A pick … plus some other picks

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm with 28 Comments »
October 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Hey, folks.

Now that we are settled off a bit, I’ll begin making picks each week. I have to do this for the paper, so may as well put it on here and give you a chance to throw yours in.

To me, this game is pretty simple. You have arguably the best secondary in the league facing a turnover-prone passing offense.

Though, the Seahawks struggle down here, where they are 1-6 all-time at Unversity of Phoenix Stadium. Pete Carroll hasn’t won a division road game since 2011. The Seahawks are 1-3 on Thursday nights. They are 1-2 on the NFL Network. The last time they won in Arizona was 2010.

But, this is obviously a much better team than those were. Barring a repeat of the special teams disasters of the last two weeks, I think they should handle this game pretty easy. Call it 24-13, Seahawks.

> The Sporting News says to take the home underdog over and over.

> Approximately 473 people make their game pick for ESPN.

> Here are the picks at CBS.

> And, from Don Banks of SI.com.

1. I think we will see another ugly, low scoring game. Look for neither team to be able to get anything much going on offense. This game will hinge on turnovers (a battle the Seahawks should win), and maybe a special teams play – will this be the game Tate returns a punt for 6? In a tight game in the 4th quarter, I would much rather have the ball in the hands of Russell Wilson than Carson Palmer.

Seahawks win 13-9

2. raymaines says:

Seattle’s run defense will play a large part in this. If AZ can’t run they’ll have to through and then the fun begins. If they can run, then it won’t be so much fun.

When will we know who’s active and inactive?

3. raymaines says:

**throw**

4. Southendzone says:

Chris Harper waived by SF if we really want him back.

5. raymaines says:

It’s starting to look like the 2013 draft was as bad as the 2012 draft was good. Bummer.

6. I think this is the game it all comes together for RW. Seahawks 34-19.

7. yankinta says:

Southendzone,, wow, that’s great. I am pretty sure JS/PC will take him on,, to our PS, if no one claims him….

8. yankinta says:

danooly,, I like how you think and I hope you’re right. But for me it’s 24-13 as well.

9. wazzulander says:

I don’t think you can say it was a poor draft yet. I think Michael, Ware, Willson, Bowie and Hill all have shown they will be contributors going forward – Williams and Simon haven’t had a chance to show much yet do to injuries, but I have some hope for them as well.

10. yankinta says:

Southendzone,,, btw, Looks like Jake Locker will play this Sunday against the 49ers… Your blowout win by 49ers is in jeopardy,, and my pick of Titans winning a close one is looking better and better. :)

11. dirtbiker_joey says:

‘Hawks will roll tonight! Defense will score at least once and Tate will take one to the house! Seahawks 38-6

12. I’ve seen lots of Seahawk jerseys today. A small herd at the rest stop on the way from Tucson and the hotel says there are lots of Seahawks fans staying here. They look like they will be well represented at the game. I have tickets to a concert we got before the football schedule came out and will be doing that instead tonight and monitoring the game on my phone and catch it on game rewind tomorrow.

13. banosser says:

Okung is still out.. Sweezy’s still in..

Hawks 23-13

14. yankinta says:

dirtbiker_joey,, remember out exchange back and forth about ATL Falcons before the season began?? :)

15. rynehawk says:

Got a hunch we’re either going to destroy them (38-10) or we’ll lose. Really hoping for the first option. We’ve been so inconsistent in the last couple of games, I think it’s 50/50 as to which option comes to pass.

AZ is a pretty good team with a strong D. They were in that SF game and it was closer than the final score indicated.

16. …smh… :(

17. ChrisHolmes says:

Being on the road on a short week is going to be tough.

I’m really hoping that PC, Bevell and the rest of the coaches are able to make the necessary adjustments in-game on this one. Because with a short week, I just don’t know how much time you really have to gameplan and install.

18. freedom_X says:

At some point, a strong team is going to have a draft class here or there that doesn’t stick. If the team has a lot of young, quality players from previous drafts, a team wants to keep them. Having quality players around 2-3 years of experience is gold, and you’ll keep them over rookies.

If you cut the 2-3 year players to make room for rookies, then it just means the previous drafts weren’t as good as you thought they were.

The real measure is if people are picking up the players Seattle is cutting loose. Since that seems to be the case, I don’t think Seattle’s draft braintrust has shown they’re losing their touch.

A number of 3-4 year players will move on next season, and then there will be room for rookies of the same or better level to make the team (plus practice squad types.)

19. RDPoulsbo says:

20-6 Seahawks. Dockett and Peterson will make the offense struggle. I’d test Campbell early and often though. See how he handles Beast Mode coming at him. I do not think the AZ offense is much of a threat to do anything though.

20. bird_spit says:

My best guess, is by half time we will all be thinking the game is too close. After half time, Sherman gets a pick 6, and the good times get rolling. Sea 35 Az 10

21. grizindabox24 says:

Everyone keeps complaining about Sweezy, but I doubt he is benched when Okung is back, it will be Carp or McQ. Sweezy is the only Hawk to play every offensive snaps so far this season. Cable has a lil’ chub for Sweezy.

22. doubledink says:

31-13. It is time for this offense to finally click.

Good thing we don’t play the Bears. Cutler what’s wrong with you man? Lol.

24. Jordan Hill inactive