Morning links: Clemens on Chancellor: ‘Do not be standing on the tracks when that freight train is coming down the tunnel’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 25, 2013 at 6:13 am with 69 Comments »
October 25, 2013 9:22 am

Good morning.

Without Sam Bradford, and already dire situation has become worse. In steps affable former Oregon quarterback Kellen Clemens.

Clemens knows where he stands in the organization. Now that he is the starter, he knows that may not last, too. He’s in command for at least one week. Unfortunately for him, that comes against arguably the NFL’s best secondary. We wrote about Clemens today.

Also in today’s TNT was a notebook with items on Percy Harvin and tight end Zach Miller. Offensive line coach Tom Cable has worked with Miller for all seven of the tight end’s seasons in the NFL. “What a difference the guy makes,” Cable said.

We chatted with Cable yesterday, too. When asked about Michael Bowie, the reviews were not glowing. Cable said Bowie is doing some good things in the run game and with play-action, but was not pleased he was blown by twice in Arizona, leading to Russell Wilson backside hits and fumbles.

Links:

> Mynorthwest.com has a Q&A with St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Jeff Gordon.

> Old friend Mike Sando joined John Clayton on 710 ESPN for a Seahawks roundtable.

> The NFL Live crew makes its picks for the Seahawks-Rams game

> CBS’ Pete Prisco wonders why teams bring pressure on Russell Wilson.

> Seahawks.com writes that secondary coach Kris Richard is “living the dream.”

> Seahawks.com also says Seattle is learning to win on the road.

> Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett has some unflattering things to say about Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano, and counters that with a statement about how he thinks it is in Seattle.

“It’s lovely here,” Bennett says. “I can’t even explain to people how it is here, compared to Tampa. They wouldn’t believe me.”

> Veteran CB Cortland Finnegan is hoping to play Monday night for the Rams.

> The Panthers clobbered the woeful Bucs last night and are beginning to roll. They’re becoming a dangerous team and have two shots at New Orleans still left this season.

The more I watch the Panthers of late the more I’m impressed with the Seahawks first win of the season.

Cam Newton is playing well, and looks to have turned the corner from being a turnover machine.

And their Defense is one of the best if not the best in the NFL.

Good luck Saints and 49ers when you play this team.

2. RDPoulsbo says:

The reason teams blitz Seattle is the poor o-line play. It sounds counter-intuitive to blitz poor o-lines and drop 7 against good ones, but that’s a general rule for defensive game plans not that it always works as Prisco points out. Bad lines are bad because they aren’t assignment sound so a blitzer creates more confusion and greatly increase the chances a rusher comes through even if it’s not the blitzer. Good lines are smart about their assignments and more likely to pick him up, so dropping 7 in zone are the better odds of stopping a pass play. All things being equal of course.

What Prisco is suggesting though plays right into zone-read and creating huge holes for Lynch to go off guard for huge gains. Seattle runs the ball heavily, so you’d be exposing a soft under belly to the bread and butter of the Seahawk offense.

3. HawkfaninMT says:

Random thought from a few posts back…

Carroll says Wagner is way ahead of schedule… then goes on to say there is no time table for his return. I read time table as the same as schedule. How can he be ahead of schedule if there is no schedule?

Keep calm and Carry on

4. Breno doesn’t have to worry about losing his job to Bowie this year.

5. montanamike2 says:

Apparently i’m posting too fast! When does Breno come back?

6. Still unknown. My guess is after the bye because Carroll said Breno will need a few weeks of practice time and he’s still a few weeks from that point.

7. yankinta says:

RDPoulsbo,, Prisco is just a biased writer/wanna be Football Analyst. He clearly failed in that article. Did you read the comments left for him on that page? :)

8. Well, well, well…I hope it’s not a jinx, but I just read in the St. Louis Post Dispatch that our beloved Seahawks have the best win percentage on Monday Night Football

“The Seahawks are 18-8 in Monday night play and will enter next week’s game at the Edward Jones Dome riding a six-game winning streak on Mondays. Seattle owns the best all-time winning percentage (.692) on Monday Night Football, with San Francisco (43-25, .632), Pittsburgh (40-24, .625), Indianapolis (21-13, .618) and Carolina (6-4, .600) rounding out the top five.”

Who would of known? Haven’t seen that in any of the Seattle papers or media. Pretty remarkable. It’s nice to be all-time at something. And here’s to going out this Monday night and kicking the crap out of our division rivals. Of course, I’d be happy with just getting the ‘W’.

GO HAWKS!

9. RDPoulsbo says:

I normally don’t bother with Prisco, but this one was sure to be full of comedic value and it didn’t disappoint. Have the DEs sellout on the pass when Seattle runs far more often? I’d love to see a team employ that game plan. Any high school coach could draw up a far more effective plan of attack than that.

I’ll have to look back at the comments when I have more time.

10. NYHawkFan says:

Wow! The article that quotes Bennett about his former Tampa Bay team is interesting. Over the last couple of years. a number here have been mentioning what a train wreck the Tampa organization has become. This article confirms it. What a joy it is to have a head coach that gets it.

11. yankinta says:

Yeah,, this was one of my favorite comment… :)

Seahawksny said “He is dead wrong.

For those who saw the game against Atlanta, although Seattle decided to play one half, there were times when he had, 4, 5, sometimes even 6 seconds to throw in the pocket. Zach Miller had the game of his life because of this and there weren’t defenders within ten yards of him. Had Seattle played a decent game in the first half, the contest would not have been close. Whats comical was that Pete was actually in attendance in Atlanta and covered the game!!!!”

12. yankinta says:

WOW,, “Even more telling, their first six opponents have been outscored 172-62 in their next games after playing the Seahawks.”

I was thinking Cardinals should beat Falcons easily,, but now I’m not too sure…

How does Schiano still have a job this morning? Good lord, the Bucs are simply awful, and getting worse.

14. yankinta says:

Larry Fitzgerald is a Classy guy and a great player!!…. no wonder the entire League respect this dude and he deserves it!!

Schiano needs to keep his job at least until after the Seahawks game. Lol.

16. RDPoulsbo says:

Opposing teams are doing ok containing Seattle’s offense. In spite of the stats, no one can tell me they are clicking on all cylinders. Blitzing up the middle against a 1 armed Unger flanked by 2 blow up dolls is exactly what I’d be doing too, but DEs should be playing edge containment first. Opponent’s premier pass rushers are there, so they can’t resist blowing up bad tackles in McQ and Bowie as well, but that’s what’s allowing Wilson to get out of the pocket and make plays.

I hope Harvin can get in and get a couple touches. He missed all of training camp, so it would be good to just let him get his feel again in this upcoming preseason game and get him more rounded into game shape in the 2nd preseason game. It’s kind of nice to have a 2nd preseason in the middle of the year.

If Schiano isn’t fired this week, maybe he’ll get fired on the tarmac after the Hawks trounce him next week. The man is trash and doesn’t belong in the game of football, even at the college level. On the bright side, he drove Bennett back to the PNW, so we can thank him for that.

17. HawkFromDay1 says:

Ha! Great call Georgia! Definitely in favor of that scenario.

Schiano is just a mess – you can’t just walk around and MF guys who are making millions. Your best players can just say: “fine, cut me, pay out my guaranteed money and I’ll go sign a new deal with another team.” Meanwhile your salary cap becomes a cornucopia of dead money… even the Freeman move probably will cost them a few million in cap space next year.

That said, whoever takes the Bucs job next year has a shot at coach of the year right away. That roster is pretty stacked. Reminds me of the Chiefs this year – tons of talent with a multi-year barrage of bad coaching.

18. First Bennett says he really wanted to go back to the Bucs when FA started and when they didn’t want him back, he says he hated it there. Which one is true?

Also if they keep Schiano around through the end of the season the Bucs may get a very good QB in the draft.

20. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, I agree plus here’s another reason why Schiano won’t be fired….

” First, right now they’re looking at the #2 overall pick. So as long as they keep losing then they have a real good shot of getting one of the blue-chip QB prospects that will be available in the draft without needing to trade up. Second, the investigation into Freeman’s leaked medical records. If it turns that Schiano was responsible for this then it’s a federal crime punishable up to a $50K fine to him. More importantly, if Schiano was responsible for the leak then it could be considered a breach of contract and they could fire Schiano without having to pay him a dime of the remainder of his contract. That’s another 3 years at $3 million per year the Glazers could get off the hook on having to pay.”

21. chuck_easton says:

RDPaulsbo,

Harvin hasn’t even been added to the 53 man roster yet. Everything coming out of VMAC is exactly as expected ‘day-to-day’, ‘needs to do a full week of practice’, ‘we’re monitoring how he’s coming along’, ‘needs to get into football condition’.

All that should send a clear message that Harvin is not playing this week. I would think there’s a good chance for the TB game, a better chance for the Atlanta game, but my guess is the ‘plan’ is to have him full-go just in time to face the Vikings. I’m sure Harvin wants to put up some HUGE numbers on that team for some reason.

I’m also betting the decision will be to sit Wagner again this week. No reason to rush him back for this game.

Breno and Okung are likely going to be taking the field together for the Vikings game.

It’s the Vikings and on that the schedule gets serious. IF the team has possitioned itself for a stretch run, the starting line is the Vikings and the end line is to have things in hand before the Arizone and/or Rams home games.

22. doubledink says:

If they fire him they owe him $15m. But if this investigation shows he leaked Freeman’s medical info, that is a crime and breach of contract. I look for them to weather the storm, wait on the FBI and savor their draft pick.

23. montanamike2 says:

I’m so glad they’re on our schedule. As long as we’re winning until it all comes together.

24. doubledink says:

Tampa Bay, that is.

25. HawkyHann says:

Is it me, or do Oregon players have difficult time being legit NFL starters. Who are the top 5 NFL players from Oregon today?

26. chuck_easton says:

The first indication that Harvin will play the next game is the day he is added to the 53. The team has a three week exemption where he can practice fully but not count against the active roster.

If/when Harvin is added to the 53 the only reason is he’s ready to go. No need to use up a spot on the active roster until either he’s a go or the three weeks are used up.

Any player this is going to be eligible to play in this weekend’s games (Monday night included as it is considered the final game of that week and the new week does not start until Tuesday) must be added to the active roster before 4:00pm EST on Saturday.

So, if Harvin isn’t added to the active roster by tomorrow, he’s not playing this week.

27. RDPoulsbo says:

Chuck, they’re always cagey about injury reports, so who knows where things are really going until Monday. If they have to wait for the 2nd preseason game, that should be ok as well. Same goes with Wagner. The Vikings will be a 4th preseason game. They’re still trying to figure out which QB to use to start the season.

Good points about keeping Schiano around until after the Freeman investigation, and I’m pretty sure Shiano was behind it trying to grease the wheels to get him out of town. If ownership is going to save their core though, they’ll need to balance $9 mil of non-cap money vs. the cap money it will cost to sign FAs and time to recover from losing team leaders. Besides, it’s a deep QB draft so they can afford to win a game or 2. Plus an interim coach isn’t likely to win much anyway.

28. RDPoulsbo says:

Oh and with Mike Rob signed, you should be expecting Coleman to go on IR when Harvin gets added to the roster since he’s likely out 4-6 weeks, if not longer.

29. montanamike2 says:

Tampa Bay is a sorry mess. I don’t know about who makes the MNF schedule, but they show a lot of bad games. I love how our team always plays on a higher level when we’re Nationally viewed, that includes the playoffs.

30. yankinta says:

Thanks Seahawkfan78,,, That’s my kind of Article..!! :)

31. chuck_easton says:

RDPoulsbo,

Yes, the team can be cagey about who will and will not be active on game day from the active 53 man roster.

Harvin is NOT on the 53 man roster. He must first be added to the active roster and another player released. He can THEN be a game time decision.

League rules do not allow a team to add a player to their active roster after 4:00pm EST on the last business day of the week. While I think that would mean he must be added TODAY I also think he could be added by Saturday.

But the team cannot activate a player to the 53 man roster from Sunday through Tuesday. That is also why there must be a final injury report that lists the status of players. It is cheating to suddenly add a guy to the active roster and suit him up once the games have started.

That is why I say unless Harvin is activated within the next 24 hours or so don’t expect him this week.

32. WiscCory says:

Georgia, I agree. Panthers may just be the team that helps the Hawks secure home field advantage this season.

(with the assumption that the Hawks continue winning)

33. WiscCory says:

BTW, I just made an impulse decision and will drive to St. Louis on Monday. I just can’t pass up the opportunity to see an NFL game for less than $25.

34. RDPoulsbo says:

Chuck, I don’t think activating him to the 53 man roster means much of anything but I do think they will do that this week. Coleman is not likely to play again this year, so putting him on IR and adding Harvin isn’t going to change things.

35. Harvin won’t be playing Monday they showed him on NWCN last night icing his hip.
    Paitience is a Virtue Seahawk Fans give him a couple of weeks to get into the swing of things and test things out.
    Don’t think they need to rush anything right now on any of the injured players, let people get healed up right for the stretch run of the season.
    My guess is they activate him after the Tampa game if he is keeps progressing w/o any issues

36. montanamike2 says:

WiscCory that’s awesome!

37. RDPoulsbo says:

I saw on the news last night that there were several tickets on StubHub going for less than $10. Hillarious.

All I’m saying is there’s already a natural move to put Harvin on the 53 man roster, so go ahead and do it. If he’s not ready, make him one of the 8 inactives an hour before game time. Better to keep a division foe in an away game guessing what’s going to happen up to the last minute.

38. montanamike2 says:

Totally agree RD.

39. doubledink says:

When we play Tampa, Wilson will be facing the guy that NC chose to go with at QB instead of him – prompting his transfer to Wisconsin.

40. montanamike2 says:

I didn’t know that.

41. HawkFromDay1 says:

Top 5 Oregon Players:

1. Max Unger (Duh)
    2. Haloti Ngata
    3. Kiko Alonso (Bills LB and rookie)
    4. Jairus Byrd?
    5. LaGarrette Blunt?
    6. LaMichael James?

I’d take a bet Schiano won’t last the year. Both the front office and the players hate him.

43. HawkFromDay1 says:

NC State thank you – as an NC resident I got to see some of this first hand. No State fans wanted to see Russell go. The baseball stuff really soured the coach on Russell’s commitment to football and he was going to name Glennon the starter without even letting Russell compete for the job. So Russell said “let me leave then” and O’Brien did.

Tom O’Brien should be known as the Tim Ruskell of North Carolina sports.

Also, a lot of people down here are now closet Seahawks fans because of Russell. Of course, down here, watching football is just to kill time before basketball season.

44. I guess Winslow wasn’t the problem with Schiano. Doesn’t sound like any of his players like him. He needs to go back to college. You can get away with treating 18-23 year old men on scholarship that way.

45. HawkyHann says:

thanks, HawkyFromDay 1. I remember now they also have the Ravens TE and Miami rookie-Jordan. Still an unimpressive list in my opion, especially if you compare to say, Cal.

CAL-
    1.) Rogers
    2.) Lynch
    3.) Mebane
    4.) Desean
    5.) Gonzalez

46. yankinta says:

HawkFromDay1,, I LOVE Kiko Alonso…. That dude is a Stud. I think he will be the DROY. I’d trade Bobby Wagner for him and I really like Bobby Wagner too…

47. chuck_easton says:

RDPoulsbo,

Actually the Roster rules mean everything in this case.

A team can only have 53 players on their active roster and up to 8 PS.
    To add a player to the 53 the team must release a player from the 53.
    This must be done through the league with the proper papers filed in the league office in NY. This is why it must be done by the end of the last business day of that week.

Seattle can’t just wake up Monday morning and decide to activate Harvin. The end of the business week for week 8 is already closed and the business week for week 9 doesn’t start until Tuesday morning.

And as I said, since the team has a three week window that allows Harvin to be a full participant but not count against the 53 the ONLY reason the team would put him on the 53 is that they intend to play him in the next game.

So, again, if Harvin isn’t activated to the 53 man roster today then he can’t be added until Tuesday at the earliest. If he hasn’t been added to the 53 by Friday November 1 he can’t play in the TB game. If he hasn’t been added to the active roster by Friday November 8th he can’t play in the Atlanta game.

And so on.

So, the advice here isn’t will he/won’t he or should he/shouldn’t he play it’s simply follow the official transaction reports.

Seattle won’t activate him until he’s going to play.

48. RDPoulsbo says:

Chuck, as I mentioned before, Seattle is already effectively 1 man down with Coleman out for likely a minimum 6 weeks for his hamstring. With Mike Rob signed, he’s headed for the IR. For that reason, I fully expect them to put Harvin on the roster this week, exemption or not. Even if they don’t plan to play him Monday, it leaves Fisher guessing there’s a possibility until 1 hour before game time.

49. princeaden says:

Off topic. This is probably my alltime favorite and the only time I think I ever saw Largent talking some $h!t to another player..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KO-XW8M2A

50. chuck_easton says:

RDPoulsbo,

Again, as I mentioned before the team would have to do that by 1PM Seattle time today. If Harvin isn’t added to the 53 man active roster today pursuant to the NFL Rules he cannot be added until after week 8 is completed.

It doesn’t matter the status of Coleman. He was going to be one of the 7 players currently on the active roster that must be inactive on game day anyway.

Again, rules are rules.

53 man active roster
    8 man PS
    game day only 46 players can be active from the EXISTING 53 man roster and 7 must be inactive.

To add a player to the 53 man Active roster the team must file the paperwork with the NFL league office no later then the end of the business day on Friday. No changes can be made to the active roster during the weekend.

So, this whole argument will be mute in exactely 1 hour and 47 minutes. No Harvin on the 53, no Harvin on Monday.

I just LOVE rules!

51. Screensmoke says:

Kyle long – rookie starter Chicago

52. RDPoulsbo says:

Chuck, I think we’re arguing the same point, but to put it another way, I see no value in keeping Coleman on the 53 man roster when reports are his hamstring injury is severe and his replacement is aready signed. The chances of Coleman playing anytime soon is 0%. Making the move to put Harvin on the roster today and thus make him available for Monday, Fisher has to think something is up and will not know until 1 hour before gametime if he does have a chance to play. If he’s not ready to play, whether it’s Coleman or Harvin on the 8 man inactive list isn’t going to change anything in terms of what the Seahawks plan to do.

53. chuck_easton says:

RD,

You are correct. Somebody will have to be cut or placed on IR to free up a spot on the 53 man roster. That player must be notified and the league office must receive the paperwork no later than 1pm Seattle time today. Any player that is still on the 53 man roster after 1PM today is on the roster until Tuesday regardless of their playing status.

I’m just pointing out that having a discussion on whether Harvin will or won’t play Monday night is pre-mature at this time. He can’t play as of this minute because he’s not an active player.

That is the whole reason a team can only dress 46 (used to be 45 and the ‘emergency QB’ players from the active roster on gameday and must have 7 players that are currently on the roster sit out.

It is to ensure there is not a situation where one team plays with less players than the other. A team can have a player inactive for game day that is injured without having to cut or IR him. Coleman, Breno, and Wagner will almost definitely be in the 7 inactives annouced 1 hour prior to kickoff Monday.

That is also why the league is so strict about the injury reports. If a player is listed as OUT on the final injury report of the week, they can’t suddenly get healthy and play.

Again, the team may not make a final announcement of a change to the roster until later in the day, but the league office must be notified by 4pm Eastern timezone today.

54. rramstad says:

Interesting stuff re: the rules on roster moves. I didn’t realize that the 53 had to be set on Friday for a Monday night game. Seems a little restrictive.

55. jawpeace says:

Princeaden, I knew what that link was going to be, seen it hundreds of times; but I could not resist seeing it one more time. I wish the video had the play before which pissed of Largent even more than Harden knocking out Largent tooth weeks earlier. It was Blades head in between a Broncos legs with the guy jumping up and down pulling on his face mask and they called it off setting personal fouls. Largent screamed at the ref, “that is not offsetting.” Then the next play happened. Ah the good memories.

56. OregonHawk says:

What about Jonathon Stewart on that list of Oregon players?

57. Screensmoke says:

Jeff maehl/ Patrick Chung-Philly

58. Screensmoke says:

Paysinger- giants-

59. chuck_easton says:

rramstad,

It’s simply the fact that while we fans see this as a game, and a game that is played by our team in Seattle, it is still a business.

For all the Sunday games the teams must file their final injury report today. That final report has OUT, QUESTIONABLE, PROBABLE as choices. QUESTIONABLE and PROBABLE mean a player may or may not be active on Sunday and will be a game time decision. Any player listed as OUT on final injury reports today can’t play.

Seattle and St. Louis don’t have to file their final injury report until tomorrow since they technically have one extra day during this work week.

Remember all official league business is run through the NFL Office in New York City. So all league business runs on East Coast time. Just another way West Coast teams get the short end of things. By the time Seattle finishes their practice today the League office is already closed for the weekend and there can be no further official business such as player movement, contracts, or anything else that requires the filing of papers.

Just like I am sitting at my desk on a Friday, pretending to work, but I know the Court is closed at 4PM so there is little chance of being served with any paperwork. :)

60. Screensmoke says:

Ok-enouph about ducks

61. Dan Fouts Oregon tops

62. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I’m not sure even that roster information is true. Because Bryan Walters I believe was signed on Saturday and played the next day on Sunday.

63. chuck_easton says:

His signing to the 53 was announced on Saturday. He was signed on Friday.

64. http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/o
    CB Walter Thurmond SEA
    DB T.J. Ward CLE
    FS Jairus Byrd BUF
    FS Eddie Pleasant HOU
    SS Patrick Chung PHI

65. ChrisHolmes says:

“I guess Winslow wasn’t the problem with Schiano. Doesn’t sound like any of his players like him. He needs to go back to college. You can get away with treating 18-23 year old men on scholarship that way.”

The Schiano story is fascinating to me.

I don’t know the guy. Or much about him. But when he came into the league, he was labeled as a “disciplinarian”. To me, that means a yeller, screamer; a guy who gets into your grill, challenges your manhood and pride, and can be disrespectful. I just don’t think that style flies as easily today as it did 20 years ago.

Then he goes out and does the whole blow-up-the-kneeldown play thing, which comes across to me as bush-league.

Now I hear a player says the guy has “small man’s syndrome”.

He runs players out of town, including the starting QB (who, until the last half of last year, was the toast of the town).

It’s all starting to add up, isn’t it?

Guys like Schiano… drive me nuts. I’m glad he’s not our coach.

Guys like him will never change. They’ll never adapt. They’ll always push that line (and sometimes crossover it) where they are borderline insulting, demeaning, derogatory…

I just have never, ever understood why guys like that think you’re going to get the most out of your employees by acting like a jerk.

I feel sorry for the college kids whose athletics department ends up hiring the guy. Because he will coach again in college, I’m certain.

66. raymaines says:

With all the talk about Greg Schiano, I thought this might be a good time to repost this older article about the way Pete Carroll and the Seahawks do things.

Please take a minute to read it if you haven’t already. It’s an eye opener.

67. Yank – what comment did you leave Prisco?

68. NYHawkFan says:

Doesn’t Jim Harbaugh coach the same way as Schiano? Definitely an “in your face” and generally unpleasant kind of guy. Of course the difference is that Harbaugh’s guys seem to like him and he gets results.