Tweet link: A word from Percy Harvin

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm with 29 Comments »
October 7, 2013 1:21 pm

We’ll try to get Pete Carroll to extrapolate on this at 3 p.m. when we meet with him. But, for now, there’s this (remembering he can’t play until week 7, at the earliest):

1. I do think that the Hawks releasing Williams says something about when they believe Harvin will be ready. I would guess that he gets some plays come week 7 and really gets involved week 8 and after.

2. thursday says:

I’m ready.

3. bird_spit says:

Raiders released Flynn…where will he land??

4. yankinta says:

Yup Yup, just as I said/expected he’s back way earlier than what the so called experts/doctors said he could….. I’m not surprised at all. Now I cannot wait to see what the Offense look like with Harvin in it!!

5. Yep, I’m sure you know wayyyy more about recovering from hip surgery than most doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Just part of your magnificence and brilliance. SMH, :-) :-) :-0

6. bird_spit says:

Yank after reading your words on the last post, I’m officially joining the group of readers wishing for an ignore button. Dude you need to lighten up. If you were old enough to drink, I’d invite you to have a drink or two if you promise to let me talk or my friends talk…lord knows he need to slip you a chill pill.

7. We need Percy to give our offense a boost and take some burden off RW.
    If DangeRuss keeps running like he has the last few games, he may end up injured like RG III. He took some pretty good licks yesterday, both in the pocket and outside of it.

What I noticed this year is that he’s still pretty smart about running out of bounds and sliding when he can, but he’s getting popped a bit more and willing to take more of those hard hits so he can gain those much needed yards and first downs for the team. I think he feels he has to step up and take over in those crunch time moments, which is fine, but it is exposing his body to injury from taking so many more risks.

8. bird_spit, just give the yanksta some sizzurp and he’ll be fine:)

9. RDPoulsbo says:

I was expecting him back earlier than most were expecting as well, but I see no reason to crow about my prediction.

I think dropping Williams is somewhat of an indication, but still means keeping only 4 active WRs for 2 weeks in a row. That’s tempting fate that something could have happened last week and next.

This upcoming soft patch in the schedule is going to be much needed to get guys worked back into the lineup. I’m not so concerned about Harvin as much as the guys on the o-line.

10. yankinta says:

nah, I’m just felt like poking those that’s been calling me out all day. sorry, couldn’t resist. :)

11. yankinta says:

p.s, I’m trying to count how many hate comments I get in a day… lol trying to break the world record…. lol :)

12. tchristensen says:

It would be great to see Bowie at left tackle as soon as Breno’s ready to go. McQuistan was pretty bad yesterday.

13. I’m excited to see Percy, but when is Okung back? that’s the gaping hole in the lineup right now . . . .

14. I was hoping McQ would be marginally better in his 2nd game starting at LT — if anything he was worse. How many times did Mathis simply run around him, or spin past him? Watching the game film from yesterday has got to be brutal for him.

15. Southendzone says:

Haha Tchristensen, yesterday watching the game my wife said “Wow, why is Russell running for his life all the time, is it always like that?”

I had to explain about the 3 backups on OL and then point at McQ in particular and explain how hes way too slow to fight off those speedy D Ends that go around him.

16. WiscCory says:

Percy comes back, and then the Hawks can move Golden Tate to LT or one of the guards…

17. DanielleMND says:

It’ll be nice to have Harvin on the field, but it would be even better to have Okung back (and Unger and Giacomini).

18. Id rather hear that Okung is nearly back. I know, he isnt even allowed to return for a few weeks. But still, tell me what difference Harvin will make when we cant even get Tate the ball 5 times a game–not even with quick screens–because the line cant protect RW at all?!

And IM concerned Harvin coming back will be like getting Joey Galloway back–a team that was rolling without him began forcing the ball, real playmakers (like Baldwin) got less snaps and the team fell apart.

While this team had a bad day on defense and obviously Quinn doesnt really know how to use all his toys just yet, the real achilles heal of hte team, and the one thing holding us back, is the offensive line. Harvin wont help them play better one bit.

So, I couldnt care less about Harvin or his recovery at the moment.

19. Its time to see what Bailey can do at LT. Dont see how he could be worse over an entire season than McQ. I get that he’s mentally behind McQ, but physically he’s already far better. If Sweezy is still playing not because he’s the best, but because the only way to improve is to play, then Bailey sure as hell should be starting at LT in place of McQ.

20. ChrisHolmes says:

I’m hoping when Percy returns we’ll see a shift in the gameplan such that we’re running less read-option and more screens/rollouts/quick-hitters to get him involved.

Right now it feels like Bevell thinks the only toy he has to play with is RW.

bbmate – As my father used to say about people like him: They may not always be right, but they are *never* wrong.

Lol Dukeshire, My father used to say the same thing.

Lol. He must have been a good man…

24. Southendzone says:

Chris Holmes, here’s my take on the Offense which sort of meshes with what you’re saying.

The Hawks went into this year not expecting to use R/O much at all, hoping for a more dynamic attack with Harvin. PH goes down and week 1 we see almost no R/O, also the offense struggles pretty severely.

Week 2 we see the R/O creep back a bit to the point of last week we saw it a LOT. It’s like Bevell’s security blanket because it was so successful for him last year.

I think a lot of it is due to the shortcomings of the O-Line with the injuries, they can’t protect well enough right now to do what he planned for in the offseason, but it doesn’t matter on those R/O plays.

25. doubledink says:

Yes Yank, you called this one from day 1, if Harvin does indeed return by mid Oct as you predicted.

Just like you called RW our future QB from day one. Oh, wait. Day 113.
    My bad.

26. I noticed we ran a slant from the outside WR on third down vs Indy. It worked too, except we only got 9 yards and needed 10.

You know, Darrell Jackson was a killer on that play for Holmy. He’d use that play from various spots–Slot, SE, FL–all game long, and run properly, its nearly impossible to defend. And RW seems to be able to run it; so why in the hell arent we using some of the original WCO timing pattern short passes, like the slant?!

27. my mom has a sign that says “I’m sometimes wrong, but never in doubt”

28. ChrisHolmes says:

Southendzone: I think you’re correct. I do think, like you, that the read-option is somewhat of a security blanket play for Bevell. Especially when the OL isn’t playing well. That, again, is why it’s popular in college: it’s not a play that requires stud talent to run. The tackle can block down with the guard and leave the DE free. I mean, hell, if you’re the tackle and you’re facing an athletic guy like Mathis with 7.5 sacks to his name already, you love that call in the huddle!

But the Colts showed how to defend it, and so I think Bevell needs to extend his list of security blanket plays to something other than just the read-option. Screens, draws, bootlegs… there’s a lot of things the Hawks can do, and a lot of plays they can run, that could give Wilson and Co. a chance to be successful on any given down.

I just re-examined the pricing for the all-22 film. It’s cheaper than I thought, especially if all I want is Seattle, which I do. I’ll be looking at the tape from the game tomorrow and doing some analysis on the passing downs. I want to see, in particular, what’s happening with Rice, and what’s happening with the routes.

My suspicion is that Carroll is spot-on when he says the failures on 3rd down are largely the result of the line. And if that’s the case, it will show up on the tape. If Russell doesn’t have time to wait for his guys to come out of their breaks and complete their routes, that’s not his fault, and it’s not the receiver’s fault. So we’ll see what the tape says.

29. Hey Chris and Duke – thanks for taking the time to break down the tape and share your thoughts. I’m sure there are many like me who have been fans for life but don’t have the football smarts to delve into the details. I enjoy your analysis.