sweezy if Okung was healthy.

For the record I wouldn’t take Sweezy out. I just don’t think they have anyone better to replace him with and I think he will get more consistent when Breno comes back. It seems like Breno is kind of a mentor to him.
    I think we will see a better line, (much like at the end of last year) when we get everyone back healthy and in synch with one another.

37. abqhwkfn says:

Injuries to the Oline combined wih mediocre WRs leads a team to where we are now. Unable to run due to a stacked box. WRs unable to create any seperation and an Oline giving up seven sacks. With the return of the 2 tackles and McQ back to his guard spot hopefully the oline can be effective. With PH coming in hopefully that will boost the WR position. I am worries about the run defense. Zac Stacey gets 100yds. Who is Zac Stacey? lol

38. trout_hound says:

I think some of the bloggers on here last year pissed off Earl. That’s the only place I heard anyone complain about him missing open field tackles:

Richard Sherman, per the http://www.seahawks.com article on Earl:

“Earl is playing outstanding. He’s playing his best ball that I’ve seen him play since I’ve been here,” said Sherman, who arrived in 2011 as a fifth-round draft choice and stepped into the starting lineup midway through his rookie season. “He’s playing disciplined. He’s playing sound. He’s playing aggressive. He’s making every play that’s there. He’s not missing any open-field tackles. I think a lot of people pissed him off last year, said he missed some open-field tackles.

“The last thing you want to do is tell Earl something that he didn’t do, or say something that he couldn’t do. Now, they’ve got him going. Now he’s frickin’ making every tackle, he’s aggressively punching the ball out, he’s making every play that’s out there.”

39. chuck_easton says:

pabuwal,

I believe that as well. But we can’t call Sweezy a backup as he has been the only guy on the o-line to start and finish every game this season. We can agree he isn’t starter talent, but he is a starter by definition.

At this time Carp isn’t what I had hoped, but he is servicable for the year. I think he will play better once Okung is on his left. The two of them talked about how great it was to play beside each other prior to Carps most recent injury that put him out for most of the pre-season and early season games. I also think the plan was for Carp to be the starting LG all along but his injury in camp delayed that.

40. chuck_easton says:

trout_hound,

It isn’t just the bloggers on here. Somehow Earl got the rep that he isn’t a great tackler.

In the Thursday night game Mayock said on at least two occasions that Thomas was one of the better safeties in the league and if he could improve his wrapping up and tackling skills he’d be the best.

So that idea that Earl isn’t a great tackler appears to be league wide.

41. edstang45 says:

If ya didn’t know better and was 1st time reader here you would think Hawks are 1-7 not 7-1

42. This may be a stupid question from someone unqualified to discuss the X’s and O’s of football – but if Cable is so poor a coach how did the Hawks do so well rushing the football last year? Weren’t they 2nd in the NFL?

43. trout_hound says:

Earl whiffed on a few last year, for sure. But I only remember one real miss so far this year. Whatever his motivation, I’m glad its working. The dude was an absolute stud on Monday, in on almost every play.

The other guy that stood out Monday was Bruce Irvin. That was an impressive performance. The anti-Aaron Curry in every way when you really think about it. Low expectations of being anything but a one-trick sack pony, he is becoming an every down player that they can’t keep off the field.

44. I dont get people saying Cable’s coaching is not good. The personnel is the issue, plain and simple. I agree that his talent evaluations are not very good, but he can coach. But if you dont have the talent, coaching wont do spit.

trout_hound- Agree about Irvin. I never thought he would have so many tackles in one game.

46. trout_hound says:

Damn it, why didn’t we beat the Rams to the punch last off season and sign Jake Long?

47. trout_hound says:

And then there’s this:

The latest single from Eminem, “The Monster” featuring Rihanna, gives our boy some props:

I ain’t here to save the (freaking) children
    But if one kid out of 100 million
    Who are going through a struggle feels and then relates, that’s great
    It’s payback, Russell Wilson falling way back
    In the draft, turn nothing into something,
    Still can make that star into gold chump,
    I will spin Rupelstiltskin in a haystack ….

48. yankinta says:

lol,,@ edstang45,, yeah it’s been pretty boring to read the comments/complaints here….today and yesterday…. many people jumping off the ledge….smh

I’m not worried, Unless we have to play the RAMs on the road in the playoff…. I like where we are and we should see improvements. As for the rest of the nation/media saying we’re not a true contenders,, I’d tell them to keep thinking that way and you’re in for a Rude Awakening soon. :)

49. The only missed tackle by Earl Thomas from last season that really stands out to me is the one on Adrian Peterson when he went to the house. Like he is the only one to ever do that. But it did make the high light reels so maybe that is what effected the national opinion of him. He was great on Monday night though, that is the kind of stuff that can change the national perspective. I loved the play when he went from the center of the field to nail that receiver in the sidelines like he had been shot out of cannon. What a great play that was.

50. sluggo42 says:

Points taken from all on Cable, but boy do I have my eyes on him…
    As far as being the 2 rated rushing team last year, a lot of that’s because of RW, and fear of the option. It’s not quite so successful this year now that it’s been figured out…

Point is, they play 8, because they know the line is clueless and somebody will have a shot at RW within 2 seconds.

Bevell needs to come up with a plan to exploit that, and so far, he is stumped. Counter screens, quick hitters, delayed draws, and stuff I don’t even know should be able to take advantage of that. Feed the beast, and do so with an ounce of creativity. Do some deception etc…

C’mon man!

51. doubledink says:

On one sack Bowie double-teamed Sweezy’s guy and let the DE come off the edge untouched. There wasn’t even a RB on that side to pick him up. That was pretty pathetic. It doesn’t get more basic than making sure you put a hat on a hat. I can’t believe that was his assignment.

52. sluggo42 says:

Ya, earl is phenomenal, his speed seems faster, he seems also to have put on a bit more bulk. I wonder if he weighs more this year? But when he hits people at full speed, like the shot he put on Clemons, made Clemons do an instant 360* spin. I’m surprised he held onto the ball on that hit actually

53. AKhawkFan says:

I have a friend in Seattle that works at the Pink Door. Okung is a regular there, and told my buddy that BG started running yesturday. Cross ya fingahs!

54. ChrisHolmes says:

“ChrisHolmes- Then why doesn’t Cable take Sweezy out and replace him? He has the power to do that doesn’t he? What good of a coach is he if he doesn’t?”

Simple. Lack of depth. Who do you put in to replace him? JP?

I’m not sure that’s an upgrade.

We’re thin right now. Really thin. We’re playing guys at spots they aren’t used to, we’re playing a rookie and leaving him on an island against some good pass rushers… Our best guys are injured. It’s a mess, for sure.

Just weather the storm.

Lets see what happens against the Bucs. With any luck we can right the ship a bit at home and clean up some execution.

55. doubledink says:

rlc,
    Earl’s closing speed on that play was freakish.

Sluggo,
    I saw a couple of screen passes. The one I remember most was to Balwin and it produced decently. I was hoping to see some of those to Lynch to punish them for loading the box, but to no avail. There are plenty of ways to make a team pay for that crap especially when you are leading the game by 8 points. I considered that game as a total fail by the offensive coaching staff. Yes we won, thank you defense – and Greg Zuerlein for missing that 50 yarder.

56. ChrisHolmes says:

“Cross ya fingahs!”

I was just watching a Crossfit Fail compilation on YouTube and read that sentence to fast.. I thought someone was talking about Crossfit on a Seahawks blog.

57. HawkFromDay1 says:

I was also a bit stunned by the lack of a screen game to Marshawn.

A little success there and they might have backed off the 8/9 man fronts.

58. doubledink says:

Even some quick slants behind the line can help, but he needs a couple of steps back for those. Shotgun can provide that. At least they didn’t try to run a draw play into a maximum blitz.

59. NYHawkFan says:

The only problem with screen passes is that they take time to develop, which Wilson didn’t have. Against the Rams, I remember seeing Wilson get sacked before the tight end even turned around. The Rams were literally charging into our backfield as fast as Wilson could drop back. We had no answer last week. Hopefully this week will be better.

60. torinaga says:

Ugly win or not, 7 and 1 and the sky is falling.

Stop trying to kill my buzz.

61. A couple of plays early might have changed the way that whole game went. Like Marshawn’s run for first down that called back by Sweazy’s hands to the face penalty. And the dropped passes that were dropped by Tate and Kearse. If the Seahawks and been to extend any of those drives who knows where things might have gone from there. It in all likelyhood would have been an entirely different story by the end of the game. It reminds of the game with SF last year with all the dropped passes. Those kind of things can be game changers. In the old days with Jackson, Robinson, et al. it was weekly event. Luckily with these guys now it is a rare occurance. The WR have actually been pretty reliable overall.

62. Lynch’s lack of carries doesn’t surprise me much. While his percentage was low (38% per Todd) for a run-first team, I wonder how much of that was screwed up by the down and distance? Especially early on, it seemed like the Hawks were moving backwards more than forwards and ended up in a lot of 1st/2nd and >10. Would his percentage have looked better had Seattle not played so sloppy penalty-wise?

What mystifies me is why Bevel didn’t adjust and call more screens/slants to try to beat the rush and help open things up for Lynch. There was a play late in the game where RW is in the shotgun and throws a bubble screen to Tate (IIRC) where the ball is out of RWs hands pretty much right after he handles the snap (sad thing is that even with that speed, the rush was in RW’s face). I think that play went for 10+ yards and at the time I remember thinking “why the hell haven’t you pulled this out before now?”.

I haven’t gone back and charted plays, but it sure seems like SEA doesn’t have much of a quick passing game this year (or at least doesn’t call them much — they have to have packages like that, right?). Keep thinking I should pick up the all-22 and start looking at that kind of thing.

I am by no means an NFL coach, but I would think the SEA staff has to know going into these games that what the Rams did is an obvious way to attack the SEA O. And if it’s obvious, why didn’t they have a plan to counter that and why didn’t they adjust? Did they adjust but it was just one of those days where nothing was going right?

Very interested to see how the team plays Sunday. STL certainly gave TB a template to mess with the SEA O. TB is going to come in with nothing to loose, though on the positive side (for the Hawks), it’s hard to see them playing hard for Schiano.

63. Didn’t the Rams sack Russell 5 times in the Clink last season, in the last regular season game, against what most are saying was when our line was playing its best? Maybe we need to just admit that the Rams have a couple of stellar Defensive ends and are a tough match up. We are playing backup tackles. One of them just turned 22 years old and played Division II college football. The other tackle is a journeyman tough guy that should be playing guard. These are the dog days of the NFL. November is survival month. Pete and John are just trying to make it through as healthy as possible and are looking forward to getting our starters healthy. Everybody needs to chill. We are 7-1. Any long time fan that remembers Tom Flores and Dennis Erickson appreciates what we have. I know I do. Don’t make me say Stan Gelbaugh or John Friesz…..

64. doubledink says:

I think that was the screen to Baldwin. RW didn’t even move his feet. He took the snap and fired it to his left. Bang, 1st down or nearly.

65. Enough already with telling people to not be mad just because we are 7-1. They have played multiple games this year where they look more like an under .500 team. Right now the o-line is holding this team back, and if they continue to play like this against any really good teams, the losses will start to pile up. So yes, i’m happy they got the win and are 7-1, but by no means am i happy about how they have gotten to 7-1 especially if the play up front does not improve. It’s about this time of year when Caroll’s seahawks usually hit their stride. I was hoping for more of the same this year, but the o-line must improve before they can do that.

For this week against Tampa, i just hope the offensive play calls get better for such awful protection. It’s not easy when RW has less than a second to throw, but they must figure something out…that is why they are paid the big bucks. Time to make some adjustments

66. doubledink says:

Healthy as possible includes Russel Wilson. That’s why I’m not chilling. Have you never seen a team start hot and lose a QB to injury?

Don’t get me wrong, I love that we are 7-1 but the only things that count at the end of the season are 1. Seeding, 2. Health, 3. How hot are we playing.

67. I would add “where they are playing” to that list. That is why being 7-1 is so great compared to 4-4 like they were last year at the mid point of the season.

68. ChrisHolmes says:

“What mystifies me is why Bevel didn’t adjust and call more screens/slants to try to beat the rush and help open things up for Lynch.”

Actually, compared with previous games, I thought Bevell did do a pretty decent job of dialing up slants and screens.

The problem was – we would FAIL enough in our ability to gain yards (sacks, dropped passes, penalties) that drives died and we didn’t get to see the results stack up.

Seattle only ran 40 plays guys. Forty. That’s it.

It only *seems* like we didn’t run very many of X play because we just didn’t run a lot of plays, period. When you fail to gain yards on sequential plays, get sacked or get plays called back via penalty and have to punt, there’s no momentum gained. Nothing stacks up. You don’t get a chance to call more screens/slants/draws because you’re playing defense.

Seattle had some success. There was a screen to Marshawn that made positive yards and looked like it could have gone for more. There were dropped slant passes that had yards on them. There were running plays called back via penalties.

It was just an abysmal game. I hope film study for the players wakes them up this week. You cannot afford to make mistakes play after play and expect to move the chains. Just not happening.

This game should be a wake-up call for some of these dudes. Let’s hope.

69. rramstad says:

Yeah, on the one hand, I don’t want the guys to dwell on this too too much, as it’s just depressing, but conversely, there’s enough on film that it should be obvious what needs to change. If RW is under so much pressure, we need to run the ball — running Beast for a yard is better than having RW get sacked for minus six — and we need to get him rolling out away from the pressure. We also need to get some quicker developing plays going, and they need to work. So, practice this week should be pretty obvious, and hopefully we’ll come out with some nice quick five yard passes, hitches, easy stuff, roll outs to short tight end passes or running back passes… and we should have a steady diet of running game even if we’re not making a lot of yards, as that’s better than zero yards from an incompletion or negative yards because of a sack.

70. There is a reason they call him “Positive Pete.” Don’t dwell on the negative. Always compete. Win Forever. We are 7-1. Half of you guys would have been cut by now along with TJ Hoosh for not having the right attitude.

71. I really think in games like this they need to let Wilson do his thing and improvise and carry the team on his back rather than limiting him. They allowed him to do this in the Houston and Indy games. Although it seemed the first 3 quarters of the Houston game he was also being limited before deciding to carry the team on his back.

If they aren’t going to let Wilson use all of his abilities, they might as well just start Jackson who can buy time and throw from a collapsing pocket.

72. That’s what I’m saying Chris. Those drops by Tate and Kearse were the quick passes you guys seem to have wanted from them. Who knows where the game might have gone if they would have been complete and those drives had been extended.

It definitely was a stinker of a game but did we actually think they were going to play whole season without any stinkers? At least they have won their not so great games this season. Unlike last year when they lost in Arizona, St Louis, San Francisco, Detroit, and Miami. I’m totally pumped for how this season is going and do not believe for a minute that this game is in anyway at all a sign of struggles to come for this team. They’ll get the bugs worked out and then hang on guys, this is going to be a great run.

73. doubledink says:

Chris,
    I think what you said was a lot of what was happening. Self inflicted wounds creating zero momentum. We stopped ourselves before we could get going.

95% of my concern expressed grows out of failing to protect Wilson. If he goes down, kiss it goodbye. This team is so much better than this. It is the OL that is holding us back and will end this season if this continues. If RW goes down for any reason, the consensus will be because of the OLine’s crappy protection that led up to it, even if they had nothing to do with the injury itself.

It is time for this offense to gel. Here’s to watching happen.

74. Carlsonkid says:

Bevel is an idiot ; I’m not sure who is worse , him or Bates & his 20 yd ‘Go’ routes on 4th & 1 . We’ve won 7 games in spite of his idiotic play-calling .

Bowie and Sweezy were 7th round picks for a reason , & Carpenter sucks . McQ is a servicable guard but not a tackle .. this was all predictable . They tried to throw up a patch-work line on a Championship caliber team and you see the results . Omiyale ( sp ? ) and Moffitt would be helpful now but honestly , the only real talent on the O-line are Unger and Okung , and Okung is injured frequently . Unger was drafted by the previous regime , so that leaves one decent lineman drafted by Carroll/Cable/Schneider in Okung .

… there was a rumor for a while yesterday we might trade for Allen from the Vikings . My first thought was wondering if Cable was going to convert him to guard !

75. Not sure you can go 14-2 plus one and one in the play-offs with an idiot calling your plays. Might have to give the guy just a little credit.

76. chuck_easton says:

rlc,

Team isn’t 14-2 YET. They are 7-1. And 7-1 is great. But 7-1 hasn’t clinched anything.

I can already see the same guys on here that are chastizing everyone that we are being too negative and we should be happy will be the ones ranting and raving if the team doesn’t get at least one home playoff game let alone HFA.

There are still 8 games to be played. Two of those games are against teams that are currently 6-1 and 6-2. Tell me how these are ‘gimme’ games and we should just put them in the win column now?

So, Yayyyyy the team is 7-1. That means they are guaranteed of finishing the year somewhere between 15-1 and 7-9. Aside from that, my crystal ball is broken.

So, as of TODAY. And after the performance this team put out on the field Monday night, you are darn right I’m concerned. And until there is noted improvement AND consistancy week to week, game to game, opponent to opponent regardless of the opponents record, I will continue to have doubts about this team’s ability to win the big one.

Call me anything you like. I bleed silver, blue, green (from the old days) and now Wolf grey, neon green, and navy blue. But I’m not going to be all sunshine and happiness just because some blogger on here is saying we have to just be happy with 7-1.

77. From mid point last season they are 14-2. That’s pretty good to me.

78. doubledink says:

Chuck,
    I recall an old adage (old guys like us remember these things),
    “You are only as good as your last game.”
    Sounds about right.

79. doubledink says:

Georgia,
    We’ll wait til you have a few more beers. lol

80. I’m not saying they are for sure going to go 14-2 (I’m hoping they go 15-1). I’m just saying Bevel is not an idiot. Although I will say that most of the time he seems to be a better play caller with Russell Wilson playing QB than he did with Tarvaris Jackson. I wonder why that is?

81. SandpointHawk says:

Cable was not with the Seahawks when Okung was drafted.

82. boycie99 says:

The National media over the last few weeks already had the Hawks pencilled in for the Superbowl. They also all had Seattle steam rolling the Rams. A performance like that on National TV last Monday is a huge wake up call for the team. To come out with a win playing so badly is something that in the past would never have happened. They need to go back to looking at every game as 1-0 and not looking through teams, on that note Sunday is a huge game. Lots to fix and to get back on track to build momentum for the end of the year when it really counts

83. Someone please breakdown the rams blitz plays against pressures hits sacks and incompletions.

Receivers won’t change routes if there’s no blitz identified. Short routes are risky if the DBs are aggressive. You need to be able to mix up short and medium routes for any of them to be effective.

Chuck, do you really believe that this team is suddenly going to fall apart and miss the playoffs.

There is nothing about their performances in the last 26 games to even come close to that. They are 19-7 in their last 26 games and even more impressive they haven’t lost any game by more then 7 points in the last year and a half. No other team in the NFL can say that.

You must be watching another team this last year and a half or just having flashbacks of Seahawks teams of the past.

We have been in every single game since Wilson has taken over with a chance to win them all. Now that’s pretty Damn impressive.

That’s not being a homer either, that’s just reality.

85. doubledink says:

We can rest assured that Carroll and company, being the pros they are, are not taking this lightly. I think they will right the ship. Until they get some talent on the line they will need to be creative.

Bring on the Bucs and lets watch them begin the portion of the season where they make a hard push and get things really clicking.

86. doubledink says:

Georgia,
    Russel is still standing. That all changes if he goes down. At this point I bet Vegas has a line on that likelihood.

Did anyone else notice Janoris Jenkins? He is fast becoming a stud CB. Except for the one play where Tate beat him for the TD I thought he played a stellar game.

87. yankinta says:

“NFL may consider negating touchdowns for taunting penalties” WOW, SMH

That is just STUPID. I am okay with what he did. It’s not that bad as most people think although I’m not okay with costing the team 15 yards. Tate was our Offensive MVP for this game and we would not have won, without Tate!!

It just isn’t rational imo to take one bad game by our offense and use that one game as a measuring stick of how good this team really is.

I don’t know about anyone else but I believe this team overall is the best Seahawks team in history and they don’t have to prove that to me anymore.
    I see this team having several chances to win Super Bowls in the next 10+ years.
    Will they even win one? Time will tell.

89. montanamike2 says:

We do have a good team for the next decade, just right now the o-line sucks bad.

90. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

I fully expect the team to make the playoffs. My guess is the absolute worst case scenario has a record of 11-5.

But we all know that home playoff games will greatly increase the odds of Seattle making it to NY in February.

What I saw on Monday night was not a performance that gives me peace of mind that the team can hold off a charging SF team. Their last few games indicate they are full speed ahead.

Now a few hiccups by the 49rs would be a great gift right about this time.

Most national media after Mondays debacle have both the Saints and the 49rs ahead of Seattle in their predictions.

What about negating sacks When D-lineman taunt?

92. I’m okay with the celebrating and even taunting, AFTER the play is over. You don’t see a DE start celebrating when he runs by the OT, he does his dance after he levels the QB. If Tate did a dance and waved at the DB after he scored the TD no one would even care if he was acting like an idiot.

93. yankinta says:

94. Thats a great point Georgia…if they take away 6 for taunting, they better make a sack taunt an automatic first down. This is not good for the game. Goodell needs to get off his high horse

I understand your concern Chuck because there is always a possibility that things can go much worse with injuries.
    But can’t this team have a bad game or two in a season without the media ready to jump on them and throw them under the bus?

Look at the 49ers, they may be playing the best of any team right now however that wasn’t the case a few weeks ago.

Yes we are not playing our best right now but I think it’s good that we have another 8 games and a bye to get it together. And in the mean time we can still win games when we are not at our best.

96. Ya, well Tate almost didn’t score either. He almost ran himself out of bounds by not watching where he was going and then he got hit for nothing and slid awkwardly into the wall. Running full speed he wouldn’t have even been touched. Its better waiting until the play is over before you start your celebration.

97. dirtbiker_joey says:

Man, Chuck is really trying to harsh my mellow, but I for one am going to enjoy what is the best record my team has ever had after eight games. I cannot predict what is going to happen in the next nine hours, let alone the next nine weeks. There have been some pretty crappy teams we have all lived through. Now that we’re good, I’m going to enjoy every minute of it!

98. ChrisHolmes says:

“What about negating sacks When D-lineman taunt?”

“rlc,, lol, if a DE taunt before sacking the QB, he’ll never sack the QB…. really?? you want to compare the two?? lol”

I’m glad someone posted that…

This is, plain and simple, about showboating. The NFL has condoned it in one context and not another for so long that we, as fans, have come to accept it without question.

Well, maybe we should question…

There is a CLEAR double-standard for offensive and defensive players. Let’s not argue that. Even my wife picked up on it. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to pick up on the fact that defensive players get to throw a block party after a sack, but offensive players cannot.

And the timing of the showboating – either during a play or after – is irrelevant. It’s showboating, plain and simple. It’s a selfish act no matter when you do it. You’re drawing attention to yourself and trying to show up the other guy.

I’m not condoning what Tate did; I think showboating is not called for regardless of which side you play on. I always thought Barry Sanders had the right idea: just hand the ball to the ref and act like you’ve been there before.

But if we’re going to get all over Golden Tate for showboating on his way to a TD and taunting the defender, then let’s take our collective heads out of our rear ends and see the defensive celebrations for exactly what they are: showboating.

“Someone please breakdown the rams blitz plays against pressures hits sacks and incompletions.”

If my Saturday is free I’ll do it. I’d like to look through the film anyway. And seeing as how Seattle only ran 40 plays it shouldn’t be hard…

Thanks jboard1 but I wouldn’t have made that point if I didn’t read

ChrisHolmes post from yesterday-

“Tate’s taunting penalty I have no concern about. That is so easy to fix and Tate is arguably our best playmaker at receiver. Not to mention the great job he’s done as a punt returner.”

Yeah, about that taunting penalty…

I thought my wife’s perspective was pretty interesting and a bit refreshing.

She doesn’t know much about football, so I’ve been explaining the game to her last year and this year (we met a couple years ago). She doesn’t understand why it’s okay to taunt in certain situations and not others.

She sees RW get sacked a few times, and the DL are getting up and showboating, and my wife doesn’t get it. She’s saying to me, “The Rams are jerks! You can’t do that!”

So then the Tate taunting happens. As he’s streaking down the sideline for the TD, and the flag gets thrown and I immediately knew what it was for, and I told my wife, “They’re going to call him for taunting.”

And my wife says, “Well, the Rams deserve it. They’ve been jerks all night. I don’t have a problem with what he (Tate) just did.”

Leave it to my wife to put things in perspective…

We fans, who have watched this game all our lives, understand the rules and situations and such, so it’s not out of the norm for us to see defensive players living it up after a sack. And we don’t think anything of it. But to someone who doesn’t know the game, like my wife, she doesn’t see any difference between a DL showboating about a sack and a WR showboating for a touchdown. It just didn’t register with her that those two things were not equal.

And she said to me, “So they’re going to call him (Tate) for ‘taunting’ because he’s making the other player feel bad? How do they think Russell feels after they sack him and then showboat about it? They think that doesn’t make anyone feel bad? That makes no sense.”

So… I have no problem with what Tate did.

And I’m pretty sure it won’t happen again.

100. ChrisHolmes says:

“Goodell needs to get off his high horse”

Goodell needs to be fired.

I was his biggest fan when he got the job. I really don’t like him now… I think his ideas and decisions are just bad for the game and bad for the fans.

If Goodell wants a team in London so bad he should quit this job and go buy a soccer franchise.

And he can take his 18-game schedule idea and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

101. yankinta says:

Well, if Tate didn’t score,, then I would not be okay with it. But the fact stands. Tate scored. Therefore, I’m okay with what he did. I love the fact that it ticked off a nation full of Seahawks Haters….. it gives me pleasure to read the hateful comments from them,, lol :)

102. montanamike2 says:

For sure the English team and the 18 game season are stupid ideas. This isn’t a McDonald’s chain to serve them fast food.

If you want to read some ticked off Niner nation Seahawk haters then check this thread out. LOL.

I especially like it at the end of the game when the Niner fans had their high hopes squashed by some bad calls by the Ram’s.

BTW- BBmate, this is where I get some of those GIFs. Field Gulls is another place.

104. The Rams DL would have been flagged for taunting had they turned to Wilson or the OL and started celebrating. They did not so it wasn’t taunting.

Had Tate not turned to the Safety, he would not have been called. Had he went to the cameraman and did his celebration, he would have been fine. But he faced the Safety and did his thing so he was correctly flagged.

105. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, Thanks,, my favorite so far,, is by mrg80.. he said
    “Eat turf
    midget”

I assume he’s talking about our RW…. LOL…

106. Bevell called passes because even though the line sucked at pass pro, they were even worse at run blocking. Not to mention SL kept 8 in the box all game. Also, with the ball in RW’s hands, at least there was a chance he could scramble.

It would have been stupidity itself to keep sending Lynch into that wall of Rams. And all it would have done is beat Lynch up.

What, do y’all wish we’d ran it with Lynch on the TD 80 yarder to Tate?!

While Lynch should have had more carries, the line should have blocked. They didn’t.

And I don’t give a goddamn if Cable is or is not a good coach, he is ultimately responsible for making our line worse in three years despite inheriting Okung and Unger and having a first, third, and a sixth and seventh round picks to use. He’s blown every single player acquisition and utterly failed to field an NFL line. He deserves to be fired.

Having three backups play is no excuse, other teams have done more with less. This line is Cables debacle.

BTW- I see from time to time this guy named John Morgan showing up on some Niner nation threads. Is this the guy that use to work for Field Gulls?

108. chuck_easton says:

ChrisHolmes,

Goodell was hired by and is paid by the. Owners they. Love him.

Only the owners can hire and only the owners can fire the commish.

And it’s the owners that want a team in London. They have pretty much maxed out the revenue stream in the US and need that international money to increase their profit.

109. yankinta says:

lol, someone said “I despise the city of Seattle”,, lmbo…

110. fijihawksfan says:

Simmer down, peeps. Remember, we’re 7-1 at mid-season. I think everyone’s going to be singing a much different tune next week after we get the running game better in a hurry against one of the league’s worst teams. What happened on Monday was that our temporary weakness at OT got exposed by the Rams’ strength at DE. I was surprised that we didn’t seem to adjust to the Mighty Quinn running rampant by giving McQ some help. It also appears that Zack Miller is often over-matched when we try to play him at RT. Here’s what I suggest. Let’s change things up a bit by trying Alvin Bailey at LT and moving McQ over to the right side. Bailey sure looked good in the pre-season, and he’s got to be better than Bowie right now. Okung will be back soon, so here’s our chance to see if Bailey can play the position for real. In any event, given Breno’s knee and expiring contract, it looks like we may need to draft a RT in the first few rounds next year.

111. Sherman just voted Defensive Player of the Year – mid season by ESPN

112. ChrisHolmes says:

@chuck_easton Oh, I know. All too well. I know who hired him and why.

It makes me sad, however, to know that the owners, ultimately, only care about money. It’s one thing to want to grow the league back in the day when the AFL and NFL merged. But it’s another thing to want to ship it off overseas, at the expense of the home-grown fans who already pay a pretty penny to attend games. And on top of it, to keep considering this stupid plan to play 18 games when we already lose too many players to attrition in a 16-game season…

It’s greed. And it’s disappointing.

I wish I owned a team. Because I can guarantee you, whatever millions I’d be making would be enough. I’d be a strong advocate to keep the game as it is. 16 games, in the USA.

This sport already has enough potential to get derailed on popularity by the concussion issue. We don’t need a bunch of greedy owners to help ruin it as well.

113. yankinta says:

lol, wow,, someone even made this up….

STTBM- What are you trying to say? Lol, just kidding.

I don’t want to label Cable a great Coach or a bad Coach at this time.

You have to give him some credit for the run game, (however how much does having Lynch help that)?

And there hasn’t been much good at all concerning our pass protection at any time Cable has been here.
    I really don’t want to think too strong one way or another about Cables coaching until we get back to full strength and see how they do down the stretch.

It really was disturbing though,(in the Ram’s game) that not only did the O-line not pass protect well, but they couldn’t run block well either. And that was against a team that was giving up 130 yards a game. (30th) in the NFL.

115. How can anyone be okay with Tate doing that?

It was a 15 yard penalty.

Think about it… it could have and should have given the Rams much, much better field position at a crucial point in the game when we wanted to pin them back as far as possible.

116. doubledink says:

The fact that he knew it was a penalty and did it anyway bothers me more than the fact that he did it. At the time I thought it was classless, but worse, it was stupid.

117. yankinta says:

Yup Yup. I could have and if it did give Rams a better field position, I would not be okay with it. Since it didn’t give Rams a better field position, I’m okay with it.,, plus he said he won’t do it again, so all’s well. :)

But there were some Seahawks Fans that said Tate should be Fined or kicked off the team for what he did. It made me smh…they don’t realize that Tate was our Offensive MVP. Without him, we would not have won this game….that’s all.

118. Georgia – thanks for posting that Marshawn run back at 11:30 or so.

119. Yeah – the “cut him” type talk is crazy, but if he does that in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl (thankfully, he has said it’ll never happen again), and any close upcoming game, to give the Hawks the lead late in a game and forces Hausch to kick from 15 yards back – everyone on this blog would like to have the opoortunity to strangle him senseless.

120. Seahawkfan78 says:

If it wasnt a penalty I would have no problem with Tate doing what he did. Did he really hurt anyone with that taunt? Did the taunt start a fight? Then it shouldnt be a penalty. But this is the National Flag Football league now…

121. HeinieHunter says:

I personally think that the Hawks looked past this game and then couldn’t get started once they realized they were in a dog fight. They were backed up right of the bat with another silly penalty. They looked slow and tentative all night long. They are not as bad a team as they looked Monday night and those who are writing them off. Now are going to look like fools before the season is over.

122. Seattle also suffered from a pathetic gameplan. Some serious blame has to go to the coaches for that and the in-game adjustments being slow and ineffective, not to mention the lack of discipline, sloppiness, and stupid penalties.

123. SEA is the rushingest team in the NFL. Cable was hired to help make their run-game work. He did. Sean Locklear, like alotta the other OLers that played for SEA before Cable came were good at pass-pro, but their run-blocking wasn’t great, so they didn’t get resigned when their contracts came due, or otherwise left.

Last season our OL was more stable than this season. Four players started almost the whole season: Breno started every game at RT (1184 snaps), McQ started every game (at LG for first 3 games, then RG for the next 9, then back at LG) (1169 snaps), Unger started every game at center (1153 snaps), Okung started every game at LT (except week 2 – 1085 snaps). Then four players played a little more than the same number of snaps that one player would account for for an entire season: Moffitt 474 snaps, Sweezy 395 snaps, Carp 352 snaps, Omiyale 119 snaps, and Lem 41 snaps. Moffitt played both RG & LG, Sweezy played RG, Carp played LG, Omiyale played LT, and Lem played C. That OL ranked in the middle of the NFL for run-blkg. The OL was sposta get better with more experience and continuity together this season.

But, this season the OL has been hit harder by the injury bug, and I think other teams are scheming more to take away SEA’s run game, like covering all the gaps, making sure RW doesn’t get outta the pocket and run, and run-blitzing.

124. Taunting is too much of a judgement call. Was the play eralier in the season when Marshawn stopped at the one yard line and then stepped in a taunt? I suppose it could be interpreted as such.

125. Klm–our line was middle of the road in run blocking last year?! Despite having Lynch to make them look good?! Wow, to me that’s terrible. Cable has had three years and that’s the best we’ve done–mediocre in run blocking, below avg at pass pro?! We should have been able to get results like that with UDFA, and not wasted picks on useless linemen…

Cable has failed miserably.

126. Sea was 4th in run blocking in 2012 according to Football Outsiders.