Tweet link: Sidney Rice out for the year

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:57 pm with 52 Comments »
October 29, 2013 3:33 pm

I’m working to confirm this.

UPDATE: The Seahawks have confirmed that Rice is out for the year.

1. Dave Boling says:

From the way he went down, I thought he might be dealing with another concussion. He had that dazed look we’ve seen before. Certainly have to question his future with the Hawks.

2. I wonder if it was the same knee he got surgery on back in August. His decline this year made it so much easier for teams to play press man and just tee-off on the Seahawks with the pass rush.

Will the Seahawks tune to Channel 83?

Looks like Harvin’s time to shine.

4. well, i wasted some cash on my Rice 18 jerseys.

I don’t think we’ll ever see #18 play a snap in a seahawks uniform again.

5. Unless, of course, he’s willing to take a huge pay cut to stay on the team, which is possible considering he’s a middle of the road wide receiver who will be coming off of the torn ACL.

6. montanamike2 says:

I guess we don’t have too much of a hard time taking somebody off the roster for Percy.

7. yankinta says:

Too bad JK drops a lot…. otherwise, this would be his Huge Opp to earn some playing time and a future contract!!!

8. Good points. I don’t know if we can tune into Channel 83 yet. I like him, but there are more consistent players at the position on the team. Harvin should be a tremendous boost, but I hope there aren’t too many eggs placed in that basket…

BTW, I read your posts just about everyday. I really like what you all have to say, good, bad or indifferent.

9. that sucks. he wasn’t getting many catches (who is w this pass protecition?), but he was still a very sure handed receiver, who could make some tough grabs.

it’s a blow.

10. Sick. Sick. Sick.

…in my stomach.

11. Dave Boling says:

Seahawks just confirmed it … ACL … out for season

12. That does answer the “who goes off the 53 when PH comes back” question…

13. doubledink says:

I would think we will be getting doses of Tate and Baldwin outside with Percy in the slot, and Kearse until PH is active.

14. Maybe this is karma for thinking how bad the Whiner WRs suck. We’re in the same boat now, maybe worse.

15. Dave Boling says:

Apparently, it’s not something they can fix in a hurry in Switzerland. Shame for Sid. It certainly seemed as if he put in the work to get back. 15 catches, 3 TDs … 12 total TDs in 2 1/2 seasons

16. doubledink says:

Was it just me, or was Lynch hardly on the field last night? I kept seeing #22 and wondering where ML was. I wonder what his snap count was. That would say something about whether or not Bevel was trying to send him a message.

17. Too bad JK drops a lot . . . . . you mean the 2 he has officially for the season?

Why do I keep thinking about Williams and Harper?

19. Trade deadline’s over, right?

20. Rice’s season ended when he had that knee surgery in August. He wasn’t even a starting caliber WR after that procedure.

Now if it can be argued that he would be back at full strength near season’s end then it’s a bad loss. But at this point any decent man CB could shut him out of the game.

xcman- If you ever followed JKs career at UW then you would understand.

22. Lost in all of this is the fact that, as of last night, Earl Thomas has entered Kenny Easley territory (not that we didn’t know about his greatness before last night).

Many long time readers know how much I (us) love Easley, but ET is now in the conversation. Wow.

23. Earl was awesome last night.

24. Maybe we’ll hear about how Kearse is going to be inducted in Canton or Bowie is going to take the job and be a Pro Bowler?

Our players are great and every other player in the NFL sucks. Unless we lose or win a close game – then all our players suck and we should get rid of them all.

*This isn’t aimed at anyone – I’m just mad and venting about losing one of my favorite Seahawks (Rice). Uhhh!!!

25. It’s a bummer for Sid and a bummer for the team. I suspect he wouldn’t have been back next year so as much as I hate to say it, this will give the front office a chance to really evaluate our need at the WR position next year.

Going forward I wonder what this means for the WR corp as a whole. Who plays the outside in Sid’s place? Do you move Baldwin out there and Percy to the slot? That would be two guys playing in “new” spots so-to-speak. (Understanding Percy know’s the slot, but he’s still a “new” guy for the team.)

Do you put Percy out there and leave Baldwin in the slot where he has great chemistry with RW? Or do you promote Kearse there and continue with the original plan for bringing Percy in?

And how does this all pan out for Ricardo Lockette? That’s an interesting story. He was with us, got released. Picked up by San Fran and rooms with Kap. Get’s released and bounced around somewhere else for a few weeks and now he’s back with us on the PS. Can you imagine the irony if he were to end up staring for us the rest of the season?

Lots to think about here!

26. It’s a bummer this wasn’t discover say THIS morning. Hakeem Nicks…#88 would’ve looked real good right about now.

Bummer. I kind of like Sid personally and wanted to see him and Harvin back together, but don’t think that’ll be happening any time soon if ever.

Given the choice, I’d still prefer to have some o-line help. Kearse really needs to step up now. Other than him, we have no size to go along with our ability to not separate. Harvin will change some of that if/when he’s ready to go.

I felt bad about the ‘W’ but was happy to get it. I feel worse now. Ugh.

go hawks

27. I think they knew last night. I figured it was a serious knee injury once he didn’t come back, especially given the prior knee surgery.

28. SlickToxic21 says:

Easley is still my favorite Seahawk of all time! Still the most exciting Seahawk to watch play game after game!!

29. ChrisHolmes says:

Percey’s presence more important than ever.

I wanted to see Rice, Tate, Harvin and Baldwin on the field at the same time… Ugh.

30. doubledink says:

don’t bet on Percy this week…

Just got to weather the storm.
    We still have enough pieces to make a Super Bowl run.

32. Georgia – We definitely can/will make a SB run, especially when Okung comes back (even though he won’t single handedly make the OL good).

33. Hawkjitsu says:

Can’t we still trade with some sort of penalty???

34. I’d like to see a little Christine Michael. we could use another weapon. turbin has looked pretty average on his carries. we should be getting something out of a 2nd round pick.

Agree BobbyK- I’m not giving up on this team for sure. The road just gets a little more rough, however this team is tough and we will get through this stuff.
    And we will be on our way to the Super Bowl.

36. chuck_easton says:

This definitely falls under the be careful what you ask for catagory.

People on here were screaming to have Rice benched and/or cut.

Now we are going to see how much of a difference it makes to have him out of the lineup.

I think Rice is going to be missed a lot more than people thought.

Just like everybody wanted Breno gone. How’s that working out?

37. WilliamPercival says:

If we had to lose one receiver I would have had it be Rice or Kearse. I’m actually not upset that its Rice over Kearse either. The reality is he is prob gone next year unless he restructures to the tribe of $2-3mil/yr.

38. chuck_easton says:

No hawkjitsu. The NFL trade deadline is hard and fast.

Only hope now is to pick up someone from the street and/or scour the waiver wire for some team’s castoff.

39. Southendzone says:

Major bummer having to drop Stephen Williams a while back, he’s the perfect guy to step in for Rice.

Sidney seemed like a good guy, he didn’t put up the numbers we all would have liked but he worked hard and was a good Seahawk. Maybe after this, his knee comes back better then before as they can address the other issues in there at the same time.

40. WilliamPercival says:

By the way, they will not be adding William Percival Harvin to the open spot. Too early. Look for Rockette..

41. Southendzone says:

After all the Seahawk Scraps that Jacksonville picked up, can’t Bradley just do us a favor and waive Stephen Williams? See if somehow he doesn’t get grabbed and let us get him back?

COME ON GUS!

42. SeahawkFan12 says:

Note to the Legion of Gloom: The sky is not falling.

Rice has under-performed and his absence will not diminish this team. Even if Harvin is less than spectacular, the loss of Rice does not spell disaster.

43. We just need to keep winning so nobody can take home field from us. Even with crappy WRs and OL – nobody, IMO, is going to come to Seattle and win a play-off game.

For all the talk about the 49ers beating us if we played like last night — does anyone think the players will approach a 49ers game the way they prepared for a team we were favored to win by double digits like last night? I don’t mean to insinuate the players weren’t trying last night – I just simply think that you give more against some teams than you do others (which, on the surface, may seem hypocritical).

44. doubledink says:

Bobby,
    I agree they will be “up” for that game, I just don’t know if they are up to it… Niners actually have an offense. I know they will adjust and cover some of their gaping wounds, but still. Neither team is playing currently the way they did the last time they met.

Hopefully both teams will be healthy and sporting their starters so we can see which team is really the best.

45. I was on here touting ET last night. Double-fisted pat on my back! That hit on Clemens was just awesome. He was laying some wood last night.

Rice is done here unless he wants to come in for the vet minimum and compete for a job. 7.3 mil in cap savings. We will see what he meant to this team. Hard to tell this year with the state of the o-line. Time for Kearse and Baldwin to step up. Good thing Harvin will be back soon. This also should clarify Tate’s value going into UFA.

46. I think some people forget that not every team out there has a Quinn at one end and a Long at the other. The o-line is still certainly a big concern, but every team out there can’t do that. Especially once at least Okung is back.

47. Did anyone else out there think that Carp looked pretty good last night, or at least average?

48. montanamike2 says:

I didn’t notice any bad play out of Carp, i was too busy watching Sweezy and MQ get blown by like they weren’t even there.

49. Bowie was playing a good matador as well.

50. I noticed Carp whiffing a few times (nothing new) but he definitely sucked much less than the entire right side and the guy lining up next to him in McQuistan.

51. OregonHawk says: