News, notes and quotes: Wilson says he doesn’t get flustered

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm with 21 Comments »
October 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Thursdays are spent with Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman. Here are the highlights of what they said:

> Wilson said he thinks his composure comes from a mix of things: playing professional football, professional baseball, his father dying in 2010, to trying to graduate early from college. “I believe just through experience. Having all these things on me all at once really prepared me for those situations. At the same time, I’m a self-motivator. I want those moments. I think about last week with a 1:55, I want the ball. There’s nothing I could ask for more. You’re going to win some, you’re going to lose some, at the end of the day, I never shy away from that moment.”

> Wilson also added: “I don’t remember the last time I was ever flustered. The biggest thing for me is I stay composed. I know I’m really young, it’s one of those things where it’s my second year in the league, I’m just starting. I understand there is going to be a process to learning the whole thing. The game’s not easy. Playing in the National Football League, everything’s not going to be perfect. They’ve got great players, too.”

> Wilson said the Tennessee defense kind of reminds him of the Seahawks’ defense. It’s a pressing, in-your-face approach, he said.

> On Sidney Rice, Russell Wilson say, “We’ll connect.”

> Wilson said he thought they stopped themselves against the Colts.

> Sherman said it’s easy to move on from Sunday, just like moving on from a win.

> Sherman also said they had a bad communication day Sunday that led to a bust.

> He’s happy for Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner, who is having a strong season. Sherman said he’s friendly with Verner and hopes Verner can keep playing well just not against them.

> On the PI calls against the Seahawks last Sunday, Sherman didn’t complain much. He said, “It’s just one of those days.”

> Sherman also says they can’t take much away from facing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick when he was with the Bills last year. Sherman says corner in particular concentrate more on concepts that the specific quarterback.

> Richard Sherman also has ruled the pass to Kevin Smith in the Washington/Stanford game incomplete.

Wilson is such a class act.

How many here now would want to start Flynn over Wilson?

2. doubledink says:

Georgia, That train left the station over a year ago.

doubledink- Yes, Agree! And it’s been a train wreck ever since.

4. doubledink says:

He’s laughing all the way to the bank, I bet.

5. doubledink says:

I don’t recall seeing any commercial jingle parodies yet. lol

6. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

We can let that one die a peaceful death. Even the most vocal (guilty as charged) to have Flynn start the early season last year have moved way past that.

Wilson is our guy and he will be for years.

7. the Legion of Boom has no reason to be bitter about penalties last week. While Seattle got some bad calls–the worst being the O.PI on Tate–the secondary got away with holding and interference on more than 10 plays that I saw…probably more. There was grabbing a guys jersey to slow him as he blew by the corner–multiple times–there was handsy, there was wrapping an arm around a guy when going for the ball, tugging of shoulder pads, you name it, Seattle got away with it.

Sherm got away with about as many as BB.

My problem with the refs is that they dont call PI consistently. If its PI on one play, then its PI all day–for both teams. If its legal for one team on one play, it better be legal for both teams, all day…But thats not how they operate. They were wildly inconsistent with their calls in that one.

But Seattle DB’s got away with A TON of crap. If Sherm had complained, I would have told him to shut his yap.

8. yankinta says:

Richard Sherman is a Joke!! that was called a catch on the field and that replay official was tooo inept to review it and realize there’s not enough to overturn the call. Pac 10 Officials are the Joke of College Football….the entire country knows!! smh…

Lol, “He’s laughing all the way to the bank, I bet.”
    Much like Curry and Rice.

He won’t be laughing very long when he can’t go out anywhere in public without folks snickering and calling him a bust.

“Flynn got the Gold mine, We got the shaft” However Wilson more then made up for that mistake.

I see you Chuck. I will let it go.
    Remember we all miss the boat around here. I missed big time on Tate, and I missed bigger time on Kearse.

11. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

It wasn’t that I missed on Wilson. I am just old school. Rookie QBs should never start.

yankinta- It’s almost time for your mother to come home and kick you off her computer. Any words of wisdom before then?

chuck- I understand.
    And looking at it now I really don’t think it would have been a big deal if Flynn would have started last year.
    If Flynn started and struggled I’m sure Wilson would have been ready to take over.

14. TallyHawk says:

Is the ball being uncatchable not a factor anymore? I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a ref pick up a PI flag for it.

15. MoSeahawk12 says:

Now Sherman is a joke? Ok, you know he went to Stanford right? You always side with your college. One day if you go you might find out.

Kearse has to wear Stanford stuff for a day due to losing a bet with Baldwin, Sherman’s teammate.

I’d ask the doc if he could switch up your meds. Is Aaron Curry Still a bust?

16. seahawkfan97 says:

Pac 12!!!

17. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, don’t hate just cuz I am not some loser that spends 24/7 on this blog…. some people have lives,,, still got love for you though… :)

18. Yanker–its not having a life keeping you from being on this blog nonstop, it’s having to go back to your HS classes…

19. yankinta says:

yeah you’re right. I’m still in HS, yet I’m still smarter and have more Football knowledge than you. Why is that you ask?? Well, it’s because I trust my eyes more than when ESPN tells us. :)

20. MoSeahawk12 says:

I’d get to the eye doc fast.