Morning links: Seahawks continue to get better on third down

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:15 am with 43 Comments »
October 19, 2013 12:15 am

Good morning.

Today, I wrote about the Seahawks’ improvement on third down since starting 0-for-3 two weeks ago against Tennessee. Russell Wilson was lethal with his arm on third down in Arizona.

Links:

> ESPN.com looks back at week 7 and talks dominating defense.

> Seahawks.com says “rush hour” arrived at the right time for Seattle.

> The Arizona Republic says the Seahawks are clearly the best team in the NFC.

> USA Today wonders if Richard Sherman is right about the Seahawks having the league’s best secondary.

> The AP also says the Seahawks are the “class of the NFC” so far.

> The 49ers’ defensive line is hurting.

> Peter King on the Broncos-Colts showdown.

1. Southendzone says:

Additional link here: Story on STL’s Micheal Brockers by SI, showing how he kicked some butt vs the Texans, included are all-22 pics breaking down 3 or 4 plays.

Having Miller back makes helps a lot on third downs.

That is having Miller back helps a lot on third downs.

5. We haven’t completely dominated teams…but neither has Denver or KC or NE in the AFC. I think the commentators on the NFL Network Thursday, while a bit over the top in their praise, are essentially right – the Seahawks will be better late in the season than now. Missing both tackles, a near star LB, and your most dangerous receiver is not something that most teams could grind through and get road wins consistently. Easier part of the schedule just ahead and we should be very good when the tough late games roll around.

I get to fly up from Vegas for the Tampa game with Mrs. Vegas…good friend gave us his season ticket seats for the game…gonna dump plenty of money in the gift shop.

6. WilliamPercival says:

This isn’t complete without the Rocket on Dockett..

I really wish they would have given him the rock too..

At least Browner was nice enough to share..

7. While I agree with Bevells play call due to the ineptitude of our line, I fully support Lynch giving him the finger. Though Lynch should be giving the finger to Cable every time he’s hit before gaining a yard…

8. Harper may get to play in GB. Good for him. I wonder if Seattle placed a waiver claim on him?

9. Brokers is a stud. So is the rest of the Rams D line and LB’s..their secondary lacks one player and experience, but they are talented.

I really wanted us to draft Trumaine Johnson from Montana; 6′ 200 lbs 4.45 40 but Fisher snatched him just like I said he would.

10. bird_spit says:

I read that bird flipping story and loved it. Marshawn is the man, and deserved that touchdown. I want to see him flipping the bird as we add him to the ring of honor.

11. raymaines says:

The Packers are a very good organization and don’t often hire free agents. This is a lucky break for Chris Harper and I hope he can take advantage of it.

Here’s a link to a nice article about how GB builds their team and why we should care:

Thanks for posting the post game show yesterday mocarob.
    I saw it after the game and I just watched it again and it still gives me chills.

13. princeaden says:

As for the Sherman comments on who’s the best secondary. Show me a better, bigger, badder set of corners. Can’t be done!! Show me a better free safety all around than ET. Can’t be done!! Lastly, show me any SS that can absolutely TRUCK a 300+ lineman and blast a RB in his tracks like Kam. Can’t be done!! End of story, without question..

While we all may agree Lynch deserved the carry there, you can’t be giving the finger to your OC there, if that’s in fact what happened. Save that for the locker room.

Also, despite So Carolina’s continued underachieving, this time against Clemson, they have two players that reming me of Carroll type players: Clowney at RDE and their RB Davis (little Marshawn). Anyway, fun to look for those type players on a perfect Satirday in October.

15. Interesting that Seattle has played – and beaten – three of the top five secondaries in the league according to the USA Today article.

16. Todd Dybas says:

Hey, everybody.

I asked the Seahawks about the Lynch video. They simply told me they don’t think it’s a big deal and added they were unsure who Lynch was, uh, communicating with.

I’m curious if he will be fined. Had he done that toward the stands and it was caught on national TV, he would be fined. Then again, as someone who doesn’t talk to the media and breaks the uniform codes, both of which lead to occasional fines, he doesn’t seem too concerned about it.

Todd

17. Washington State’s last victory was 55-16 at Oregon on Sept. 27, 2003. This would be a huge upset if they could do that again, and they have zero pressure…

WSU has next to zero chance of beating Oregon today. Lol. I predict Oregon up by 3 TDs by half.

Good news for us fans, and bad news for the 49ers.
    I hope they are not bringing him back too soon though like the Redskins did with Griffin last year.

20. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

Locker is overrated. I would say good news for the 49ers if he comes back.

Locker completed 62.2 percent of his passes for 721 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions over his first four games before suffering his injury three weeks ago.
    How has Fitzpatrick done these days? Lol.

22. Screensmoke says:

G hawk that pretty much sums it up! Nice call

23. When Shaun Alexander expressed his displeasure after a game about not getting one more carry for one more yard for the NFL Rushing Title, he was the worst person in the world according to Seahawks fans.

Yet, when Lynch gives his Coordinator the middle finger on National TV during a game and before a very important play because he does not get to pad his personal stats that will probably mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, he’s a great guy.

24. hawkdawg says:

Locker vs. who, is the question. Fitzpatrick? Not even close who Niners would rather face. Might not be enough, but no question who gives the Titans the best chance to win.

25. CDHawkFan says:

Not sure it’s padding his stats, more of a reward for running his ass off and having a TD overturned, the guy deserved another shot.

I agree with Marshawn about being pissed, but not he best timing. Most of these guys have had everyone telling them they are special since they are 12, so can’t expect them to automatically deal with this type of stuff all that well.

I don’t think I ever recall Alexander dragging five defenders eight yards down field.
    I don’t think I ever recall Alexander having a poor O-line to run behind.
    I do recall though that Alexander had arguably the greatest left side to run behind in NFL history. And a pretty good Fullback to block for him too.
    Imagine what Lynch could do with that?

Also- Lynch can block and catch. He is everything that Alexander wasn’t.
    And I don’t hate Alexander. He was a good RB but certainly not great imo.

Here is some good GIFs of gun slingers in the NFL.

I like Rivers the best.

Cutler is not bad either. Lol.

30. Southendzone says:

Wait a minute Pabuwal, Lynch has earned and proven his right to be THE MAN on offense and get that carry.

He puts more effort into any single run then Shawn Alexander ever put into anything.

The coaches have to do whats best for the team and get the TD, but it’s entirely OK for Marshawn to be upset at it.

One thing I would take issue with is if a referee saw it and threw a flag, that could reasonably occur and that would be a huge deal

31. tealskin says:

Is it positive that is what Marshawn did? I’ve read that there is some dispute. Seems out of character to me. The only picture I saw didn’t seem all that clear-cut.

32. Just got an color 8×10 autographed photo of Russell Wilson in the mail today that he sent for my 2-year old son (it’s going into a frame and will be on his wall by the end of the weekend).

33. freedom_X says:

If I were on the opposing defense and saw Marshawn do that (knowing it was directed at the OC), I’d have a much better idea of what Seattle was planning to do on the next play. That’s one reason it’s a stupid thing to do.

34. NO WAY is it OK for ML to do that! NONE – shows total disrespect to his OC, his QB and the WR all at the same time. The OC job is to score points to WIN the game. It was the EXACT RIGHT play to call at the EXACT RIGHT TIME. the defense sold out for ML and left 2 receivers open in the endzone!!!

pure selfish behavior

all that being said – i will be pulling for him to beast mode everytime he touches the ball.

35. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I just rewatched the game and paused it at that moment. He does appear to give the finger to the sidelines.. Not a very smart move Marshawn, you look very selfish and immature, especially from a guy who doesn’t talk to the media. If this turns into an issue next week your teammates are going to have to answer questions because youre a silent baby, not cool. To his credit he did do a great job of blocking on this very play. Anyway I wonder how Pete handles this.

36. MoSeahawk12 says:

Let’s not blow this thing out of proportion. Marshawn has always ran to a beat of a different drummer. I’m pretty sure Coach Pete knows how to handle this situation and I can’t start to believe this is going to be a problem going forward. Heat of the battle deal and we’re not talking about Alexander crying about not getting in and being stabbed in the back. Cure for strife is ten days before next game. Our guys are off until Tuesday. This is a non issue. Marshawn has been a total pro for this team and will continue to pound the ball and trash the other teams D.

37. The Mighty Duke was wrong Ducks only up 34-24 at half but this is a Seahawks Blog

Although I don’t agree what Lynch did was on the same premeditated level of what Alexander did I do agree with most here that it was still a knucklehead/immature thing to do that could have telegraphed to the D that the play wouldn’t be a run to him.

But I’m not surprised by it at all because that’s what Lynch is, a very talented knucklehead. Hopefully he will try to keep those type of things in check moving forward, however if he doesn’t and decides to go down the road of imploding then Carroll and crew already has his replacement waiting in the wings.

This is Wilsons team now and no RB, (no matter how good he is) will change that.

Good stuff from Condotta-

Malcolm Smith had a very good game and KJ wright didn’t imo.

Some more love for Malcolm Smith-

It wasn’t too long ago that some folks here,(including myself) were concerned about how well Smith would do as a starter. Not anymore for me.

41. This is a Seahawks blog, true. It’s still not illegal to mention other teams from time to time. Not only other teams, but sometimes people write about college games a little. Sometimes the Mariners are even mentioned – even NBA. Still, 10 years ago the Ducks were totally walloped by the Cougs – there were duck feathers left all over the field at Autzen. The Cougs haven’t won there in a decade, but they put up a good show yesterday, and they look like a team that’s ascending…